STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I used to use fb gloves when I lifted back when I played, no lie cuz it just looked cool in the weightroom 
laugh.gif
.  Now I just chalk it up and work on the grip strength.  Only use straps when I do BB shrugs off a deadlift with 405+.  

I only rock straps, because chalk isn't allowed in my gym.

Callouses don't bother me. Use a nail file, and smooth em over.

Reason I don't rock gloves is it seems as if it hinders grip strength. With gloves, I can't deadlift 275 raw. With no gloves/straps, I can do 335+.

Might be broscience, but I believe in it.

i stopped using my straps and been working on my deadlift grip for awhile now. ive gotten to the point where i can pull my 1 rep max(~420) with no straps. hook grip FTW. never used mixed grip im cool off torn bicep.

Last edited:
i stopped using my straps and been working on my deadlift grip for awhile now. ive gotten to the point where i can pull my 1 rep max(~420) with no straps. hook grip FTW. never used mixed grip im cool off torn bicep.

I'm down with chalk but man, once the grip starts going around 300ish I go mixed grip. Tried the hook grip but that takes forever to get used to.

Just keep at it man trust me. I hated it at first and my thumb would be sore the rest of the day but it's the only way I pull now even when I decide to use straps I use straps+hook grip

Torn bicep from mixed grip is the most common injury from deadlifting. No thx!

Last edited:
Just keep at it man trust me. I hated it at first and my thumb would be sore the rest of the day but it's the only way I pull now even when I decide to use straps I use straps+hook grip

Torn bicep from mixed grip is the most common injury from deadlifting. No thx!

I tried Mixed Grip DL one time, NEVER again.

I'm all about staggered grip on deads.

You can't hook grip heeeeeaaaavvvyyyyy weight.

yes you can. brad gillingham pulls 900 with hook grip. dat form with that weight doe :smokin

just 1 example a hook grip user.

Last edited:

Took a while to get my forearm back.

But honestly am a fan chalk or nothing.

Guess it's all up to the believer.

What the hell happened here?

Mixed grip and get torn bicep lol. Been using that for years never felt anything in my bicep while deadlifting. EVER!

That guy has the most awkward body I have ever seen...

The vast majority of world record holders are staggered grip.

Regardless - same debate as gloves or no gloves.

Every one is right.

I also know many people that have injured their thumbs while using hook grip.

A lot of bicep injuries occur while dead lifting from recruiting your bicep to help pull the weight up.

You can't recruit your bicep in lifts like deadlift and shrugs.

I always tell people to pretend that you have no arms, and just hands to hold the weight.

Pull the weight with your back, rather than shrugging to get the weight up - that's how you go snap crackle POP

here i did you guys a favor and compiled some videos. kind of surprised some you arent aware of one of the risks of using mixed/staggered grip. :rolleyes

Last edited:
I also know many people that have injured their thumbs while using hook grip.

A lot of bicep injuries occur while dead lifting from recruiting your bicep to help pull the weight up.

You can't recruit your bicep in lifts like deadlift and shrugs.

I always tell people to pretend that you have no arms, and just hands to hold the weight.

Pull the weight with your back, rather than shrugging to get the weight up - that's how you go snap crackle POP

yeah exactly this is a good post.

another thing i learned from mark bell is that if you train your biceps with isolation work and proper overload you can help prevent this type of injury.

personally for me the risk aint worth it tho.

jonnie candito goes in depth

Last edited:
You only tear your bicep on DLs if you try to curl the weight, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd consider that a form problem, or something rather than solely blame it on mixed grip.

What is staggered grip though?

am i the only one that gets shoulder pain with DB inclines and BB inclines?
You might need to change the angle of your elbows.  If you're flaring your elbows can put a lot of stress on your shoulders/rotator cuff. 

Gonna try eating at 2300 calories for this Cut 3 Day full body split similar to Starting Strength but higher volume with 3 days of cardio med intensity for 20-30 min

Back
Top Bottom