Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

I appreciate the help bwood056, I told my dad and he said the Dr. would say to quit lifting or get scoped I gave him that get the hell outta here look and he laughed. Im gonna take it easy and lift around it for a while.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

bkmac wrote:
I found this thread just now on Page 8 
eek.gif

Anywho, I've asked this time and time again, but always get overlooked.

I want to start preparing for the FDNY (Fire Department) exam, and so I need to start bulking up in hopes of passing the physical exam.

What workouts do I want to do to bulk up, and how do I want to eat? Mind you, I want to work on my abs as well, so I do not want to gain any fat that will hinder my ab progression.

To bulk up you'll need heavy compound lifts and to up your calorie intake -lots of protein and clean complex carbs throughout the day. It's inevitable that you will add fat to your mid-section.
Find out exactly what drills you'll be required to do for the exam and work on those, improving your times etc.
Yup, base your workouts around the compounds:

Squat
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Bench
Row

Weighted dips and pull ups are good too

For my college football weight program we do a lot of olympic lifts . low reps at high weight increasing by at least 10 pds a set. . . if your able to try power cleans , jerks and dead lifting to focus . for example 3 x 6 at 70% I gained about 10 pounds of LEAN muscle in 2 months from increasing my protein intake and power lifting . dont forget about cardio either. It will increase your appetite and force you to intake more food.

Sleep GOOD!

Anyone here workout on an empty stomach? I don't choose to but at the moment it's my only option. I come to the gym straight from work in the evenings. There's a 7/11 right next door so I get a banana and granola bar and wash it down with my pre sup, but that's not enough. I

was thinking of packing a small meal and eating it on my way to the gym cause I can see that it's already putting a toll on my body. My motivation is at an all time low, I'm carb depleted, and I just don't feel like finishing my sets sometimes. I also catch myself yawning in between

them. I just want to hear how some of you do it.

@BKMac- I’m doing the exam too and what they’ve recommended for you is pretty much what I’ve been doing.

I’ve been trying to do dead lifts, but I cant get my form right. My back won’t stop curving. I’m considering using a trap bar instead or doing rack pulls. Can anyone fill me in on the major differences between the three exercises?

Originally Posted by itzbooranss

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

I just cant progress my flat bench, It says around the same range, any ideas? 5x5?

Same here.
been stuck on 185 x 4 reps for the past month 
grin.gif
2 sets at 5x reps
3 sets at 1 x rep (work to 90-95% of max, increase each week)
2 sets at 5x reps on a deload.

example :
225x5
275x5
305x1
345x1
375x1
245x4
225x5

alot of bent over rows, deadlifts - will increase bench. remember - a strong back = strong bench.
get into heavy skull cushers as well.

Originally Posted by Steamin Beamin

Looking for some help guys I slightly injured my shoulder a few weeks ago felt like a strain nothing bad. I took a week and a half off to feel better and went back to the gym today, got a little excited and maxed out on bench at 365. The shoulder felt fine after and I went on to flys and first rep I felt a pop, now the shoulder is killing me from pec to shoulder area any advice on a quicker recovery? Don't want to but might set an appointment with a Ortho mid december if nothing works.
Get evaluated by a professional, preferably someone that deals with soft tissue work as well. An internet diagnosis won't do anything for you. ART, Graston technique, Rolfing, Fascial Abrasion Technique, etc. practitioners are a good resource to start with. Any of them should be able to atleast diagnose it. If the only tool you have in your tool box is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. That's the case with orthopedic surgeons. In the meantime, apply moist heat, anti-inflammatories, foam roll/self myofascial release, and do low intensity, high volume mobility work(preferably with resistance bands).

Originally Posted by NT Brah

Anyone here workout on an empty stomach? I don't choose to but at the moment it's my only option. I come to the gym straight from work in the evenings. There's a 7/11 right next door so I get a banana and granola bar and wash it down with my pre sup, but that's not enough. I

was thinking of packing a small meal and eating it on my way to the gym cause I can see that it's already putting a toll on my body. My motivation is at an all time low, I'm carb depleted, and I just don't feel like finishing my sets sometimes. I also catch myself yawning in between

them. I just want to hear how some of you do it.
Ditch the carbs pre workout. You'll have better focus and better performance without them. Ideally, eat a low carbohydrate meal an hour or 2 before your workout. Either that or take 20g BCAA's preworkout.

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

I just cant progress my flat bench, It says around the same range, any ideas? 5x5?
Accumulate some volume. 7 sets of 5 with your 10RM for 6 workouts. 41X1 tempo. 4 second eccentric, 1 second pause, explosive concentric, 1 second pause at top.

Whats the best app for keeping track of calories? I have a iphone 3gs. Got the nike+ gps for my runs just need something for my meals now. thx!

Man how do you get that aesthetic line down the middle of your pecs?

Ive been doing all sorts of chest exercises, BB incline/flat, DB incline/flat, flat flys, pec dec, push up and weighted dips (all in separate workouts) - its starting to show, but is there any specific exercise that will target it more? Its beginning to hit summer here and im after that Zyzz aesthetic lol

On a side note, dropped squats + deadlifts for nearly a month now - getting big withdrawals which is good so I can look forward to them again. The only thing now is I have a nagging hip flexor/muscle above my glutes that stings if i make a sudden movement i.e. reach to the floor randomly fml

Originally Posted by I3

Man how do you get that aesthetic line down the middle of your pecs?

Ive been doing all sorts of chest exercises, BB incline/flat, DB incline/flat, flat flys, pec dec, push up and weighted dips (all in separate workouts) - its starting to show, but is there any specific exercise that will target it more? Its beginning to hit summer here and im after that Zyzz aesthetic lol

On a side note, dropped squats + deadlifts for nearly a month now - getting big withdrawals which is good so I can look forward to them again. The only thing now is I have a nagging hip flexor/muscle above my glutes that stings if i make a sudden movement i.e. reach to the floor randomly fml

Yo I really want that chest line as well. My chest is so frail, I've been working on that for the past few months. Can't wait to see how it looks in the summer.

I just started doing squats again. I do front squats one week, then back squats the next. I want to hit 250lbs on the back squat before New Years.

Are squats an absolute necessity to pack muscle? Whenever I do legs I usually just lunge, leg press, and a few other stuff.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Are squats an absolute necessity to pack muscle? Whenever I do legs I usually just lunge, leg press, and a few other stuff.

No broscience but I was told by my trainer that doing squats, bench presses or back rows increases testosterone. Hence, why doing squats could help you build bigger biceps.

frown.gif
 It's about time I come in and get some advice in this thread. I sit down at work all day. We always order take out and I started noticing I'm becoming skinny fat. I got a membership to LA Fitness because when I'm there I never do any ab work. I bought a yoga mat, 15lb medicine ball, and a jump rope. 

What are some at home exercises I can do to cut the fat and gain my 6 pack back? 

And aside from the fast food, what other foods should I stay away from?

Is it legit or is it broscience that ab isolation exercises are unnecessary for abs?

I've read on multiple sites, including bodybuilding.com and simplyshredded that ab exercises like crunches and leg raises are unnecessary, and that squats and deadlifts (along with other exercises like rows, standing presses, etc.) are sufficient for getting abs.

Can anyone confirm this? I remember one NTer posting a pic and saying he only squatted/deadlifted.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I dont think so but I still like doing squats when I can
pimp.gif

_ANT0277.1.jpg

Martin Berkhan doesn't do isolation exercises for abs
Martin-Berkhan.jpg

deads and squats guy

Originally Posted by scshift

Is it legit or is it broscience that ab isolation exercises are unnecessary for abs?

I've read on multiple sites, including bodybuilding.com and simplyshredded that ab exercises like crunches and leg raises are unnecessary, and that squats and deadlifts (along with other exercises like rows, standing presses, etc.) are sufficient for getting abs.

Can anyone confirm this? I remember one NTer posting a pic and saying he only squatted/deadlifted.
Your core is getting plenty of work when you do compound lifts like squats and deadlifts, so it is true that isolation exercises aren't necessary.

Regardless of what you do for abs, it's important to remember that abs are made in the kitchen. Without the proper diet you won't have visible abs.

Originally Posted by blackxme

Your core is getting plenty of work when you do compound lifts like squats and deadlifts, so it is true that isolation exercises aren't necessary.

Regardless of what you do for abs, it's important to remember that abs are made in the kitchen. Without the proper diet you won't have visible abs.

How do you make your abs bigger? I know dieting is crucial for stripping away the fat that covers them, but how do you actually make your abs larger so they stick out? Or is it all genetics?

Especially the lower abs... I feel like even when other parts of my body are getting a little bigger, my abs are still small
tired.gif

I was doing pullups with a 45lbs plate today and it was single handedly the hardest my abs have ever burned. ever.

It was after 255x3 for 3 sets squats which is really really heavy for me, though

Back
Top Bottom