Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

So my doctor recommended I lose a bit of weight. I want to know what is the optimal workout to shed as much fat as possible. Do I need to mix cardio andweights? and if I do, how could I balance the two to make sure I'm losing as much as possible?

Help would be much appreciated.

Originally Posted by wj4

Any of you fellas ever get dunked in water for measurement on your body stats? I wanna go try it out but the closest location is a 60-70 mile one way drive.

nope

this is THE most accurate measure also.

truck1_lg.JPG

would be neat if i had this in my area.

Hey I recently just got into gaining more muscles and heard all about protein stuff. I bought some cheaper protein shake stuff because I don't want towaste so much money on it if I don't like it. Here's a link to the exact product I bought. I know it's probably crap but I don't have muchmoney haha.

https://www.svncanada.com/cart_product.php?id=1897&type=1

What I wanted to know from experts on here if it's a decent protein shake for pre or post workout? Also, can anyone read the supplements facts on thebottom of the website link for me and tell me if it's good or not? I don't really know how to read these kinds of stuff and whether it's good ornot. Oh and when should I take it? Thanks a bunch for any help that you guys can provide!!

hey i got a question. i just broke my arm and cant workout (obviously). do i continue to take protein to maintain my shape? i dont want to lose it

Originally Posted by MyJaysGetRocked

Originally Posted by masterhammy23

I need to get me a good routine going. Right now I'm doing cardio on the bike, which isn't as great as jogging or stairs or even the elliptical, but it's less strain on my back. I've usually been hitting the bike first and then just doing some weights, not that focused or anything. Someone suggested above doing weights before getting on the bike. Is this a good idea? Also, would it be more beneficial to try to get on the treadmill/ellipticals/stairs over the bike? I'm trying to do fat burning if that matters. Also, how should I go about weight? Does it matter how much I'm doing or anything? I'm just totally lost and would love to get a good routine going. I also need to look at my diet. I'm already trying to cut out soda
I like doing cardio after my workout, I think it just comes down to preference. I also read somewhere that doing weightlifting first uses all the glycogen compounds, than when u do cardio...it uses fat as it's energy source. Again, I read this somewhere so don't quote me on it.

I've been wanting to look into this as well because I want to do both. I was thinking to have a post workout shake then do cardio

Originally Posted by MyJaysGetRocked

Originally Posted by masterhammy23

I need to get me a good routine going. Right now I'm doing cardio on the bike, which isn't as great as jogging or stairs or even the elliptical, but it's less strain on my back. I've usually been hitting the bike first and then just doing some weights, not that focused or anything. Someone suggested above doing weights before getting on the bike. Is this a good idea? Also, would it be more beneficial to try to get on the treadmill/ellipticals/stairs over the bike? I'm trying to do fat burning if that matters. Also, how should I go about weight? Does it matter how much I'm doing or anything? I'm just totally lost and would love to get a good routine going. I also need to look at my diet. I'm already trying to cut out soda
I like doing cardio after my workout, I think it just comes down to preference. I also read somewhere that doing weightlifting first uses all the glycogen compounds, than when u do cardio...it uses fat as it's energy source. Again, I read this somewhere so don't quote me on it.

You are correct! Therefore it shouldnt even be a preference, it should be a recommendation. And this si the 4th time i've repeated this statement. Alwaysdo cardio after your work out.

Someone suggested above doing weights before getting on the bike. Is this a good idea?

It is a GREAT idea

Also, would it be more beneficial to try to get on the treadmill/ellipticals/stairs over the bike?

I would say so, but mix it up. Ensure there are surprises for your body and different exercises will keep you from being bored.

I'm trying to do fat burning if that matters. Also, how should I go about weight? Does it matter how much I'm doing or anything?

Well like most ppl would agree on, if you want cuts then low weight/ high reps, if you want mass then high weight/ low reps

If you want to burn fat more effectively then think about how you can combine strength training with a little bit of cardio. Such as box jump with a lightdumbbell, or explosive exercises that require the entire body to engage, like squat, deadlift, hang clean,....

Rest 15-20 seconds between sets. Take 1-2 seconds to lift up, and 3-4 seconds to original position. Sometimes i add 10lbs to what i can lift up, and havesomeone help me get it up and i slowly let gravity help me lower it. This is called negatives. According to study muscles work much harder during the loweringprocess than the lifting.

I'm just totally lost and would love to get a good routine going. I also need to look at my diet. I'm already trying to cut out soda

Yea. Cut it out. Completely.

Also, since you stated that your back strains when you run, then may i suggest you train your core. Weight lifting can help cure body pain. Maybe a little bitof back and core training can get rid of this problem. A little pain in the beginning, but lots of gain in teh long run

^ Would you recommend having a shake post workout(lifting) then going to cardio or going straight into it?

Okay HELP,

when i play baseball, my bad doesn't hurt

BUT when I play soccer my back locks up and I can't stand to run anymore also when I jog. I guess its when I'm constantly running and pounding my back.... what wrong with me

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

^ Would you recommend having a shake post workout(lifting) then going to cardio or going straight into it?
Well for me, if im somewhat full, and i run, my sides hurt really bad
laugh.gif

Plus i believe that right after i lift, my body is now relying on the fat storage. Drinking a shake would just refuel your body and therefore the fatty willjust be ignored. So i go right into it.

Same reason why some ppl go run early in the morning, before they have breakfast. When your body starves energy source, fat is the only place left to tap into.

I'm 22 years old, gonna be 23 in october... I weigh anywhere between 187-193 and I was just wondering what's an ideal weight for me to be at? I'm5' 11.5" by the way almost six feet tall

Originally Posted by NiPxD

laugh.gif

Plus i believe that right after i lift, my body is now relying on the fat storage. Drinking a shake would just refuel your body and therefore the fatty will just be ignored. So i go right into it.

Same reason why some ppl go run early in the morning, before they have breakfast. When your body starves energy source, fat is the only place left to tap into.

Makes sense, thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by andycrazn

hey i got a question. i just broke my arm and cant workout (obviously). do i continue to take protein to maintain my shape? i dont want to lose it
can someone answer this question?

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Originally Posted by wj4

Any of you fellas ever get dunked in water for measurement on your body stats? I wanna go try it out but the closest location is a 60-70 mile one way drive.

nope

this is THE most accurate measure also.

truck1_lg.JPG

would be neat if i had this in my area.
Yeah, dude that's exactly what I meant. I Google'd one up and it's "mobile", but dude said he doesn't travel outside ofOrange County so I gotta go meet him down there.
laugh.gif
SMH

My scale only has 2 electrodes so it's not that accurate at all. I can be off by ~1% body fat in 5 seconds or so.

What kinda protein are you talking about? Like a shake? If you drink protein shake and DONT work out that'll just make you fat. Lol.

If you want to maintain your shape until your arm heals again, then you should just maintain a good diet, and "sneak" in a few ways to burn someexcess calories. Like park really far so you'd have to walk to reach your destination.

Been on vacation since wednesday night... Have only been able to eat like 2-3 meals a day. I can definitely feel a big difference in my body and muscles.Feeling a lot smaller.

What kinda protein are you talking about? Like a shake? If you drink protein shake and DONT work out that'll just make you fat. Lol.

If you want to maintain your shape until your arm heals again, then you should just maintain a good diet, and "sneak" in a few ways to burn some excess calories. Like park really far so you'd have to walk to reach your destination.
a little hard to do that. its getting damp in my cast and i might have some kind of infection from it cause i had surgery done and yea.....

Hit the gym this morning.. I'm trying to switch it up to cardio before breakfast since that's the word.

45 mins elliptical
dumbbell bench
flies
abs

breakfast: watermelon, 2 scoops of wheybolic, gonna try to pick something else up before class
lunch: dunno

I'm tired and need a nap, but have class.
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif

Might hit up the gym again tonite to get some more weights in. 1-2 weeks ago I was avg. about 229-231 on the scale. I've been at 224-226lbs for the pastcouple days.
happy.gif

laugh.gif

Plus i believe that right after i lift, my body is now relying on the fat storage. Drinking a shake would just refuel your body and therefore the fatty will just be ignored. So i go right into it.

is it better to run early in the morning or after doing strength training? or can both be done on an empty stomach?
laugh.gif

I was able to weigh myself yesterday (dont own a scale
smh.gif
@me)
Lost 20 pounds so far this summer, and that was my goal for the entire summer
pimp.gif

Gonna try to do cardio every day this week.

Good job Gmills, the hardest part of losing weight is trying to keep it off so GL with that man.

After finishing my 5 week Pharm Tech program which I was on my constant studying/training I have some time to train now. I've used protein powders since Iwas in my teens and I wish I didnt because I feel that you should only start to use training supplements after your body stops growing. I'm gonna go with anatural route as far as post-workout nutrition and see how that goes. The thing with me is that I always felt that if you workout you NEED to take a proteinpowder or a supplement but I'll see how my new method goes.

I figured since I haven't trained in a while I'd start off slow today probably with 1 excercise with 2-3 sets for my chest, biceps,shoulders, forearmsand quads today to get me back into things then get on the treadmill for a 20 min walk then if I still got some energy to some punching bag work.

Originally Posted by knightngale

laugh.gif

is it better to run early in the morning or after doing strength training? or can both be done on an empty stomach?
laugh.gif

Be careful doing it early in the morning when you're catabolic, gotta take it light.

Back
Top Bottom