STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Do you take all 6 pills a day?
**** that, I just take a One a day right now
SO do you have OT or a diff multi?
laugh.gif
I think he is referring to the One-A-Day multivitamins

Can someone school me on intermittent fasting? I've done some initial research, but I'd like to know some firsthand experience from those who've tried it. I'm currently trying it, using a 16 hour fast and 8 hour window to eat.
Just a fad diet in my opinion, read up: http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/intermittent-fasting-kills-muscle

well yes and no

IF works

this is where BCAA come into play. Since supposedly some or most wont kick you out of a fast it would be ok to drink thus helping stop the muscle loss during your fast

Yeah bcaas are almost essential for doing IF. I did it for a month for a mini cut last summer and I got good results from it.

Real nice to pound down all your calories in the feeding window, however for a bulk or long term dieting I, personally wouldn't do it.

Try it out though and see how your body responds.

Anybody wana point me in the right direction on how to carb cycle? Maybe a calc. Right now im just on IIFYM.

Last edited:
Anybody wana point me in the right direction on how to carb cycle? Maybe a calc. Right now im just on IIFYM.
Basically:

1. Eat carbs only on workout days.

2. Eat carbs around workout window.

And by carbs, I mean direct sources of it: Rice, Pasta, Bread, Fruit, Grains

Thanks for all the input on IF. I'll try it out for a short period and see how it goes.

I've coordinated my eating window with my workout so I'm eating a bigger meal a few hours before lift/WOD. I haven't noticed any lack of any energy during my workouts, but then again I've only started IF this week.

I hate the phrase ATG, Ive said it in here a few times before but very few people actually go ATG when they say they do.

Heres what I tell people to do, stand feet shoulder width apart then turn your toes out slightly to start with, this will be the easiest way to go low. Also bar placement will be a factor, put it at the base of your neck on top of your traps and that will help you in going low. Also you have to sit back on your heels and push through them on the way up.

Basically doing an Olympic high bar squat is what going ATG really is. The wider the stance the harder it is to go low and you will need more hip flexibility. 

I would just try to hit parallel to start with and over time your hips will loosen and you'll be able to lower. Also look up Kelly Starrett on YT, he has a mobility series that is very informative.

Simply doing high bar squats will not lead to the mobility needed to go deeper. It would require more specific mobility training, depending on the individual person's needs. Oftentimes the calves are the main culprit, but faulty motor control (gluteal amnesia, for example) can also lead to problems going ATG. There is also the issue of individual body structure, such as the structure of the hip joint, which can limit how low you can safely squat.

Kelly Starrett's videos are not a good source of information on training mobility (defined as active range of motion). If you want short term passive flexibility gains, it might help, but longer term gains require more work and smarter training. Stretching using bands, lacrosse balls, and barbells in the ways that he recommends are nearly useless, in my opinion. A better way to train for mobility (and flexibility) involves actively building strength at the end ranges of motion using isometric contractions, weighted movements, and/or unweighted movements at the end range, depending on the mobility pattern you need to develop. There is a role for self-myofascial release and other soft tissue work, but that is best handled by a competent manual therapist.

A better way to train for mobility (and flexibility) involves actively building strength at the end ranges of motion using isometric contractions, weighted movements, and/or unweighted movements at the end range, depending on the mobility pattern you need to develop.
can you please give specific recommendations for improving depth of squat? thanks for your time.

A better way to train for mobility (and flexibility) involves actively building strength at the end ranges of motion using isometric contractions, weighted movements, and/or unweighted movements at the end range, depending on the mobility pattern you need to develop.
can you please give specific recommendations for improving depth of squat? thanks for your time.
I think ankle/hip exercises and stretches help with mobility.

Ankle:

Face wall, toes facing wall, touch your knee to the wall. Do this 3x8. Difficulty increases the farther your toes are to the wall.

Hip:

Fire hydrant leg rotations.

What I did in college that improved my hip flexabilty (without me even knowing it at the time) were hurdle step overs or over & under. That's if you have access to hurdles. Actually if you do basic track warm up drill that should help such as skipping high knees, karaoke step, sides skips...etc.

Isometric contractions focusing on end range:
Dorsiflexion: Get into the bottom of an unloaded squat and shift your weight on one side and do an isometric contraction of your dorsiflexors.
Plantarflexion: Place the ball of one of your feet on a step or other lowly elevated object with your heel on the floor. Keep your front knee straight. Your back leg should be 1-2 feet behind your front foot. Your goal is to keep your torso as close to vertical as possible while maintaining an isometric contraction of your plantarflexors.
Hip Flexion: Standing on 1 leg, with 1 (or both) arms holding onto a pull up bar (or similar object) for balance, perform an isometric contraction at the end range of hip flexion. This can also be done for reps with the full movement and eventually weighted (not for the first time you try it).

These are just a few examples of possible stretches that can improve your squat. It depends on individual problem areas: adductors, hip rotators, motor control issues, spinal range of motion, technique, etc. As a general rule of thumb, any loaded (not necessarily external weight) stretch becomes more potent when you introduce isometric or concentric contractions.

Ido Portal has 2 routines that are specific to the squat, although they are not individualized and may not be so helpful for some people. Take a look at them:

The squat was originally a resting position. Yes it can be used for strength training, but if you cannot comfortably sit in the bottom of an unloaded ATG squat for at least 1 minute, you really shouldn't be using the pattern for strength training.

My crossfit box doesn't program enough strength to my liking anymore so I've been coming to class 50 minutes early to work on some stuff on my own. It's working.

I'm happy to report that I'm doing some workouts with almost the same weight as someone who has 30-40 pounds on me :pimp:

My snatch has increased 15 pounds since I bought weightlifting shoes. My clean and jerk actually went down, but I'm not worried.

Simply doing high bar squats will not lead to the mobility needed to go deeper. It would require more specific mobility training, depending on the individual person's needs. Oftentimes the calves are the main culprit, but faulty motor control (gluteal amnesia, for example) can also lead to problems going ATG. There is also the issue of individual body structure, such as the structure of the hip joint, which can limit how low you can safely squat.

Kelly Starrett's videos are not a good source of information on training mobility (defined as active range of motion). If you want short term passive flexibility gains, it might help, but longer term gains require more work and smarter training. Stretching using bands, lacrosse balls, and barbells in the ways that he recommends are nearly useless, in my opinion. A better way to train for mobility (and flexibility) involves actively building strength at the end ranges of motion using isometric contractions, weighted movements, and/or unweighted movements at the end range, depending on the mobility pattern you need to develop. There is a role for self-myofascial release and other soft tissue work, but that is best handled by a competent manual therapist.
Lol you could have just said you disagreed with me instead of writing a paper. 

He will be able to go lower with high bar and narrow stance, I do know that. Also everyone Ive heard of in the fitness community praises Kelly and his work. Your opinion is based on training athletes for a specific sport where training is much more advanced in terms of ideology. My answer was aimed at your average gym goer just trying to work on his squat.

If one squats continually over time they are going to become more mobile and be able to squat deeper and better. I know this first hand from my own experience.

Last edited:
How can I get a soccer player physique.

I eat like a pig and I'm still skinny if that helps

Back
Top Bottom