Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Wait up, how many reps do you guys do for squats and deadlifts?I personally find myself doing 10 a set. but should i go lower?

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

Would you like to debate my friend? I can cite not only proof, but will direct you to the source.
Isnt well, i dont know, citing the EXACT same thing as directing someone to the source??

How the hell can you cite something AND direct another person to the source?
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
No, it isn't the same thing. If I cite something, quoting it here, then directing someone to the source of my quote.

Fair?
Thats what a cite is. You cant cite anything without providing where the source is from.

laugh.gif
Of course when you are citing something, it is appropriate to providethe source after you make the quote, thus my statement. However, you are simply nitpicking, which actually means you have no point. You were just being anal,which mean that you have the problem, not me.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

I love this thread, nobody answers your questions.
So true!
roll.gif
Many really don't know what they are talking about, that's why!
laugh.gif

For instance, the real reason that squats do not increase your vert alone is because of the muscles involved during the descent. If you want to jump higher, you have to work those muscles that are responsible for lift off, then landing. You can squat, but between sets you must skip rope to get that fast twitch thing going! It's really that simple! The body will only allow you to jump as high as per your ability to land! That's said, you must teach the body how to land first, then lift off!
oh the irony
roll.gif
roll.gif

damn, we've been doing it wrong
roll.gif
Seriously, would any of you like to debate? I mean, if you think that squatting alone will make you jump higher, then you are sniffing something to get up there as well!
I never even said this or anything else, I simply said you were wrong.

But now that you bring it up....yes- heavy squats should increase vertical leap. Is it the only way to do so? No.

Olympic lifts, plyometrics, etc. can do just as much or more for it depending on the individual.......as can losing body fat and working on technique.

But claims like "The body will only allow you to jump as high as per your ability to land" don't make sense.

I forgot to point this out, this last sentence proves that you should not be commenting on anything in regard to increasing ones vertical. If you physicallyland from a point that is too high, what happens to the skeletal structure when the muscular system cannot handle the overload? How efficient a muscle fires,explodes, has everything to do with how well the muscle can recover from that explosion. You cannot put out what you cannot recover from.

This is just basic physics.

time to hit the gym

damn you canadian thanksgiving, damn you to hell!

*wags fist as leftover turkey*

So true!
roll.gif
laugh.gif

For instance, the real reason that squats do not increase your vert alone is because of the muscles involved during the descent. If you want to jump higher, you have to work those muscles that are responsible for lift off, then landing. You can squat, but between sets you must skip rope to get that fast twitch thing going! It's really that simple! The body will only allow you to jump as high as per your ability to land! That's said, you must teach the body how to land first, then lift off!
oh the irony
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
Seriously, would any of you like to debate? I mean, if you think that squatting alone will make you jump higher, then you are sniffing something to get up there as well!

But now that you bring it up....yes- heavy squats should increase vertical leap. Is it the only way to do so? No.

Olympic lifts, plyometrics, etc. can do just as much or more for it depending on the individual.......as can losing body fat and working on technique.

But claims like "The body will only allow you to jump as high as per your ability to land" don't make sense.

I forgot to point this out, this last sentence proves that you should not be commenting on anything in regard to increasing ones vertical. If you physically land from a point that is too high, what happens to the skeletal structure when the muscular system cannot handle the overload? How efficient a muscle fires, explodes, has everything to do with how well the muscle can recover from that explosion. You cannot put out what you cannot recover from.

No, this isn't basic, and physics has nothing to do with this. This is human biomechanics, and your "logic" is absurd.

Depth jumps and other plyos work on your recovery on landing/explosion back up.....this is not the only way to increase your explosiveness or vertical leap,and your original claim that "The body will only allow you to jump as high as per your ability to land" is useless.

Would you like to debate my friend? I can cite not only proof, but will direct you to the source.
Isnt well, i dont know, citing the EXACT same thing as directing someone to the source??

How the hell can you cite something AND direct another person to the source?
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
No, it isn't the same thing. If I cite something, quoting it here, then directing someone to the source of my quote.

Fair?
Thats what a cite is. You cant cite anything without providing where the source is from.

laugh.gif
Of course when you are citing something, it is appropriate to provide the source after you make the quote, thus my statement. However, you are simply nitpicking, which actually means you have no point. You were just being anal, which mean that you have the problem, not me.
wink.gif

No in your statement you said that you would provide not only proof, but direct him to the source. Thats saying the same thing. Its nitpicking??? Most ofthe debates you been having here have been nitpicking and you being anal about whats being said.

How do I not have a point? My point is that you were saying the same thing twice.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

^you're absolutely right above the fast twitch muscle...
Yes, it is fast twitch, but how do you go about training fast twitch fibers? It has been scientifically proven that you don't need weights in order to do that. It's more about training the muscle response, than it is to lift heavy weight. When the body comes down from a jump, the impact is twice above the body's natural weight. Therefore at liftoff, the body must be able to decelerate against greater force, in order to be able create more of an explosion.

It's really simple, isn't it?
and yet there's more to it. yes, it seems like that one dude that can't improve his vert with squats needs to train plyometrically. that isn't the case for everyone. you can train fast-twitch muscle, and you can also increase the amount of fast-twitch fibers you have. that's basic strength training. your muscles can have pure 100% recruitment at lightning speed, but if you have no quad/glute/ham development, you'll only go so far. you're arguing two extremes, favoring one side. you're almost saying squats do nothing for jumping ability. both types of training will produce results, and the best results come from taking both aspects of it into consideration. i haven't even mentioned tendon elasticity, muscle belly length, fast-twitch to slow-twitch fiber ratio, etc.

I hear what you are trying to say, but you are wrong on a few points. You cannot increase the amount of fast twitch fibers that you have, that has been given to you from birth. These are genes, in which you cannot alter. However, you can increase muscle size which is much different. I won't say any more, because you are not citing scientific research. I suggest that you take a look at the National Strength and Conditioning Associations website, then get some useful info sent to you. Also, there is the American College of Sports medicine.

Good luck.
i meant to say fiber size. weight training primarily results in hypertrophy of fast-twitch fibers.
Wrong again. You RECRUIT fast twitch fibers to respond through training them to respond. This is where plyometrics come in. Look, you came at me highlighting what I stated, which you have proven to be true through your responses. I am not hating on you, but you are not correct on many of your assertions.
you don't stop, huh? you say i'm wrong, and then you go off on another point? yes, you recruit fast-twitch fibers doing plyometrics. you also recruit fast-twitch fibers during heavy load bearing exercise. since you keep preaching what you call "basic physics," let me break it downfor you.

jumping is an expression of power (work/time). work is a function of force*distance. you can substitute to get (force*distance)/time. vertical height can beimproved by increasing either force or distance, or by decreasing time in which the force is applied. since the biomechanics (the bones structurespecifically) of a person is fixed, the distance part of the equation is relatively constant. so you have two variables: force and time. plyometrics worksprimarily to influence the time factor involved in muscular contraction. there is also a smaller contribution to force development. to generate asignificantly greater amount of force, there must be a greater cross section of muscular fiber contracting. the best way to achieve this is through heavy loadbearing exercise, with the desired result of increased contractile proteins (myofibrils).

broken down further, you can say jumping ability is affected by both force generation and the efficiency in which it is produced. plyometrics increasesefficiency of force production, and weight training raises the capacity of force production.

can you tell me how athletes like offensive linemen that do little to no jumping or typical plyometric work can have great jumping ability despite their size? what about olympic lifters? do you honesty believe you haven't had a vast number of misstatements so far in the last 3 pages?

BTW, i forgot to take Intrabolic at the gym yesterday.......I am sorer than I've been in a long time.

BCAA's help with DOMS maybe?

So true!
roll.gif
laugh.gif

oh the irony
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif

I forgot to point this out, this last sentence proves that you should not be commenting on anything in regard to increasing ones vertical. If you physically land from a point that is too high, what happens to the skeletal structure when the muscular system cannot handle the overload? How efficient a muscle fires, explodes, has everything to do with how well the muscle can recover from that explosion. You cannot put out what you cannot recover from.

No, this isn't basic, and physics has nothing to do with this. This is human biomechanics, and your "logic" is absurd.

Depth jumps and other plyos work on your recovery on landing/explosion back up.....this is not the only way to increase your explosiveness or vertical leap, and your original claim that "The body will only allow you to jump as high as per your ability to land" is useless.
Oh please! It IS Physics in regard to science. Human biomechanics is about how the body works, along with kinesiology!

So you are telling me that all of the scientific results shown by ACSM, and then the NSCA is wrong? I guess you know better!

So true!
roll.gif
laugh.gif

oh the irony
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif

Depth jumps and other plyos work on your recovery on landing/explosion back up.....this is not the only way to increase your explosiveness or vertical leap, and your original claim that "The body will only allow you to jump as high as per your ability to land" is useless.
Oh please! It IS Physics in regard to science. Human biomechanics is about how the body works, along with kinesiology!

So you are telling me that all of the scientific results shown by ACSM, and then the NSCA is wrong? I guess you know better!
are you gonna put more words in my mouth or are you gonna actually read what i wrote?

there is nothing "simple" about what were discussing, and in your attempts to make it so you've made erroneous claims.

now you want to avoid them and instead argue semantics?

Yes, it is fast twitch, but how do you go about training fast twitch fibers? It has been scientifically proven that you don't need weights in order to do that. It's more about training the muscle response, than it is to lift heavy weight. When the body comes down from a jump, the impact is twice above the body's natural weight. Therefore at liftoff, the body must be able to decelerate against greater force, in order to be able create more of an explosion.

and yet there's more to it. yes, it seems like that one dude that can't improve his vert with squats needs to train plyometrically. that isn't the case for everyone. you can train fast-twitch muscle, and you can also increase the amount of fast-twitch fibers you have. that's basic strength training. your muscles can have pure 100% recruitment at lightning speed, but if you have no quad/glute/ham development, you'll only go so far. you're arguing two extremes, favoring one side. you're almost saying squats do nothing for jumping ability. both types of training will produce results, and the best results come from taking both aspects of it into consideration. i haven't even mentioned tendon elasticity, muscle belly length, fast-twitch to slow-twitch fiber ratio, etc.

I hear what you are trying to say, but you are wrong on a few points. You cannot increase the amount of fast twitch fibers that you have, that has been given to you from birth. These are genes, in which you cannot alter. However, you can increase muscle size which is much different. I won't say any more, because you are not citing scientific research. I suggest that you take a look at the National Strength and Conditioning Associations website, then get some useful info sent to you. Also, there is the American College of Sports medicine.

Good luck.
i meant to say fiber size. weight training primarily results in hypertrophy of fast-twitch fibers.
Wrong again. You RECRUIT fast twitch fibers to respond through training them to respond. This is where plyometrics come in. Look, you came at me highlighting what I stated, which you have proven to be true through your responses. I am not hating on you, but you are not correct on many of your assertions.
you don't stop, huh? you say i'm wrong, and then you go off on another point? yes, you recruit fast-twitch fibers doing plyometrics. you also recruit fast-twitch fibers during heavy load bearing exercise. since you keep preaching what you call "basic physics," let me break it down for you.

jumping is an expression of power (work/time). work is a function of force*distance. you can substitute to get (force*distance)/time. vertical height can be improved by increasing either force or distance, or by decreasing time in which the force is applied. since the biomechanics (the bones structure specifically) of a person is fixed, the distance part of the equation is relatively constant. so you have two variables: force and time. plyometrics works primarily to influence the time factor involved in muscular contraction. there is also a smaller contribution to force development. to generate a significantly greater amount of force, there must be a greater cross section of muscular fiber contracting. the best way to achieve this is through heavy load bearing exercise, with the desired result of increased contractile proteins (myofibrils).

broken down further, you can say jumping ability is affected by both force generation and the efficiency in which it is produced. plyometrics increases efficiency of force production, and weight training raises the capacity of force production.

can you tell me how athletes like offensive linemen that do little to no jumping or typical plyometric work can have great jumping ability despite their size? what about olympic lifters? do you honesty believe you haven't had a vast number of misstatements so far in the last 3 pages?
You can't break anything down, and that is because you didn't even know that fast twitch fibers don't increase, so please! All you didwas copy something, then bring it here. That's not even how you were speakin' before! You are not fooling anyone here! Even what you copied happens tocontradict what you've already stated!
roll.gif

All offensive linemen have great jumping ability? Show your proof!
laugh.gif
Youare too funny! Anything to be right, right?

So true!
roll.gif
laugh.gif

oh the irony
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif

are you gonna put more words in my mouth or are you gonna actually read what i wrote?

there is nothing "simple" about what were discussing, and in your attempts to make it so you've made erroneous claims.

Those *claims* are published by the American College of sports medicine. You can only jump as high, as per your ability to land! Obviously you cantrain the body to do better thru fast twitch recruitment, then adaptation, but still!

The body will not allow you to lift, what it cannot put back down safely! This is proven since weight/bodyweight gets heavier during the descent, overload willoccur, then the skeletal system will break down if the muscular system cannot handle the overload.

If your max bench is 300, and you attempt to lift 400, will you be able to lift it? NO! The reason is not because you are not strong in the concentric phase,but it is because you are not strong enough during the eccentric pahse! It is the same concept with jumping, with the greater force on the return.

But hey, the whole scientific community is wrong, and that includes NASA, which applies the same PHYSICS to flight, and Space travel.

Good luck.
you don't stop, huh? you say i'm wrong, and then you go off on another point? yes, you recruit fast-twitch fibers doing plyometrics. you also recruit fast-twitch fibers during heavy load bearing exercise. since you keep preaching what you call "basic physics," let me break it down for you.

jumping is an expression of power (work/time). work is a function of force*distance. you can substitute to get (force*distance)/time. vertical height can be improved by increasing either force or distance, or by decreasing time in which the force is applied. since the biomechanics (the bones structure specifically) of a person is fixed, the distance part of the equation is relatively constant. so you have two variables: force and time. plyometrics works primarily to influence the time factor involved in muscular contraction. there is also a smaller contribution to force development. to generate a significantly greater amount of force, there must be a greater cross section of muscular fiber contracting. the best way to achieve this is through heavy load bearing exercise, with the desired result of increased contractile proteins (myofibrils).

broken down further, you can say jumping ability is affected by both force generation and the efficiency in which it is produced. plyometrics increases efficiency of force production, and weight training raises the capacity of force production.

You can't break anything down, and that is because you didn't even know that fast twitch fibers don't increase, so please! A;; you did was copy something and bring it here. That's not even how you were speakin' before! You are not fooling anyone here! Even what you copied contradicts what you've already stated!
roll.gif

All offensive linemen have great jumping ability? Show your proof!
laugh.gif
You are too funny! Anything to be right, right?
listen man. you don't know how i speak, how i type, whatever. like joe said, stop arguing semantics and rhetoric.

stop with your simplistic arguments, your high horse attitude, and your imagined infallibility. laugh all you like, but if you want to debate, then keep thelulz out of this.

yes, fast twitch fibers don't increase. i corrected myself.

i did not copy and paste anything. quote me on what contradicted what, because as far as i'm concerned, i've acknowledged my inconsistencies, whileyou are content to argue different points.

if you're so big about proving everything, please provide your citations to journal literature instead of simply pointing at the ACSM and NSCA.

I don't have to say anything anymore. Every time you type something on this subject, my position and the rest of the scientific community, is solidified.

Do you guys take any time release protein (drink it before you sleep)? Just bought some CASEIN (vanilla flavor) it doesn't taste as good as their vanillawhey protein.

To those who are beginners on this thread, those who have questions about training, your best bet is to go to a more reputable website such as Mens Health.com.You don't want to get any info from some of these Yahoos on here, and be careful of what they are selling.

Originally Posted by Prince Of Shoes HEAD

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by Prince Of Shoes HEAD

any one here taken hydroxycut? how did it work for you?
dont take it.
QFT. The short term gains aren't worth the long term effects that you'll suffer from it. The first two things that anyone should do before they should even consider a fat burner is to first and foremost, get active. Don't sit down all day and wonder why you aren't losing jack. Then, look into cleaning up your diet. Atleast this way, you're actually working towards losing fat.

so everyone who take hydroxycut have future problems? i always tho the problem only occurs if they overdose on it or don't consume enough water. i need something for my hunger suppress and energy so i can work out the whole day. i'm also on a very clean diet and work out at least 1 of lifting and 2 hours of muay thai.
I didn't mean like you're guaranteed to get sick or anything, but you will indeed place unneeded stress on your liver, which youwouldn't need and would hurt in the long run. If I'm not mistaken, there was a recent recall on it, right? The added stress may compromise otherprocesses, which is far from ideal. I don't even know what the hell they put in those pills and I would never take any of them. I'd rather countcalories - which I abhor - to lose the fat. I'm more into long term health and overall fitness over looks though.

Since you're so active, don't worry about hydroxycut. If you're hungry often, then either fill up on non-caloric dense foods like greens or maybetry playing with timings/contents of food. Only eat when you're hungry, etc. The thing is, a lot of people don't know when they're truly hungry.Not aimed at you, just trying to give a tip to others. When you're truly hungry, you'll know that you need food. Just because your stomach makes noise,doesn't mean that you need food.
I find that fats help keep hunger at bay longer than carbs do. Plus, they're great when looking to cut fat. Avocados, nuts, nut butters, oils, seeds,olives, etc. aren't bad at all. Try eating more fats.

So true!
roll.gif
laugh.gif

oh the irony
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif

Those *claims* are published by the American College of sports medicine. You can only jump as high, as per your ability to land! Obviously you can train the body to do better thru fast twitch recruitment, then adaptation, but still!

If you the body will not allow you to lift, what it cannot put back down safely! This is proven since weight/bodyweight gets heavier during the descent, overload will occur, then the skeletal system will break down if the muscular system cannot handle the overload.

If your max bench is 300, and you attempt to lift 400, will you be able to lift it? NO! The reason is not because you are not strong in the concentric phase, but it is because you are not strong enough during the eccentric pahse! It is the same concept with jumping, with the greater force on the return.

But hey, the whole scientific community is wrong, and that includes NASA, which applies the same PHYSICS to flight, and Space travel.
Yeah, let's keep repeating our original claims, and then imply that if you disagree you are disagreeing with some of NASA's scientists?

You're a joke. Cite your sources or don't post again. You have contributed nothing to this thread.

To those who are beginners on this thread, those who have questions about training, your best bet is to go to a more reputable website such as Mens Health.com.
I agree. Ideally, this thread should just be to get opinions on new foods, routines, etc., not for learning the basics, that's what theinternet is for.

To those who are beginners on this thread, those who have questions about training, your best bet is to go to a more reputable website such as Mens Health.com. You don't want to get any info from some of these Yahoos on here, and be careful of what they are selling.

menshealth.com?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I don't have to say anything anymore.
About time....

To those who are beginners on this thread, those who have questions about training, your best bet is to go to a more reputable website such as Mens Health.com.
roll.gif

Unreal.

Back
Top Bottom