Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I want the EU in some capacity, and not just name drops, or names of planets, etc.

Obviously I wanted new material and new stories for some movies, like say the numeric VII, VIII, IX, etc, but like said, the solo projects, or spin offs needed to be EU. Vong invasion, Jedi Academy, Thrawn trilogy, etc. That **** was a MUST.

For them to say **** you to my face, meh. Why should I care then?

They could tell all the new stories they wanted, and it would have been perfectly doable. This whole "continuity" line is hogwash. It's Star Wars, you can jump forward and backward, do the spin offs in either direction.

Movie in 2019 25 years after Jedi
Movie in 2020 5 years after Jedi.

They don't need to tell the story in yearly order or some ****. With a whole galaxy of planets/characters to use, they have to do everything in some damn order? The books didn't do that, they jump every which way.

But whatever. Disney "has a plan" so we'll see. I'm used to the Star Wars being **** on by Lucas himself, guess I shouldn't be all that surprised Disney is going to **** around with it too.

Knowing jj and what he did with star trek and how big a star wars fan hes supposed to be i wouldnt be surprised if he took alot of the expanded universe and put it in the future movies

Then again wouldnt that cost disney and force them to give a writing credit and royalties to the authors of the expanded universe?

Why should they care about royalties? They going to make a billion a movie, easy.

And writing new material ain't free, so what's the difference? Still paying a writer somewhere down the line.

Its a greedy big company. They care.

I doubt they wanna pay any other writers when they are already paying three huge amounts of money.

Just got to hope for the best with what they will do with the franchise.

Look at the bright side. It cant get any wirse than phantom menace right?

Why should they care about royalties? They going to make a billion a movie, easy.

And writing new material ain't free, so what's the difference? Still paying a writer somewhere down the line.
The difference is paying an extra person(s). They care cuz they want ALL the money not just virtually all of it. Probably cheaper (when it's all said and done) to have JJ and his screen writer build off of what's established and then create new ish and then pay a pittance to the authors writing these new books than it would cost to pay all of the authors of the older books.

Also some ppl are just lazy like that. Where they couldn't be bothered to start dealing with new ppl and their agents/lawyers to set up paying them royalties. Also maybe JJ or somebody really involved has an ego and doesn't want to just adapt the books but wants this chance to create something new.

i'm honestly not expecting much from this movie whatsoever.

disney will surely ruin it & make it more geared towards children like episode 1 was.

The difference is paying an extra person(s). They care cuz they want ALL the money not just virtually all of it. Probably cheaper (when it's all said and done) to have JJ and his screen writer build off of what's established and then create new ish and then pay a pittance to the authors writing these new books than it would cost to pay all of the authors of the older books.

Also some ppl are just lazy like that. Where they couldn't be bothered to start dealing with new ppl and their agents/lawyers to set up paying them royalties. Also maybe JJ or somebody really involved has an ego and doesn't want to just adapt the books but wants this chance to create something new.

Thing is, there weren't that many writers. And they all worked under the Star Wars umbrella, effectively making them Disney employees anyways.

Luceno, Allston (who passed away a couple months ago) Zahn, Denning, Stackpole and all the others I'm forgetting didn't just pick up pens and write Star Wars stories, they were authorized thru Lucas.

And I gotta believe Kennedy was in on those stories as well, so she probably already had them in house. ****, Luceno wrote one of the first "new" books they just announced, why scrap all his previous work?????

I bet you are right, JJ probably doesn't know all the material and took the movie cannon only, ignoring all the other stuff. :smh:

PqYuPr93aaFx.jpg

Give me Boba Fett training Han's daughter to take on her twin brother storyline and I'll start to believe again.

(And Deadpool would be nice too. :lol: )

It actually wouldn't be that hard for Disney to make a EU based Spin off, just put it/them under the legends banner like the books. And again, I think they will end up doing this, soon. But to avoid confusion with the sequel trilogy, I highly doubt we'll see adaptions of anything taking place after RoTJ.

They could maybe do the Thrawn Trilogy and Recast the big 3 10 years from now for it, but I don't see them adopting Legacy, Fotj or the NJO.

I'm so excited... Relishing the thought of my son & I going to see this... He's slightly older than I was when I saw Empire in the theater. I vividly remember getting goose bumps & being excited when the lights dimmed & the film started rolling...

I'll really miss the Fox opening though... That starting drum roll & the horns got & then seeing the Lucas Film logo & the beginning of the Star Wars theme is the best movie experience ever.

View media item 946375

Last edited:
I'll really miss the Fox opening though... That starting drum roll & the horns got & then seeing the Lucas Film logo & the beginning of the Star Wars theme is the best movie experience ever.
Indeed.  I'm always expecting the SW theme to follow whenever I hear the Fox opening.  

As for the Fett movie... how do you even go about that?  Surely Lucas intended for him to be a bad guy... but with a spinoff, is he the protagonist?  

^^^ A story came out a couple days ago that Disney was having the same questions. Supposedly, a Lucasfilm executive was overhead saying(paraphrased) at a Star Wars event
Lucasfilm wants Boba Fett to remain menacing and scary but we have to make him the hero of the film and it is a real challenge

Last edited:
^^^ A story came out a couple days ago that Disney was having the same questions. Supposedly, a Lucasfilm executive was overhead saying(paraphrased) at a Star Wars event
Lucasfilm wants Boba Fett to remain menacing and scary but we have to make him the hero of the film and it is a real challenge

I'm telling you guys, copy and paste the Dredd movie and just replace him with Fett and make it take place in the SW universe and that's all you need. It really is that simple.

Lawrence kasdan was writing the first spin off movie originally, i don't know if that's still the case with him penning VII now, but if it is, and the first spin off is a Boba movie, I think it'll be great. I just hope that a Boba movie stays away from the Jedi/Force/Republic all that stuff . Would love a gritty underworld movie, with just Boba and his fellow criminals.

Last edited:
Good info.  I haven't really been following the news (other than the casting) so I don't really know what's in the pipeline.  

Lawrence kasdan was writing the first spin off movie originally, i don't know if that's still the case with him penning VII now, but if it is, and the first spin off is a Boba movie, I think it'll be great. I just hope that a Boba movie stays away from the Jedi/Force/Republic all that stuff . Would love a gritty underworld movie, with just Boba and his fellow criminals.

Kasdan writing and Joe Johnston would make it an instant classic, to say the least.

I wonder if Disney will redo their opening logo credit? Would everyone be cool with this opening coupled with the Lucas Film & Star Wars opening sequence? :rolleyes

Someone made a video of the Disney Castle-Lucasfilm logo-Star Wars logo opening like the day Episode VII was announced and it didn't go well at all imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom