So INCEPTION is One of the BEST Movies I have ever seen... Vol. Christopher "The Man" Nolan

Originally Posted by ekon one

**SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS OR GIVE THEIR OWN THEORY TO HELP SETTLE A DEBATE**:

How come Leo and Juno both were able to get into Limbo without killing themselves? I'm a pretty smart guy, but did I miss something? Currently I'm standing by the idea this is a major plot hole.

I think they went into Leo's dream together, not limbo. Then from there, Juno jumped off the building to get out of that dream, but Leo stayed behind to die with the collapsing building. Then he went into limbo alone.

But I'd need to see that whole scene again to be sure.

**SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS OR GIVE THEIR OWN THEORY TO HELP SETTLE A DEBATE**:

How come Leo and Juno both were able to get into Limbo without killing themselves? I'm a pretty smart guy, but did I miss something? Currently I'm standing by the idea this is a major plot hole.

I think they went into Leo's dream together, not limbo. Then from there, Juno jumped off the building to get out of that dream, but Leo stayed behind to die with the collapsing building. Then he went into limbo alone.

But I'd need to see that whole scene again to be sure.

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

916kings wrote:
Mal and Cobb never really left limbo at least, not that layer of it. When Mal jumped off the building, she gave herself the very same "kick" that Ariadne improvised later on in the movie. Mal was right about still being in the dream world. Cobb was still engulfed in limbo and didn't realize it. When Cobb and Mal had killed themselves with the train, they simply moved one layer deeper just like Saito did when he was killed, Fischer did when he was killed, and so on (this happens again at the end of the film when Saito picks up the gun in front of Cobb). 
The only problem i have with this theory is that before going to Mombasa Cobb used his totem at least twice and on both occasions it stopped spinning. Therefore, Cobb had to be awake at least part of the movie and Mal's death had to have been real. If you argue that the totem was a projection of Cobb then it wouldnt really have a purpose and the end of the movie would not be so debatable. Also it wouldn't make sense for there to be another level deeper than limbo and for that level to come after you kill yourself in limbo.

but we learn that the totem isn't leo's... it's actually his wife's. we are led to believe that your totem is sacred. juno isn't even aloud to touch "the action guy's" loaded die. (forgot his name) so we don't know what effects there are of leo using his wife's totem as his own.

i think he was dreaming but i'm not sure at what part the dream starts. the children are the same age in the same clothing and position. Too much for me to overlook. plus we don't see the grandmother.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

Originally Posted by Dapper D

Really, really good movie...Nolan has one hell of a mind...
Like others, there were parts that I was confused by (the whole limbo #++@) but I got the gist of it...

I don't if anyone else brought this up but throughout the movie I kept thinking...Damn this would have been a dope idea for the next Batman movie...

Like the Riddler goes inside Batman's head (or vice versa) or he makes it so that Batman is stuck in a dream state and he doesn't know what's real or not...

some #++@ like that...I don't know
laugh.gif

there's actually an episode from batman the animated series that follows a similar plot, except the villain who does it is the mad hatter.

one of my favorite batman TAS episodes
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The Nolan brothers did crazy research for Begins and TDK. Maybe they ran across that ep and started getting ideas? Do you remember what it was called?

the episode is called Perchance to Dream.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by Dapper D

Really, really good movie...Nolan has one hell of a mind...
Like others, there were parts that I was confused by (the whole limbo #++@) but I got the gist of it...

I don't if anyone else brought this up but throughout the movie I kept thinking...Damn this would have been a dope idea for the next Batman movie...

Like the Riddler goes inside Batman's head (or vice versa) or he makes it so that Batman is stuck in a dream state and he doesn't know what's real or not...

some #++@ like that...I don't know
laugh.gif

there's actually an episode from batman the animated series that follows a similar plot, except the villain who does it is the mad hatter.

one of my favorite batman TAS episodes
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The Nolan brothers did crazy research for Begins and TDK. Maybe they ran across that ep and started getting ideas? Do you remember what it was called?

the episode is called Perchance to Dream.

Originally Posted by emmanuelabor

where are you guys seeing the Matrix in this movie?
I dont see the connection at all
I really feel like this movie was pretty straight forward...with the only question really being if Cobb is dreaming or not

matrix: plugged into a giant computer that shows you a fake world as the real world.
inception: plugged into a dream machine that shows you a fake world as the real world.

hmmph.....I guess I didnt see the connection cause I didnt really see it as the people plugging into a machine in the same sense that they did in the Matrix.  maybe I shoulda thought about it more...I just thought they were takin something to force and keep them sleep....didnt make the connection that they were doing it in a computer....but then...is that lil briefcase "the machine"?  I thought it just doled out the sedative to keep them sleep

well the machine hooks everyone up to a single "mechanism" so they can share a dream. that's what i got from it anyway, otherwise what's preventing people from just hooking up to the suitcase and invading random people's dreams? they make it a point that everyone needs to be together and hooked up to the same suitcase. i think the sedative they used was just an added mixture that was put into the machine.

where are you guys seeing the Matrix in this movie?
I dont see the connection at all
I really feel like this movie was pretty straight forward...with the only question really being if Cobb is dreaming or not

matrix: plugged into a giant computer that shows you a fake world as the real world.
inception: plugged into a dream machine that shows you a fake world as the real world.

hmmph.....I guess I didnt see the connection cause I didnt really see it as the people plugging into a machine in the same sense that they did in the Matrix.  maybe I shoulda thought about it more...I just thought they were takin something to force and keep them sleep....didnt make the connection that they were doing it in a computer....but then...is that lil briefcase "the machine"?  I thought it just doled out the sedative to keep them sleep

well the machine hooks everyone up to a single "mechanism" so they can share a dream. that's what i got from it anyway, otherwise what's preventing people from just hooking up to the suitcase and invading random people's dreams? they make it a point that everyone needs to be together and hooked up to the same suitcase. i think the sedative they used was just an added mixture that was put into the machine.

Smoking before seeing this was a terrible idea... I was so confused... def need to see this again

Smoking before seeing this was a terrible idea... I was so confused... def need to see this again

Question for those who followed the movie closer than me.

Spoiler [+]
Why is it that in Fisher's dream, Leo's wife shows up? I thought only Fisher's subconscious could be in Fisher's dreams.

Also, Why do Leo's last two movies have the EXACT same subplot.

Spoiler [+]
Why is it that in Fisher's dream, Leo's wife shows up? I thought only Fisher's subconscious could be in Fisher's dreams.

Originally Posted by AG 47

Spoiler [+]

subconciously she (mal) knows everything leo knows which is whyadriedne never told him any of the dream layouts, it wasnt until shetold him about the heating duct or whatever it was that mal showed up

they all share the dream, any of their subconscious figures can show upin the dream, the only thin special about the dreamer is that theyarchitect the world

mal even showed up when adriedne architected the bridge earlier in the film

Spoiler [+]

subconciously she (mal) knows everything leo knows which is whyadriedne never told him any of the dream layouts, it wasnt until shetold him about the heating duct or whatever it was that mal showed up

they all share the dream, any of their subconscious figures can show upin the dream, the only thin special about the dreamer is that theyarchitect the world

Spoiler [+]

You can bring your own projections into other people's dreams.

Spoiler [+]

You can bring your own projections into other people's dreams.

They plugged into a machine to get to the next dream. Only one in Limbo was Leo when he dies in the van underwater.

They plugged into a machine to get to the next dream. Only one in Limbo was Leo when he dies in the van underwater.

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Spoiler [+]

subconciously she (mal) knows everything leo knows which is why
adriedne never told him any of the dream layouts, it wasnt until she
told him about the heating duct or whatever it was that mal showed up

they all share the dream, any of their subconscious figures can show up
in the dream, the only thin special about the dreamer is that they
architect the world

I realize they all shared the dream, but I thought the person who's idea you're trying to extract could only have their subconscious present.

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Spoiler [+]

subconciously she (mal) knows everything leo knows which is why
adriedne never told him any of the dream layouts, it wasnt until she
told him about the heating duct or whatever it was that mal showed up

they all share the dream, any of their subconscious figures can show up
in the dream, the only thin special about the dreamer is that they
architect the world

I realize they all shared the dream, but I thought the person who's idea you're trying to extract could only have their subconscious present.

Back
Top Bottom