So who else is sending their child to a private school? VOL. "I value education."

nah.. all of the private school kids i know either went to state, CC, or worked a dead end job right outta HS..

nah.. all of the private school kids i know either went to state, CC, or worked a dead end job right outta HS..

I'm home schooling my daughter.

They'll miss out on the social piece of actually being around other kids in a school setting....the social aspect IMO, is JUST as important as the academics. 

Myth.

They'll miss out on the social piece of actually being around other kids in a school setting....the social aspect IMO, is JUST as important as the academics. 

Myth.

My oldest daughter is starting Pre-K this year in private school.
The school district that we live in is decent, but I want to give her a good educational foundation with
small classroom sizes and the best teachers.  We plan enroll her into public schools in the 2nd grade so that she
is able to grow in a realistic social environment.
The financial commitment is huge, but it all pays off in the long run.

My oldest daughter is starting Pre-K this year in private school.
The school district that we live in is decent, but I want to give her a good educational foundation with
small classroom sizes and the best teachers.  We plan enroll her into public schools in the 2nd grade so that she
is able to grow in a realistic social environment.
The financial commitment is huge, but it all pays off in the long run.

Originally Posted by rashi

Myth.

Depends on the way that you do the homeschooling....but it's not a myth.  I should have clarified my comments a little better. 

if you got good parents on your back stressing the importance of taking school seriously, you'll do good whether it be in a private school or public school.

In a lot of urban settings there are kids who are ostracized by their peer groups for showing an interest in academics.  There are a lot of kids with IMMENSE potential who fall through the cracks (despite what their parents stress) because of where their school is located and the demographic. 

Originally Posted by rashi

Myth.

Depends on the way that you do the homeschooling....but it's not a myth.  I should have clarified my comments a little better. 

if you got good parents on your back stressing the importance of taking school seriously, you'll do good whether it be in a private school or public school.

In a lot of urban settings there are kids who are ostracized by their peer groups for showing an interest in academics.  There are a lot of kids with IMMENSE potential who fall through the cracks (despite what their parents stress) because of where their school is located and the demographic. 

I knew plenty of kids who went to private schools.. they were the worst
laugh.gif

I knew plenty of kids who went to private schools.. they were the worst
laugh.gif

I don't care where I live in the country, my kid is goin' to private school back home (DC)...

...Gonzaga ('99 beeyotch!!!), Sidwell, St. Albans, GDS, Maret, Visitation, NCS, and even Carroll - we have the best private schools in the nation.

And if you take it to the suburbs, you've got G-town Prep, Landon, Bullis, Dematha, Langley, Ireton, Paul VI, etc...

...I don't know about other regions, but DC area private schools are a clique - no matter what school you go/went to, it's only like 3 degrees of separation at the most - unless you're a loser, everybody knows everybody.
You don't realize how much that comes in handy until about a decade after you've graduated...

I don't care where I live in the country, my kid is goin' to private school back home (DC)...

...Gonzaga ('99 beeyotch!!!), Sidwell, St. Albans, GDS, Maret, Visitation, NCS, and even Carroll - we have the best private schools in the nation.

And if you take it to the suburbs, you've got G-town Prep, Landon, Bullis, Dematha, Langley, Ireton, Paul VI, etc...

...I don't know about other regions, but DC area private schools are a clique - no matter what school you go/went to, it's only like 3 degrees of separation at the most - unless you're a loser, everybody knows everybody.
You don't realize how much that comes in handy until about a decade after you've graduated...

Originally Posted by likethematrix

2liplegit... how u a scholar yet "acting a donkey wit it"
cuz Im
pimp.gif
bruh

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

If Im in the US? HEEELLLLLL NOOOO

When we lived in Africa I went to private schools, but when we moved here, my parents picked the neighborhood we moved into based on what schools me and my bro would be going to. Ive gone to a lot of different schools cuz of moving and I definitely feel that the cost of private school here isnt worth it for what youre getting. If it was only a few thousand a year, I might be able to justify it, but not at the prices Ive heard for the schools down here.

When we came back here from England (where I had gotten into a school for smart kids, and gone for free) I was definitely ahead in math and science, compared to other kids in public schools here, but I was ahead of the private school kids too.

I graduated top 1% in a big !%$ high school because I had taken mad APs, I think I took 3 regular classes ever and Im ahead of pretty much everyone at my college now, and its private. It really comes down to you takin the hardest classes you can and finding a good school district, do that and as a youngin you are MORE than good for college.

i'm debating sending my kids abroad for school
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
I only really see it workin if youre kids want it without you even pushin for it, which probably wont happen unless you move around a lot. My lil brothers leavin to go back to Denmark this summer and gonna finish IB there while gettin a US diploma through online school. No clue why though, hes never been there for more than a couple months at a time and I know Id hate to live in that damn place

Originally Posted by likethematrix

2liplegit... how u a scholar yet "acting a donkey wit it"
cuz Im
pimp.gif
bruh

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

If Im in the US? HEEELLLLLL NOOOO

When we lived in Africa I went to private schools, but when we moved here, my parents picked the neighborhood we moved into based on what schools me and my bro would be going to. Ive gone to a lot of different schools cuz of moving and I definitely feel that the cost of private school here isnt worth it for what youre getting. If it was only a few thousand a year, I might be able to justify it, but not at the prices Ive heard for the schools down here.

When we came back here from England (where I had gotten into a school for smart kids, and gone for free) I was definitely ahead in math and science, compared to other kids in public schools here, but I was ahead of the private school kids too.

I graduated top 1% in a big !%$ high school because I had taken mad APs, I think I took 3 regular classes ever and Im ahead of pretty much everyone at my college now, and its private. It really comes down to you takin the hardest classes you can and finding a good school district, do that and as a youngin you are MORE than good for college.

i'm debating sending my kids abroad for school
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
I only really see it workin if youre kids want it without you even pushin for it, which probably wont happen unless you move around a lot. My lil brothers leavin to go back to Denmark this summer and gonna finish IB there while gettin a US diploma through online school. No clue why though, hes never been there for more than a couple months at a time and I know Id hate to live in that damn place

When considering whether to go private or public, a critical element is the social one. Home schooling is quite possibly the absolute worst move you can make. Even if your parents are both geniuses, it's a bad look. I know an entire home school group and all of them have grown to be socially inept people. You miss out on so much by not having diversity around you growing up. Yes, there are other kids in the program, but they're typically all similar or from similar households. Also, the shock of going to college after being home schooled your entire life is ridiculous. The student had virtually no chance of handling the new social pressures and issues that they find.

Public school has the most diversity... Which is good and bad. Youths a impressionable and if they get in with the wrong crowd, they could do life damage that could be irreparable (get pregnant, go to jail, etc.). Public schools are also what you make them. We had kids at my high school drop out and some go to Harvard. Nobody in the staff cares if you do well or not because there are too many people there for them to be concerned with your personal issues.

Private school can--emphasis on can--be much better in regards to attention paid to students. My private school kept s low student count (>400) so that everybody would be known on a first name basis... Keep in mind the school was from babies to eighth grade. Obviously, to keep a school afloat and exclusive with class sizes that small, it cost a fortune... Like more than most local colleges. It also looks good if you're applying to competitive high schools... Which helps wi getting into competitive colleges... Etc. So the benefit of going to s GOOD private school ar invaluable.

Keep in mind there are LOTS of bad private schools, too. Not all of them go to such great lengths to ensure a good student body as mine did.

It really boils down to finances and your kid. If you know your kid needs the extra attention, public school won't be a good fit. If you know your kid has motivation to do well regardless of the scenery, then put them in s private school and watch them outdo all of the lazy students. Of course, if private school is too expensive, just try to strategically pick public schools. Many of the better ones have magnet programs and students outside of their zone can still get in and attend classes there for free.

I've been to public and private schools and have friends involved in both and also in home schooling.

When considering whether to go private or public, a critical element is the social one. Home schooling is quite possibly the absolute worst move you can make. Even if your parents are both geniuses, it's a bad look. I know an entire home school group and all of them have grown to be socially inept people. You miss out on so much by not having diversity around you growing up. Yes, there are other kids in the program, but they're typically all similar or from similar households. Also, the shock of going to college after being home schooled your entire life is ridiculous. The student had virtually no chance of handling the new social pressures and issues that they find.

Public school has the most diversity... Which is good and bad. Youths a impressionable and if they get in with the wrong crowd, they could do life damage that could be irreparable (get pregnant, go to jail, etc.). Public schools are also what you make them. We had kids at my high school drop out and some go to Harvard. Nobody in the staff cares if you do well or not because there are too many people there for them to be concerned with your personal issues.

Private school can--emphasis on can--be much better in regards to attention paid to students. My private school kept s low student count (>400) so that everybody would be known on a first name basis... Keep in mind the school was from babies to eighth grade. Obviously, to keep a school afloat and exclusive with class sizes that small, it cost a fortune... Like more than most local colleges. It also looks good if you're applying to competitive high schools... Which helps wi getting into competitive colleges... Etc. So the benefit of going to s GOOD private school ar invaluable.

Keep in mind there are LOTS of bad private schools, too. Not all of them go to such great lengths to ensure a good student body as mine did.

It really boils down to finances and your kid. If you know your kid needs the extra attention, public school won't be a good fit. If you know your kid has motivation to do well regardless of the scenery, then put them in s private school and watch them outdo all of the lazy students. Of course, if private school is too expensive, just try to strategically pick public schools. Many of the better ones have magnet programs and students outside of their zone can still get in and attend classes there for free.

I've been to public and private schools and have friends involved in both and also in home schooling.

I personally went to a public school and I was way to over prepared for college. I actually find high school harder and a much bigger workload than college. You have kids in college complaining about doing a 6 page research paper
30t6p3b.gif

I personally went to a public school and I was way to over prepared for college. I actually find high school harder and a much bigger workload than college. You have kids in college complaining about doing a 6 page research paper
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom