STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

serious question: are the bros doing glute specific training? doing barbell hip thrust are super awkward to setup but i messed around on the back hyperextension/ghd bench last week and accidentally was feeling my left glute going crazy because i couldn’t really use my right hamstring because it was sore…made me realize i was lacking much attention to them 😂
serious answer.

Attachments

• aceventura-thrust.gif
    aceventura-thrust.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 150
what’s your goal? you don’t NEED to follow a program to get started tho, in some ways it might actually be better easing into the habit with an exercise you enjoy & not having to hold yourself to particular reps & sets to begin with.

i get that the way we live now in the states at least, with cheap calories in abundance, sedentary jobs & lifestyles, habits that impacts our sleep quality/ability to recover/repair kinda requires, if trying to be fit anyways, consistent exercise but ‘exercising’ & ‘working out’ is such an unnatural concept such that it is difficult to be consistent with it, there isn’t a natural adaptation behaviorally for exercise, which is why most eventually fall off…i think the way i see a lot of people stay consistent is they don’t even see exercise as ‘exercise’ rather it’s more like a practice for them, something they come to take pride in

to the extent any of our ancestors were fit it was because their lifestyles required it, there wasn’t much optionality 😂, so my thinking is (not that anyone is asking 🤣) making ‘exercise’ a type non-negotiable requirement is probably the way to go (a discipline most of us obviously don’t have, so reverse engineering it to having a lifestyle that requires one to be in good shape helps), a step below that is making activity enjoyable, below that is goal setting.
gucci3.png

Fat apologist babble. Negged.
unimpressed.png

All that "our ancestors didn't exercise" schtick is for the birds. Our ancestors also didn't use to bathe regularly or wash their hands with soap and water but I hope you ain't walking 'round fawnky or walking out the bathroom without your glizzyskinners touching water just cause they didn't.
usure.png

You don't need a program but using one, especially as a newb/person getting back into it, helps to ensure compliance to some sort of structure, progression, and volume/intensity baselines.

that’s the difference between exercise and training. if he just wants to exercise he doesn’t need a program or game plan. but if he has a goal in mind and wants to achieve it as quick as possible he’s gotta get a program. doesn’t even matter much what it is, just something where he can measure progress and make adjustments. a full body 3x a week program is great to start out. hit the weights hard 3 days and have plenty of time to recover

a kid born in 2006 squatted more weight than I have ever touched.

kids these days are a different breed. time for the older folks to move out.

This is what is going to make the future cool.

Every generation benefits from the previous.

I believe a kid born in 2006... can teach YOU to squat more weight than you have ever touched in the future... after he tells you... how he was bred.

Cancel Culture removes the bad... keeps the good... and may or may not add something... resulting in something new.

Even though you are older, you are not done. Your old way may have maxed out what you thought was your potential... but new information from a kid born in 2006... could help you max out your potential... even while older... in the future.

I always use cars to describe this analogy.

If I put 2023 technology and keep 2023 gas in my vehicle... would the year the of the body of the car matter? No matter what... properly maintained... after being fixed... why can it not perform like it is new... now?

Same applies to the human body.

If I complete a 2023 workout routine... created by a kid born in 2006... and keep what I have learned to be healthy fresh foods in my body from 2023 on... why wouldn't my body... after putting in work... being fixed... and properly maintained... perform like it is new now, too?

I believe a kid born in 2006... can teach YOU to squat more weight than you have ever touched in the future... after he tells you... how he was bred.

IMG_4276.jpeg

this kid ain’t some nobody.

He’s coached by a world class powerlifting coach and is also 2 weight classes above me :lol: I’ve also been coached by a world class coach so there’s nothing he knows that I don’t.

The new generation are a different breed BUT don’t forget…. I GOT THAT DAWG IN ME AND I AINT DONE YET.

IMG_4277.jpeg

(X-Ray scan of me)

Last edited:
my point is more that there really isn’t necessarily an intrinsic reason to workout, of course we do plenty of things today we weren’t evolved for/our ancestors didn’t do, and this will very likely continue to be the case in the future…just pointing out that if ‘exercise’ isn’t required for someone’s lifestyle, and it certainly isn’t for most, they aren’t likely to do it if it isn’t necessary, not enjoyable, and/or don’t have a reason to. so to me it makes sense to get started easing into getting back to activity rather than needing to start some regimented program

folks that can david goggins their way through training are in the vast minority, better to create/find ways to actually enjoy working out. sure running a program gives people a framework for how to progress, but it isn’t necessary and the reality is that kinda begrudgingly (even if invested in a goal outcome) doing some exercises a few times a week for a few hours probably doesn’t/won’t make up for the majority of time we spend sitting around and/or eating easy calories…

exercise, training, working out, however you want to classify the proposition of physical exertion, it isn’t all that appealing to people even with them knowing that it confers many benefits, not the least of which is actually feeling good after having done so…indeed most people will avoid it if they can because they can 😂 and that is something we were evolved to do 🤣🤣🤣

First question I only train glutes.

Second follow a program if you’re new to lifting. You gotta be forced to put up that weight or you’re gonna ***** out. It takes a while to truly learn what you got in the tank.

Use strong lifts and get some gains, that will be a game changer for a new lifter.

I don’t follow a program now but I’m not training for anything, my benchmark is if I can’t rep out 3 plates back squat or 4 plates for one I’m slacking. :lol:

He’s coached by a world class powerlifting coach and is also 2 weight classes above me :lol: I’ve also been coached by a world class coach so there’s nothing he knows that I don’t

You might be surprised. One change in your workout or diet could open new realms of possibilities and provide new results that you may not imagine. I guess I am saying... don't close yourself off to opportunities to potentially getting different information... implementing it... and getting better.

The new generation are a different breed BUT don’t forget…. I GOT THAT DAWG IN ME AND I AINT DONE YET.

BARS.

I love NT.

Even though she cheats on me sometimes... I always run back to her.

Thank for for making my day.

First question I only train glutes.

Second follow a program if you’re new to lifting. You gotta be forced to put up that weight or you’re gonna ***** out. It takes a while to truly learn what you got in the tank.

Use strong lifts and get some gains, that will be a game changer for a new lifter.

I don’t follow a program now but I’m not training for anything, my benchmark is if I can’t rep out 3 plates back squat or 4 plates for one I’m slacking. :lol:

😂 only glutes?

i don’t disagree about programs being useful, just saying not necessary and there are people who get fairly shredded doing just bodyweight/calisthenics…plus the homie said he trying to get the inspiration/motivation to get back to it & already has access to weights…a program could solve that but so could other activities which might inform what program(s) make sense for those activities

what’s your goal? you don’t NEED to follow a program to get started tho, in some ways it might actually be better easing into the habit with an exercise you enjoy & not having to hold yourself to particular reps & sets to begin with.

i get that the way we live now in the states at least, with cheap calories in abundance, sedentary jobs & lifestyles, habits that impacts our sleep quality/ability to recover/repair kinda requires, if trying to be fit anyways, consistent exercise but ‘exercising’ & ‘working out’ is such an unnatural concept such that it is difficult to be consistent with it, there isn’t a natural adaptation behaviorally for exercise, which is why most eventually fall off…i think the way i see a lot of people stay consistent is they don’t even see exercise as ‘exercise’ rather it’s more like a practice for them, something they come to take pride in

to the extent any of our ancestors were fit it was because their lifestyles required it, there wasn’t much optionality 😂, so my thinking is (not that anyone is asking 🤣) making ‘exercise’ a type non-negotiable requirement is probably the way to go (a discipline most of us obviously don’t have, so reverse engineering it to having a lifestyle that requires one to be in good shape helps), a step below that is making activity enjoyable, below that is goal setting.

choosing/finding a good program to help you along & probably will give a clear/easier focus but don’t let it be a reason to hold you up from starting

Thank you! This is really insightful! You are right, it may be easier to do something I really want to do or enjoy (riding a bike, playing basketball, etc).

My goal is to increase my overall fitness ---> improve basketball skills --> pick up ready basketball/good fitness (tired of not getting invites to my friends rec league, smh). I know somewhere in there I'll need to hit the weights to get stronger for basketball. Also, winter makes it hard to get outside.

This is a good starting point. Consistent bike rides or playing basketball and go from there!

Thanks!

Thank you! This is really insightful! You are right, it may be easier to do something I really want to do or enjoy (riding a bike, playing basketball, etc).

My goal is to increase my overall fitness ---> improve basketball skills --> pick up ready basketball/good fitness (tired of not getting invites to my friends rec league, smh). I know somewhere in there I'll need to hit the weights to get stronger for basketball. Also, winter makes it hard to get outside.

This is a good starting point. Consistent bike rides or playing basketball and go from there!

Thanks!

no worries, it’s not all about the weights (altho strength training does have a lot of benefit!) however you decide to go with it the easing/gradually getting back to is going to be the thing that helps you be consistent, especially if you are going to be hooping, if you have had some time off

if you aren’t already check out pjfperformance on ig he posts a bunch basketball related movements & workouts and has programs too if you decide you want something hoop related

Last edited:
5x5 strong lifts is a good start. Quality and consistency are the keys

Say it again for the slow mfers in the back.

do-you-know-what-i-am-saying-butters-stotch.gif

The reason folks fall off so quickly is because they cant make fitness a habit (i.e. they aren’t consistent), we see it every January.

Waking up at 5AM to go workout sounds good on December 31st, but when these folks get that fatboy wake up call two weeks later, they drop like flies.

Once working out becomes as automatic as breathing, it’s literally nothing to go to the gym, even when you’re dragging *** that day.

IMG_4276.jpeg

He’s coached by a world class powerlifting coach and is also 2 weight classes above me :lol: I’ve also been coached by a world class coach so there’s nothing he knows that I don’t.

IMG_4277.jpeg

(X-Ray scan of me)

Yeah, Armed Forces recruiters can’t find enough physically qualified warm bodies to fill their quotas these days so Imma call ducktales on these kids being Gundam Newtypes.
francis.png

Most of their parents weren’t athletic and childhood obesity is at an all time high, so these kids are either bigger than previous generations or we’re simply being more exposed to the cream of the crop then in the past.

I don’t think these kids are built different, I just think they have a wealth of training, supplementation, and nutritional information readily available 24/7 at their fingertips.
yeshrug.png

That, and SM makes it easier to hear/see the freaks you would’ve previously had to read about in a magazine, know in person, or hear about from a friend.

YMMV.
hubie.png

Say it again for the slow mfers in the back.

do-you-know-what-i-am-saying-butters-stotch.gif

The reason folks fall off so quickly is because they cant make fitness a habit (i.e. they aren’t consistent), we see it every January.

Waking up at 5AM to go workout sounds good on December 31st, but when these folks get that fatboy wake up call two weeks later, they drop like flies.

Once working out becomes as automatic as breathing, it’s literally nothing to go to the gym, even when you’re dragging *** that day.
it's true that making a habit out of it is the key. but I guess motivation can be the tricky part of it. most people's idea of an exercise/training is more of an optional task rather than a necessary/mandatory task.

Back
Top Bottom