Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Sometimes I feel like when I work out my abs I make the thicker, as in they stick out more? Do certain excerizes do this?

More people need to undersand they need to do WEIGHTED AB exercise abs are the same muscles...you wouldn't just curl imaginary weights in your hand right..so just doing crunches isnt going to suffice.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

More people need to undersand they need to do WEIGHTED AB exercise abs are the same muscles...you wouldn't just curl imaginary weights in your hand right..so just doing crunches isnt going to suffice.

The mass of your forearm is considerably smaller than the mass of your upper body or lower body.

That doesn't make any sense. With gravity weighing you down you dont necessarily need weights.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

That doesn't make any sense. With gravity weighing you down you dont necessarily need weights.
While true to a point, you can also get stronger by doing pushups and bodyweight squats.  But why do that when you can do bench and barbell squats and get stronger faster and easier?  Same thing with abs.  You could do crunches all day, or you could grab a 25-lb plate and do decline crunches and cry because you can't move right for two days.

Originally Posted by saxman2112

While true to a point, you can also get stronger by doing pushups and bodyweight squats.  But why do that when you can do bench and barbell squats and get stronger faster and easier?  Same thing with abs.  You could do crunches all day, or you could grab a 25-lb plate and do decline crunches and cry because you can't move right for two days.

...or you can put your hands above your head and do crunches that way..... or you can use a 5-10 lb plate instead of 25.

...or you can train your abdominal muscles for endurance instead of strength...

Quite frankly, the vast majority of people ive seen do abdominal exercises are doing them poorly.

What does everyone here snack-on?

I snack on Pita chips, 10 for 100Cal,2.5F,260smg,15C,3p good trade, imo, but it isn't fulfilling my snacking needs.
Anyone have low calorie snack?

Originally Posted by NjCollector

if i get food cravings between meals i usually snack on peanuts, almonds, celery+natty peanut butter, jerky, granola, some fruit or protein/mrp bars/shake. i'm experimenting with some home made protein bar recipes at the moment.

I'm getting fed up ordering grilled chicken from local Tex-mex joint.  Decided to go to BJ's and buy my own chicken breast.  The ones I got were already marinated with "Applewood BBQ sauce".  I doubt thats even healthy, ANYWAYs...anyone have any suggestions/input on healthy ways marinating meat/fish?

Originally Posted by NjCollector

I snack on Pita chips, 10 for 100Cal,2.5F,260smg,15C,3p good trade, imo, but it isn't fulfilling my snacking needs.
Anyone have low calorie snack?
Some snacks can include: fruit, veggies. I like hummus with carrots and/or celery. Piece of toast with Natural PB. Oatmeal. Nuts, dried fruit (raisins, craisins, etc) Anything really that isn't a whole meal. I even snack on cooked veggies at times. So many options man.

Originally Posted by Green Ice 05

I'm getting fed up ordering grilled chicken from local Tex-mex joint.  Decided to go to BJ's and buy my own chicken breast.  The ones I got were already marinated with "Applewood BBQ sauce".  I doubt thats even healthy, ANYWAYs...anyone have any suggestions/input on healthy ways marinating meat/fish?
Healthy ways would include making your own sauces from roasting veggies and putting them in a blender/food processor. But you don't always need a wet marinade. Simple seasonings will do the job. Watch the amount of sodium though. That will get you.

I think you should have gotten the plain pack of chicken breasts from BJs instead of the pre-flavored variety. Why? Because you have more control over the taste

So I bought a stability ball today to focus on working on my core which will replace my Ab Day.

I was browsing on YouTube looking for exercises on the stability ball and stumbled upon this:

Based on how this dudes' body is and the fact that he's a personal trainer, I'ma follow his workout routine.

BTW,

chicken-breast-recipes.jpg

+

Grill%20Mates%20Montreal%20Chicken%20Seasoning%20Reduced%20Sodium.ashx

=

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

...or you can put your hands above your head and do crunches that way..... or you can use a 5-10 lb plate instead of 25.

Quite frankly, the vast majority of people ive seen do abdominal exercises are doing them poorly.
Durden,

Hook it up with some good ab exercises.. I need something else than hanging leg raises/weighted declines... I usually just relied on sqauts, deadlifts and military press to target the core for strength

has anyone ever got headaches from suddenly going off creatine? I know its weird, but I went off creatine for about a week, and then I had a migraine that lasted for 4 days.

It could be from something else, but Im just curious if anyone else had this problem as well

My bench press has been stuck on the same weight for a while now. I usually do 3 or 4 sets of Bench, incline dumb-bell bench press, and some dips. Is this a good routine for Bench or should I add/remove something?

Originally Posted by Shaq DIESEL 34

My bench press has been stuck on the same weight for a while now. I usually do 3 or 4 sets of Bench, incline dumb-bell bench press, and some dips. Is this a good routine for Bench or should I add/remove something?

How's the rest of your body progressing?  The more that you bench over your body weight, the more that your core and legs come into play. 

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

BTW,

chicken-breast-recipes.jpg

+

Grill%20Mates%20Montreal%20Chicken%20Seasoning%20Reduced%20Sodium.ashx

=

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You ain't lyin.  I just used that exact seasoning on some steaks yesterday and yeah, they'll make grilled chicken breast something to look forward to.

Also finally went to a local butchershop not too far from us and the difference in price for the same if not better quality of meat was insane.  My wife was insisting on us doing most of our grocery shopping at Whole Foods EVERY WEEK which was killing my pockets and she swears that they're no more expensive than a large supermarket.  Anyway, went to the butchers, got like 4 lbs of steak (top round and flank), something like 10-12lbs of chicken, like 3-4 lbs of turkey tips and a few other things, bill came out to $55.  Chicken breast in whole foods is like $6-7 a pound on it's own, and the prices on the steak is through the roof, so I'm happy I finally found a place to get this type of stuff affordably.

I recommend  you guys who do your own shopping and cooking ask around or check on yelp.com for a butcher shop in your area with good stuff and good prices.  It will save you a ton of money and make it easier to eat right.

The rest of my body is progressing nicely, haven't really worked my legs much at all though. And I'm not benching over my body weight, yet. *Sigh*

Week 4 of Bill Starr 5x5 program complete
3000-4000 calories per day none of that from fried chicken or mcdonalds type food.

haven't gained a pound

Originally Posted by I3

Durden,

Hook it up with some good ab exercises.. I need something else than hanging leg raises/weighted declines... I usually just relied on sqauts, deadlifts and military press to target the core for strength

Like what kind of exercises.  I dont do too many ab exercises.  Its mainly floor swipers, knee raises (bent or hips 90 degrees), plate crunch, some cable crunches, toe touches, V sits, Jackknifes..... The majority of the time I only only do about 2 exercises and thats it.

I hate the decline benches.  Theyre pretty ineffective for ab exercises.  I also hate when I see someone doing an ab exercise with a weight thats heavier than 25 lbs.  Theyre either not doing it correctly or they can do it more effectively and functionally.

Sprained ankles are annoying.

Originally Posted by iLLest

WORST 3 days EVER. lol.

Friday: Drank rediculously.
Saturday: Drank, Smoke, Ate uncontrollably for my boys bday.
Sunday: Ate uncontrollably for mothers day.

AND I #@%#!$ up my shoulder so bad I can't lift my arm.

This is bad real bad Michael Jackson.

iLLest!
Chill, it's okay to indulge once in a while.

I estimate about 80 oz. of alcohol in the past 3 days consumed.
My whole food caloric intake per day couldn't have been more than 2500 and most of it was from after party McDonalds.

Back to the grind on monday and try to stay strong for the rest of May.

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

So I bought a stability ball today to focus on working on my core which will replace my Ab Day.

I was browsing on YouTube looking for exercises on the stability ball and stumbled upon this:

Based on how this dudes' body is and the fact that he's a personal trainer, I'ma follow his workout routine.

this has some great ab workouts but should one do all these exercises in one day or maybe a few of these.

Still in progress trying to get more cut I'm at 166 currently..but how do I get the bottom abs to pop? Any exercises?

Originally Posted by I3

Durden,

Like what kind of exercises.  I dont do too many ab exercises.  Its mainly floor swipers, knee raises (bent or hips 90 degrees), plate crunch, some cable crunches, toe touches, V sits, Jackknifes..... The majority of the time I only only do about 2 exercises and thats it.

I hate the decline benches.  Theyre pretty ineffective for ab exercises.  I also hate when I see someone doing an ab exercise with a weight thats heavier than 25 lbs.  Theyre either not doing it correctly or they can do it more effectively and functionally.

Sprained ankles are annoying.

Any weighted exercises would be good.  I like to work out the abs maybe 2-3x a week, just like you maybe 2-3 exercises at the end of a workout.  I did side planks, a bit of medicine ball work.

I think the key is variety and form, not so much quantity. Are those exercises you listed on that website at the start of this thread?

Back
Top Bottom