STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I See alot of people add spinach to their shakes and smoothies nowadays.

Is it me or are Mass Gainers the biggest waste of money? I see these joints are 10lbs and 1 serving is 6 big scoops and you get like 1k calories from it smh I would rather eat a bigger steak or add an extra chicken breast or fish to a meal or even take an extra protein shake with PB and fruit added.

I usually add Steel Cut oats and milled flaxseed ( Amazon product ASIN B000FDKQBK ) to my mixture. I am pretty full. I never use it as a meal replacement though. I usually use it as a snack. I have access to food after my workouts. So I eat food. That shake is my "junk food."

Gotcha.. I didnt want to rely on a 'meal replacement' but I return to school in 2 weeks and I wont be able to wake up ealry enough to make a full meal. It would mainly replace breakfast. I plan on getting the other 3 meals in solid form.

Is it me or are Mass Gainers the biggest waste of money? I see these joints are 10lbs and 1 serving is 6 big scoops and you get like 1k calories from it smh I would rather eat a bigger steak or add an extra chicken breast or fish to a meal or even take an extra protein shake with PB and fruit added.

I hate any protein shake that requires more than 1-2 scoops. Would I'd do was split the scoops throughout my day. Yea, I'm only getting 1 serving but I prefer to rely more on real foods now.

Gotcha.. I didnt want to rely on a 'meal replacement' but I return to school in 2 weeks and I wont be able to wake up ealry enough to make a full meal. It would mainly replace breakfast. I plan on getting the other 3 meals in solid form..
So you are PLANNING on not waking up in time? Think about what you are saying man.

You need to get up early and EAT the most important meal of the day.

Gotcha.. I didnt want to rely on a 'meal replacement' but I return to school in 2 weeks and I wont be able to wake up ealry enough to make a full meal. It would mainly replace breakfast. I plan on getting the other 3 meals in solid form.
I hate any protein shake that requires more than 1-2 scoops. Would I'd do was split the scoops throughout my day. Yea, I'm only getting 1 serving but I prefer to rely more on real foods now.

To be quite honest yes whole food is better but Protein Shakes imo are strictly for east of access and cost. When you work 40+ hrs a week its tough to get in alot of protein from food without spending alot of money. You gotta eat 2 chicken breast to get 40-60g of protein so you are running through packs twice as fast, while you can buy protein in bulk and use it to replace your small snacks during the day and just have 2 shakes and 3 full meals or how ever many meals you need to meet your macronutrients, at the end of the day your body sees protein as protein.

Almond Milk + PB + 2 Scoops of Whey +any random fruit that goes with the protein flavor = good snack and the PB adds thickness that will make it feel fulller as you drink it.

When you work 40+ hrs a week its tough to get in alot of protein from food without spending alot of money. You gotta eat 2 chicken breast to get 40-60g of protein so you are running through packs twice as fast,
Gotta think outside of the chicken breast is the only source of protein box man.

Yeah, they said their faces started getting sucked in when they started doing IF. But they both do not look older than 25 and they're both 38! Unbelievable.
idk about that, they definetely dont look 38, but they totally look early 30s, i would give them 28 only because they act like theyre still in their 20s

Gotcha.. I didnt want to rely on a 'meal replacement' but I return to school in 2 weeks and I wont be able to wake up ealry enough to make a full meal. It would mainly replace breakfast. I plan on getting the other 3 meals in solid form..
So you are PLANNING on not waking up in time? Think about what you are saying man.

You need to get up early and EAT the most important meal of the day.

I hear you. I get home at 1am from work and gotta be out of my house by 6:30 to make to school. I'd rather sacrifice a solid meal then lose out on small amount of sleep I'll be getting.

To be quite honest yes whole food is better but Protein Shakes imo are strictly for east of access and cost. When you work 40+ hrs a week its tough to get in alot of protein from food without spending alot of money. You gotta eat 2 chicken breast to get 40-60g of protein so you are running through packs twice as fast, while you can buy protein in bulk and use it to replace your small snacks during the day and just have 2 shakes and 3 full meals or how ever many meals you need to meet your macronutrients, at the end of the day your body sees protein as protein.

Almond Milk + PB + 2 Scoops of Whey +any random fruit that goes with the protein flavor = good snack and the PB adds thickness that will make it feel fulller as you drink it.

When you put it like that it makes sense.

I hear you. I get home at 1am from work and gotta be out of my house by 6:30 to make to school. I'd rather sacrifice a solid meal then lose out on small amount of sleep I'll be getting.
You could make the food at night and warm it up in the AM.

I usually add Steel Cut oats and milled flaxseed ( Amazon product ASIN B000FDKQBK ) to my mixture. I am pretty full. I never use it as a meal replacement though. I usually use it as a snack. I have access to food after my workouts. So I eat food. That shake is my "junk food."

The Flax is a good option.  I add that from time to time.  I mix a scoop of this into mines: Amazon product ASIN B002HI1LSI
I like the yogurt and freezing the fruit as the plain yogurt is less calories than the protein powder, and depending on the brand, you'll get the same amount of protein if not more as you will from a scoop.  I try to avoid doing too much powder nowadays.  Anything more than a scoop is overkill.

Question for DC, do you soak your oats before you add them?  You seem like you live a very clean lifestyle if this is your "junk" lol.

Just gorged on a bowl of beans lol.  Definitely going to stock up this week.

Just gonna throw this out there... but do you guys browse /fit/?

Honestly I laugh so hard at some of the stuff on there. So funny.

1. I don't soak my steel cut oats. I thought that was only beneficial for those looking to cut down on cooking time. Since I am not cooking mine I thought it was pointless. Am I wrong? Also, I sometime add some Psyllium Husk to my shakes. Extra Extra Extra fiber.

2. I cooked a LOT of food this weekend.

2 Chicken Breasts: Seasoned with Cumino, Ceyenne Pepper, Black Pepper, Oregano.

Ground Chicken Spaghetti: I bought some roasted red peppers. So I took those, some spicy peppers that my friend's father grows and some garlic and blended them into a puree. I added that and a half of a jar of tomato sauce and simmered it with the ground chicken. Came out good.

I made the pinto bean soup with kale and sweet potatoes.

Made some string beans

Brown Rice.

I am set for the week man.

Animal flesh/protein powders aren't the only sources of protein either.

Like I said best sources to me. Greek yogurt is gross. Everything else you have to eat a butt load of just to get 40g and it ends up being twice the calories of 2 chicken breast.

what about beans? Eggs? Almonds? Pistachios? Turkey Breast? Low Fat Cheese? You can get lean beef and still get a bunch of protein. There's tons of alternatives high in protein, low in general fat.

Like I said best sources to me. Greek yogurt is gross. Everything else you have to eat a butt load of just to get 40g and it ends up being twice the calories of 2 chicken breast.
We have to start thinking about things other than just hitting numbers. Eating chicken every day just isn't healthy. SO much cholesterol man. You have to keep that in mind when you are consuming so much animal flesh.

But I know so many of us are so hell bent on getting, "X amount of protein."

I see that as a big issue with most workout dudes today.

Chicken breast is the best source of protein imo. Less fat than Red Meats more versatile than Fish and the only pork I mess with is Ribs.
Animal flesh/protein powders aren't the only sources of protein either.
word greek yogurt has hella protein or cottage cheese. i try to eat two servings of one or the other each morning. i get the chobani greek yogurt the apple one has like 15 grams of protein x2 is 30 grams right there. 

edit: and my mom gets these turkey burgers that have like 35 grams of protein in one patty. i was like damb so i been making on those

Last edited:
what about beans? Eggs? Almonds? Pistachios? Turkey Breast? Low Fat Cheese? You can get lean beef and still get a bunch of protein. There's tons of alternatives high in protein, low in general fat.

Almonds to get 20g of protein will be well over 300 calories. Chicken taste better than Turkey, low fat cheese gives me like 12g of protein at about 90 cal and I can tmake a meal of just cheese, Eggs isnt something I could eat 3 times a day.

Like I said the other stuff are good add ons but Chicken is the Foundation of everything in my book. 1 breast at 110-120 cal with 22-24 g of protein = GOAT.

We have to start thinking about things other than just hitting numbers. Eating chicken every day just isn't healthy. SO much cholesterol man. You have to keep that in mind when you are consuming so much animal flesh.
But I know so many of us are so hell bent on getting, "X amount of protein."
I see that as a big issue with most workout dudes today.

I mean I enjoy meat, and will eat meat every meal, Chicken is the Lesser evil of all meat besides turkey, and Chicken tastes way better than turkey. At the end of the day I cant eat stuff I dont enjoy, like I said greek yogurt is one of the worst things I ever tried, I rather have almonds and a banana as a snack, my meals I like to get the bulk of my macros from, lol Im not gonna eat a pound of nuts for dinner.

word greek yogurt has hella protein or cottage cheese. i try to eat two servings of one or the other each morning. i get the chobani greek yogurt the apple one has like 15 grams of protein x2 is 30 grams right there. 

edit: and my mom gets these turkey burgers that have like 35 grams of protein in one patty. i was like damb so i been making on those
I don't eat organic so it might be slightly hypocritical of me shooting down a meat choice, but I wouldn't get pre-made turkey brugers. I would buy the ground turkey and make my own.

I will find the research behind it when I find it.

Back
Top Bottom