Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

I need to hit the gym. I'm finally startin to put on weight now I need the muscle. I hoop and play on my church's softball team so I'm good in thesports department, just need to build strength but I don't have the time w/ watchin my daughter and lookin for work
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by TD The God

That's some heavy weight man...I can't, I refuse to even attempt anything like that....what's your height / weight?

I lift to look sexy, if I ever get to play football again....I'll be back at the heavier stuff
QFT

I keep everything low for my back exercises.

I've never even tried Romanian DLs or Good Mornings.

I'm kooooo.

And what's wrong with lifting to look sexy and doin' deadlifts? It's a good look when your back looks like the Grand Canyon.
58825c1ea270a803fe45008c7838ab3e1e27f17.jpg

^Ohhh! youre lurking? lol Now I get the L2L. Man, I feel slow now...

wj4, i am impressed man, you put some work in for sure in the past yr.

PREZ T, dammmn man nh. but that is exactly the situation I am in now, skin and bones (pretty much). Did you go up in shirt sizes? lol honestly, this is gonnasound stupid but i kinda dont want to gain too much mass, otherwise i have to buy an entire new closet haha.

thanks for the inspiration. Now to transfer this to my goals /"career"

im going to start by going to sleep and on the weekend putting a workout plan together.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by lauk4kicks

Just wanted to say, wj4 and al audi, you guys got me wanting to go back to the gym and get back in shape.
Hurt my back a couple of months ago, hasnt been healthy since. Going to get treatment done tmr. thx.

A lot of you guys mentioned a lot of great points, i read every page from top to bottom. Good to see some people making lifestyle changes with eating habits and exercise. Honestly, exercise isnt only for your ideal look or whatever, its for your health in the long run (helps you sleep better, more energy, stronger bones, etc, etc). Keep it up guys.

pimp.gif
for this post.
Do it, man. I caught the 'wave' the first time around during my freshman year in college. You know the trend, after you turn 18..you and your boys joined the gym.
laugh.gif
At that time I was seeing a girl who was health conscious about what to eat as well. That in turned had an effect on myself. I had always been around 200 lbs through out my later years in HS, and after my soph. year in college I got down to about 180, I just did the gym 3 times a week back then and ate whatever she told me to. Things got soured at that point and we parted ways. I slowly gained the weight back. I just didn't cared anymore, I was out shooting pool, eating Denny's at 2AM, eating pizzas, etc. On the inside I felt bad, but I just didn't care.

Fast forward to last summer, I was the biggest I've been in my whole life..at around 210 lbs. It was time for a change.

I'm waiting for Aug. 24th to hit so I can take another picture to mark 1 year.

This was the biggest I've been..210 lbs at 30% body fat last summer, Aug 24th, 2008. I didn't care at this point..ate whatever, drink whatever. I know my result isn't as drastic as some of the members on BB, but here it is.
zkopw2.jpg

This was 6 months later, Feb 24th of 2009.
118qb95.jpg

Another edit: I had only been lifting weight for ~1 month when I took the 2nd picture. The first ~5 months was all Muay Thai training (which essentially is strength training) and changing my eating habit. I didn't really do any research on it at that point because honestly I had no idea it would snowballed to this caliber. I just wanted to lose a couple of pounds, and didn't actually dream of going from size xl/36 to s/30.
dont play yourself that is still a drastic change my man

keep doin what youre doing, i know youre gonna rip up with lean muscle soon if you keep up youre discipline, dedication and determination

to see the change in the mirror is awesome, addicting and rewarding.

btw im sorry i just cannot take TD The God aka Pookie serious
laugh.gif

PREZ T, dammmn man nh. but that is exactly the situation I am in now, skin and bones (pretty much). Did you go up in shirt sizes? lol honestly, this is gonna sound stupid but i kinda dont want to gain too much mass, otherwise i have to buy an entire new closet haha.
laugh.gif
to be honest , i did change shirt sizes . the thing is that gaining size and getting bigger takes a prettylong time ... if you stay on your grind and get in the gym consistently , but the time you have to buy bigger clothes you prob would have been buyingnew
69d35c6be00e5fc4932f9fefb06bc341133e760.gif
anyway . unless u rock ur entire wardrobe for like 2+ years without change

this thread = motivation

especially some of the pics no *+$%

im gonna pump my bicycle tires this weekend. damn thing been out of commission since last fall
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Prez T

PREZ T, dammmn man nh. but that is exactly the situation I am in now, skin and bones (pretty much). Did you go up in shirt sizes? lol honestly, this is gonna sound stupid but i kinda dont want to gain too much mass, otherwise i have to buy an entire new closet haha.
laugh.gif
to be honest , i did change shirt sizes . the thing is that gaining size and getting bigger takes a pretty long time ... if you stay on your grind and get in the gym consistently , but the time you have to buy bigger clothes you prob would have been buying new

Really? What are you now, a medium? I honestly thought you would've just stayed in the same size, just a bit more of a fitted look now.

laugh.gif
Lurk...word, man. I'm waiting for that 11:30PM to hit so I can go to bed and hit the gym in the morning. It's the best feeling when you walkout of the gym knowing that you did work and didn't give up even when you were tired. I'm anxious to try out the new whey protein too, suppose to behere tomorrow.

laugh.gif
to be honest , i did change shirt sizes . the thing is that gaining size and getting bigger takes a pretty long time ... if you stay on your grind and get in the gym consistently , but the time you have to buy bigger clothes you prob would have been buying new

body-type-chart-ectomorph.gif

you damn ectomorphs can rip up so fast i hated you kids growin up
laugh.gif

not anymore though.....i get big fast/quick gainer..........when the diet slips though
embarassed.gif

so yea no pics right now folks, old pics would just be cheating (im self conscious)

an yea i dont do any special diets etc....never been into that.....i just know i gotta eat clean and every 2-3 hrs works for me. im always hungry

edit: daytona you been at it for a while now, you stll at la fitness? you been packin on those calories?? DIET man

you know thats 80% of this game right there.

i just know i gotta eat clean and every 2-3 hrs works for me. im always hungry
Same. I can usually tell what time it is too by my hunger.
laugh.gif

Let's just stop this non-sense

DeadLifts are primarily a GLUTEHAM exercise (secondarily inner thigh).....meaning, when done correctly, they work your hamstrings and your glutes.....you should NOT be feeling anything in your back, and if you are...then you are doing it WRONG or the weight is too high and you are overcompensating for that weight....as I was doing in that video...
You should feel it in your back. That's actually the targeted muscle, the erector spinae.

you know what guys? I'M MOTIVIZED. you guys just went Leroy Smith on me.

to be completely honest, I've started workin out over the past 2 weeks cuz I met a fly young woman. that was enough to get me started.

I can't afford a gym membership... but i looked up some at home stuff (alligator walks, turtle walks, lunges, etc.)

and I've felt GREAT over these few weeks & i know i can keep it goin. i gotta look into protein stuff...

thanks guys.

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif
Really? What are you now, a medium? I honestly thought you would've just stayed in the same size, just a bit more of a fitted look now.

laugh.gif
Lurk...word, man. I'm waiting for that 11:30PM to hit so I can go to bed and hit the gym in the morning. It's the best feeling when you walk out of the gym knowing that you did work and didn't give up even when you were tired. I'm anxious to try out the new whey protein too, suppose to be here tomorrow.

nah im a large . used to be a medium back in those days (the shirt in the original pic was a large and superbaggy on me) freshman yr in college (almost 3 yrs ago) i remember buying a tee from abercrombie and being a sz. L (their sizing is a complete joke) a few daysago i bought a vneck from them and fit a sz XXL there now
eek.gif
eek.gif

this is me in a reg L taken around march :

2j2uauh.jpg

go with a friend that'll seriously push you. the motivation is imagining how much results you will gain in the future. once you gain some results, youwouldn't want to lose it

I just started getting back into working seriously this year. I need to be more consistent with lifting weights though. I just joined a boxing gym and havebeen doing Jiu Jitsu since November. Really into MMA/UFC. I started 260 now I'm around 240. The hardest part is going but once you get the ball rollingit's hard to stop don't get derailed and just stay on a routine.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

laugh.gif
body-type-chart-ectomorph.gif

you damn ectomorphs can rip up so fast i hated you kids growin up
laugh.gif

not anymore though.....i get big fast/quick gainer..........when the diet slips though
embarassed.gif

so yea no pics right now folks, old pics would just be cheating (im self conscious)

an yea i dont do any special diets etc....never been into that.....i just know i gotta eat clean and every 2-3 hrs works for me. im always hungry

edit: daytona you been at it for a while now, you stll at la fitness? you been packin on those calories?? DIET man

you know thats 80% of this game right there.

Yeah man that ecto is me on the dot. I've def seen an improvement since I started but its been more getting cut then actually gaining moremass, but I went though a few months of trial and error. I'm going to try to do your exercise routine though and switch it up, because I've been doingthe same routine for going on a couple weeks now

and like L2L said diet is like 80% of the game but also don't sleep on recovery time, thats a huge part of it also. Gotta give your muscles a chance torecover

wth are you doing in abercrombie?

besides the fact i wouldnt wear that brand, its clear as day that stuff is cut for extra extra slim dudes. XXL shouldnt surprise you at all. im bigger than youan M-L is what i usually wear.

Yo Prez T major props on the chest/abs!! I'm aiming for a physique like that and I'm getting close..

I like how when I looked at this thread in general, it was right below the "Which tastes better popeyes or kfc" thread...
roll.gif
roll.gif

endorphines makes weight lifting addictive and fun once you work through the initial few weeks of pain and potential embarrassment.

get a gym membership, drop some cash on supplements (whey protein powder, creatine monohydrate, NO Pre Workout Supplement, Fish Oil and Multivitamin) and get afriend to workout with, so you feel actually involved in the process.

Eventually the diet will come as you work into your body will start to crave and work off of clean food.

Stick to basic compound total body lifts (squats, bench press, deadlift, military press) that involve 2 or more bodyparts and multiple joints in order to builda better base of strength.

Dont worry about a six pack right off, a six pack is a measure of body fat percentage (usually lower than 12 will result in visible ab's) so cardio (unlessyour goal is to bulk and gain muscle)

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

Let's just stop this non-sense

DeadLifts are primarily a GLUTEHAM exercise (secondarily inner thigh).....meaning, when done correctly, they work your hamstrings and your glutes.....you should NOT be feeling anything in your back, and if you are...then you are doing it WRONG or the weight is too high and you are overcompensating for that weight....as I was doing in that video...
you're crazy bro. if you're not feeling it in your back you're not lifting enough weight IMO. i keep my form super in check, because when you're lifting that much weight with bad form the results are not pretty.
Like I said above...I have weak hamstrings and ridiculously strong back muscles, hence why I NEVER felt the DL in my back....so I can't do too much weight....my typical Roman Deadlift routine is

Set 1 - 135 x 8
Set 2 - 185 x 8
Set 3 - 185 x 8
Set 4 - 185 x 8

When I was in college, I'd be doing much higher weight but lower reps....You guys should try hyperextensions with a 35/45 plate for your back...same benefits minus the possible injuries/strains OOOOOOOR goodmornings....if you are doing DL's to work on your back then you may be hurting yourselves
I do reg. deadlifts, never tried Romanian, but I usually do 5 reps MAX in a set, and go heavy

like 315x5, 405 x 5, 495 x 5 515x5, 5--x3

not sure how good that is but it's worked for me and it's pretty much a standard 5x5 routine except the last set i try to push myself and do a weight i can only do a few reps of.

i tried doing sets of 8 in lower weights once, completely tired me out, so i always stick to low reps now.
deadlifts target multiple muscles with heavy weight=higher release of growth hormone=greater potential to get big.

wear a built and get some chalk or grips, wide stance and reverse grip.

single leg rdl's work as well or straigth legged if its hammy or leg day. but deadlifts are top 3 if your trying to gain dense muscle for sure, if you cantfeel it in your back its gotta be form or improper weight, get low and explode it may hurt and you will be sore and you may get injured but you may get injuredplaying pickup basketball, and you are definetly just as likely to get injured squatting

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by picknroll24

Since some have mentioned nutrition in here... Have any of you tried the keto diet?

yeah i want to try this when i cut, some people swear by this.

apparently really good for you too, seems tough to stick to though

I've heard both good and bad reviews about it, and I personally wouldn't try it. It seems like it deprives your body too much.
A couple months ago, I was looking into the keto diet and I stumbled upon The Warrior Diet, which I liked more. I've been doing it for a while now and I feel great.
most people on keto struggle at first but once you get used to it you notice gains in energy and at times strength as well as decrease in bodyfat.

basically nutritionists have found out fat and cholesterol not carbohydrates are the best form of energy for the body and the brain, so you keep the carbs lowand your body will adjust to using fat as an energy source (we all eat a lot of carbohydrates which are stored as fat and our bodies get adjusted to them) youwant around 60-70 percent of your daily calories to be from fat, 20 +%! from protein alone (remember your fats will have protein) and the remainder from low GIFibrous Carbs around 50 grams (veggies, think brussel sprouts, lettuce etc) so you can eat peanut butter, all nuts, hot dogs, bacon, as well as fish, fattycuts of beef etc. You want to keep carbs low except for post workout have a high GI Carb Shake, and about once a week a carb up day of about 100 grams from lowGI Soruces like Brown Rice, Oatmeal etc. Your body will reach a state of ketosis, This is when your liver is out of glycogen and starts to produce ketones(by-products of fatty acids), you will start using your dietary fat and stored body fat as energy, WAH-LAH the Keto Diet sort and simple

Back
Top Bottom