STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Hip hinge? Yes. That's for Romanian DLs though.

You don't bend at the hips for stiff legged. You bend at the waist.

Last edited:
Been on a runner's high lately. About 20 miles a week so far. 

Ever since I was told not to lift and let my elbow strain heal (about 2weeks ago, doctor suggested a month and then resuming ultra light lifts), I've been nonstop running the streets. However I'm hoping that I do  not kill my "gains" by only doing cardio. I'm only able to workout legs, which has been body weight exercises anyway,  no additive  weights involved. I'm wondering what else I can do. 

What do you guys suggest I do to maintain and not breakdown a lot of  muscle. I'm still  eating the same as before, I'm just concerned with the amount of work I put in the last few months going to waste over a month of only cardio. 

My man. I need this motivation!

That's one thing I don't think I'll ever have a passion for... but I want to.
I started using Nike + app and it's made  me competitive with my other Nike friends. It allows us to compete with each other as far as stats. So it's more of a ego replacement for the meantime. I was never into running, especially getting up and going outside to do so. But I must say it's a lot nicer than being on the treadmill, especially depending on the weather. That's where the early morning/late evenings comes into play. 

A lot of guys that put up heavy weight do not have short arms....

Tmbo whats a good routine thats more advanced than a 5x5? I'm not really sure about the 5/3/1, I just want something that will get my lifts up and I will throw in some accessory work after.

Tmbo whats a good routine thats more advanced than a 5x5? I'm not really sure about the 5/3/1, I just want something that will get my lifts up and I will throw in some accessory work after.

What don't you like about 5/3/1?

check out the Texas Method. I was doing 5/3/2 for a while and while its a solid program the pace is a lil slow for an intermediate lifter like myself.

TM is a natural extension for after you start stalling on a LP like 5x5 or SS.

Basically on Texas Method you got three main lifting days per week: an intensity day where you do 5x5, a recovery day where you do 3x5 at a lighter weight, and then an intensity day where you do a 5 rep (near) max set or work up to a heavy single or triple. It's focused on the squat as you are squatting all three days and has helped my squat a good deal since I got on it.

Doesn't really call for much assistance work but you could add some at the end of your lifting days or add in a 4th to work out bixeps, traps, olys.

Look it up for a lil more on it and I can posy some more on it when I'm back home on the comp. I bought the e-book so I can prolly answer any Q's you have

Might look into this myself. I've done all types of workout programs but never did a solid 5x5 program. Just started about a month ago so I can't really tell yet if my strength has gone up. My quads are looking massive though from all the squatting.
I'll look into this Texas Method after a few more months of 5x5

Last edited:

Ever since I was told not to lift and let my elbow strain heal (about 2weeks ago, doctor suggested a month and then resuming ultra light lifts), I've been nonstop running the streets. However I'm hoping that I do  not kill my "gains" by only doing cardio. I'm only able to workout legs, which has been body weight exercises anyway,  no additive  weights involved. I'm wondering what else I can do. 

What do you guys suggest I do to maintain and not breakdown a lot of  muscle. I'm still  eating the same as before, I'm just concerned with the amount of work I put in the last few months going to waste over a month of only cardio. 
DAMN you sound like me, I have a mild strain in my right elbow.  They didn't see anything in the MRI but they think it might be a strain in my tricep, either way they want me to take a month off and visit the PT twice a week.  It's weird because it is my right arm which use to be my stronger arm, but now I don't think so.  PT thinks maybe my right is overcompensating for my left in exercises, once I can get back into it I am going to do a lot more single arm bi's and tris.  Hopefully catch the two up.  I am not running 20 miles, I HATE running.  I hit the gym M, T, TH, S 45 mins of H.I.I.T cardio W legs, F calves.  I need to get this excess weight off, I am getting lots of protein in 5/6 meals so I don't loose my gains.

LOL at saying its easier for shorter guys to squat and bench heavy weight...

All I hear is excuses... just get under the bar and squat

aint nobody making excuses but its alot easier to travel down and up being 5'8 than being 6'4... would'nt trade my genetics for anything is this world... you cant gain height in the gym 8)

I thought I was balling running 9-12 a week, signed up for my 1st sponsered 5K this sat in Brooklyn, cant wait.

Nobody making excuses but a dude with a big wingspan has to out in more work doing a bb bench press compared to someone with short arms.

Not really. You have the advantage of more muscle mass (than someone with shorter limbs) because of the longer levers. At the end of the day, people look into this too much.

Comparing relative strength numbers (to bodyweight) is best. For example, a 2xBodyweight back squat is very respectable and attainable for most males and is not 'easy' for anyone that has never strength trained before. Sure, it might be somewhat easier for some people because of their build, but who cares? You can't change many of those factors (height, muscle insertions, limb length). Focus on what you can control instead(body fat, consistency in training, smarter training, etc.).

People with these excuses like to justify their weaknesses. If you objectively look at elite athletes, the taller ones are the strongest in absolute terms. Look at guys like Klokov, Mark Henry, Mariusz Pudzianowski, Žydrūnas Savickas, Hossein Rezazadeh, and Derek Poundstone. (raw) World records are all set by fairly tall people, with some even as tall as 6'6" like Behdad Salimi. Even if you look at women's strength sports, the trend is there. Look at the olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, and strongman world records.

When my friends argue about who's stronger, the first thing that gets thrown around is "your shorter/taller" or "you weigh more". Dudes look way to deep into those things. Just lift the weights my man. 

Not really. You have the advantage of more muscle mass (than someone with shorter limbs) because of the longer levers. At the end of the day, people look into this too much.

Comparing relative strength numbers (to bodyweight) is best. For example, a 2xBodyweight back squat is very respectable and attainable for most males and is not 'easy' for anyone that has never strength trained before. Sure, it might be somewhat easier for some people because of their build, but who cares? You can't change many of those factors (height, muscle insertions, limb length). Focus on what you can control instead(body fat, consistency in training, smarter training, etc.).

People with these excuses like to justify their weaknesses. If you objectively look at elite athletes, the taller ones are the strongest in absolute terms. Look at guys like Klokov, Mark Henry, Mariusz Pudzianowski, Žydrūnas Savickas, Hossein Rezazadeh, and Derek Poundstone. (raw) World records are all set by fairly tall people, with some even as tall as 6'6" like Behdad Salimi. Even if you look at women's strength sports, the trend is there. Look at the olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, and strongman world records.

lol as stated before there are no excuses being made. I promise majority of the time a person with shorter arms that has been working out the same time and as someone with longer arms and is the same weight as them, the person with shorter arms will get more reps in than the longer arm person. All because you can bench 225 30 times doesnt necessarily mean you are "strong" look at foot ball. You got cats who get clowned at the combine for "weak benches" that will man handle any bodybuildier that has a higher bench than them. I promise you an Elite athlete such as Kevin Durant has a weaker bench than Nate Robinson.

strongest dude at my gym is like 6'2. guy is a beast and bench presses over 600 lbs. too bad he got kicked out for being hella loud lol.

Last edited:
lol as stated before there are no excuses being made. I promise majority of the time a person with shorter arms that has been working out the same time and as someone with longer arms and is the same weight as them, the person with shorter arms will get more reps in than the longer arm person. All because you can bench 225 30 times doesnt necessarily mean you are "strong" look at foot ball. You got cats who get clowned at the combine for "weak benches" that will man handle any bodybuildier that has a higher bench than them. I promise you an Elite athlete such as Kevin Durant has a weaker bench than Nate Robinson.

There's a difference between strength and functionality. Comparing someone who actually plays football to a bodybuilder makes no sense.

Look at Brock Lesnar for example. If you don't play football, you aren't gonna be good at football. There are skills and technique that go with playing any sport. Not a very logical comparison IMO.

Back
Top Bottom