STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Yea it depends on ur overall goal Im more catabolic then anabolic with everything I do fitness wise but I want to strike a balance.

Repping 225 on the bench 15 times for a full 5 set workout>>>>doing 350 for a few reps.

Unless you're a powerlifter, in which case sets of 15 will do very little for you.
yeshrug.png

As he should be.
unimpressed.png

Push-ups just aren't important unless you're doing a PT test.
manny.png

Calisthenics are mid as hell unless you're in a developing nation, live in the boonies w/ no gym access, or are in prison.

Weights >>>>> no weights.
rejoice.png

calisthenics can be super impactful just as long as it’s done with proper perspective, it’s definitely not the most efficient way to get in shape and obviously weights are easier to progressively overload but bodyweight movements are pretty self regulating & have straightforward ways to both progress & regress every movement. calisthenics can also be useful for general body awareness & proprioception something that you don’t get (nor would you really even want to 😬) from weight training

Unless you're a powerlifter, in which case sets of 15 will do very little for you.
yeshrug.png

maybe not specifically for the sport but as a different way of training to provide stimulus it probably would be beneficial…

Not a powerlifter. So how many reps is the magic number to get a burn cause my arms were cramping up all night. :lol:

no magic number for reps really, kinda depends what the aim is…50 is probably too many tho 😂 (the cross fitters would probably disagree 😮‍💨). most would be cool anywhere in the 6-15 range for most movements (maybe there’s an argument for 30+ reps for lagging/stubborn muscles but not sure even that would be as optimal than just more frequency with fewer & heavier reps) such that they can go through full range of motion with control & keep their form fairly solid, you’re going to have to experiment with finding a weight that is appropriately challenging

as an aside, somewhat relatedly to the topic of feelings a burn or getting a ‘pump’ when training, since i typically train both fasted and lower reps i don’t ever get that feeling or look but when i inadvertently switched this up a couple weeks ago by having eaten before i went to the gym & doing less than 10 reps on a muscle group i don’t really train often i was getting this crazy tightness that i’ve come to find out is the ‘pump’ from having more carbs…so fueling up could be another way to get that feeling

calisthenics can be super impactful just as long as it’s done with proper perspective, it’s definitely not the most efficient way to get in shape and obviously weights are easier to progressively overload but bodyweight movements are pretty self regulating & have straightforward ways to both progress & regress every movement. calisthenics can also be useful for general body awareness & proprioception something that you don’t get (nor would you really even want to 😬) from weight training

maybe not specifically for the sport but as a different way of training to provide stimulus it probably would be beneficial…

no magic number for reps really, kinda depends what the aim is…50 is probably too many tho 😂 (the cross fitters would probably disagree 😮‍💨). most would be cool anywhere in the 6-15 range for most movements (maybe there’s an argument for 30+ reps for lagging/stubborn muscles but not sure even that would be as optimal than just more frequency with fewer & heavier reps) such that they can go through full range of motion with control & keep their form fairly solid, you’re going to have to experiment with finding a weight that is appropriately challenging

as an aside, somewhat relatedly to the topic of feelings a burn or getting a ‘pump’ when training, since i typically train both fasted and lower reps i don’t ever get that feeling or look but when i inadvertently switched this up a couple weeks ago by having eaten before i went to the gym & doing less than 10 reps on a muscle group i don’t really train often i was getting this crazy tightness that i’ve come to find out is the ‘pump’ from having more carbs…so fueling up could be another way to get that feeling

Yea different. I workout, including cardio in a ketogenic state. If I want it to get more challenging I just raise the weight but never compromise my reps.

Last edited:
obviously you know yourself more than any of us do 😂 just saying that suffering inducing 50 rep sets aren’t at all necessary for what you’re saying you want

Last edited:
youre not wrong. :lol: but i feel stronger.

Me versus NT body builders

🤣🤣🤣 touché 😂 the high rep training is more akin to aesthetics/bodybuilding than anything 🤷🏿‍♂…you might feel stronger, but are you actually? and could you be stronger or at minimum get the same results by doing less/being training more effectively & efficiently is the gist of the critique; it’s neither a body builder vs. powerlifter discussion but what might be closer to optimally effective

🤣🤣🤣 touché 😂 the high rep training is more akin to aesthetics/bodybuilding than anything 🤷🏿‍♂…you might feel stronger, but are you actually? and could you be stronger or at minimum get the same results by doing less/being training more effectively & efficiently is the gist of the critique; it’s neither a body builder vs. powerlifter discussion but what might be closer to optimally effective

Powerlifting is optimally effective for becoming bigger, stronger, and mastering your tank top, eff what you thought/heard.
usure.png

But I get it. Ur only a C Class hero yourself there, patna. It makes sense that you'd be confused.

I'm going to prescribe you a half gallon of (whole) milk a day P.O. and a course of nSuns (5 day Row or 5 day Squats + Row) for 6 months or until your condition improves.
pachah1.png

Powerlifting is optimally effective for becoming bigger, stronger, and mastering your tank top, eff what you thought/heard.
usure.png

But I get it. Ur only a C Class hero yourself there, patna. It makes sense that you'd be confused.

I'm going to prescribe you a half gallon of (whole) milk a day P.O. and a course of nSuns (5 day Row or 5 day Squats + Row) for 6 months or until your condition improves.
pachah1.png

he isn’t trying to be a powerlifter tho and maximal strength doesn’t seem to be his goal either…but making 50 rep sets routine aren’t likely to be all that effective for endurance or strength

Back
Top Bottom