Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Lucas thing has always been kind of fascinating to me.

Does art belong to the audience or to the creator?

Star Wars is a very personal story to him and he apparently intended on it being told one, specific way. But once it was released the audiences interpreted things in ways he obviously didn't see coming

It feels like he used the prequels and re-releases to kind of take back Star Wars and make it his own again after it spent so much time sitting out in Pop Culture.
To me it's always the creator, audience be damned.

If we getting to the point ppl want to tell the creators how and what they should do with their creations in the most entitled way they don't deserve it. If they don't like something, they'll have to get over it. It's like these ppl don't know what it feels like to make something of their own.

If you want to circle jerk with my art do it after I'm long dead and hope it's in the public domain so you won't get sued by the estate/family.

:rofl:

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society.

American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

Quotes courtesy of George Lucas.

But rap on Zik, do ya thang baby.

I'll say this ahead of time, I really don't want to have to skim past a billion quotes from you two the next dozen pages.

So let's not and say we did. 
laugh.gif

I side with the artist. I think George's meddling with Star Wars was excessive and his own ego/hubris/greed/whatever hurt the movies.. we didn't need a CGI update to the classic movies, but he did it anyway. But what's the alternative? Its his movies.. his creation. He has the rights to them, he can do whatever he feels like.. and we as the consumer get to cast our vote with our money.

What's the alternative? Once we deem a movie is culturally significant, the artist or creator can't do anything else unless we approve? 

On March 3, 1988, George Lucas was one of those filmmakers who spoke in front of Congress. The same George Lucas who, in the two decades since, has continually tinkered with his signature Star Wars films from the Special Editions through the prequels and right up to the Blu-rays, which caused massive mainstream controversy this week due to new changes including a digital Yoda and Darth Vader’s new dialogue. But on that day, 23 years ago, Lucas delivered a rousing speech that condemned exactly what he’d end up doing himself.

My name is George Lucas. I am a writer, director, and producer of motion pictures and Chairman of the Board of Lucasfilm Ltd., a multi-faceted entertainment corporation.

I am not here today as a writer-director, or as a producer, or as the chairman of a corporation. I’ve come as a citizen of what I believe to be a great society that is in need of a moral anchor to help define and protect its intellectual and cultural heritage. It is not being protected.

The destruction of our film heritage, which is the focus of concern today, is only the tip of the iceberg. American law does not protect our painters, sculptors, recording artists, authors, or filmmakers from having their lifework distorted, and their reputation ruined. If something is not done now to clearly state the moral rights of artists, current and future technologies will alter, mutilate, and destroy for future generations the subtle human truths and highest human feeling that talented individuals within our society have created.

A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as “when life begins” or “when it should be appropriately terminated,” but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with “fresher faces,” or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor’s lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new “original” negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be “replaced” by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

There is nothing to stop American films, records, books, and paintings from being sold to a foreign entity or egotistical gangsters and having them change our cultural heritage to suit their personal taste.

I accuse the companies and groups, who say that American law is sufficient, of misleading the Congress and the People for their own economic self-interest.

I accuse the corporations, who oppose the moral rights of the artist, of being dishonest and insensitive to American cultural heritage and of being interested only in their quarterly bottom line, and not in the long-term interest of the Nation.

The public’s interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests. And the proof of that is that even a copyright law only permits the creators and their estate a limited amount of time to enjoy the economic fruits of that work.

There are those who say American law is sufficient. That’s an outrage! It’s not sufficient! If it were sufficient, why would I be here? Why would John Houston have been so studiously ignored when he protested the colorization of “The Maltese Falcon?” Why are films cut up and butchered?

Attention should be paid to this question of our soul, and not simply to accounting procedures. Attention should be paid to the interest of those who are yet unborn, who should be able to see this generation as it saw itself, and the past generation as it saw itself.

I hope you have the courage to lead America in acknowledging the importance of American art to the human race, and accord the proper protection for the creators of that art–as it is accorded them in much of the rest of the world communities.

But fans aren’t the only ones who want Lucas to release the original. Curators at the National Film Registry picked the 1977 version of Star Wars to preserve for history’s sake, but they still don’t have a copy in the registry. When they asked for a copy, Lucas refused, saying that he would no longer authorize the release of the original version

:rolleyes

George is a hypocrite, and a liar. Always has been folks.

"Experimenting" :rolleyes

If Lucas owns the property he may do as he wishes I believe. Also i do see your point about his changes. But times change. So do people. I used to d oil slime salad as an adolescent. Now I can eat one for dinner. Young Lucas would call old Lucas a barbarian. We should ask old Lucas what he is now.

I think most are in agreement Lucas is a hypocrite, that's nothing new.

The only people who care about Lucas at this point at those who hate him. We get it, he ruined the originals with his special editions, the prequels with CGI and Jar Jar and Vader, and him selling Lucasfilm was the greatest moment in film history.

We're getting a new Star Wars movie in less than a month, let the hate go. I'm so tired of reading everywhere about how awful Lucas is.. it's the deadest of horses. More complaints won't release the originals.

Funny, cuz I didn't bring it up, Zik did. I countered his laughable stance is all and showed actual quotes from George himself.

So you saying ONLY Lucas haters bring him up is pure BS.

I've said it plenty, I am extremely happy George finally sold. I'll forever be thankful for that.

But I'm not just gonna let Zik spread whoa is George nonsense like he's some victim. Bump that.

Be careful on these news sites for the next month.

I've been seeing a few reporters talking on twitter and apparently the big stuff hasn't leaked yet because they're all being respectful but it can happen any day now. Already bad enough that i'm gonna have to go ghost once it premieres in the UK

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society.

American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

Quotes courtesy of George Lucas.

But rap on Zik, do ya thang baby.
Your problem is you think that's a fact in Lucas' case.

The bias is so strong due to your dislike of what he chose to do with his work of art your entire perspective on it is skewed.

You should've just stuck to laughing at my view on it.

Funny, cuz I didn't bring it up, Zik did. I countered his laughable stance is all and showed actual quotes from George himself.

So you saying ONLY Lucas haters bring him up is pure BS.

I've said it plenty, I am extremely happy George finally sold. I'll forever be thankful for that.

But I'm not just gonna let Zik spread whoa is George nonsense like he's some victim. Bump that.
You talking like I called you out or something :lol:

I quoted somebody else who commented on this topic and simply posted my take on it based off what who I quoted was talking about specifically.

You acting like I ended my post with "And what do you have to say about that CP?!!"

I already know you're take on this from the other thread. When it comes to this I'm not hearing anything new from you. At this point I'm much more interested in what other ppl think about it.

Last edited:
Zik, you know that's not my quote, right? That's George Lucas saying that. You know that, yes?

Because him saying that, and then doing EXACTLY what he was complaining about, is what? Hypocritical BS.

"Experimenting" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like Honest Trailers said, the franchise that he had to COLLABORATE with so many people to come up with the idea he formed, after he took full control, he ruined everything else he did. Now he blames the fans for it. :lol:

C'mon man.

Last edited:
Zik, you know that's not my quote, right? That's George Lucas saying that. You know that, yes?

Because him saying that, and then doing EXACTLY what he was complaining about, is what? Hypocritical BS.

"Experimenting" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like Honest Trailers said, the franchise that he had to COLLABORATE with so many people to come up with the idea he formed, after he took full control, he ruined everything else he did. Now he blames the fans for it. :lol:

C'mon man.
I know that's his quote but it's not like he's saying that about himself. What I said can't be any clearer.

You're trying to say that's what he's doing. That's your opinion of what he's done with the prequels and the changes he's done with re-releasing the OG trilogy. That's what I commented on.

You can't show me where George ever said he did the prequels or added cgi to the OG as an exercise of power or as an attempt to destroy a work of art (Who does that 15 years after the fact anyway? If you want to flex power or destroy something you follow up relatively shortly). That's what you think he has done as opposed to the reasons he's given.

Last edited:
i swa this darth maul shirt at walmart. it was pretty dope. was in clearance for 5 bucks but only had size small :smh:

Have avoided pretty much everything related to this movie except the trailer the past 3 months. So hard. Less than 3 weeks to go :smokin

For the NYC NTers looknig for Kylo Ren Starkiller Base BS figure. From another forum:

Found about 30 of these at the Penn Station K-Mart in NYC. They're not in the regular toy aisle, but on a Star Wars themed "island" on the lower level underneath the escalators. They rang up for $29.23 (w/tax), so not on sale.

If any one goes and finds it would you grab me one please? :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom