Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Dropten

Originally Posted by alhubley

I'm like wawa on this. I haven't done direct bicep work in a long time. Stick to compound lifts. Biceps don't need a ton of stimulation to grow. If your weight isn't going up on the scale don't expect your arms to be getting any bigger. Most peoples biggest mistake when trying to get bigger is not eating enough.
I disagree with you and wawa
Thats like the people saying, "no need for calf exercises, it will grow doing squats"????

There's no way I could of gotten the bis I got without doing iso exercises. The stimulation I get from doing compounds dont compare to isos for my bis

You're not doing the right compounds or going heavy enough.Let's say I do high snatch pulls at 335. For a split second in that movement I'm upright rowing and holding 335 and my bis are bearing a substantial portion of that. Under which iso movement will I be able to out my bi's under that much stress?Same goes for db rows or upright rows. I can't strict curl more than about 120 so I'm limited in that.
Let me get this str8, holding 335lbs over my head will put enough stress on my bis for them to grow?
So I can put 500lbs on my back, stand still and my quads will grow because there's stress on my quads???
No need to contract the muscle?

Stay away from bodybuilding, just stick to the power lifting!!

I won't argue with you dropten your 20" guns are bigger then mine. For me my arms respond better without the direct arm work though. No one thing us gonna work for everybody. Id be willing to bet your arms would be pretty close to what they are if not just as good if you didn't do the direct arm work though.
Now im not saying compounds dont stimulate secondary muscle groups because it does. But doesnt compare to isolating a specific muscle or muscle group.
Its common sense. You want a muscle to grow, you train that muscle.

Theres people that favor both ways. Just like Arnold preferred high volume and Yates preferred low. It's a very individual thing. I think for the majority of the people in this thread they would do better doing strictly heavy compound lifts then having a curl day. That's just my opinion and I'm aware yours differs.

Different goals I guess. I honestly will probably never do lifts with that much weight. I do compound exercises though. I just don't believe "power lifting" is smart, too much stress on your joints. I've been told you pay the price as time goes on too. I consider myself a "body builder". So I do use a great deal of iso.

Theres people that favor both ways. Just like Arnold preferred high volume and Yates preferred low. It's a very individual thing. I think for the majority of the people in this thread they would do better doing strictly heavy compound lifts then having a curl day. That's just my opinion and I'm aware yours differs.

Compound followed by iso maybe? Ill work my back and biceps at the same time, and then go do isolation exercises for my biceps after. Seems like it works for me, granted your biceps wont be at 100% because of the back work, but more stress should promote more recovery, and therefore growth.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Compound followed by iso maybe? Ill work my back and biceps at the same time, and then go do isolation exercises for my biceps after. Seems like it works for me, granted your biceps wont be at 100% because of the back work, but more stress should promote more recovery, and therefore growth.

Lately I've been doing bent-over rows supersetted by kettlebell curls. It's a lot tougher cause you can't do either lift nearly as much as you could if you were trying to max out, but you can really feel it.

I'm going to go back to strictly compound pretty soon though.

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

Why would you do no iso exercises for your biceps wawa?

I'm like wawa on this. I haven't done direct bicep work in a long time. Stick to compound lifts. Biceps don't need a ton of stimulation to grow. If your weight isn't going up on the scale don't expect your arms to be getting any bigger. Most peoples biggest mistake when trying to get bigger is not eating enough.
Thats like the people saying, "no need for calf exercises, it will grow doing squats"????

There's no way I could of gotten the bis I got without doing iso exercises. The stimulation I get from doing compounds dont compare to isos for my bis

You're not doing the right compounds or going heavy enough.

Let's say I do high snatch pulls at 335. For a split second in that movement I'm upright rowing and holding 335 and my bis are bearing a substantial portion of that. Under which iso movement will I be able to out my bi's under that much stress?

Same goes for db rows or upright rows. I can't strict curl more than about 120 so I'm limited in that.

Understandable, but are compound lifts the best way to train biceps. I disagree with that. Sure, they will help, but the best way to train any muscle is to train it directly.
Compound lifts should be the foundation of everyone's plan, but iso's are still critical as well. I would never count out direct training just because I have compounds in my lift scheme.

For those claiming compound exercises won't build bigger biceps do you put that same train of thought into your chest workouts and skip bench and dips I'n favor of cable crossovers and flys?

For those claiming compound exercises won't build bigger biceps do you put that same train of thought into your chest workouts and skip bench and dips I'n favor of cable crossovers and flys?
bench and dips are compound though
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

Does anyone still take Creatine.....?

I used to take it back when I first started lifting, but I hate the water-filled muscle look.

Are there any good substitutes?

Yeah I know crossovers and flys are isolation. If isolation is what it takes to grow why bench and dip?

You don't need to put in a lot of time. Especially for biceps.
Stick to compound lifts. Biceps don't need a ton of stimulation to grow.
You're not doing the right compounds or going heavy enough.
The best way to train biceps is an iso followed by a compound. Super setting, even.
Negged.

No one thing us gonna work for everybody.
Theres people that favor both ways. Just like Arnold preferred high volume and Yates preferred low.
Repped.

Edit: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to alhubley again.

So I've been really trying to target my legs and have been squatting daily for the last month. Haven't been doing anything crazy, 4x10 @140 lbs 5 times a week
and have seen
eek.gif
gains. Would anyone advice against this? I haven't had any negative experiences as of yet but I'm kinda worried about the long term stress on my knees...

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

Why would you do no iso exercises for your biceps wawa?

Agreed 100%.
I'm realizing this more than ever now.  If you want to bulk up, you literally have to eat until you're sick. Gains are mostly made in the kitchen, not the gym. My n00b mistake was focusing too heavily on the gym and not enough on calories.

Alex

this thread is damn near 1000 pages and we still arguing over what works "best"? lol we all have dif bodies and reactions to stimuli...

find what works for u

/best convo

Originally Posted by AME416

So I've been really trying to target my legs and have been squatting daily for the last month. Haven't been doing anything crazy, 4x10 @140 lbs 5 times a week
and have seen
eek.gif
gains. Would anyone advice against this? I haven't had any negative experiences as of yet but I'm kinda worried about the long term stress on my knees...

as long as you have good form, and aren't experiencing Knee pain now, or in the coming days, you should be fine for quite a while, until you really start aging.

I'm really trying to put on some muscle I've been going to the gym 5 days a wk know (Mon-Fri) for probably a year do u think going every other day so basically it would only be 4x a wk would help with gains I keep hearing that rest is just as important as hard work in the gym but I feel so guilty nt going to the gym and do think 3000-3500 calories 200-250 grams of protein is enough I weight 195 and I'm 5 11

Can someone recommend me a good pair of comfortable Nike trainer's for the gym? I want a good all around shoe with a thinner sole that I can squat/deadlift in. Thanks

Originally Posted by syxth element

Can someone recommend me a good pair of comfortable Nike trainer's for the gym? I want a good all around shoe with a thinner sole that I can squat/deadlift in. Thanks
Best-Seller-Nike-Socks-Nike-Moisture-Management-No-Show-Sock-the-best-socks-White-Grey-Black.jpg

You're not doing the right compounds or going heavy enough.Let's say I do high snatch pulls at 335. For a split second in that movement I'm upright rowing and holding 335 and my bis are bearing a substantial portion of that. Under which iso movement will I be able to out my bi's under that much stress?Same goes for db rows or upright rows. I can't strict curl more than about 120 so I'm limited in that.
Let me get this str8, holding 335lbs over my head will put enough stress on my bis for them to grow?
So I can put 500lbs on my back, stand still and my quads will grow because there's stress on my quads???
No need to contract the muscle?

Stay away from bodybuilding, just stick to the power lifting!!

First, it's not power lifting.  Second, the pulls never finish overhead. They're not the complete movement. 
If you put 500lbs on your back, your quads won't grow. They're not the muscle group being stressed. Your upper back and core will although you'd get used to that weight pretty quick.  

Is there room for iso movements? Of course. Should beginners and intermediates (including BB'ers) place emphasis on them? No. 

If BB beginners and intermediates are on juice then I would do iso's simply to increase capacity utilization. On juice you have a lot more capacity and you obviously can't only fill it with compounds (physical fatigue, CNS fatigue, risk of injury). Pro BB'ers do a lot of  iso movements precisely because they have that capacity on juice. Not because it's the best thing to do. 

I do both, because they both have their advantages. For ex, I start with flys to get my chest working/exhausted. Then move to benching to finish my chest workout.

If I reversed that order OR only stuck with benching, my tri's and shoulders would fatigue before my chest would...completely defeating the purpose of the bench press.

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

this thread is damn near 1000 pages and we still arguing over what works "best"? lol we all have dif bodies and reactions to stimuli...

find what works for u

/best convo

This is the problem.
There are things that work much better than others for most beginner and intermediate lifters. However, it is not the conventional meat head gym logic. 

Everybody (relative to their body weight) can put up relatively big (not elite but big) squat, dead lift, and bench (or whatever other combination of lifts you choose) numbers. All it takes is the correct approach. It's not magic. 

8-17...2 more days

293506_10150266467353995_512703994_7788975_1969762_n.jpg

Im on a diuretic right now (otc) xpel by MHP...thing has be taking a leak every 15mins and it just sucks being on it period. I really give pro's so much more respect now for the crap they go through.

Back
Top Bottom