Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

I just hit up some cardio - ran a mile on an indoor track to warm up, then hit the elliptical for 45 minutes. I had the resistance on 12 (out of 20) and theincline on 20 (out of 20). The monitor said I burned 650+ cals, but I don't know how accurate that is...

Felt pretty good afterward though.
smile.gif

Thanks to NT, I'm actually looking forward to waking up tomorrow morning and lifting.
laugh.gif

i need to really change my freakin diet, ive been hitting the gym hard and actually doing everything and a little bit of cardio. SMH @ me
smh.gif

Hit the gym today and biked for about 35 minutes and then hit the weights. It said I biked 7 miles or something. I've really been feeling good going to thegym 3 out of the last 4 days.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by HardWork919

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

I depends on the person I do about 80% weight training 20% cardio because I don't need to lose fat. But a person who is lets say 300 pounds and trying to lose fat should do more cardio then weight training for faster results.

A person who weighs 300 lbs of mostly fat will have a very difficult time lifting weights in general due to the excess fat theyre carrying. Thats not the argument though. 20 lbs was the amount of weight that was being discussed. Theres a big difference between losing 20lbs of excess fat and being morbidly obese and trying to lose weight.

That couldn't be further from the truth... I'm a big guy and have no problems lifting weights... what does excess fat have to do with lifting weights? And just curious... everyone's saying lifting weights will make you drop the fat faster and easier than cardio but you're saying that people who have MORE fat should do cardio first?
alien.gif
I'm not seeing how that makes any sense... not trying to start any beef, just making some observations over the past couple pages...

Are you 300 lbs with the majority of it being excess fat, or are you a big guy who is in fairly good shape and simply a big dude?

Excess fat in the body gets in the way of natural ranges of motion and this can create problems when doing any kind of resistance training.

The reason people with more fat should focus on aerobics is for the reason I mentioned above. Starting a strength training program for a highly untrained, overweight, high risk person is going to be difficult. Just to get their body accustomed to the physical demands on it, it is efficient if they begin with aerobic work until theyre acclimated to the stressors on their body.

Again, im referring to individuals who have grade 2 or 3 obesity and not just big people. Someone who is just a naturally big person with some amount of muscle is going to have an easier time performing resistance training exercises.

I've been over 400 pounds before but to be fair, I've always been fairly muscular/naturally strong so maybe I'm the exception to the rule... I can understand being highly untrained, but would the same be said for any person who's untrained? For all I know, you're right and like I said, I wasn't trying to start anything... just posting my own personal experiences...

Yeah, I understand you arent trying to start anything. No problem here.

Theres a fairly big difference between someone who is trained and untrained. If you were over 400 lbs, but still had a fair amount of muscle youd have a much easier time doing resistance training than say someone who is 400 lbs and has a bf% in the high 20's.

Strength training will raise the bodys metabolism faster than aerobics will, but thats going on the assumption that the intensity of the strength training is greater than that of the aerobic work.

Make sense?

Ok, that definitely makes sense... so if you're a big guy that's trying to drop the weight, you start out with cardio... at what point would one moveto weight lifting though? It seems to me that it'd be better to at least do some weight lifting and some HIIT rather just straight cardio...

Originally Posted by masterhammy23

Hit the gym today and biked for about 35 minutes and then hit the weights. It said I biked 7 miles or something. I've really been feeling good going to the gym 3 out of the last 4 days.

I would highly suggest you to bike after you hit the weights. You'll feel less fatiqued and will be able to lift more weight and burn fat more effectively.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

I depends on the person I do about 80% weight training 20% cardio because I don't need to lose fat. But a person who is lets say 300 pounds and trying to lose fat should do more cardio then weight training for faster results.

A person who weighs 300 lbs of mostly fat will have a very difficult time lifting weights in general due to the excess fat theyre carrying. Thats not the argument though. 20 lbs was the amount of weight that was being discussed. Theres a big difference between losing 20lbs of excess fat and being morbidly obese and trying to lose weight.

That couldn't be further from the truth... I'm a big guy and have no problems lifting weights... what does excess fat have to do with lifting weights? And just curious... everyone's saying lifting weights will make you drop the fat faster and easier than cardio but you're saying that people who have MORE fat should do cardio first?
alien.gif
I'm not seeing how that makes any sense... not trying to start any beef, just making some observations over the past couple pages...

Are you 300 lbs with the majority of it being excess fat, or are you a big guy who is in fairly good shape and simply a big dude?

Excess fat in the body gets in the way of natural ranges of motion and this can create problems when doing any kind of resistance training.

The reason people with more fat should focus on aerobics is for the reason I mentioned above. Starting a strength training program for a highly untrained, overweight, high risk person is going to be difficult. Just to get their body accustomed to the physical demands on it, it is efficient if they begin with aerobic work until theyre acclimated to the stressors on their body.

Again, im referring to individuals who have grade 2 or 3 obesity and not just big people. Someone who is just a naturally big person with some amount of muscle is going to have an easier time performing resistance training exercises.

I've been over 400 pounds before but to be fair, I've always been fairly muscular/naturally strong so maybe I'm the exception to the rule... I can understand being highly untrained, but would the same be said for any person who's untrained? For all I know, you're right and like I said, I wasn't trying to start anything... just posting my own personal experiences...

Yeah, I understand you arent trying to start anything. No problem here.

Theres a fairly big difference between someone who is trained and untrained. If you were over 400 lbs, but still had a fair amount of muscle youd have a much easier time doing resistance training than say someone who is 400 lbs and has a bf% in the high 20's.

Strength training will raise the bodys metabolism faster than aerobics will, but thats going on the assumption that the intensity of the strength training is greater than that of the aerobic work.

Make sense?

Ok, that definitely makes sense... so if you're a big guy that's trying to drop the weight, you start out with cardio... at what point would one move to weight lifting though? It seems to me that it'd be better to at least do some weight lifting and some HIIT rather just straight cardio...
There are a few things that haven't been mentioned yet. Someone who is overweight has to carry that weight around on, so even an untrainedoverweight person carries more strength and muscle than a typical untrained non-overweight individual. Since cardio relies on the heart and lungs more thanstrength and muscle, an overweight person will be putting more stress on their heart and cardiovascular system to do the same amount of "work" (e.g.distance at a given speed). Doing resistance training instead will be less stressful on the heart of an overweight person, and more rest time can be usedwithout reducing the benefit (mainly strength and burning calories).

Once the person develops a decent base of strength (over the course of a week or two), then any cardio that they do can be done faster/harder to burn morecalories in less time and to increase aerobic capacity pretty fast. Also, they can do circuit training to put more empahsis on the cardiovascular system.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

Originally Posted by chokeonsmoke

Originally Posted by ptrakarn23

Originally Posted by aveezytheBEAST

im saying tho, does smoking weed crucially contradict the workout?

i do cardio while blitzed a lot of times...
laugh.gif

yo i use to run 3 to 4 miles a day and smoked a blunt maybe about 3 times a week and it was coo.....but if you stop running and keep smoking its gunna tear up your lungs....i been doing preatty good with my journey back to healthy status..... can i join team fitness?
ive only lifted high once but i hit a pr on bench then, so i can't say it hurts your performance in the gym. this was a while ago though.

to whoever asked for pics yeah i could throw some up but first lemme do this cut, my abs are looking weak right now
youre not alone

im on like week 2 right now.........ill be back in no time.

Question... so when you are doing a bulk is it best to cut cardio completely or do it on off days from lifting?
I'm scared of getting fat in my stomach and that I'll have a hard time losing it

to the dude who said working out body parts once a week isn't gonna cut it if you're trying to lose weight:

so what do you suggest i do. i've got my diet down pretty good right now. but what should i do weight training wise?

i do want to define my chest more, so should i do chest twice a week?

i can tell you i probably won't do back, shoulders, or legs twice a week, but i would chest and arms...

Originally Posted by chokeonsmoke

Originally Posted by ptrakarn23

Originally Posted by aveezytheBEAST

im saying tho, does smoking weed crucially contradict the workout?

i do cardio while blitzed a lot of times...
laugh.gif

yo i use to run 3 to 4 miles a day and smoked a blunt maybe about 3 times a week and it was coo.....but if you stop running and keep smoking its gunna tear up your lungs....i been doing preatty good with my journey back to healthy status..... can i join team fitness?
ive only lifted high once but i hit a pr on bench then, so i can't say it hurts your performance in the gym. this was a while ago though.

to whoever asked for pics yeah i could throw some up but first lemme do this cut, my abs are looking weak right now

Good stuff well any way i only smoke and drink on the weekends so i should be good to go

Breakfast: Cereal Bar
Lunch: tilapia/ veggies/ AMP energy drink
Dinner: dunno yet

Still haven't change my bfast yet.. Hopefully i can wake up earlier next week.

I'll have to run outside tonight if i want to get cardio in.. Gym will be closed after work.

Yo someone explain this to me... I'm clean bulking right now but it seems like I'm losing my ab visibility.. I dont know how to explain it like sinceIm putting on weight my abs are less visible...how do I bulk and keep my abs poppin

Yo someone explain this to me... I'm clean bulking right now but it seems like I'm losing my ab visibility.. I dont know how to explain it like since Im putting on weight my abs are less visible...how do I bulk and keep my abs poppin
Same thing with me too... I'm on my bulking cycle and have gained 15 pounds in two months.
pimp.gif

Only thing is your abs are going to diminish for the time being because along with bulking no matter how clean, or how many carbs are involved you will gainfat.

That's why I'm starting to cut by the end of this year.

Originally Posted by MF Doomer

Yo someone explain this to me... I'm clean bulking right now but it seems like I'm losing my ab visibility.. I dont know how to explain it like since Im putting on weight my abs are less visible...how do I bulk and keep my abs poppin
Same thing with me too... I'm on my bulking cycle and have gained 15 pounds in two months.
pimp.gif

Only thing is your abs are going to diminish for the time being because along with bulking no matter how clean, or how many carbs are involved you will gain fat.

That's why I'm starting to cut by the end of this year.

yup fat travels from the bottom up, I thought it was common knowledge you lose definition while bulking?

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

So how does one make the transition from bulking to cutting?

Go stricter on your diet, i.e. cut out the fats completely & take in less calories
& up your cardio

Originally Posted by vkhoj

Just wanted to point out the nutrition is key when trying to lose fat along with hitting weights heavy and fast...of course with proper form.
What you eat PRE POST workout make a huge difference...center your carbs of the day around that.

You can do cardio if you just want to "stay in shape" but don't expect any drastic changes...you'll just be able to condition your body to output that much energy. You won't get body recomposition this way.
why don't you just recommend cardio+strength training

smh.gif
@ some people not finding cardio fun
cycling
eek.gif
pimp.gif

I need to get me a good routine going. Right now I'm doing cardio on the bike, which isn't as great as jogging or stairs or even the elliptical, butit's less strain on my back. I've usually been hitting the bike first and then just doing some weights, not that focused or anything. Someone suggestedabove doing weights before getting on the bike. Is this a good idea? Also, would it be more beneficial to try to get on the treadmill/ellipticals/stairs overthe bike? I'm trying to do fat burning if that matters. Also, how should I go about weight? Does it matter how much I'm doing or anything? I'm justtotally lost and would love to get a good routine going. I also need to look at my diet. I'm already trying to cut out soda

Originally Posted by masterhammy23

I need to get me a good routine going. Right now I'm doing cardio on the bike, which isn't as great as jogging or stairs or even the elliptical, but it's less strain on my back. I've usually been hitting the bike first and then just doing some weights, not that focused or anything. Someone suggested above doing weights before getting on the bike. Is this a good idea? Also, would it be more beneficial to try to get on the treadmill/ellipticals/stairs over the bike? I'm trying to do fat burning if that matters. Also, how should I go about weight? Does it matter how much I'm doing or anything? I'm just totally lost and would love to get a good routine going. I also need to look at my diet. I'm already trying to cut out soda
I like doing cardio after my workout, I think it just comes down to preference. I also read somewhere that doing weightlifting first uses all theglycogen compounds, than when u do cardio...it uses fat as it's energy source. Again, I read this somewhere so don't quote me on it.

Any of you fellas ever get dunked in water for measurement on your body stats? I wanna go try it out but the closest location is a 60-70 mile one way drive.

Originally Posted by I3

oh you didn't say anything bout breakfast.

i usually eat 5 or so eggs + 2/3 cup steel cut oats + a small amount of lean non-red meat or fish.

are you trying to gain, lose, or maintain weight?

Yeah sorry.. I was meaning breakfast.

Im trying to maintain/gain a little weight while shedding some bodyfat (currently 14%). Im getting sick of oats and egg whites.. and decided to go back to my beautiful cereal.. (muesli or kelloggs nutrigrain) but they are packed with carbs..

Also im struggling to fill up my calorie quota (1800-2400)

Breakfast:
1 cup oatmeal + milk + banana

Snack:
Protein shake (postworkout)

Lunch:
6 eggwhites + 1oz cheddar cheese (sometimes add tuna)
or can Tuna

Snack:
Beef Jerky
Fruit (P90x diet makes for 1 piece of fruit per day lol.. thats tough)

Dinner:
Chicken breast or grilled fish
1 cup vegetables
no brown rice?

Snack:
Protein shake

Have you any tips where I can afford to eat more? I want to eat more, but more proper foods. Im trying to go 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats according to the P90x diet.

Sound good?

Originally Posted by picknroll24

Question... so when you are doing a bulk is it best to cut cardio completely or do it on off days from lifting?
I'm scared of getting fat in my stomach and that I'll have a hard time losing it
bulk is for gaining muscle, cardio is for shedding fat. For your situation you could rotate between the two every other day. ex. monday cardio,tuesday bulk, wednesday cardio....etc

Back
Top Bottom