STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

What do you think is causing your back to feel tight in the first place? Is the intensity appropriate? How about the amount of volume in your program?

Also, I would heavily advise against stopping training the deadlift altogether. Pain isn’t a good indicator that something’s wrong. I’d try finding a work around like reducing the intensity (weight on the bar) or ROM. If that doesn’t work, find an exercise that’s similar enough and do that. Avoiding training due to pain is the last thing I would do. Pain is too complex and can often times mean almost nothing. Not training only causes you to detrain and also develop a fear/anxiety around that movement which can also contribute to pain.

I stopped doing conventional deadlifts with the bar. Now i do them in the hexagon bar. My form feels way better.
I only do sumo barbell deads now. If and when i dl. (Which may be like once every 6 -8 weeks )

Im not a power lifter. Not doing any competitions...
Not a cross fitter.
Not a organized sport athlete..
There's no real benefit for me to do DLs anymore.
After herniating a disk. Not throwing around weight like that anymore

At least these are actually paired up. At my gym you can't even find the damn dumbbells :lol:. They'll be over by the squat rack, the basketball court etc
That’s the best it’s been in a while EARLY n the morning. The real problem is that half of them “spin”. Like the weights spin on the handle. I hate that. But yeah, usually it’s usual chairs and the weights are just placed anywhere

I’ll usually do extensions as an alternative to deadlifting, it tightens up my lower back but not as bad as when I’m hitting deads. Maybe I should be doing something else as an alternative? Thanks for the advice.

maybe its your form? post a vid of you deadlifting. are you taking slack out of the bar?

I stopped doing conventional deadlifts with the bar. Now i do them in the hexagon bar. My form feels way better.
I only do sumo barbell deads now. If and when i dl. (Which may be like once every 6 -8 weeks )

Im not a power lifter. Not doing any competitions...
Not a cross fitter.
Not a organized sport athlete..
There's no real benefit for me to do DLs anymore.
After herniating a disk. Not throwing around weight like that anymore

I made the switch a few months ago too. I only use the hex bar. Sometimes elevated, because I'm 6'3" and long. I'll pull sumo with the barbell once in a while.

Biggest downside to the hex bar is you don't have the constant contact of the bar against your body that aids in stability. That's easy to overcome eventually though. Favorite thing about the hex bar is the neutral grip.

I see a lot of people overextend during DL a lot and cringe. I think folks think they're getting more contraction, but they're really just hanging out on their lumbar spine.

Finish should look like this

Deadlift2_Finish_1.jpg

Not this

lumbar-hyperextension.jpg

You probably got a still lower back from back extensions the day before.

I wouldn’t stop dl. Dial it back to once or twice a month. Squat hard and I promise you your dl will only go up.

Also check your form.

I don’t mind new year resolution gym goers, it’s the ones without gym etiquette that annoys me
You are going to find them any time at the gym though, New Years or 4th of July. They are always around messing it up for everyone else.

For the guy having tightness in his back double check your form, also hit up PT to make sure everything is bending at the right place and you aren't overcompensating somewhere along the lines.

What do you think is causing your back to feel tight in the first place? Is the intensity appropriate? How about the amount of volume in your program?

Also, I would heavily advise against stopping training the deadlift altogether. Pain isn’t a good indicator that something’s wrong. I’d try finding a work around like reducing the intensity (weight on the bar) or ROM. If that doesn’t work, find an exercise that’s similar enough and do that. Avoiding training due to pain is the last thing I would do. Pain is too complex and can often times mean almost nothing. Not training only causes you to detrain and also develop a fear/anxiety around that movement which can also contribute to pain.

I’d also like to add to this while it’s on my mind as it’s something I’ve been learning about a ton.

Pain is an OUTPUT of the brain, not an input. It’s essentially a threat detection system with the primary goal to attention to an area to ensure our protection. When you touch a hot stove and you feel that pain, it’s not the hot stove telling your brain to feel pain but rather the opposite; it’s your brain detecting what it sees as a harmful stress and so it outputs “pain” as a signal to get the hell away from the stove. As anyone who’s touched a hot stove/iron as a kid will tell you, they learned their lesson not to touch hot stoves but also if they imagine touching a hot stove or iron they can vividly imagine the pain even decades later.

However when it comes to productive stress like that we get from training, we don’t want to avoid that. That stress is forcing adaptations that will increase strength, hypertrophy, cardiorespirstory fitness, etc. When training stress increases (as it SHOULD when you become more trained because you’ll need more stress, not less, to see more adaptations) sometimes the brain can interpret that stress as harmful and try to ward us away from it with pain. Pain that often dissipates within hours days.

If you’re experiencing pain during training I wouldn’t recommend making any changes to your program UNLESS it’s preventing you from completing your exercises as planned. I.E. Deadlifting 135 off the floor is unbearable and you can’t train through. At which point I would make modifications. But again, I wouldn’t stop training from pain.

Over the last two months of training I’ve delt with discomfort in my bicep during bench press, discomfort in my elbow during bench press, and even some low back pain after deadlifts one night. I trained through it. The bicep discomfort disappeared within a few weeks. Same with the elbow. The back pain was gone within two days. Never seen since. All these things were likely a result of an increase in training stress that have had me see the greatest increases in strength that I’ve seen in two years...two years I was concerned with things like corrective exercises, imbalances, foam rolling, and other things that don’t work or don’t matter and I was still having aches and minor injuries.

Had to get that out. Can only take in so much info without sharing with someone. I hope it helps and can provide references if needed/wanted.

Thank you everyone for your input. I’m a long time lurker on this thread but I’m glad I asked for feedback. I appreciate the help, will post a deadlift video on here soon.

I don’t feel the tightness when I pull sumo, I’ll alternate between those and conventional.

Anyone know of remedies for a tightness to lower back during deadlifts? It’s sometimes enough to make me stop during my workout. I have really sore hams the day after back extensions, I’m assuming it’s because of my hams that my back tightens up on me. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Make sure you're bracing/breathing correctly. Keep your abs tight and make sure your spine remains neutral. Also, treat the DL as a push movement. Push through the floor with your feet to as opposed to pulling with your back and then extending too much at the top. Athlean-X has a decent tutorial.

This is how I’ve recalibrated my approach. Simple, works for anyone’s anatomy, and guaranteed to set you up in perfect position.

AX’s video leaves a bit to be desired to me. He’s also behind the bar instead of on top of it. His cues are a vague as well.

Edit: He’s got shorter legs so maybe that’s why it looks funny to me and I’m just not used to seeing it.

Last edited:
Thinking of picking up a couple more ON whey since they are on sale, any good flavors? Havent tried others besides chocolate and strawberry

Yeah which ON is the best beside mocha cappuccino?

Strawberry tastes just like strawberry milk when you mix it with milk. Double rich chocolate is mocha cap without the coffee so y’all might like that the most. Extreme milk chocolate I just had for the first time - not bad. Sweeter than double rich.

You wasnt sayin this when mboiz kept complainin tho

Just sayin

What when I was talking about dude foam rolling for an hour? Hardly complaining more like an observation but dont give no ****s what any of y'all say in here. I can tell some of y'all would never make it in an environment where people talk **** and bust each others balls on the regular.

Welcome to 2019, aint nothing changed :pimp:

Speaking of which, whats y'alls goals?

Currently sitting at 225 tryin to get to 200 in the next 2-3 months then go after a double bodyweight bench.

Last edited:
So he's a creep for watching someone be obnoxious, but what does that make you for staring at girls asses when they're trying to workout?

Come on man. Everybody people watches. Don't pick and choose when you want to get on your high horse about it.

This. This is a forum where literally people have an opinion about everything and talk **** about anything.

If I see something funny in the gym and post it on here then so be it, its not like we are taking pictures of the people and posting them.

What when I was talking about dude foam rolling for an hour? Hardly complaining more like an observation but dont give no ****s what any of y'all say in here. I can tell some of y'all would never make it in an environment where people talk **** and bust each others balls on the regular.

Welcome to 2019, aint nothing changed :pimp:

Speaking of which, whats y'alls goals?

Currently sitting at 225 tryin to get to 200 in the next 2-3 months then go after a double bodyweight bench.

I have many goals this year, but the biggest one is just to complete my first meet.

Back
Top Bottom