STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

at the end of the day I stand by what I say. A person with longer arms has to give more effort than someone with shorter arms. Never said being tall makes you weak.

2009 vs 2 days ago

Its funny... I'm nowhere near where I want to be but my family (God bless them) is always asking me "why do u keep working out?", "why bother with strict eating any more?" etc. as though I've "arrived".

NO WAY! Got to keep grinding!!

S/o to this thread for keeping me motivated... for real... You guys help a lot.

(in b4... keep working on them forearms :lol:)

Feels bad man.

Took some preworkout, laid on the couch for a bit, and still fell asleep. Guess that's what I get for sleeping only 3 hrs last night.

Oh well, off to the rec.

:lol:

I did that once, never again.

NOW what I do it take it in the whip 5 minutes before(4:55) as i'm waiting for the gym to open up @5am

Woke up this morning and my body was clearly telling me to take today off from the gym. Still itching to go, though :lol:

lol as stated before there are no excuses being made. I promise majority of the time a person with shorter arms that has been working out the same time and as someone with longer arms and is the same weight as them, the person with shorter arms will get more reps in than the longer arm person. All because you can bench 225 30 times doesnt necessarily mean you are "strong" look at foot ball. You got cats who get clowned at the combine for "weak benches" that will man handle any bodybuildier that has a higher bench than them. I promise you an Elite athlete such as Kevin Durant has a weaker bench than Nate Robinson.

It is an excuse, whether you accept it or not. You can't change it, so why bother whining about it? There is so much variability in this that it's truly worthless in my opinion. Don't waste your energy making excuses about limb length, height, or bodyweight. Not all people with a 7 foot wingspan are equal, and it's worthless to try comparing them. This is where individuality comes into play and can't be changed no matter how hard you try.

Longer limbs = longer muscles and more connective tissue = more strength. There is no such thing as a perfect build unless you specialize in one movement pattern. For example, long arms may be seen as problematic when performing upper body strength movements; however, someone with those same long arms would be better at dunking a basketball, rock climbing, playing racquet sports, etc.

Your "promise" doesn't hold up. There are too many factors, despite your conditions: muscle fiber composition (fast or slow twitch), training protocol, bodyweight distribution, body composition, etc. Again, individuality, and it doesn't matter. Why would you bother trying to discredit someone that reaches a goal? If 2 guys can both back squat 2xBW, who cares if one is 6 inches taller? Both can perform at a good level in this specific test. Remember, strength is only as good as the test used to measure it. You can't always make everything perfectly equal, and why bother? Your thinking is exactly what is described in "Harrison Bergeron", trying to make everyone exactly equal, holding back everyone that isn't the worst. If we applied your thinking, there would be no world records because there would be too much to consider: muscle insertions, tendon lengths, age, training history, genetics, socioeconomic background, zodiac sign, etc.

30 reps is not "strength", it is strength endurance. There is too much going on in football to predict performance with a strength endurance test. The same is true for nearly all sports, where performance in sports specific movements are more important than strength and conditioning, to an extent.

This is a worthless topic and you need to stop trying to compare people and their performances. Set goals, train hard, and enjoy the results. That's it; as simple as that.

Article I found about this topic on Livestrong website

"Long Limbs
The further the force must move the weight, the more difficult the movement. Taller people have longer arms than shorter people, so their body must travel a farther distance from the floor on every repetition, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. If two people of the same weight but different heights do push-ups, the shorter one has it easier because of the shorter distance to the floor."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/367849-are-push-ups-harder-for-a-tall-person-to-do/

Finna leave it at that. I still get it in. 8)

"Long Limbs
The further the force must move the weight, the more difficult the movement. Taller people have longer arms than shorter people, so their body must travel a farther distance from the floor on every repetition, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. If two people of the same weight but different heights do push-ups, the shorter one has it easier because of the shorter distance to the floor."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/367849-are-push-ups-harder-for-a-tall-person-to-do/

This isn't even something that should be debated. Longer limbed people do more "work" on an exercise when compared to a shorter limbed person. It's physics.

This isn't even something that should be debated. Longer limbed people do more "work" on an exercise when compared to a shorter limbed person. It's physics.

In the true definition of work, it can't really be debated.

But additional weight of a taller person makes it easier to move weight with squats and deadlifts. Unless you have freakishly long arms or legs, it's all relative.

Should someone who is tall and frail be able to use being tall as an excuse to not be able to squat? Chances are a short and frail individual wont be able to move much weight either.

"Long Limbs

What does it matter comparing yourself to shorter or taller dudes? Get in the gym, do work, get results, no excuses.

No matter what there's always someone taller, shorter, stronger, weaker. No need to make excuses on why shorter guys can lift more (you would have a weight advantage so technically you should be able to lift more then some shorter dudes, but let's not get into that) or why you can't properly squat, do lunges, or deadlift.

What does it matter comparing yourself to shorter or taller dudes? Get in the gym, do work, get results, no excuses.

No matter what there's always someone taller, shorter, stronger, weaker. No need to make excuses on why shorter guys can lift more (you would have a weight advantage so technically you should be able to lift more then some shorter dudes, but let's not get into that) or why you can't properly squat, do lunges, or deadlift.

You love that word excuse, its just facts.
How would you know I have a weight advantage? thats the 1st time in my life i've ever been pegged with a advantage due to my weight :lol: I was 145 4 yrs ago sitting at 175 now... Thanks for typing out already what I do on a consistant basis tho appreciate it fam.

It's all relative, if you're light for any size you'll struggle moving relative heavy weight for your size.

There are tall and short people who can't squat properly cause of mobility issues. I don't think anyone is debating who techniqually does more "work".

This all started when a couple of tall people said they struggle to squat and lunge properly, when it sounded like they were solely blaming it on being tall.

Unless something is physically disabling you, you should be able to squat and lunge properly no matter how tall or short you are.

It's not as simple as that, Durden. According to physics, you don't do any work in any movement if you return to your starting position. If you run a lap around a circular track, your displacement is zero. If you do a bench press starting and ending at lockout, your displacement is zero, again. And since work = force x displacement, you do zero work if you have no displacement.

Yes, you can argue that the concentric portion is the one that does the "work", but an eccentric phase does not have zero force. This is all semantics anyway. I still don't understand why anyone cares who's better because they have to lift a weight 2" more than a person shorter than them. At the end of the day, if a 5'6" and a 6' tall guy both back squat 2xBW, they are equal to me.

check out the Texas Method. I was doing 5/3/2 for a while and while its a solid program the pace is a lil slow for an intermediate lifter like myself.

TM is a natural extension for after you start stalling on a LP like 5x5 or SS.

Basically on Texas Method you got three main lifting days per week: an intensity day where you do 5x5, a recovery day where you do 3x5 at a lighter weight, and then an intensity day where you do a 5 rep (near) max set or work up to a heavy single or triple. It's focused on the squat as you are squatting all three days and has helped my squat a good deal since I got on it.

Doesn't really call for much assistance work but you could add some at the end of your lifting days or add in a 4th to work out bixeps, traps, olys.

Look it up for a lil more on it and I can posy some more on it when I'm back home on the comp. I bought the e-book so I can prolly answer any Q's you have
Good looks homie, I really love 5x5s to be honest, it has made my squat go up each week practically. I will look in to TM, I had thought about changing it up to some 6x4s and keep doing heavy singles doubles and triples for bench and sometimes squat. Dude at my gym tried to tell me that anything under 5 reps isnt good for strength gain 
eyes.gif

What don't you like about 5/3/1?
I don't dislike like it, I just haven't read up much about it.

It's all relative, if you're light for any size you'll struggle moving relative heavy weight for your size.

There are tall and short people who can't squat properly cause of mobility issues. I don't think anyone is debating who techniqually does more "work".

This all started when a couple of tall people said they struggle to squat and lunge properly, when it sounded like they were solely blaming it on being tall.

Unless something is physically disabling you, you should be able to squat and lunge properly no matter how tall or short you are.
BINGO

Damn dudes really mad that I said they were making excuses 
laugh.gif

I can tell it rustled some jimmies when you respond with, "cant get taller in the gym" 
indifferent.gif

Tough to get stronger if you cant squat 
glasses.gif

Last edited:
I just said it was awkward when I lunged :lol:

And seeing how some other tall folks co-signed :lol:

No need to be upset :lol:

Lol word we said it felt awkward never said it was hard. Dudes is talking ya ya about dudes making excuses for being weak, when that's not the case.

Only beef I have with being an ectomorph (tall/thin) is my inability to put on mass. My metabolism must have super powers.

Its a pain... I've been trying to bulk for the past 3 weeks... Eating 8x a day averaging about 3500 calories... Haven't weighed myself but I feel like I haven't gained... :lol:

I'm 6'5" and can attest to the height disadvantage lol. You just gotta keep working on your mobility and flexibility. I have orangutan arms and can bench over 400 and DL 500...squat around 500. When your tall and in shape tho...nothing compares to that 8)

Back
Top Bottom