STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

been going to the gym for the last 3 weeks after the dr who performed my surgery earlier this summer told me i went into cardiac arrest during the surgery . i've been overweight for a while now ( 5'8 , 235 ) and finally i've been going pretty consistent after work, taken off on the weekends only. tryin to lose at least 50. i had brain surgery so my dr doesn't want me overdoing it right now. i basically just been on the treadmill for an hr a day. only reason i'm giving u my life story is cause i honestly have no idea where to start or what to do with weights. i'm eating better and drinking nothing but water and listening to a million different opinions from the "fitness experts" at work :lol:

just basically i'm just asking for a lil direction, where to start. the gym i go to has trainers, 1, but all she seems interested in is who wants to get her # . never see her working with anyone, just trolling the gym seeing who's checking her out. thats why i've basically kept to the treadmill, plus the weights area looks like a prison yard but i can get around that if i felt better and more confident about what i was doing. any advice would be appreciated, any jokes are accepted also :lol:

seriously tho, i really would appreciate any advice or direction where i could find info....

been going to the gym for the last 3 weeks after the dr who performed my surgery earlier this summer told me i went into cardiac arrest during the surgery . i've been overweight for a while now ( 5'8 , 235 ) and finally i've been going pretty consistent after work, taken off on the weekends only. tryin to lose at least 50. i had brain surgery so my dr doesn't want me overdoing it right now. i basically just been on the treadmill for an hr a day. only reason i'm giving u my life story is cause i honestly have no idea where to start or what to do with weights. i'm eating better and drinking nothing but water and listening to a million different opinions from the "fitness experts" at work :lol:

just basically i'm just asking for a lil direction, where to start. the gym i go to has trainers, 1, but all she seems interested in is who wants to get her # . never see her working with anyone, just trolling the gym seeing who's checking her out. thats why i've basically kept to the treadmill, plus the weights area looks like a prison yard but i can get around that if i felt better and more confident about what i was doing. any advice would be appreciated, any jokes are accepted also :lol:

seriously tho, i really would appreciate any advice or direction where i could find info....
Get the form down and don’t stress about a “routine”

Don’t get down about the next person and what they’re doing or any stares etc - everyone starts somewhere and you made the biggest effort, showing up. Would never knock no one for trying and tbh if you need any pointers/tips, realistically approach someone who appears level headed and they’ll help you out.

Youtube is a good start.

Youtube is a good start.

I’ve always thought Jeremy Ethier’s YT stuff was a good starting point for serious beginners.

You get exposure to basic exercise science, clear programming that will serve most people well far past beginner experience levels, and good video demonstrations depicting correct form.

With winter looming, how long should a person be in pool? I like to hop in my apartment complex pool for about 15 20 minutes the day after my workouts. That's the closest thing I have to cryotherapy.

I think some progressive strength training like stronglifts is an excellent starter routine if you do get to that.

I think some progressive strength training like stronglifts is an excellent starter routine if you do get to that.
Yup, starting strength/strong lifts is usually the goto for beginner programs. The only pause here is that the doctor doesn’t want him pushing too hard so idk.

Maybe more isolated dumbbell/machine work for now first before moving onto compound lifts.

I lost 60 plus pounds since May. I’ve done intermittent fasting and have worked out like 5-6 days a week. I too started off doing heavy cardio, but I eventually also started lifting too. I would start by doing pull ups. If there’s a pull up bar at your gym start there. If you can life your own body weight then you will eventually get stronger. I remember when I could barely do one pull up, but now I can do 10 like nothing. You’ll get there if your consistent and eat good.

Screenshot_20211111-191245_Gallery.jpg

Already tore a callus :smh:

With winter looming, how long should a person be in pool? I like to hop in my apartment complex pool for about 15 20 minutes the day after my workouts. That's the closest thing I have to cryotherapy.
it depends. 15-20 minutes is not bad. as long as you don't get frostbite or close to hypothermia or the water getting stiff frozen, then you should be good to go. I've done cold swims in the past at my old workplace like 4 times a week in the fall months of september to november outdoors before they close the pool by winter months. I'd say cold swims are really good. I spent about 45 minutes on each session. the initial dip is always tough so once I get into the water I would start swimming immediately and it wasn't that bad for my body to adapt to the cold temperature and I was fine. funny is after every session is finished and got out of the pool, my body is smoking from the body heat. also, it was my healthiest my body ever was.

I played ball Monday evening, after I noticed my right knee clicks with literally every step. It’s Thursday night now and it hasn’t stopped at all, it’s legitimately every step, when I extend the leg. I know knee popping is normal and some people’s knees crunch every time at the bottom of a squat for example. This seems like something else…. There’s no pain or swelling though. I haven’t hooped or ran and am kinda nervous if I do explosive moves something might pop.

definitely talk with your doctor before engaging in any fitness regimens (i assume you've had some conversation about what your limitations should be?)...while cardio is great, building muscle/strength will further help you in the long term goal of losing weight more efficiently; maybe start with bodyweight stuff (pushups, air squats, etc.) & progressively build up as recommended by your doc.

good luck, and remember it is going to be a process!

I played ball Monday evening, after I noticed my right knee clicks with literally every step. It’s Thursday night now and it hasn’t stopped at all, it’s legitimately every step, when I extend the leg. I know knee popping is normal and some people’s knees crunch every time at the bottom of a squat for example. This seems like something else…. There’s no pain or swelling though. I haven’t hooped or ran and am kinda nervous if I do explosive moves something might pop.

it is fairly common for knees to click/pop, if you aren't having any issue with pain or range of motion you are probably fine

just have it checked to be sure. I'd keep it easy for now. also, an ultrasound therapy could help. for me, it bothers me. I'm undergoing therapy right now for my knee crepitus and it's a lot more worse than yours. I couldn't run and jump right now and my league participation is questionable. my last game was terrible and didn't stay long inside the court. not sure if I'll be able to play in the remaining game and playoffs. our team is good this year but 6 of us are in the injured list, so we might not be able to advance further as we had hoped eventhough we beat the top team in the elims. my shooting is back, too bad my knees are gone.

just have it checked to be sure. I'd keep it easy for now. also, an ultrasound therapy could help. for me, it bothers me. I'm undergoing therapy right now for my knee crepitus and it's a lot more worse than yours. I couldn't run and jump right now and my league participation is questionable. my last game was terrible and didn't stay long inside the court. not sure if I'll be able to play in the remaining game and playoffs. our team is good this year but 6 of us are in the injured list, so we might not be able to advance further as we had hoped eventhough we beat the top team in the elims. my shooting is back, too bad my knees are gone.
Damn, my league playoffs too 😂 we are killin teams

it depends. 15-20 minutes is not bad. as long as you don't get frostbite or close to hypothermia or the water getting stiff frozen, then you should be good to go. I've done cold swims in the past at my old workplace like 4 times a week in the fall months of september to november outdoors before they close the pool by winter months. I'd say cold swims are really good. I spent about 45 minutes on each session. the initial dip is always tough so once I get into the water I would start swimming immediately and it wasn't that bad for my body to adapt to the cold temperature and I was fine. funny is after every session is finished and got out of the pool, my body is smoking from the body heat. also, it was my healthiest my body ever was.

I normally get in the pool for 20-30 minutes. You're right it's tough at first but my body feels so refreshed afterwards. The soreness is really minimized. I should have been doing this years ago.

I normally get in the pool for 20-30 minutes. You're right it's tough at first but my body feels so refreshed afterwards. The soreness is really minimized. I should have been doing this years ago.
it's really a luxury and preferred it more than heated water pool. I do laps which makes it even better for cold swims. too bad the outdoor cold pools are closed in my place unlike that workplace I had many years ago. I wasn't much of a swimmer back then but got my groove thanks to some young girls that motivated me a lot to become a decent swimmer. I became addicted to it like going to the gym. I did it atleast 4 times a week. I remember swimming in the cold months with another swim addict. man, she was hot as hell.

definitely talk with your doctor before engaging in any fitness regimens (i assume you've had some conversation about what your limitations should be?)...while cardio is great, building muscle/strength will further help you in the long term goal of losing weight more efficiently; maybe start with bodyweight stuff (pushups, air squats, etc.) & progressively build up as recommended by your doc.

good luck, and remember it is going to be a process!

Imma second this.

Once you are cleared for activity with no restrictions, lifting weights will probably serve you better for changing your body composition than cardio (especially steady-state cardio), so do both but prioritize throwing some iron around.

Biggest things are probably consistency and focus. Losing focus and/or lacking (good) consistency probably derail more gym newbs than anything else, at least from what I see.

Once working out becomes second nature you don't really have to think about it or plan to do it, you just do it, kinda like eating.

Read up on SL 5×5 or SS and just do it. YT the lifts and start with the bar/2×25's for deads, and follow the program to a T. Don't add in exercises or variations, skip days or lifts, none of that. Eat to fuel your workouts but keep it 80-90% clean and don't overshoot your calories.

Do that for 6 months straight and you should be gucci.

If you had a gym rat friend that could show you how to lift properly, that would be money. Most commercial gym trainers are mid and not really worth the money IME. (I also don't take lifting advice from anyone that's weaker than I am, so there's that.)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom