STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Not exactly sure why you're saying using bands don't work, but I've seen it done over and over again with success.
He didn't say they don't work, just that they didn't work for everyone.  

And the band system you described is well put together just seems like it'll take some time.  From my experience using the bands just take a greater amount of time to assist in increasing pull up strength with no band, even when progressively using less resistive bands every time. My experience only though and most bands of varying resistance i've ever worked with was 2.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure why you're saying using bands don't work, but I've seen it done over and over again with success.

I'm not saying that they never work, but they tend to produce pull ups with a lot of weaknesses. People who can't pull from dead hangs, other limited ROM, or poor form (scapular control, neck movement).

From my perspective, the pull up is not the end goal. It's a movement that leads to other more complex movement patterns: muscle ups, brachiation, one arm chin ups, front levers, climbing, etc. To progress to these more complex patterns, you need a solid foundation. Band assisted pull up work does not provide that necessary foundation in my experience.

Was Gona ask if you played with Paul soliai. Dudes a beast in the gym!
Coffeyville and garden city always has good programs..

All of the out of state players have rides to big D1, but get sent there for academic purposes.

a lineman while I was there went to alabama and got drafted first round.

I only stayed a year and left, just didn't have the love for it like I used to.

Became too business orientated, and honestly that year off made me realize what life without football was like lol

Lately ive been purposely losing size. Was 232lbs two weeks ago now down to 224lbs.
**** is depressing lol. I feel so much lighter and better though.

All of the out of state players have rides to big D1, but get sent there for academic purposes.

to.

Became too business orientated, and honestly that year off made me realize what life without football was like lol
I see u breh.... Played juco ball in SoCal (canyons) due to fn up hs and not graduating. Had a ride to ore state jr yr but never played sr yr due to grades and attendance.

Only lasted one yr at juco due to life and then randomly walked on a d2 school in tx 4 yrs later for the hell of it and lasted 4 months :lol:. Love FB but hate the politics.

that's wassup bwood... you should try out for the new Portland arena football team up here lol

former d1 hockey checking in.... prolly alone on that one (playing hockey that is)

Last edited:
Need help burning my belly fat
embarassed.gif

I see u breh.... Played juco ball in SoCal (canyons) due to fn up hs and not graduating. Had a ride to ore state jr yr but never played sr yr due to grades and attendance.

Only lasted one yr at juco due to life and then randomly walked on a d2 school in tx 4 yrs later for the hell of it and lasted 4 months
laugh.gif
. Love FB but hate the politics.
sick.gif

eek.gif

pimp.gif
 Bruh

that's wassup bwood... you should try out for the new Portland arena football team up here lol

former d1 hockey checking in.... prolly alone on that one (playing hockey that is)
nice! wish I would've continued playing in high school. would've transitioned to lacrosse pretty well. if you don't mind me asking, where'd you play? I just ask because one of my pastors had a few stints coaching d1 hockey in the south.

nice! wish I would've continued playing in high school. would've transitioned to lacrosse pretty well. if you don't mind me asking, where'd you play? I just ask because one of my pastors had a few stints coaching d1 hockey in the south.
Dallas Baptist

I'm not saying that they never work, but they tend to produce pull ups with a lot of weaknesses. People who can't pull from dead hangs, other limited ROM, or poor form (scapular control, neck movement).

From my perspective, the pull up is not the end goal. It's a movement that leads to other more complex movement patterns: muscle ups, brachiation, one arm chin ups, front levers, climbing, etc. To progress to these more complex patterns, you need a solid foundation. Band assisted pull up work does not provide that necessary foundation in my experience.

Well, it's not like I'm saying everyone can do a perfect pullup the first time they do it unassisted.

And I don't think it's necessarily an obstacle to more complicated movements like muscle ups either.

Let's take someone who needed months of band work to get to one unassisted pullup. Maybe he does it with ****** form. Maybe he'll need many more months after that to be doing pullups for reps with good form. Then after he succeeds with that, he'll start to work on being able to bang them out. Then after that, he can work towards a muslce up like anyone else who is working towards a muscle up.

When it's all said and done, it's not like I'm saying using bands is the only way to work towards a pullup. I'm sure you know lots of other methods. But I've seen this done a lot of times to where I can say I think it's a reliable method.

Last edited:
Smh just found out I'm 207lbs now, SMH, being 207 at 6'3 is not wavy at all, need to drop back down to my 190lbs range.

207 is the perfect weight for someone who's 6"3

Picture the man in my avy. He's 6"3 and 200

:lol: I don't play ball everyday to where my body fat and his would be the same tho, and truthfully if it wasn't for my father genes, being skinny and fast metabolism. The way I eat out or in general, I should be 250lb plus.

I need to fix my diet and get in control

Last edited:
Just for the record, that progression is exactly why the pull up is an obstacle to a muscle up.

So what exactly are you saying? Also no, to bands?

If you cant do/struggle with a pull up, then a muscle up is going to be basically impossible. (It can be done, but it wont be a movement you can make repetitive....meaning you may be able to get one muscle up, but it was sheer luck)

Yes, and no to bands. I agree with nealraj in the overall viewpoint of bands, but they can be effective if theyre used right. I would never stricly rely on them, but as an aid or learning tool its good.
Just reducing the amount of tension the band provides isnt enough for someone to learn a pull up. Its actually a pretty technical movement if done right, and using bands doesnt really allow the training of those finer points.

Sure, wanting to do a muscle up in a month is impossible if you're struggling to do a pullup right now.

Getting there is a long process. I never said 'oh once you get a pullup down you can do a muscle up in no time'

Also, I can't see how someone does a muscle up by 'sheer dumb luck.' Like how would that even happen? Can you show me a video :lol:

Last edited:
Im 5'8 230 

**** politics 

Damn bro, that's impressive. 6'4 240, and I need to get back down to 220 ( haven't been able to do much, barely any exercise), feels good tho. Does anyone here have any experience with coming off of injuries like this and what worked for you? Out her than joggog and weight I cant do Mich, looking for any ideas, thanks!

Last edited:
Damn bro, that's impressive. 6'4 240, and I need to get back down to 220 ( haven't been able to do much, barely any exercise), feels good tho. Does anyone here have any experience with coming off of injuries like this and what worked for you? Out her than joggog and weight I cant do Mich, looking for any ideas, thanks!
Ehhh most of the aesthetic boys in here would say otherwise but I have goals I want to reach so Ill do whatever it takes.

Weight moves weight. 

Back
Top Bottom