STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Getting into boxing tomorrow night. Probably go a couple times per week. Any tips on strength training and diet while boxing simultaneously?

How is this taste wise?

I'm at the point where I don't want to touch many of the commercial protein powders anymore because the majority of them have a bunch of filler and pointless crap in there.  I've always been of the opinion that as long as you train consistently, discipline yourself, and eat right, that's all you really need to get results.  Beyond that, it's not even worth it.  I already use a few Garden of Life products so I may start taking their protein as well.  The fact that it's gluten free is another plus.  Other than ON's Natural Whey, none of these products on the market interest me.  Always nice to see someone posting something about healthy living beyond the aesthetics.

The OG one tastes like a vegetarians throw up but this one with cacao/chocolate tastes great. The Vanilla one is even better but it is hard to find and for some reason costs about $3 bucks more.

Remember this is a meal replacement...but they sell the protein powder also which is around $25. I take this meal replacement instead because it has a lot of vitamins and fiber. The Protein is just protein.

I agree. The fillers in some of the other proteins are terrible. This Raw meal and the protein powder has only ingredients I can pronounce lol

T
That you Stnnafasho :nerd:
That isn't your normal "supplement" though. That could have led to him getting sick, not any of the over the counter stuff. 

True. but he injected roids into his blood. The cancer was in his colon where all the stuff we eat passes through fermented and toxic. That is why it is important to drink water and not go too long without taking a dump. You don't have to change your routine but just think about what you eat, drink and smoke....especially if you are doing it in large quantities in order to gain mass.

Last edited:
How do you guys feel about eating every 2-3 hours.  I've been trying it out, just prepare my meals in advance if I can.  It's tedious but i've noticed myself leaning out and gaining muscle mass.  Could be the placebo or the combo of the other supps i'm taking (green mag, fish oil, multi, maca).

It's always been hard for me to gain until I switched my routine up, basically overwork muscle groups now instead of one muscle a day.  chest, shoulders, tris in one workout.  Back and bi's in another and leg day.  2 days on, 1 day off. 

How do you guys feel about eating every 2-3 hours.  I've been trying it out, just prepare my meals in advance if I can.  It's tedious but i've noticed myself leaning out and gaining muscle mass.  Could be the placebo or the combo of the other supps i'm taking (green mag, fish oil, multi, maca).

Funny SN to post ratio, but personally am not a fan of the frequent eating especially if cutting. Intermittent Fasting has worked very well for me as someone who likes to eat only twice a day but huge meals.

Anybody incorporate Olympic lifts in their routine?

Food prep for the week. Took a little break from chicken.

A blue snapper fish stew

And a slow cooker beef stew. (Not a big fan of red meat, but my wife kept bugging me)

Ill do power cleans/hang power cleans but thats about it. Never got into the snatch variations. Im no longer doing any sort of overhead pressing.

5'9" I weight 145. People think I weigh a lot less from just looking at me. I wish I weighed myself before.
Anyway like I am saying I am getting stronger, mos def. But I am not getting bigger/better looking. Thats the whole reason I am doing this is to get better looking...

hmm. i'm ignorant on the subject, but does sickle cell anemia affect your normal muscle growth?

i can only suggest what anyone else will. i would take whatever you're eating now and multiply that by 2. you want to eat eat eat. i would carb up pre and post workout. also, look into a mass gainer. easy way to get in a lot more calories and protein. you want to be at a caloric surplus by at least 500 over your maintenance. you could afford to eat a lot more. don't be afraid of gaining fat because you're really lean and have a lot of room to grow.

5 x 5 is definitely going to get you a lot stronger. now that you have that added strength you can go back to isolating muscle groups. i've always personally liked to be in the 10-12 rep range even when i am going relatively heavy. it gives your muscles a chance to rip and repair themselves and grow.

also, i know you don't want to hear it but you're going to have to be patient. i know it can be frustrating but you'll eventually learn to what your body responds to and what you need to do to see results.

start talking to big dudes at the gym and gain all the insight you can. even when i got bigger than people i used to look up to, i STILL go up to them and ask them for advice. you can always learn.

i would also suggest creatine for you. it's gonna give you water retention, thus making you heavier, thus making you stronger thus thus thus. you see how it goes.

good luck bro!

iLLest!

Word, eat more and lift heavier. Filling out with muscle will give your face a more mature (not old) look as well. Take it seriously too.

Last edited:
Ill do power cleans/hang power cleans but thats about it. Never got into the snatch variations. Im no longer doing any sort of overhead pressing.

I'm going to start power cleans as well, looking to improve my explosiveness. why no overhead press?

I'm going to start power cleans as well, looking to improve my explosiveness. why no overhead press?

OHP can do a number on your shoulders if you don't do them correctly.

I'm always scared to push myself with heavier weights when doing OHPs

Mostly because of the sports I play. I have bursitis in my right rotator cuff and if I do too many overhead pressing movements it kills my shoulder and limits its mobility. Ive got to work on my shoulder girdle flexibility before I go back to overhead pressing.

In find myself altering my throwing motion during my softball, baseball, and dodgeball games to take pressue off of my rotator cuff. I need to get more mobility in the region.

Start off with hang power cleans before going to full cleans. That first pull in the standard version can be tricky and the hang version is an easier way to learn the technique.

OHP can do a number on your shoulders if you don't do them correctly.

I'm always scared to push myself with heavier weights when doing OHPs

No doubt. I realized that for what I use exercise for, overhead pressing movements werent needed. There was a point in time when I was strict overhead military pressing 160ish for reps of 6. I doubt I can do 115 now.

It's always been hard for me to gain until I switched my routine up, basically overwork muscle groups now instead of one muscle a day.  chest, shoulders, tris in one workout.  Back and bi's in another and leg day.  2 days on, 1 day off. 
Placebo effect more than likely. Meal time or frequency doesn't play a huge role in gaining mass, but you won't get hungry 
laugh.gif

T
True. but he injected roids into his blood. The cancer was in his colon where all the stuff we eat passes through fermented and toxic. That is why it is important to drink water and not go too long without taking a dump. You don't have to change your routine but just think about what you eat, drink and smoke....especially if you are doing it in large quantities in order to gain mass.
Yeah I'm gonna go off on a limb and say his cancer wasn't to his diet or consumption of supplements but who knows. I just know roids will do more harm then help when it comes down to it.
Getting into boxing tomorrow night. Probably go a couple times per week. Any tips on strength training and diet while boxing simultaneously?
Let me know what they start you out doing, I want to start boxing but need to find a gym for it first.

Last edited:
Anytime I see someone posting stuff about boxing or anything of that nature (MMA), it just serves as a reminder that I am slacking on starting up.  May just go back to the comfort zone with boxing as it gets warmer.

I would recommend focusing more on plyometrics and compound lifts a few times a week.  A bodybuilding type split would be a waste of time.
How is this taste wise?

I'm at the point where I don't want to touch many of the commercial protein powders anymore because the majority of them have a bunch of filler and pointless crap in there.  I've always been of the opinion that as long as you train consistently, discipline yourself, and eat right, that's all you really need to get results.  Beyond that, it's not even worth it.  I already use a few Garden of Life products so I may start taking their protein as well.  The fact that it's gluten free is another plus.  Other than ON's Natural Whey, none of these products on the market interest me.  Always nice to see someone posting something about healthy living beyond the aesthetics.
The OG one tastes like a vegetarians throw up but this one with cacao/chocolate tastes great. The Vanilla one is even better but it is hard to find and for some reason costs about $3 bucks more.

Remember this is a meal replacement...but they sell the protein powder also which is around $25. I take this meal replacement instead because it has a lot of vitamins and fiber. The Protein is just protein.

I agree. The fillers in some of the other proteins are terrible. This Raw meal and the protein powder has only ingredients I can pronounce lol
Figured as much regarding the unflavored.  Big reason I stay away from 90% of the stuff out there is because the products that are flavored usually contain a bunch of crap to give it that flavor.  With Garden of Life's stuff, I know I'm getting a good product.

The protein powder is the main one I'm after.  I may try the meal replacement eventually, but I want to stick with regular food.  Given the profile though, I'd buy it just to have it around.

Last edited:
You guys have me motivated...since i love deadlifts and squats....i will try to start power cleans.

But question from a complete novice. It is a combo lift working what...glutes, hamstrings, quads, lower back, traps, some shoulders? So should i space this out from my deadlift and legs day? or should i combine it with either?

Man I left some chicken breast marinating in buffalo marnate for 3 days.

I finally bake it last night.

**** was delicious.

I need some quick and easy breakfast tips though.

if you guys want something to throw in on chest/tricep days, this absolutely KILLS my muscles and helps my overall strength - I usually throw it once every other week...

the 100 workout...

Incline - 135lbs - 4 sets - 25 reps each (100 total) *if you can't get there, do another set(s) just get to 100 reps
Flat - 135lbs - 4 sets - 25 reps each *if you can't get there, do another set(s) just get to 100 reps

Tricep rope extensions - 4 sets - 25 reps each *keep the weight at a level that pushes you, but is doable
Tricep seated dips - 4 sets - 25 reps each

Cable flys - 4 sets - 25 reps each *keep the weight at a level that pushes you, but is doable
Overhead tricep ext - 4 sets - 25 reps each *keep the weight at a level that pushes you, but is doable

If you are still feeling strong, do 4sets of 25 push ups but usually you are complete jelly at this point.

8)

ps- the best pre beach workout - gives you the mother of all pumps

Did 10 pushups between each chest related exercise yesterday. I feel so good today.

Also just copped some 20lb dumbbells yesterday. Gonna look for some good bicep workouts I can do 3 days a week. My love for curls begin today.

Someone at the gym toldme it's best to do shrugs on days I work on my back. All these years it never registered that shoulders and traps were 2 totally different things.

You guys have me motivated...since i love deadlifts and squats....i will try to start power cleans.

But question from a complete novice. It is a combo lift working what...glutes, hamstrings, quads, lower back, traps, some shoulders? So should i space this out from my deadlift and legs day? or should i combine it with either?

Posterior chain mostly. (Glutes, Hams, Quads) The shoulder/trap part of it is a reflexive movement. You shouldnt be thinking about shrugging the bar. It just happens naturally.

Seriously though, start off with the hand version. The initial pull from the floor is where most problems originate, and if theres a problem with that part of the movement it cascades into the rest, screwing the whole exercise up.

Do you deadlift and squat on the same day? I typically have a day of plymoetric, explosive movements and do them on that day. You can do them before squats or before deadlifts, just dont do them after.

if you guys want something to throw in on chest/tricep days, this absolutely KILLS my muscles and helps my overall strength - I usually throw it once every other week...

the 100 workout...

Incline - 135lbs - 4 sets - 25 reps each (100 total) *if you can't get there, do another set(s) just get to 100 reps
Flat - 135lbs - 4 sets - 25 reps each *if you can't get there, do another set(s) just get to 100 reps

Tricep rope extensions - 4 sets - 25 reps each *keep the weight at a level that pushes you, but is doable
Tricep seated dips - 4 sets - 25 reps each

Cable flys - 4 sets - 25 reps each *keep the weight at a level that pushes you, but is doable
Overhead tricep ext - 4 sets - 25 reps each *keep the weight at a level that pushes you, but is doable

If you are still feeling strong, do 4sets of 25 push ups but usually you are complete jelly at this point.

8)

ps- the best pre beach workout - gives you the mother of all pumps

Gonna write this down when I get home.

We need a favorite button on this site, lol

i would also suggest creatine for you. it's gonna give you water retention, thus making you heavier, thus making you stronger thus thus thus. you see how it goes.

good luck bro!

iLLest!

This is not how creatine works at all

Back
Top Bottom