Stephen Curry Jumpshot appreciation Vol. 2nd coming of Reggie?

Originally Posted by MrMoneyInDaBank

because he can handle the ball and make his own shot

This is not a correct statement. He has not been creating his own shot or he would be averaging 50 a game. He runs around screens until he gets the ballin scoring position. And one successful drive to the basket in three games doesn't make him a slasher. He is someone you just don't want to give anyspace to or you will pay.

Steph aint no damn 6'3 1st of all.....

2nd of all, I'm glad to see him do well....Been watching him since he was at Charlotte Christian....

3rd, Y'all OD'ing w/ all this Curry talk. Lets just enjoy what he is doing now....Cause you may not see anything like this in a long time....

Westbrook: 12.4 ppg; 4.4 apg; 4.0 rpg; 2.5 TOpg; 1.6 spg; 33.2 3PT%
Bayless: 19.7 ppg; 4.0 apg; 2.0p rpg; 3.0 TOpg; 1.0 spg; 40.7 3PT%
Gordon: 20.9 ppg; 2.4 apg; 3.2 rpg; 3.6 TOpg; 1.3 spg; 33.7 3PT%

Curry: 25.9 ppg; 2.9 apg; 4.6 rpg; 2.6 TOpg; 2.1 spg; 44.8 3PT%

The kid scores more, gets more steals, gets more rebounds, and shoots the rock better than the other three mentioned. Personally I think this kid can be anall-star at the next level, I saw the potential last year when Maryland couldn't stop him.

Westbrook lock down defender and way more athletic agreed. As a PG? Horrible decision maker. Look at what happened when Darren fouled out. They got sloppy withthe ball.

Bayless and Curry are about the same with creating their shots off the dribble. Again a better athlete. Better scorer? No. Proof is in the pudding.

Gordon better athlete. Yes. Quicker first step. Bigger body. What I dont like about Gordon is when he cant get past a defender he just shoots it. No matterwhere he is on the court. Curry would make the pass and then come off some screens to get a better shot. He is a better decision maker in that aspect. BetterScorer? See Bayless.

I made the argument I did becuase of what you said about 6'3 SG's. Well those are 6'3 SG's . They are all going to have to play the PG at thenext level and none of them have had reps to do so. Stephon shoots better than all of them. From what I have seen, he has a better bball IQ. Saying that Currydoesnt belong in the same discussion as them is plain nonsense. Why? Because the go to bigger schools, with a bigger name? Dont fall in to what the media wantsyou to believe. Newsflash. Im going to let you in on something. D1 basketball is about coaching. Everybody (players) are pretty good. Coaching makes thedifference. Its the preparation by the coaches that make teams and players stand out. There are players at low majors better than players at duke,kentucky,wisconsin , unc, ucla etc. But they dont get good coaching or the media converage that those schools do. Dont get me wrong I agree with a lot withwhat you said, but a lot of people fall in to the hype.

Dont fall in to what the media wants you to believe.
The media wants me to believe he is the best thing I've ever seen.

And I'm not buyin that.

Bayless and Gordon will be better scorers on the next level...not even a question. Curry is not going to be a better scorer at the next level. He won't beable to score in the same ways...he is a role player, that in the right system can have a nice career, a very nice career.

Westbrook was doin fine at the point early this season, why do you think his stock is so high right now?

Curry is a better shooter than them...and really, that is it.

That is so meaningless...so meaningless
laugh.gif

3rd, Y'all OD'ing w/ all this Curry talk. Lets just enjoy what he is doing now...
Yeah..

I made the argument I did becuase of what you said about 6'3 SG's. Well those are 6'3 SG's . They are all going to have to play the PG at the next level and none of them have had reps to do so. Stephon shoots better than all of them. From what I have seen, he has a better bball IQ. Saying that Curry doesnt belong in the same discussion as them is plain nonsense. Why? Because the go to bigger schools, with a bigger name? Dont fall in to what the media wants you to believe. Newsflash. Im going to let you in on something. D1 basketball is about coaching. Everybody (players) are pretty good. Coaching makes the difference. Its the preparation by the coaches that make teams and players stand out. There are players at low majors better than players at duke, kentucky,wisconsin , unc, ucla etc. But they dont get good coaching or the media converage that those schools do. Dont get me wrong I agree with a lot with what you said, but a lot of people fall in to the hype.

Curry ain't no combo guard.....he's a SG, plain and simple...the difference between he, and Bayless/Westbrook, is that the other two CAN run the point.They have the quickness/athleticism to make up for a lot of their shortcomings. He does not belong in those discussions with Bayless, Westbrook, and Gordon.There is a reason why those three are considered lottery picks, while Curry is a fringe 1st rounder at best (if he declared this year)....

Obviously there are players at mid-major schools who COULD play in better conferences and on better teams. For whatever reason, they fell through the cracks orweren't recruited as heavily coming out of HS. Curry was looked at by VT, but Seth Greenberg wanted him to walk-on and potentially redshirt a year. AtDavidson, Curry got a chance to play right away. Who knew he would turn out the way he did? You ALWAYS have stories of the dudes in mid-major schools who gotlooked over, but made a lot of people look foolish when talking about "hindsight is 20/20." You just don't know....it's a total crapshoot.

But bro...no one is going to question you about Curry's shooting or NCAA exploits....what it boils down to is the bandwagoning and outlandish statements(Reggie Miller) made after he goes for 30+ in the tourney. He's a great college player, but there have been many others who came before him who had littleto no success on the next level. He is handicapped by his size, lack of speed, and other intangibles. A team will take a chance on him in the 1st round, andI have no doubt about it because of his shooting. No one is going to expect him to drive the lane, create his own shot, or take it hard to the hoop. Thatisn't his game. People are going to expect him to knock down the open shot when he is in the game.

I agree Dre...the 6'3" is a "wee" bit generous. I was going off of his listed height on ESPN. I have seen him listed as short as6'1". My point is, there are not many SG's who are under 6'3" who have had overwhelming success in the NBA. Like I said before, he isNOT a combo guard like Bayless or Westbrook, so they are nullified in this argument. Curry is a SG plain and simple. He's a good shooter, but not thebest I have seen in college hoops....over the past 5-7 years (shooting wise), I would take Salim Stoudamire, JJ Redick, and even Jonathan Wallace over Curry. That isn't a knock on Curry, cause he's a damn good shooter....but, he isn't the best that I have seen.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Originally Posted by toine2983

Good Lord.

Stephen Curry is having a hell of a tournament run, but God give it a rest.
tired.gif

smh.gif
@ these bandwagon fans, where was the Stephen Curry jumpshot appreciation thread 2 months ago?

I'm REALLY suprised JRain didn't start this thread.
laugh.gif

Stop it, I played against him in AAU so I known about him B4 davidson. May b iwas reachin witht the Reggie talk. I dont think hes gonna go 1st rd unless his stock goes up considerably in the next 2 years. But if he get paired with a really good slasher thats gonna collaspe the D and get him open shots? He could be a problem.

Physically Curry cant compete on the pro level, sorry.
He's 6'3". He just needs to hit the gym

He's 6'3". He just needs to hit the gym

All, I know is...

I hooped against him and his brother Seth at the Y....

And Steph ain't no damn 6'3

ohwell.gif

I agree Dre...the 6'3" is a "wee" bit generous. I was going off of his listed height on ESPN. I have seen him listed as short as 6'1". My point is, there are not many SG's who are under 6'3" who have had overwhelming success in the NBA. Like I said before, he is NOT a combo guard like Bayless or Westbrook, so they are nullified in this argument. Curry is a SG plain and simple. He's a good shooter, but not the best I have seen in college hoops....over the past 5-7 years (shooting wise), I would take Salim Stoudamire, JJ Redick, and even Jonathan Wallace over Curry. That isn't a knock on Curry, cause he's a damn good shooter....but, he isn't the best that I have seen.
Yeah, I wasn't talking about you specifially in regards to his height....

And, Im not sure if I would take J-Wall over Steph.....Dunno bout that one brother.....

Originally Posted by soychulo

This is not a correct statement. He has not been creating his own shot or he would be averaging 50 a game. He runs around screens until he gets the ball in scoring position. And one successful drive to the basket in three games doesn't make him a slasher. He is someone you just don't want to give any space to or you will pay.
I didn't say he has been handling the ball I said he CAN. But put the ball on the floor when yo keep gettin open looks off screens and ur pg issetin up open lovely

Salim stoudamire was a streak shooter. He does not have the pure jump shot curry does.

And yall might get at me for this but is Reggie Millers overall game that good? not in my opinion. He was the best jumpshooter in the history of the game. nocontest, but he had average handle and no playmaking skill. He played with good point guards most of his career and he shined because of it.

They are considered lottery picks based off of "potential". Exactly why I said you never know whats going to happen until they get there. Which is myargument. I dont care about potential. Right now Stephon Curry is doing something those guys couldn't. Bayless and Gordon couldn't carry their moretalented teams like this. Its funny that you think you cant compare these guys. Why? Give me a legit reason. Other than athleticism and maybe defense.

I agree about the height thing. Those are most of the time not legit. I was listed at 6'6 1/2 and Im 6'5. Most dudes I played against listed from6'5 to 6'8 were always a inch or two shorter. Some were even taller. Like Durant dude is 6'11 for real. Thabeet is I swear like 7'3 with noshoes and more like 7'4/ 7'5. Like I said though. Curry, Westbrook, Bayless, Gordon are going to have to handle the rock and play PG at the next level.Im just goin to see what happens when they get there. NBA and College are not the same.

This is not a correct statement. He has not been creating his own shot or he would be averaging 50 a game. He runs around screens until he gets the ball in scoring position. And one successful drive to the basket in three games doesn't make him a slasher. He is someone you just don't want to give any space to or you will pay.
I didn't say he has been handling the ball I said he CAN. But put the ball on the floor when yo keep gettin open looks off screens and ur pg is setin up open lovely

Salim stoudamire was a streak shooter. He does not have the pure jump shot curry does.

And yall might get at me for this but is Reggie Millers overall game that good? not in my opinion. He was the best jumpshooter in the history of the game. no contest, but he had average handle and no playmaking skill. He played with good point guards most of his career and he shined because of it.

you must be young....

1. Salim Stoudamire shot both 50% from the floor and from 3pt range his senior year....he was dealing with double and triple teams, but yet you call him a"streak shooter?"
laugh.gif

2. Yes, Travis Best and Haywood Workman made Reggie Miller....that is the reason he was so good.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I didn't say he has been handling the ball I said he CAN. But put the ball on the floor when yo keep gettin open looks off screens and ur pg is setin up open lovely

And yall might get at me for this but is Reggie Millers overall game that good? not in my opinion. He was the best jumpshooter in the history of the game. no contest, but he had average handle and no playmaking skill. He played with good point guards most of his career and he shined because of it.

you must be young....

1. Salim Stoudamire shot both 50% from the floor and from 3pt range his senior year....he was dealing with double and triple teams, but yet you call him a "streak shooter?"
laugh.gif

2. Yes, Travis Best and Haywood Workman made Reggie Miller....that is the reason he was so good.
i only have 10 mins til im outta here so this will be my last response.

Marc Jackson??? U must not have a good memory. and im 22 if that matters

what did salim shoot his 1st 3 yrs in college? people have standout seasons. Compare is shooting % for his frosh anf soph seasons to curry's and get backto me.

Oh and He's 6'3" 185, google it

I hope he makes it into the L, and I hope that whatever team drafts him gives his mom courtside seats.

Curry is NICE i think he could fair well in the NBA.

But for the record Salim > Curry. His senior year dude was ridiculous

I think he'll be a much better and more consistent version of Daniel Gibson once he gets in the NBA.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Reggie? Reggie Miller?

Stop it.

And he's not doin anything JJ couldn't do at the college level right now.

He'll become a better overall player then JJ though, but still...a role player on the next level

How could he not be better than JJ? Everybody's better than JJ in the league.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Bayless and Curry are about the same with creating their shots off the dribble. Again a better athlete. Better scorer? No. Proof is in the pudding.
Bayless is on another planet in terms of creating his own shot and attacking defenses off the dribble...
Salim stoudamire was a streak shooter. He does not have the pure jump shot curry does. Compare is shooting % for his frosh anf soph seasons to curry's and get back to me.
eek.gif
roll.gif
smh.gif
Are my eyes deceiving me right now? Tell me I'm not reading this... Salim shot 44 and 45% from deep his freshman and sophomoreyears... The hell is your point?

What Stephen Curry is doing right now is extremely entertaining, but yall dudes are OD'ing... Westbrook, Bayless, Gordon are consensus Top 10 picks if theyleft right now. They are all legitimate combo-guard prospects, highly explosive athletes, and are far superior to Curry off the dribble and getting off theirown shots. It's not even close.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride right now. But yall can bet your houses that when it comes time to declare for the draft this year, them other three dudes arenear the top half of the Lottery, and Stephen Curry won't even be leaving school early. And with good reason.
How could he not be better than JJ? Everybody's better than JJ in the league.
Don't think that was really his point... More along the lines of, what is Stephen Curry doing right now, that makes him a better prospect thanwhat JJ Redick was two years ago? Whatever it is, I'm not seein it.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Dont fall in to what the media wants you to believe.
The media wants me to believe he is the best thing I've ever seen.

And I'm not buyin that.

Bayless and Gordon will be better scorers on the next level...not even a question. Curry is not going to be a better scorer at the next level. He won't be able to score in the same ways...he is a role player, that in the right system can have a nice career, a very nice career.

Westbrook was doin fine at the point early this season, why do you think his stock is so high right now?

Curry is a better shooter than them...and really, that is it.

That is so meaningless...so meaningless
laugh.gif

3rd, Y'all OD'ing w/ all this Curry talk. Lets just enjoy what he is doing now...
Yeah..

While stats aren't everything, how exactly is it meaningless? Kid shoots at a hair below 49% from the field. He can run off screens or shoot off thedribble. Are you implying that because he doesn't slash through the lane a lot that he won't have a great career in the next level? I believe it wasMJ that said the most dangerous weapon a player can possess is a mid-range jumper 'cuz a player doesn't have to travel as far when slashing if he canpump fake the defender. Or you mad 'cuz he torched Georgetown for 30?

Or you mad 'cuz he torched Georgetown for 30?
laugh.gif
...why is this always brought up now...I can't voice asomewhat non positive opinion on him?

and on that fact, he shot 8-21 and 5-15 against us...far from torching.

Yes, the kid can shoot, midrange, longrange...kid puts the ball in the basket.

I LIKE his chances to be a very nice role player....he is not going to be a big time scorer...probably around 10 a game off the bench and will hit openshots...he won't create his own often

but no, he is not on the level as Westbrook, Bayless, or Gordon...like nowitness said

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

you must be young....

1. Salim Stoudamire shot both 50% from the floor and from 3pt range his senior year....he was dealing with double and triple teams, but yet you call him a "streak shooter?"
laugh.gif

i only have 10 mins til im outta here so this will be my last response.

Marc Jackson??? U must not have a good memory. and im 22 if that matters

what did salim shoot his 1st 3 yrs in college? people have standout seasons. Compare is shooting % for his frosh anf soph seasons to curry's and get back to me.

Oh and He's 6'3" 185, google it

you are young....Mark Jackson was Miller's PG for about 5 of his EIGHTEEN years in the league....I don't understand how you undermine ReggieMiller, and give most of the credit to his PG's? That's laughable.........and, because GOOGLE says Curry is 6'3", you're going to believeit
laugh.gif
? I've seen him listed as short at 6'1", and as tall as 6'3"...anyone who knows ANYTHING about college hoops understands thatheight/weight are fabricated....

Here's stoudamire's stats....

[table][tr][th=""]Season[/th] [th=""]GP[/th] [th=""]MPG[/th] [th=""]PPG[/th] [th=""]FG%[/th] [th=""]APG[/th] [th=""]RPG[/th] [th=""]BPG[/th] [th=""]SPG[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2004-2005[/td] [td]36[/td] [td]31.3[/td] [td]18.4[/td] [td]50.4[/td] [td]2.2[/td] [td]2.3[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]0.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2003-2004[/td] [td]29[/td] [td]32.0[/td] [td]16.3[/td] [td]45.2[/td] [td]3.0[/td] [td]2.7[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]0.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2002-2003[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]25.8[/td] [td]13.0[/td] [td]47.3[/td] [td]1.8[/td] [td]1.6[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]0.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2001-2002[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]30.0[/td] [td]12.8[/td] [td]44.3[/td] [td]1.1[/td] [td]2.1[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

I'm sorry....but, there ain't gonna be too many people who touch that 50% from the floor/arc in college hoops...Stoudamire was the best pure shooterbehind the arc that I have seen in college hoops....

Back
Top Bottom