Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

how long does it take for ur muscles to lose it shape if u stop working out? not that i plan on stopping but im just trying to keep things in perspetive.

Depends on the person. Everybody's different, but the general rule of thumb is that a muscle doesn't truly begin to atrophy (get smaller)until it's been inactive (i.e. you haven't worked it out in any way) for about 17 days. The more mature the muscle (the longer you've been liftingweights/strength training/gettin swole) the longer it usually takes to atrophy. Basically there's not a specific answer, but I hope that helps a little.

Also, it's better to have 1 scoop of protein mixed with water if you're trying to lose weight and you're working out on a regular basis. At leastthat's better than starving, but don't have any carbs with it.

i have worked out reguarly everyday for the past 2 months.

My Question is: Does smoking weed or blacks affect my workout progress? I know i need to slow it down, but i was just curious.

^ lol what do u think...

I just added barbell lunges for the first time to my lowerbody workout last night with my deadlifts and squats and it feels amazing

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

how long does it take for ur muscles to lose it shape if u stop working out? not that i plan on stopping but im just trying to keep things in perspetive.
Depends on the person. Everybody's different, but the general rule of thumb is that a muscle doesn't truly begin to atrophy (get smaller) until it's been inactive (i.e. you haven't worked it out in any way) for about 17 days. The more mature the muscle (the longer you've been lifting weights/strength training/gettin swole) the longer it usually takes to atrophy. Basically there's not a specific answer, but I hope that helps a little.

You lose strength at 2x the rate you gained it.

That's strength. Different from atrophy in muscle size/shape. When I flat bench consistently for a month or two, it goes up. I stop for 2 weeks and itdrops like 50lbs.

Originally Posted by aveezytheBEAST

im saying tho, does smoking weed crucially contradict the workout?

i do cardio while blitzed a lot of times...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

I depends on the person I do about 80% weight training 20% cardio because I don't need to lose fat. But a person who is lets say 300 pounds and trying to lose fat should do more cardio then weight training for faster results.

A person who weighs 300 lbs of mostly fat will have a very difficult time lifting weights in general due to the excess fat theyre carrying. Thats not the argument though. 20 lbs was the amount of weight that was being discussed. Theres a big difference between losing 20lbs of excess fat and being morbidly obese and trying to lose weight.

That couldn't be further from the truth... I'm a big guy and have no problems lifting weights... what does excess fat have to do with lifting weights? And just curious... everyone's saying lifting weights will make you drop the fat faster and easier than cardio but you're saying that people who haveMORE fat should do cardio first?
alien.gif
I'm not seeing how that makes anysense... not trying to start any beef, just making some observations over the past couple pages...

Originally Posted by ptrakarn23

laugh.gif

yo i use to run 3 to 4 miles a day and smoked a blunt maybe about 3 times a week and it was coo.....but if you stop running and keep smoking its gunna tear upyour lungs....i been doing preatty good with my journey back to healthy status..... can i join team fitness?

Originally Posted by HardWork919

I depends on the person I do about 80% weight training 20% cardio because I don't need to lose fat. But a person who is lets say 300 pounds and trying to lose fat should do more cardio then weight training for faster results.

A person who weighs 300 lbs of mostly fat will have a very difficult time lifting weights in general due to the excess fat theyre carrying. Thats not the argument though. 20 lbs was the amount of weight that was being discussed. Theres a big difference between losing 20lbs of excess fat and being morbidly obese and trying to lose weight.

That couldn't be further from the truth... I'm a big guy and have no problems lifting weights... what does excess fat have to do with lifting weights? And just curious... everyone's saying lifting weights will make you drop the fat faster and easier than cardio but you're saying that people who have MORE fat should do cardio first?
alien.gif
I'm not seeing how that makes any sense... not trying to start any beef, just making some observations over the past couple pages...

Are you 300 lbs with the majority of it being excess fat, or are you a big guy who is in fairly good shape and simply a big dude?

Excess fat in the body gets in the way of natural ranges of motion and this can create problems when doing any kind of resistance training.

The reason people with more fat should focus on aerobics is for the reason I mentioned above. Starting a strength training program for a highly untrained,overweight, high risk person is going to be difficult. Just to get their body accustomed to the physical demands on it, it is efficient if they begin withaerobic work until theyre acclimated to the stressors on their body.

Again, im referring to individuals who have grade 2 or 3 obesity and not just big people. Someone who is just a naturally big person with some amount ofmuscle is going to have an easier time performing resistance training exercises.

I have been watching my diet but ate El Pollo Loco today.
I figured, a 2 piece chicken (leg and thigh) with a side of small Spanish rice wouldn't be so bad.
Was I wrong. Damn small serving of rice is almost the same amount of calories as the 2 chickens and sodium is almost twice as much as both chickens.
untitl15.jpg

Just horrible.
I also found out that Subways whole wheat bread isn't even really whole wheat.
Thy have corn syrup in the ingredients, which makes the bread brown giving it the image of wheat bread.
On a good note though, I didn't know you could ask them to scoop out the bread at Subway to get rid some of the excess carbs from it.

Just wanted to point out the nutrition is key when trying to lose fat along with hitting weights heavy and fast...of course with proper form.
What you eat PRE POST workout make a huge difference...center your carbs of the day around that.

You can do cardio if you just want to "stay in shape" but don't expect any drastic changes...you'll just be able to condition your body tooutput that much energy. You won't get body recomposition this way.

That couldn't be further from the truth... I'm a big guy and have no problems lifting weights... what does excess fat have to do with lifting weights? And just curious... everyone's saying lifting weights will make you drop the fat faster and easier than cardio but you're saying that people who have MORE fat should do cardio first?
alien.gif
I'm not seeing how that makes any sense... not trying to start any beef, just making some observations over the past couple pages...

Are you 300 lbs with the majority of it being excess fat, or are you a big guy who is in fairly good shape and simply a big dude?

Excess fat in the body gets in the way of natural ranges of motion and this can create problems when doing any kind of resistance training.

The reason people with more fat should focus on aerobics is for the reason I mentioned above. Starting a strength training program for a highly untrained, overweight, high risk person is going to be difficult. Just to get their body accustomed to the physical demands on it, it is efficient if they begin with aerobic work until theyre acclimated to the stressors on their body.

Again, im referring to individuals who have grade 2 or 3 obesity and not just big people. Someone who is just a naturally big person with some amount of muscle is going to have an easier time performing resistance training exercises.
So wrong.

Fat can absolutely weight train, just not in the same way you and I weight train.

Nobody said it would be easy.Weight resistance training starts with your body weight, and progresses from there.

Simple curls and shoulder presses, to cable pulls and presses to promote proper scapular retraction... There's so much you can do .

Imagine a 300+ pound person pays you to be his/her personal trainer, and all you do is send them to the treadmill. You'd be fired before your secondsession.

alien.gif

The reason people with more fat should focus on aerobics is for the reason I mentioned above. Starting a strength training program for a highly untrained, overweight, high risk person is going to be difficult. Just to get their body accustomed to the physical demands on it, it is efficient if they begin with aerobic work until theyre acclimated to the stressors on their body.

Again, im referring to individuals who have grade 2 or 3 obesity and not just big people. Someone who is just a naturally big person with some amount of muscle is going to have an easier time performing resistance training exercises.

I've been over 400 pounds before but to be fair, I've always been fairly muscular/naturally strong so maybe I'm the exception to the rule... I canunderstand being highly untrained, but would the same be said for any person who's untrained? For all I know, you're right and like I said, Iwasn't trying to start anything... just posting my own personal experiences...

Okay, I was contemplating whether to post in here or not in fear of being flamed, but *+$% it, my health is more important than my e-rep, so here goes.

Right now i'm about 6'1 , 330 lbs, and im looking to get in shape. I've been going to the gym for the past 3 days just doing "freestyle"workouts kinda, I have only done weights and no cardio yet, I usually do 2 sets of 15-10-5 reps for what ever weight resistance machine i'm on. My brotherworks out everyday so I do have some idea of what i'm doing, but not 100% sure. I do have whey protien which i use before and after a workout. Basicly mygoal is to keep my bigger stature, but just change my body fat into muscle, considering i've been big all my life, i don't really want to loosehardcore weight and look all skinny becuase that just wouldnt look right on me. I'm sore as a hell right now so I don't know if I'm doing somethingright or wrong. I haven't changed my diet at all, I know that's not good but it's real hard to cut out the not so healthy foods when you'vebeen eating them your whole life. So can anyone help me out or give me some tips or pointers? Anything i'm doing wrong or right? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I took a week off from lifting. I was in there yesterday. I went heavier, but I didn't feel the burn quite as much as I would have liked too.
Been eating maaad fruits lately though. Don't sleep on taking a break from weight training though. Like a week off.

Originally Posted by RFX45

I have been watching my diet but ate El Pollo Loco today.
I figured, a 2 piece chicken (leg and thigh) with a side of small Spanish rice wouldn't be so bad.
Was I wrong. Damn small serving of rice is almost the same amount of calories as the 2 chickens and sodium is almost twice as much as both chickens.
untitl15.jpg

Just horrible.
I also found out that Subways whole wheat bread isn't even really whole wheat.
Thy have corn syrup in the ingredients, which makes the bread brown giving it the image of wheat bread.
On a good note though, I didn't know you could ask them to scoop out the bread at Subway to get rid some of the excess carbs from it.
man i eat this stuff everyday almost, good to see this post of nutrition facts.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

alien.gif

So wrong.

Fat can absolutely weight train, just not in the same way you and I weight train.

Nobody said it would be easy.Weight resistance training starts with your body weight, and progresses from there.

Simple curls and shoulder presses, to cable pulls and presses to promote proper scapular retraction... There's so much you can do .

Imagine a 300+ pound person pays you to be his/her personal trainer, and all you do is send them to the treadmill. You'd be fired before your second session.
Obviously I wouldnt put him on a treadmill for the entire time, but if you had to split it up the majority of the time would be spent doingaerobic work.

If you had an hour session with someone like I described, I so no way in which you would spend more than 30 min having them doing resistance training.

Obviously youd like to have them learn the basic movements and get accustomed to using resistance, but to have them go through a whole routine would be lesseffective for that individual.

Its also different if someone pays you to be their trainer and if a person is simply exercising on their own to lose weight. The money factor changes thesituation.

So today I got a chance to talk to a trainer (He's in fantastic shape btw) at the local la fitness. The conversation ranged from how to get a "6pack" to why so many americans are out of shape, or don't have the desired body that they want.

Basically, he said that it all comes down to your diet. The reason why diets don't work is because most don't have the discipline to stick to one.Dieting is the number 1 key to reaching your fitness goal. Every single fast food joint is bad for you...every single 1. He also talked about soda's,juices, and Capri-suns, all those drinks...none of them are good for you. Im sure you guys know and can break down how bad soda's, and juices are for you.He said in his opinion, the best drink out on the market is the 10 calorie vitamin water. You get some type of flavor, but only carries 10 calories.

As far as 6 packs goes, its been said in this thread already, but you will just build up a very hard stomach doing a bunch of crunches, sit-ups, etc. They arefine and you should do them, but dieting and cardio are a lot more important. Not just for getting that 6 pack, but just being cut up all over. If you are notcut up, its due to the fact that you have too much body fat over your muscles.

Best thread on NT.

Originally Posted by Slaptastic

Okay, I was contemplating whether to post in here or not in fear of being flamed, but *+$% it, my health is more important than my e-rep, so here goes.

Right now i'm about 6'1 , 330 lbs, and im looking to get in shape. I've been going to the gym for the past 3 days just doing "freestyle" workouts kinda, I have only done weights and no cardio yet, I usually do 2 sets of 15-10-5 reps for what ever weight resistance machine i'm on. My brother works out everyday so I do have some idea of what i'm doing, but not 100% sure. I do have whey protien which i use before and after a workout. Basicly my goal is to keep my bigger stature, but just change my body fat into muscle, considering i've been big all my life, i don't really want to loose hardcore weight and look all skinny becuase that just wouldnt look right on me. I'm sore as a hell right now so I don't know if I'm doing something right or wrong. I haven't changed my diet at all, I know that's not good but it's real hard to cut out the not so healthy foods when you've been eating them your whole life. So can anyone help me out or give me some tips or pointers? Anything i'm doing wrong or right? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Fat doesn't become muscle.

Either you wanna slim down, or you wanna become some kinda 330lb all muscle monster. I would highly recommend the first one.

Being sore COULD be a good thing. You said you've been doing freestyle workouts, so you might be working out the same muscles too often. Soreness can bea sign of recovery and good. SUPER soreness could be a sign of
f5235c65ebf573f38059f18252fd782f6562674.gif
in' up royal.

Basically, your post is too vague to give you any advice.

alien.gif

I've been over 400 pounds before but to be fair, I've always been fairly muscular/naturally strong so maybe I'm the exception to the rule... I can understand being highly untrained, but would the same be said for any person who's untrained? For all I know, you're right and like I said, I wasn't trying to start anything... just posting my own personal experiences...

Yeah, I understand you arent trying to start anything. No problem here.

Theres a fairly big difference between someone who is trained and untrained. If you were over 400 lbs, but still had a fair amount of muscle youd have a mucheasier time doing resistance training than say someone who is 400 lbs and has a bf% in the high 20's.

Strength training will raise the bodys metabolism faster than aerobics will, but thats going on the assumption that the intensity of the strength training isgreater than that of the aerobic work.

Make sense?

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

So today I got a chance to talk to a trainer (He's in fantastic shape btw) at the local la fitness. The conversation ranged from how to get a "6 pack" to why so many americans are out of shape, or don't have the desired body that they want.

Basically, he said that it all comes down to your diet. The reason why diets don't work is because most don't have the discipline to stick to one. Dieting is the number 1 key to reaching your fitness goal. Every single fast food joint is bad for you...every single 1. He also talked about soda's, juices, and Capri-suns, all those drinks...none of them are good for you. Im sure you guys know and can break down how bad soda's, and juices are for you. He said in his opinion, the best drink out on the market is the 10 calorie vitamin water. You get some type of flavor, but only carries 10 calories.

As far as 6 packs goes, its been said in this thread already, but you will just build up a very hard stomach doing a bunch of crunches, sit-ups, etc. They are fine and you should do them, but dieting and cardio are a lot more important. Not just for getting that 6 pack, but just being cut up all over. If you are not cut up, its due to the fact that you have too much body fat over your muscles.

Best thread on NT.

I haven't seen 10 calorie vitamin waters but if its like regular vitamin waters than its really 20 calories because come on who really drinks only half thebottle
alien.gif
and than you have to add each gram of sugar and multiply byfour so theres really alot more calories in vitamin water

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

Right now i'm about 6'1 , 330 lbs, and im looking to get in shape. I've been going to the gym for the past 3 days just doing "freestyle" workouts kinda, I have only done weights and no cardio yet, I usually do 2 sets of 15-10-5 reps for what ever weight resistance machine i'm on. My brother works out everyday so I do have some idea of what i'm doing, but not 100% sure. I do have whey protien which i use before and after a workout. Basicly my goal is to keep my bigger stature, but just change my body fat into muscle, considering i've been big all my life, i don't really want to loose hardcore weight and look all skinny becuase that just wouldnt look right on me. I'm sore as a hell right now so I don't know if I'm doing something right or wrong. I haven't changed my diet at all, I know that's not good but it's real hard to cut out the not so healthy foods when you've been eating them your whole life. So can anyone help me out or give me some tips or pointers? Anything i'm doing wrong or right? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Either you wanna slim down, or you wanna become some kinda 330lb all muscle monster.

I'm trying for something in between. I know fat doesn't BECOME muscle, but I do know that fat is required to BUILD muscle, which I have a lot of inthis case, so to be more detailed, I am looking to build more "mass muscle", not so much being cut or however the terminology works. I know it'snot going to happen over night but in the mean time I just want some tip on how to go about getting to my goal.

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

Thanks.

Either you wanna slim down, or you wanna become some kinda 330lb all muscle monster.

I'm trying for something in between. I know fat doesn't BECOME muscle, but I do know that fat is required to BUILD muscle, which I have a lot of in this case, so to be more detailed, I am looking to build more "mass muscle", not so much being cut or however the terminology works. I know it's not going to happen over night but in the mean time I just want some tip on how to go about getting to my goal.
Wait what?

It's not. Not that I know of anyway.

If you decide to only lift, then you'll eventually lose fat because of the calories burned and the increasing caloric maintenance, but that will happenVERY slowly. You probably won't notice any kind of results for a couple of months.

I highly recommend a proper diet and cardio work to complement the weights.

Originally Posted by chokeonsmoke

Originally Posted by ptrakarn23

laugh.gif

yo i use to run 3 to 4 miles a day and smoked a blunt maybe about 3 times a week and it was coo.....but if you stop running and keep smoking its gunna tear up your lungs....i been doing preatty good with my journey back to healthy status..... can i join team fitness?
ive only lifted high once but i hit a pr on bench then, so i can't say it hurts your performance in the gym. this was a while ago though.

to whoever asked for pics yeah i could throw some up but first lemme do this cut, my abs are looking weak right now

Back
Top Bottom