Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Originally Posted by ericescobar

Of course, I'm not trying to resemble Arnold circa the 70's, but I like what I got.

Well, this is me last year.

Took a quick iphone shot few days ago. Some days I feel I am more defined and some days I feel ugh.

I would do hundreds of crunches when I was younger. I need to relearn that habit.
I'm pretty happy with my strength, though I'll admit I think I hit a plateau.
Still, somedays my pump looks pretty nice.

Awesome progress. Congrats.

Your "pump" and the overall "defined" feelings you get are a result of water weight and carb intake.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

upright rows place way too much stress on your shoulders and are bound to cause damage in the long run. DO NOT do them. seriously.

"As you raise the bar off the floor up to chest level you are abducting the shoulder, which in and of itself is just fine. By maintaining a closed grip with palms (and thumbs) facing you, you have created internal shoulder rotation. As the bar is raised your shoulders are abducted and internally rotated, and that is a pinching combination.

Defenders of the Upright Row will report that they have been doing this exercise for months or years and have never injured themselves while doing it. It is important to understand that rotator cuff injuries are most often cumulative; they happen over time with repetition. As the soft tissue structures within the shoulder are pinched, they become chronically inflamed. Thus one can do a contraindicated exercise and not feel pain immediately afterward. Therefore it is sometimes difficult to associate the injury with the exercise that may have been the cause. That is why I recommend that you drop the Upright Row from your program."
Thank you. Upright rows will kill your shoulders over time.

So will DIPS. I've completely stopped dips because of this very same concept.

I have always done less reps more weight in regards to gaining muscle mass....You guys recommend that?

yeah bent over rows are great

o word joe cam is too good for a team fitness sig
laugh.gif

bout to sleep, im a get write out my routine tomorrow that i started, ill have before an after pics...guess at like 4 weeks

im doin a fat loss routine right now

I have always done less reps more weight in regards to gaining muscle mass....You guys recommend that?
of course

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Here's the thing with hypertrophy (Muscle mass growth)

You're body is smart, and it'll learn to adapt to anything you put it through. When you work out, your muscle utilizes ATP (Adenosine TriPhosPhate foryou non bio majors) as it's energy transport system. ATP is stored in your muscles. The bigger your muscles, the more ATP energy transport molecules youhave to utilize. See where I'm going?

When you do a set, your expend a very large percent of your ATP storage, but it is regained through rest so you can continue with your next set 1-2 minuteslater. The longer you rest, the more ATP gets recovered but you'll never get back to 100%, proven by the fact that you tire as your workout progressesdespite rest between sets. I think 2 minutes wll restore 90% of ATP stores, and 1 minutes will restore like 50% or so, I'm not exactly sure but the pointis the less you rest, the less ATP you recover.

The key to hypertrophy is to starve your muscles of ATP stores, forcing your body to make bigger tanks, ie muscles. This is done by less rest, at a set rangeof 8-10 at a moderately heavy weight (you should be able to finish 10 reps, but no more). Instead of taking 1 or 2 minutes between sets, give yourself only 30seconds. Don't let your body recover it's ATP stores, and force them to grow. Throw in a few superset burnouts at the end with good form andcontractions. I guaranty you'll be STARVING the next day if this is done correctly.

The key to muscle gain is higher intensity, lower rest between sets, not super heavy weights.

K2theAblaM

eff that

as they say "you know your body better than anybody else"

my body gest bigger when i go heavy, ( I ) always push yourself to the limit when going for mass and up them calories

everybody got their own lil tricks, the body is smart though..........

Originally Posted by Al Audi

K2theAblaM

eff that

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]as they say "you know your body better than anybody else"[/color]

my body gest bigger when i go heavy, ( I ) always push yourself to the limit when going for mass and up them calories

everybody got their own lil tricks, the body is smart though..........
Couldn't agree more.

The key to muscle gain is higher intensity, lower rest between sets, not super heavy weights.
again im just goin with my belief for myself........i wasnt saying eff that to the info you had

i def believe in "tricking" the muscles as i call it though, so i do as follows below though

in summary

Hypertrophy Training
is specific for the adaptation of maximal muscle growth, focusing on high levels of volume with minimal rest periods to forcecellular changes that result in an overall increase in muscle.

again im just goin with my belief for myself........i wasnt saying eff that to the info you had

i def believe in "tricking" the muscles as i call it though, so i do as follows below though

in summary

Hypertrophy Training
is specific for the adaptation of maximal muscle growth, focusing on high levels of volume with minimal rest periods to force cellular changes that result in an overall increase in muscle.
lol, that's what I said, without going into ATP and all that other crap.

Kudos good sir.
pimp.gif

I just cut some studying time so I can do some exercises. I've already been lazy with everything but from now on, I will NOT waste time and get in shape.

We on it!!

laugh.gif

bout to sleep, im a get write out my routine tomorrow that i started, ill have before an after pics...guess at like 4 weeks

of course

lol nah ill rep team fitness ill throw the sig on mañana

also i dont want to get into a huge debate and obviously you gotta mix up your workout or you'll plataeu.....but heavy weight is the best way to increasestrength imo. it's been that way thru my experience and thru all the info i've read.

also if you subscribe to the theory that higher weight = better strength gains, then a little rest between sets is beneficial, a sutdy showed that up to 5 minof rest each min of rest in between sets boosted the amount you could lift the next set....when i'm doing heavy squats or deads i try to take 4-5 min inbetween the two heaviest sets because of this

but yeah ultimately mixing it up and not letting your body adapt > any one way of going about it

also a little inspiration:

beast
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Here's the thing with hypertrophy (Muscle mass growth)

You're body is smart, and it'll learn to adapt to anything you put it through. When you work out, your muscle utilizes ATP (Adenosine TriPhosPhate for you non bio majors) as it's energy transport system. ATP is stored in your muscles. The bigger your muscles, the more ATP energy transport molecules you have to utilize. See where I'm going?

When you do a set, your expend a very large percent of your ATP storage, but it is regained through rest so you can continue with your next set 1-2 minutes later. The longer you rest, the more ATP gets recovered but you'll never get back to 100%, proven by the fact that you tire as your workout progresses despite rest between sets. I think 2 minutes wll restore 90% of ATP stores, and 1 minutes will restore like 50% or so, I'm not exactly sure but the point is the less you rest, the less ATP you recover.

The key to hypertrophy is to starve your muscles of ATP stores, forcing your body to make bigger tanks, ie muscles. This is done by less rest, at a set range of 8-10 at a moderately heavy weight (you should be able to finish 10 reps, but no more). Instead of taking 1 or 2 minutes between sets, give yourself only 30 seconds. Don't let your body recover it's ATP stores, and force them to grow. Throw in a few superset burnouts at the end with good form and contractions. I guaranty you'll be STARVING the next day if this is done correctly.

mentally noted
glasses.gif

laugh.gif

of course
lol nah ill rep team fitness ill throw the sig on mañana

also i dont want to get into a huge debate and obviously you gotta mix up your workout or you'll plataeu.....but heavy weight is the best way to increase strength imo. it's been that way thru my experience and thru all the info i've read.

also if you subscribe to the theory that higher weight = better strength gains, then a little rest between sets is beneficial, a sutdy showed that up to 5 min of rest each min of rest in between sets boosted the amount you could lift the next set....when i'm doing heavy squats or deads i try to take 4-5 min in between the two heaviest sets because of this

but yeah ultimately mixing it up and not letting your body adapt > any one way of going about it

also a little inspiration:

beast
pimp.gif

yes

and yes

ok so im trying to get a grip on my health... im 6'2 155-160 (frail as hell ftl
smh.gif
)... I've really only been
in the gym a few times and I could barely lift anything
laugh.gif
... what would you all recommend as far as some beginner workouts?

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

upright rows place way too much stress on your shoulders and are bound to cause damage in the long run. DO NOT do them. seriously.

"As you raise the bar off the floor up to chest level you are abducting the shoulder, which in and of itself is just fine. By maintaining a closed grip with palms (and thumbs) facing you, you have created internal shoulder rotation. As the bar is raised your shoulders are abducted and internally rotated, and that is a pinching combination.

Defenders of the Upright Row will report that they have been doing this exercise for months or years and have never injured themselves while doing it. It is important to understand that rotator cuff injuries are most often cumulative; they happen over time with repetition. As the soft tissue structures within the shoulder are pinched, they become chronically inflamed. Thus one can do a contraindicated exercise and not feel pain immediately afterward. Therefore it is sometimes difficult to associate the injury with the exercise that may have been the cause. That is why I recommend that you drop the Upright Row from your program."
Thank you. Upright rows will kill your shoulders over time.

So will DIPS. I've completely stopped dips because of this very same concept.

Oh damn, well I'll get them off my list, any ways to add to my shoulder routine because I feel like I'm getting stuck on a plateau.

Originally Posted by CJ863

ok so im trying to get a grip on my health... im 6'2 155-160 (frail as hell ftl
smh.gif
)... I've really only been
in the gym a few times and I could barely lift anything
laugh.gif
... what would you all recommend as far as some beginner workouts?
It's good that you at least know your limitations. There's nothing to be ashamed of. The worst thing you can do, is with little-to-noexperience, is to go in and try to throw around weights that are WAY too heavy. I see this quite often in the gym. What I would reccommend is talking to apersonal trainer (if your gym has them) and see what they suggest for a beginner program that suits what you are trying to do. Also, don't be afraid toask people working out for advice. I've been lifting for over 10 years, and I'll still ask questions about exercises, form, etc....there is no shamein doing that, and for the most part, people are more than willing to help.

Another option is to go on to BB.com and research their database for beginner workouts. They have a search engine where you can specify what you want to do. There are also good pictures of different exercises for the various muscle groups.

Good luck w. whatever you do...

tryna get some opinions...

i work atleast 8-10 hrs a day (mon-fri)...

from like 8:30 am to 8:30 pm...

would it be better to wake up early b4 work and hit the gym up...

or after work at like 9 pm??

Originally Posted by FR3SH like UgHH

would it be better to wake up early b4 work and hit the gym up...or after work at like 9 pm??
I would go before work. You just feel so much better when you do it early. It gives you energy for the entire day. Atleast for me.

Originally Posted by Elocin023

would it be better to wake up early b4 work and hit the gym up... I would go before work. You just feel so much better when you do it early. It gives you energy for the entire day. Atleast for me.

or after work at like 9 pm??

Do it earlier. IMO I dont think you should go to sleep right after your workout, as you probably would given your schedule.

Originally Posted by Elocin023

would it be better to wake up early b4 work and hit the gym up...or after work at like 9 pm??
I would go before work. You just feel so much better when you do it early. It gives you energy for the entire day. Atleast for me.
Same here. Also make sure you get a decent about of sleep, 7-8 hours per night. Yes even if that means less NT.
laugh.gif

^
laugh.gif

either way i think im %^&*(@

cause if i go at night...i prob won't b able to sleep...

and if i go that early...i won't get enough sleep...

haha it's a lose lose either way.

Been running about a month after work every night about an hour and just added a morning fasted cardio run. Anyone have any experience with that?

Fasted cardio=running on an empty tank in the morning before you eat. Supposed to be the best time to burn fat but run the risk to lose muscle as well. I'mstarting to lift weights again so I think it can be countered.

Back
Top Bottom