Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Pana thats branch warren

im sure you know who that is

Branch's legs are just unreal. Between him and Kai Greene, I feel like I'm walking on toothpicks. I gotta find that vid of Tom Platz squatting like500lbs for over 20 reps....

those quads are disgusting
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Sorry for the delayed reply, Mangudai. I had left for the gym after my last reply.

losing fat = changing your diet
I agree. Diet plays the biggest role. IMO it's 80% your diet, 20% dedication to stick to working out regularly.

For example, I run for 30 mins, and I'm usually the fastest runner in the gym...according to the machine (yes I know it's not very accurate), I burnoff about 500 cals. That's pretty good and all for a 30 min cardio, but if I were to go to lunch at Cheesecake Factory or Macaroni Grill or whatever, Ican easily consume a normal looking lunch with 1500+ cals...which kinda made my cardio workout worthless.

You need to burn off 3500 cals to get rid of 1 lb of fat. If you work on your diet and refine it, in addition to cardio work out on a regular diet, you canrealistically aim for 1 lb a week if you're dedicated.

If you wish to take Whey Protein, I'd suggest taking something on the lighter side...around 100 cals per serving, low on cholesterol obviously. You stillwant to take in a good amount of protein when you're cutting down on your diet so that you don't lose the muscles you currently have.

I've also heard and read that you cannot build new muscle when you're trying to lose weight. Looking at it from the other side..there is also noreason to lose the muscle you already have.

Here's a good article regarding whey protein since a lot of people seem to think it's some steroid like substance.
laugh.gif

http://www.formerfatguy.com/articles/whey.asp

Edit: I don't consider myself a body builder, I just want to be lean. I doubt if anything I'm doing will even get me that brolic. I just want thatFight Club/Never Back Down body.
laugh.gif

If you wanna look like Brock Lesnar, the other folks need to chime in.

Originally Posted by picknroll24

Since some have mentioned nutrition in here... Have any of you tried the keto diet?
I personally don't do diets because they simply don't last. I changed my eating habit.

Since some have mentioned nutrition in here... Have any of you tried the keto diet?
I wanted to start on it because its very similar to the diet I'm on now (carb up days
eek.gif
)
But it just seems to confusing to me, they got excel spreadsheets to help you calculate how much you should be in taking each day.....just too much IMO

Diets are OVERRATED and worthless in the long. Best thing to do is adapt your eating habits to eating healthy foods.

I got back into working out cause i gained about 50lbs in college...too much
pimp.gif
,beer, and eating...
laugh.gif

ive been working out hard for the last year and have dropped 40+ lbs and gained a lot of muscle. at first i wanted to just bulk up and become bolo chueng...butnow i want to slim down and get cut, word to bruce lee.
it was def hard to stick to the plan for the first couple weeks, but now it's all gravy.
too keep from getting bored, i like to switch up exercises ever couple weeks (keeping core workouts that can't be replaced. ie: bench, squat, dl). thisalso helps cause your muscles are constantly having to work differently and not doing the same repetitive thing over and over.

Currently im trying out the following workout and have dropped a couple of pounds, but have notice my body getting more cut.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/krisgethin44.htm

as for nutrition, this is probably the hardest thing to do. especially cause i love to cook. diets are BS, i think the best thing to do is do everything inmoderation (this is hard because if you go out to eat everything is served in huge portions) and stay away from fatty foods and those with a lot of sugar.

bodybuilding.com is a great site to get guidelines on where you want to go.

yeah i want to try this when i cut, some people swear by this.

apparently really good for you too, seems tough to stick to though

Just wanted to say, wj4 and al audi, you guys got me wanting to go back to the gym and get back in shape.
Hurt my back a couple of months ago, hasnt been healthy since. Going to get treatment done tmr. thx.

A lot of you guys mentioned a lot of great points, i read every page from top to bottom. Good to see some people making lifestyle changes with eating habitsand exercise. Honestly, exercise isnt only for your ideal look or whatever, its for your health in the long run (helps you sleep better, more energy, strongerbones, etc, etc). Keep it up guys.

pimp.gif
for this post.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

yeah i want to try this when i cut, some people swear by this.

apparently really good for you too, seems tough to stick to though

I've heard both good and bad reviews about it, and I personally wouldn't try it. It seems like it deprives your body too much.
A couple months ago, I was looking into the keto diet and I stumbled upon The Warrior Diet, which I liked more. I've been doing it for a while now and Ifeel great.

Let's just stop this non-sense

DeadLifts are primarily a GLUTEHAM exercise (secondarily inner thigh).....meaning, when donecorrectly, they work your hamstrings and your glutes.....you should NOT be feeling anything in your back, and if you are...then you are doing it WRONG or theweight is too high and you are overcompensating for that weight....as I was doing in that video...

Originally Posted by lauk4kicks

Just wanted to say, wj4 and al audi, you guys got me wanting to go back to the gym and get back in shape.
Hurt my back a couple of months ago, hasnt been healthy since. Going to get treatment done tmr. thx.

A lot of you guys mentioned a lot of great points, i read every page from top to bottom. Good to see some people making lifestyle changes with eating habits and exercise. Honestly, exercise isnt only for your ideal look or whatever, its for your health in the long run (helps you sleep better, more energy, stronger bones, etc, etc). Keep it up guys.

pimp.gif
for this post.
Do it, man. I caught the 'wave' the first time around during my freshman year in college. You know the trend, after you turn 18..you andyour boys joined the gym.
laugh.gif
At that time I was seeing a girl who was health conscious about what to eat as well. That in turned had an effect on myself. I had always been around 200 lbs through out my later years in HS, and after my soph. year in college I got down to about 180, I just did the gym 3 times aweek back then and ate whatever she told me to. Things got soured at that point and we parted ways. I slowly gained the weight back. I just didn't caredanymore, I was out shooting pool, eating Denny's at 2AM, eating pizzas, etc. On the inside I felt bad, but I just didn't care.

Fast forward to last summer, I was the biggest I've been in my whole life..at around 210 lbs. It was time for a change.

I'm waiting for Aug. 24th to hit so I can take another picture to mark 1 year.

This was the biggest I've been..210 lbs at 30% body fat last summer, Aug 24th, 2008. I didn't care at this point..ate whatever, drink whatever. Iknow my result isn't as drastic as some of the members on BB, but here it is.
zkopw2.jpg

This was 6 months later, Feb 24th of 2009.
118qb95.jpg

Another edit: I had only been lifting weight for ~1 month when I took the 2nd picture. The first ~5 months was all Muay Thai training (which essentially isstrength training) and changing my eating habit. I didn't really do any research on it at that point because honestly I had no idea it would snowballed tothis caliber. I just wanted to lose a couple of pounds, and didn't actually dream of going from size xl/36 to s/30.

^
eek.gif

IF wj4 didnt just motivate you then you are a lost cause. thats amazing man. thanks for sharing. getting me pumped about working out even more man.
Thanks to everyone who has shared info in this post, you guys are really helpful. keep it up

DeadLifts are primarily a GLUTEHAM exercise (secondarily inner thigh).....meaning, when done correctly, they work your hamstrings and your glutes.....you should NOT be feeling anything in your back, and if you are...then you are doing it WRONG or the weight is too high and you are overcompensating for that weight....as I was doing in that video...
When done as a Romanian or Stiff-Leg Deadlift, yes, they are a glute/ham exercise. When done the way I described earlier, they are a backexercise. I stand by what I said. You're not doing them wrong if you're targeting your back, and I don't mean your lower back by arching it downand bending over too far I mean it works your whole back. I do all this for a living, I know I'm not wrong on this one.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by lauk4kicks

A lot of you guys mentioned a lot of great points, i read every page from top to bottom. Good to see some people making lifestyle changes with eating habits and exercise. Honestly, exercise isnt only for your ideal look or whatever, its for your health in the long run (helps you sleep better, more energy, stronger bones, etc, etc). Keep it up guys.

pimp.gif
for this post.
Do it, man. I caught the 'wave' the first time around during my freshman year in college. You know the trend, after you turn 18..you and your boys joined the gym.
laugh.gif
At that time I was seeing a girl who was health conscious about what to eat as well. That in turned had an effect on myself. I had always been around 200 lbs through out my later years in HS, and after my soph. year in college I got down to about 180, I just did the gym 3 times a week back then and ate whatever she told me to. Things got soured at that point and we parted ways. I slowly gained the weight back. I just didn't cared anymore, I was out shooting pool, eating Denny's at 2AM, eating pizzas, etc. On the inside I felt bad, but I just didn't care.

Fast forward to last summer, I was the biggest I've been in my whole life..at around 210 lbs. It was time for a change.

I'm waiting for Aug. 24th to hit so I can take another picture to mark 1 year.

This was the biggest I've been..210 lbs at 30% body fat last summer, Aug 24th, 2008. I didn't care at this point..ate whatever, drink whatever. I know my result isn't as drastic as some of the members on BB, but here it is.
zkopw2.jpg

This was 6 months later, Feb 24th of 2009.
118qb95.jpg

Another edit: I had only been lifting weight for ~1 month when I took the 2nd picture. The first ~5 months was all Muay Thai training (which essentially is strength training) and changing my eating habit. I didn't really do any research on it at that point because honestly I had no idea it would snowballed to this caliber. I just wanted to lose a couple of pounds, and didn't actually dream of going from size xl/36 to s/30.

good to know it's working out for some people...

I'm in the process of picking up a bit more muscle and shedding fat. The problem is that I have a small gut around my stomach cause genetically it'swhere my body stores it's fat. it's been a real mission trying to get rid of it, but I'm putting in work.

By this december I want to be in the right shape.

Been working at it since this past January...

What did you do to lose your gut? was it mainly the Muay Thai?

Let's just stop this non-sense

DeadLifts are primarily a GLUTEHAM exercise (secondarily inner thigh).....meaning, when done correctly, they work your hamstrings and your glutes.....you should NOT be feeling anything in your back, and if you are...then you are doing it WRONG or the weight is too high and you are overcompensating for that weight....as I was doing in that video...
Stiff Leg Deadlifts are for your hamstrings. Regular Deadlifts are a back exercise and probably thebest exercise overall for adding mass to your back.

good to know it's working out for some people...

I'm in the process of picking up a bit more muscle and shedding fat. The problem is that I have a small gut around my stomach cause genetically it's where my body stores it's fat. it's been a real mission trying to get rid of it, but I'm putting in work.

By this december I want to be in the right shape.

Been working at it since this past January...

What did you do to lose your gut? was it mainly the Muay Thai?
Past Jan.? As in 2008?

It's not just you. Having abs definition is the holy grail of all those who exercise.

I still have a bit of baby fat there. As I stated way back in the thread, I'm aiming for a 6pack in summer of 2010, I only have 2 right now.
laugh.gif

Diet is probably the key.

I can't tell you exactly what did it because I honestly don't know. Muay Thai probably did a good share since there's a lot of long knee's andkicks that involve flexing the core. I also do various other abs exercises ie incline sit ups, L lifts, lunges, turtle walking/crawling.

Back
Top Bottom