Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Went hard on back squats for the first time in months... 4 sets of 205 lbs 
embarassed.gif

My quads feel like jelly now but I know next time I can go for sure 225 lbs. Trying to break 250 lbs by the end of the year
pimp.gif

any of my fellow bodybuilders 420 friendly?
I think it's nothing but beneficial to me. Helps with eating, sleeping, and of course makes me feel great lol.

How often do you do it?

i go thru phases, sometimes daily sometimes i stop for months at a time, but ya never noticed it having any detrimental effects. weeds totally chill for bb'ing.

Bulking Progress Pic:

Spoiler [+]
6311429834_5cdaef715d_z.jpg

I've added about 5 pounds. Started at 147 LBs and now at 152.5 LBs. I've got another 5-8 more pounds more to go.

Upped my stats too:

Bench - 185 x 4 reps

Deadlift - 280 x 4 reps

Squats - 280 x 4 reps

Goals are still the same by the end of the year:

Bench - 200 x 4 reps

Deadlift - 300 x 4 reps

Squats - 300 x 4 reps

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

I think it's nothing but beneficial to me. Helps with eating, sleeping, and of course makes me feel great lol.

How often do you do it?

When I'm bulking, as soon as I get home from the gym
laugh.gif
 i don't always have the best appetite so it really helps me keep my intake high
That and my chef skills are unstoppable while ui 
grin.gif

Brett, youre doing too many warm up reps.

Theres really no reason to go above 4 reps on any warm up.

By the time youre even ready to begin the lift, your body temp should already by raised so theres no real purpose for extended reps.  It's basically neuromuscular warm ups so 1 to 3 reps is all thats needed.

How often do you do it?
Works perfect for me. Helps my appetite after my workout and since I tend to go pretty late I usually end up passing out and sleeping like a baby after my meal
pimp.gif

The latest.

Been pretty poor with my diet (not eating enough, missing meals, drinking - but have been going nuts in the gym). Around 147lbs - target is around 153-155lbs. Im around 12-13%.

Dead: 286lbs
Squat ATG: 236lbs
Bench: 165lbs (weak lol)
Military (stagnant) 121lbs

*excuse the poor pic, I still have the rear factory plastic protector covering the camera on the 4s lol

Spoiler [+]

Originally Posted by I3

The latest.

Been pretty poor with my diet (not eating enough, missing meals, drinking - but have been going nuts in the gym). Around 147lbs - target is around 153-155lbs. Im around 12-13%.

Spoiler [+]
gjdm
people should start posting vids of hitting PRs. best feeling 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by I3

The latest.

We have like exactly the same stats. Except my bench is 175lbs and my military press is absolutely terrible. With a barbell it's like 75 lbs, once
sick.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
. Except I can put the 50lb dumbbells up for shoulder press for around 6 reps
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

By the time youre even ready to begin the lift, your body temp should already by raised so theres no real purpose for extended reps.  It's basically neuromuscular warm ups so 1 to 3 reps is all thats needed.
so, 1-3 reps of progressively heavier weight? maybe a workout as follows:
135x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 335xAMAP, 335xAMAP, 335xAMAP

Increase the 335 reps/set and once that goes up increase weights.

Am I on the right page?

Does this go for every lift?

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by I3

The latest.

We have like exactly the same stats. Except my bench is 175lbs and my military press is absolutely terrible. With a barbell it's like 75 lbs, once
sick.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
. Except I can put the 50lb dumbbells up for shoulder press for around 6 reps
eyes.gif

Have you tried doing incline barbell bench?  This really helped me with my shoulders.  Try alternating between barbell and dumbell.  I did around 4x8 50lbs yesterday, side raises and power cleans to finish off my shoulders. Either way.. "Dont train the ego, train the muscle"

Don't give up on the military press, start of light and just add 2.5kg or 5lbs every workout if you can.  I started at like 40kg.. now im maxing around 55kg.  But some dude on here said stagnant military press will only get you so far.  After you max out - you should progress to a push press, where you can lift a bit more.

And I posted a pic like a year ago and JOE said I should work on my lats.. last week my gym buddy said I had wings whilst doing pull ups lol (**** - who gives a @@*%) @%+$$ i got wings lol
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Am I on the right page?

The boss hogg is a good rep/set scheme to go about.

Basically with Deadlifts/Squats you only do 2 sets and aim for 17 reps in total.  So maybe 8-9 reps maxed out for the first set, then as much as you can in the 2nd.  If you beat that 17 reps, you know the weight is too easy and you add again the next session where you may hit 15 reps only - there you have a challenege and will continue at that weight until you hit 17 reps.

Anyways just a thought.

Originally Posted by I3

Have you tried doing incline barbell bench?  This really helped me with my shoulders.  Try alternating between barbell and dumbell.  I did around 4x8 50lbs yesterday, side raises and power cleans to finish off my shoulders. Either way.. "Dont train the ego, train the muscle"

Don't give up on the military press, start of light and just add 2.5kg or 5lbs every workout if you can.  I started at like 40kg.. now im maxing around 55kg.  But some dude on here said stagnant military press will only get you so far.  After you max out - you should progress to a push press, where you can lift a bit more.

And I posted a pic like a year ago and JOE said I should work on my lats.. last week my gym buddy said I had wings whilst doing pull ups lol (**** - who gives a @@*%) @%+$$ i got wings lol
pimp.gif

Props on your progress btw
pimp.gif

I have tried incline barbell bench, it's not a problem for me like standing military press. I'm better with the dumbbells overall but military is the one lift that really slows me down. I'll probably go with the standing barbell military press tomorrow.

Right now for lifts I'm focusing on bench and still trying to get that muscle up, as well as actually get cut and decently ripped by next summer. What are your goals?

Barbell vs. Dumbbell bench....which do you guys prefer? I've found that my overall chest strength and size seems to increase faster when I focus on dumbbells for bench but I see so few people do it as their primary chest exercise. I do decline barbell bench and SOMETIMES incline, but other than that I use mostly dumbbells

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Am I on the right page?

A few at 135 (form based practice/muscle activation sequencing)
1 or 2 at 225 (muscle activation at a higher load)
then go straight to sets at 335.

For the "heavier" lifts (bench, squat,deadlift) its efficient to do it this way.  For lighter stuff, warm up sets arent even necessary.

Originally Posted by scshift

Props on your progress btw
pimp.gif

I have tried incline barbell bench, it's not a problem for me like standing military press. I'm better with the dumbbells overall but military is the one lift that really slows me down. I'll probably go with the standing barbell military press tomorrow.

Right now for lifts I'm focusing on bench and still trying to get that muscle up, as well as actually get cut and decently ripped by next summer. What are your goals?

I've never done seated bb military - I think standing is better - as you have to tense your core.  Incline/flat bench bb will help develop your deltoids which will help your military press.  Not exactly sure what muscles help what, but I know for a fact when you work your chest, a lot of stress is placed on the shoulders too. I've tried doing a chest and shoulders day and boy it was tough to do military press after a good bench workout.

Definitely ask for a spot, that'll give you a mental edge on lifting heavier weights.

I train to get more bounce/explositivity for basketball.  I highly doubt id ever get huge, and dont want that image.  Im after the Cristiano/Mayweather look, bit of mass, quite cut. Nuff said lol.

do u guys have stretch mark issues? if so, do u guys just let them be or do u do something to stop/get rid of them, i went from 180 to 220 in two years and i have arm pit stretch marks, what can i do to make sure i dont get any stretch marks anywhere else?

How often do you do it?

im back in MMA full time now so i do a TON of cardio

i toke up before each cardio session.

i feel like ive discovered some grand training secret
laugh.gif

i just lose myself in my music and get my work done.

i feel like the miles just fly by

its lovely, actually.

3 reps with 100lb dumbbells on flat press, feels good man 
pimp.gif

when doing deadlifts, what do you guys prefer using, the barbell or the hex bar?

Back
Top Bottom