STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

:lol: at this stupid vegan preaching nonsense.
people all over the world before this stupid trend even came to existence ate meat with every meal. some were healthy some were unhealthy. meat isn't killing anyone unless it's stuff like pork. are you going to sit here and say olympic athletes are unhealthy too
how is eating chicken everyday NOT moderation? It's not like people are eating an entire chicken daily.
drinking water everyday is that excessive too. :rolleyes
tried to run 2 miles today, I'm not out of shape and I play ball about once a week but new years resolutions blah blah. i thought i could do it cause when is tarted about 2 days ago I ran a mile and it was a breeze... not today. Then again last time I ran with someone else and might've paced myself differently
... definitely walked that 2nd mile. realistically i think maybe in a week or two i'd be good though. I'll be checking this thread, hopefully it's less vegantalk :stoneface:

lol word look at the Native Americans dudes ate meat every day/meal and were in amazing shape, not to bring race up but I`m good on some white scientist telling me how to live my life. Cavemen weren't vegetarians, they ate meat vegetables and fruit every meal.

lol not gonna change my beliefs and customs because someone not even a part of my culture deems it right. lol Thats how they bamboozled us with Religion.
I`m gonna live my life and enjoy it, I work out because I want to look good, not doing it to live till I`m 100. If I wanted optimal health or whatever Id do cross fit. Everyone has different goals.
If I have a heart attack at age 40 because I ate meat every day, guess what, so what I know I enjoyed my life.

QFT. People trying to cut out all the great things in life, avoiding a sip of alcohol, a meal that has been fried... talking about "I'll live longer" You're alive but you're not living.

:lol: at this stupid vegan preaching nonsense.
people all over the world before this stupid trend even came to existence ate meat with every meal. some were healthy some were unhealthy. meat isn't killing anyone unless it's stuff like pork. are you going to sit here and say olympic athletes are unhealthy too
how is eating chicken everyday NOT moderation? It's not like people are eating an entire chicken daily.
drinking water everyday is that excessive too. :rolleyes
More veggies, less meat is all I am saying. Take it how you want.

Any of you all bake with your Protein powder?

Seen people make cheese cakes, donuts, etc, I may do waffles which is nothing spectacular.

I did a protein pumpkin pie once. It was alright. And like you, pancakes and waffles. I have made protein bars before as well. You can make an easy high protein no bake cheesecake just using ff cream cheese, fresh or thawed frozen strawberries, and a granola or flax or whatever cereal you want to use to make the crust.

And reference the better source of protein argument, you can get chicken breasts trimmed almost totally lean, like 110 calories, 1g of fat, 25 of protein. It's nothing vegan going to approach that. Even 96% lean beef is 130, 24g protein 4g of fat and certain cuts of steak have 6g of fat. To get 24g of protein from raw almonds would be 655 calories, also bringing 57g of fat, and 22g of carbs :lol:

Just put some chicken on the grille 
grin.gif

And reference the better source of protein argument, you can get chicken breasts trimmed almost totally lean, like 110 calories, 1g of fat, 25 of protein. It's nothing vegan going to approach that. Even 96% lean beef is 130, 24g protein 4g of fat and certain cuts of steak have 6g of fat. To get 24g of protein from raw almonds would be 655 calories, also bringing 57g of fat, and 22g of carbs
laugh.gif
QFT

1. I don't soak my steel cut oats. I thought that was only beneficial for those looking to cut down on cooking time. Since I am not cooking mine I thought it was pointless. Am I wrong? Also, I sometime add some Psyllium Husk to my shakes. Extra Extra Extra fiber.

2. I cooked a LOT of food this weekend.

2 Chicken Breasts: Seasoned with Cumino, Ceyenne Pepper, Black Pepper, Oregano.

Ground Chicken Spaghetti: I bought some roasted red peppers. So I took those, some spicy peppers that my friend's father grows and some garlic and blended them into a puree. I added that and a half of a jar of tomato sauce and simmered it with the ground chicken. Came out good.

I made the pinto bean soup with kale and sweet potatoes.

Made some string beans

Brown Rice.

I am set for the week man.
Makes sense.  Going to have to give that a shot.  Guess I should invest in a better blender soon anyways.  Figured from a texture standpoint, it'd make it easier for it all to be processed by the blender, but I don't mind a small amount of "grit" lol.

This week I'll keep it simple.

Roast up some bone in chicken breast, probably make a stir fry of some sort, throw together a big salad, roast some veggies, and make some salmon.

Breakfast I usually wake up and do in the AM, not really a big fan of making that ahead of time unless I do oats.

Cool. Now that I know that I won't bother you with health talk.

Not even tryna come off as prick, but I guess thats the thing that caused tension in this thread, you have people in here for all different aspects which is a good thing. Lot of guys in here for health stuff and thats was sup. Me I`m tryna get shredded and look good, so that is why I hold Macros highly, that wont be important to someone who is trying to live till they are 300 years old. Me I want to live it up and look good when I am old. I cant play God, if its my time to go its my time to go, no diet can control that. There are people who smoke cigs every day and outlive someone who never touched a cig. We cant control life. If I dont actually enjoy something I wont do it plain and simple. My power to everyone who wants to be healthy though.

DC get outta here with that **** lol. That's exactly the **** I'm talking about that happens in this thread.

And reference the better source of protein argument, you can get chicken breasts trimmed almost totally lean, like 110 calories, 1g of fat, 25 of protein. It's nothing vegan going to approach that. Even 96% lean beef is 130, 24g protein 4g of fat and certain cuts of steak have 6g of fat. To get 24g of protein from raw almonds would be 655 calories, also bringing 57g of fat, and 22g of carbs :lol:
WHO suggested anything would touch it though. I am simply saying we are too focused on reaching X amount of grams of protein every day that we lose focus of the big picture. Healthy eating. Protein, Protein, Protein, Protein, Protein, Protein, Protein, is all a lot of you dudes think about.

Yo dc what are some good alternatives to meat?
I am not telling anyone to go vegan. I am not vegan. I am not a vegetarian. But I have days/meals where I don't consume meat. We don't need to eat meat with every meal to reach our goals.

But like I mentioned before, I love by bean consumption. I eat them 3+ days per week. Sometimes 4.

Again, I am not telling you to ditch chicken breasts. I am eating some tomorrow. I am just saying don't OD on meat.

And this whole, "Eh nothing will happen to you." Go get your cholesterol checked before you make that statement. It seems that people think something is only bad for you if it gives you INSTANT death/illness (quoting Lucky and other seem to agree).

Progression. Progression. Progression.

Increase veggie intake.

We can change the topic since people are getting irritated. MY BAD! :pimp:

I appreciate ur advice. Ive been thinking of increasing veggie intake.

But does the bean give u a lot of gas? Srs

Soaking your dry beans over night cuts down on the potential gas.

My body is used to beans so I don't think I fart alot. I don't know. I don't think about it. :lol:

WHO suggested anything would touch it though. I am simply saying we are too focused on reaching X amount of grams of protein every day that we lose focus of the big picture. Healthy eating. Protein, Protein, Protein, Protein, Protein, Protein, Protein, is all a lot of you dudes think about.

Well yea because nobody is going to come home from a hard workout and eat a salad and a handful of walnuts. That would just be wasting their workout. That's the purpose of macros, determining approximente how much you need given your fitness goals and activity level. Pumpkin seeds are my favorite vegan source of protein though btw, raw and hulled.

Soaking your dry beans over night cuts down on the potential gas.

My body is used to beans so I don't think I fart alot. I don't know. I don't think about it. :lol:
Whenever i do eat beans i get mad gas :lol: i guess ill just eat it days i dont work or go to school

What kinda beans do u make? U mix em with something?

I was like you man. I thought it was sissified for any grown man to not eat meat. I was stupid when it came to that. I have recently became a vegetarian. Well to the best of my ability.
laugh.gif
. Currently in week 2 but I slipped up and ate a piece of fish at a food demonstration.
nerd.gif

But over the years, I didn't eat much meat at all, at most 2-3 times per week.

Cholesterol found in animal foods.

The inhumane, disgusting, and out right wrong practices at these meat factories.

I have recently tried to become more respectful of the earth as a whole and I feel like I am disrespecting my animal brothers by supporting the commercial meat industry. I am a pet owner and it bothers me imagining someone doing the things to my little warriors that people do to these cows, chickens, turkeys, and pigs. And fish.

A book that caused me to open my eyes was : http://byanygreensnecessary.com/

One of the many MethodMan posts on the topic. Lot of info here for those that care

I would like to hear your thoughts on this growing trend promoted at Whole Foods store everywhere.
http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/foodpyramid.aspx

I think is a moderate way to eat/stay healthy. It makes it simple for starters looking to improve their health.

If the only concern is health, those are reasonable guidelines and represent a substantial improvement over the average North American diet.

Diet design is, by nature, a balancing act in more ways than one. If you're creating a plan for others to adopt, raising the bar too high can make it easier for people to quit than succeed. If you set the bar too low, you're selling people short. I suppose your evaluation of this particular diet will come down to your level of pessimism with respect to the average person's commitment and self-discipline.

Personally, I think it's a little loose. The percentages involved fluctuate wildly. By many accounts, leafy green vegetables should account for roughly half of what you consume on any given day. Here, vegetables can occupy as little as 30% of your caloric intake, yet fruits and nuts can occupy as much as 40% each. That makes it easy to stay within the guidelines, but you can also settle into some habit that are less than optimal. This, in and of itself, isn't going to ensure that you're able to meet all of your dietary needs. If you are going vegan, for example, you need to make sure that you're getting enough B12, for example, or Vitamin D. You may recall that Gwenyth Paltrow, who's vegan, was recently diagnosed with a severe Vitamin D deficiency, for example. The word "vitamin" is something of a misnomer. What we call Vitamin D is actually a hormone naturally produced by our bodies while exposed to direct sunlight. The problem is that the darker your skin, the more exposure you need in order to produce sufficient quantities of Vitamin D. Although there are few sources of Vitamin D in the vegan diet, statistically speaking vegans are no more likely to be deficient than omnivores. It's best to take a supplement, and again I think the Vega product is a very convenient way to ensure that your body's getting all the vitamins and minerals it needs.

Unfortunately, you can't get all of the information you need from product labels. "The Bachellor" can no longer speak to this, since he managed to get himself banned the other day for getting into an ugly flame war with Manglor in another thread (I know, it's hard to believe given how respectfully he handled himself here), but the problem with saying "it's fine if one serving of steak contains 50% of your fats as long as you don't exceed your RDA" is that, as the study I linked to shows, the nutrition information level tells you nothing about its digestibility, the presence of growth hormones like rGBH, its potentially carcinogenic effects, or even how that food interacts with your body's pH level. If the foods you eat have highly acidifying effects on your body's pH level, in order to maintain the proper balance your body's going to tap into the most alkaline substance available: your bones. Many experts now believe that this, at least in part, accounts for the disparities noted in The China Study and elsewhere. Contrary to the unverified claims marketed by the dairy lobby, in areas where dairy products are the most frequently consumed, indicators of bone health (like fracture rates and the incidence of osteoporosis and other degenerative diseases) are far worse than in places like China where lactose intolerance rates are extremely high and dairy products have been traditionally absent from people's diets.

Form matters. It's healthier to get your calcium from collard greens than from cow's milk - period. The hormones in dairy products alone are leading to early sexual maturity in girls and elevated risk of breast cancer.

To say "well, as long as it's less than 10% of your daily caloric intake" is a bit like saying "well, it's okay to drop a little acid - but only rarely and in small doses." If you don't need it, and it's potentially harmful, why include it in the pyramid at all? Even if you use the word "rarely" or "less than 10%," which can, by definition, mean that these products may be omitted entirely, the fact that they're present in the pyramid only serves to validate their inclusion within our diets.

Have you ever seen a commercial for a really sugary cereal - you know, the kind you probably wanted your mom to buy you when you were 5 - that said "part of a balanced breakfast?" Did you ever stop to think about what that actually means? It means nothing. Cardboard can be "part of a balanced breakfast." All you need to add is the balanced breakfast. In that sense, you may as well put a picture of marshmallows, Snickers bars, or Triple Whoppers within the top section of the pyramid. Can you survive while occasionally conceding to such indulgences? Sure - but I wouldn't present that as a goal.

I also don't think it's particularly realistic. Many junk foods are literally designed to be addictive. It's a bit like saying "you can smoke one third of a cigarette per week and still be healthy." If you tell people that, what do you think their actual over/under would be? More likely, you're either smoking nothing or you're sucking down whole packs per week. It takes smokers MORE willpower to smoke 1/3rd of a cigarette and leave it at that than to stop smoking entirely.

For me, I have no problems in that area because I never smoke, never drink, and totally abstain from consuming animal products. That actually helps me stay on the path, because I won't suffer from the same cravings as someone who's hooked. The image of a greasy cheeseburger literally disgusts me now.

I'm not the type to use extreme and misleading scare tactics to convince people that eating any amount of meat will prove fatal. I do, however, think it's far easier to be healthy as a vegan than to be healthy as an omnivore - and for this exact reason. I believe it's easier to abstain from meat and dairy entirely than to be abstemious about it.

If you stay within the boundaries of a vegan diet and you plan it properly, you'll be getting all of what your body needs while minimizing your exposure to potentially hazardous and unhealthy foods.
That, to me, makes the most sense - but, again, I'm strongly motivated by ethical and environmental concerns as well, so I'm not at all interested in how much I can "get away with" and still remain healthy. Strict veganism helps me do the best I can on all of those fronts simultaneously. It's the single best change we can make for our health, the single best change we can make to reduce cruelty to non-human animals, and the single best change we can make to reduce our carbon footprints.

Back
Top Bottom