Sources: Hornets fire Scott

[h2]Sources: Hornets fire Scott[/h2]
The New Orleans Hornets have responded to their 3-6 start by making the first coaching change of the young NBA season, firing Byron Scott on Thursday, according to NBA coaching sources.

Sources said the Hornets made the decision to dismiss Scott following New Orleans' 124-104 loss in Phoenix on Wednesday night and will formally announce the move later Thursday.

It was not immediately known who will replace Scott.

Scott won NBA Coach of the Year honors in 2008 after he and franchise point guard Chris Paul led the Hornets to a 56-26 record and the Southwest Division title. The Hornets then defeated Dallas in the first round of the playoffs and were within one win of the West finals before losing Game 7 at home to the San Antonio Spurs.

The Hornets slumped slightly to a 49-33 record last season, thanks partly to a flurry of injuries. They were pounded in the first round of the playoffs by Denver, losing the final home game of the season -- Game 4 of the series -- by a whopping 58 points.

Scott hung onto his job after the early exit but couldn't survive New Orleans' poor start, even though the many holes on the Hornets' roster -- with no consistent scorer at the wing positions and little depth -- appeared to be beyond his control. A number of league observers considered a coaching change inevitable if the Hornets struggled this season.

The firing is the second major move the Hornets have made since the end of last season in an attempt to address Paul's growing frustrations. In July, New Orleans sent center Tyson Chandler, who was plagued by foot problems throughout last season, to the Charlotte Bobcats for Emeka Okafor.

The team's payroll is more than $3 million over the league's $69.9 million luxury-tax threshold, making owner George Shinn reluctant to sanction further roster renovations. The Hornets have been trying to make moves to get under the luxury-tax line since acquiring Okafor, as opposed to searching for players who can bolster Paul's supporting cast.

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

I want the Lakers to hire Scott immediately. Put him on the end of the bench and let Phil work with him.

It's not his fault...but I guess someone had to take the blame.

Management needs to surround Chris Paul with more actual talent.

smh.gif

2008 NBA Coach of the Year
2009 First Fired Coach of the Year
sick.gif

CP1708:
I want the Lakers to hire Scott immediately. Put him on the end of the bench and let Phil work with him.
THIS
I've been saying 'Scott to replace Phil' for like 3 years now, and people always respond that he's not that good and Kidd/Paul were theonly reasons he even looks decent as a coach. I don't buy it.

Originally Posted by ClevelandsPrince23

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

smh.gif

2008 NBA Coach of the Year
2009 First Fired Coach of the Year
sick.gif

um what?
He's talking about the year before LeBron won it...........2007-2008 NBA Coach of the Year

SMH. Dude was just Coach of the Year in the 07-08 season. CP3 has no support at all. Besides, it's too early in the season.

Unfortunately this is about a year too late. The team quit on him in the playoffs last year, why in the world would they bring him back? Oh, yea George Shinnis the owner.

More like fire the GM.

Outside of CP3, there's nobody who can create off the dribble, create their own offense. James Posey, word to KLJ, is a bust and stealing money from theorganization. It's a trainwreck.

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

so did cp3 sign any kind of extension? he needs to get out of there immediately. He should go to OKC.
He has an option to be a free agent after the 2011-2012 season.

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

It's not his fault...but I guess someone had to take the blame.

Management needs to surround Chris Paul with more actual talent.

istockphoto_2634771-hitting-a-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Back
Top Bottom