So INCEPTION is One of the BEST Movies I have ever seen... Vol. Christopher "The Man" Nolan

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by Noskey

I have a question. Can someone explain what limbo is? I mean I kinda get it and I kinda don't. I was thinking maybe it's a metaphor for a person who doesnt let go of the past (Leo). I got that when Sal said he was an old man living with regret when he got stuck in limbo. But I mean I know Leo was in limbo for 50 years but that doesnt mean he was sleep for 50 years. So can someone try and help me understand limbo?

Very basically:
Limbo is where you go when you dont get kicked out of the dream, and die. You can only go to limbo if the sedative used to put you to sleep is so strong that instead of death waking you up, as it would usually, instead puts you into a deeper level of dreams. A level deep enough where time is basically stopped for your body, but accelerated for your mind. Hence Leo aging 50 years in his dream, while his body aged hours.

To get out of limbo, you need to be kicked out or die in your dream (I'm assuming after the sedatives have worn off). But I guess the trick is that no one really knew that you had to die, until Cobb and Mal just said 'lets kill ourselves and see what happens!"

Maybe that wasnt so basic?
ohwell.gif

I mean I understand that. So I guess the deeper level of dreams your mind is going faster than your body but in limbo your body just stops? It's such a weird concept for me to grasp.
Sort of. When you dream, your mind is already working extra hard. And dreams only last 5-45 minutes on average in real time, but I'm sure you've had dreams that feel like an entire day, as I have. Now imagine that you go into another dream through the first. Time in your mind is gonna be sped up even faster. By the time you enter limbo, you're so many dreams deep that with how fast your mind is working, the time in your dream is accelerated to a point where 10 seconds in real time could be years in your dream.
Hence Saito aging ~30 years in his limbo, while he aged ~2 hours on the airplane.

Originally Posted by Noskey

I have a question. Can someone explain what limbo is? I mean I kinda get it and I kinda don't. I was thinking maybe it's a metaphor for a person who doesnt let go of the past (Leo). I got that when Sal said he was an old man living with regret when he got stuck in limbo. But I mean I know Leo was in limbo for 50 years but that doesnt mean he was sleep for 50 years. So can someone try and help me understand limbo?

Very basically:
Limbo is where you go when you dont get kicked out of the dream, and die. You can only go to limbo if the sedative used to put you to sleep is so strong that instead of death waking you up, as it would usually, instead puts you into a deeper level of dreams. A level deep enough where time is basically stopped for your body, but accelerated for your mind. Hence Leo aging 50 years in his dream, while his body aged hours.

To get out of limbo, you need to be kicked out or die in your dream (I'm assuming after the sedatives have worn off). But I guess the trick is that no one really knew that you had to die, until Cobb and Mal just said 'lets kill ourselves and see what happens!"

Maybe that wasnt so basic?
ohwell.gif

I mean I understand that. So I guess the deeper level of dreams your mind is going faster than your body but in limbo your body just stops? It's such a weird concept for me to grasp.
Sort of. When you dream, your mind is already working extra hard. And dreams only last 5-45 minutes on average in real time, but I'm sure you've had dreams that feel like an entire day, as I have. Now imagine that you go into another dream through the first. Time in your mind is gonna be sped up even faster. By the time you enter limbo, you're so many dreams deep that with how fast your mind is working, the time in your dream is accelerated to a point where 10 seconds in real time could be years in your dream.
Hence Saito aging ~30 years in his limbo, while he aged ~2 hours on the airplane.

Originally Posted by Andrew630

How was this movie confusing?!?!?
The first hour when not much happened, they had the guy with the thickest accent explain a lot of really important $*+*. I think that's a good way to get people to not pay attention.

Originally Posted by Andrew630

How was this movie confusing?!?!?
The first hour when not much happened, they had the guy with the thickest accent explain a lot of really important $*+*. I think that's a good way to get people to not pay attention.

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

Originally Posted by emmanuelabor

where are you guys seeing the Matrix in this movie?
I dont see the connection at all
I really feel like this movie was pretty straight forward...with the only question really being if Cobb is dreaming or not

matrix: plugged into a giant computer that shows you a fake world as the real world.
inception: plugged into a dream machine that shows you a fake world as the real world.

hmmph.....I guess I didnt see the connection cause I didnt really see it as the people plugging into a machine in the same sense that they did in the Matrix.  maybe I shoulda thought about it more...I just thought they were takin something to force and keep them sleep....didnt make the connection that they were doing it in a computer....but then...is that lil briefcase "the machine"?  I thought it just doled out the sedative to keep them sleep

I really feel like this movie was pretty straight forward...with the only question really being if Cobb is dreaming or not

matrix: plugged into a giant computer that shows you a fake world as the real world.
inception: plugged into a dream machine that shows you a fake world as the real world.

hmmph.....I guess I didnt see the connection cause I didnt really see it as the people plugging into a machine in the same sense that they did in the Matrix.  maybe I shoulda thought about it more...I just thought they were takin something to force and keep them sleep....didnt make the connection that they were doing it in a computer....but then...is that lil briefcase "the machine"?  I thought it just doled out the sedative to keep them sleep

916kings wrote:
Mal and Cobb never really left limbo at least, not that layer of it. When Mal jumped off the building, she gave herself the very same "kick" that Ariadne improvised later on in the movie. Mal was right about still being in the dream world. Cobb was still engulfed in limbo and didn't realize it. When Cobb and Mal had killed themselves with the train, they simply moved one layer deeper just like Saito did when he was killed, Fischer did when he was killed, and so on (this happens again at the end of the film when Saito picks up the gun in front of Cobb). 

The only problem i have with this theory is that before going to Mombasa Cobb used his totem at least twice and on both occasions it stopped spinning. Therefore, Cobb had to be awake at least part of the movie and Mal's death had to have been real. If you argue that the totem was a projection of Cobb then it wouldnt really have a purpose and the end of the movie would not be so debatable. Also it wouldn't make sense for there to be another level deeper than limbo and for that level to come after you kill yourself in limbo.

916kings wrote:
Mal and Cobb never really left limbo at least, not that layer of it. When Mal jumped off the building, she gave herself the very same "kick" that Ariadne improvised later on in the movie. Mal was right about still being in the dream world. Cobb was still engulfed in limbo and didn't realize it. When Cobb and Mal had killed themselves with the train, they simply moved one layer deeper just like Saito did when he was killed, Fischer did when he was killed, and so on (this happens again at the end of the film when Saito picks up the gun in front of Cobb). 

The only problem i have with this theory is that before going to Mombasa Cobb used his totem at least twice and on both occasions it stopped spinning. Therefore, Cobb had to be awake at least part of the movie and Mal's death had to have been real. If you argue that the totem was a projection of Cobb then it wouldnt really have a purpose and the end of the movie would not be so debatable. Also it wouldn't make sense for there to be another level deeper than limbo and for that level to come after you kill yourself in limbo.

laugh.gif
Not to mention all the titles that were give to the characters with special roles on the team.

the architect, the forger, the pointman... Just like the matrix had the keyholder, etc.

But ya, super strong parallels with the matrix.

laugh.gif
Not to mention all the titles that were give to the characters with special roles on the team.

the architect, the forger, the pointman... Just like the matrix had the keyholder, etc.

But ya, super strong parallels with the matrix.

nah...not buyin the titles as "super strong" parallels. The architect...okay, but tactical teams always have titles

nah...not buyin the titles as "super strong" parallels. The architect...okay, but tactical teams always have titles

This might be one of the best movies I have ever seen. From the, at times, complex script and filming itself, the movie was amazing. Some parts were made me scratch my head, but my friends that I was with quickly covered what I had been confused about.

Nolan and  DiCaprio
pimp.gif

This might be one of the best movies I have ever seen. From the, at times, complex script and filming itself, the movie was amazing. Some parts were made me scratch my head, but my friends that I was with quickly covered what I had been confused about.

Nolan and  DiCaprio
pimp.gif

**SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS OR GIVE THEIR OWN THEORY TO HELP SETTLE A DEBATE**:

How come Leo and Juno both were able to get into Limbo without killing themselves? I'm a pretty smart guy, but did I miss something? Currently I'm standing by the idea this is a major plot hole.

**SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS OR GIVE THEIR OWN THEORY TO HELP SETTLE A DEBATE**:

How come Leo and Juno both were able to get into Limbo without killing themselves? I'm a pretty smart guy, but did I miss something? Currently I'm standing by the idea this is a major plot hole.

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

916kings wrote:

but we learn that the totem isn't leo's... it's actually his wife's. we are led to believe that your totem is sacred. juno isn't even aloud to touch "the action guy's" loaded die. (forgot his name) so we don't know what effects there are of leo using his wife's totem as his own.

i think he was dreaming but i'm not sure at what part the dream starts. the children are the same age in the same clothing and position. Too much for me to overlook. plus we don't see the grandmother.

Back
Top Bottom