Stephen Curry Jumpshot appreciation Vol. 2nd coming of Reggie?

You're right. He had a subpar shooting day...yet he still went for 30 against a great defense from the BEST TEAM in arguably the nation's TOUGHESTCONFERENCE. Then yesterday he shot 50% against, again, arguably the nation's BEST DEFENSE. Other than him not being a flashy player, what makes you thinkhe's not on par with the other three? Gordon and Bayless aren't even in the tournament anymore and they played teams with far less defensive prowessthan the teams Curry's seen.

These are the facts:

1. Nobody was jocking Stephen Curry right out of high school except people in NC, and hardcore high school basketball junkies.

2. Nearly all basketball fans heard about Curry during his freshman year at davidson, due to the fact that we was putting up strong numbers and he was DellCurry's son, but very few differentiated him from any other high scoring players last year (i.e. Morris Almond). Point is, there wasn't much hype.

3. Everybody heard about him dropping 30 in the NCAA's last year on MD, and the hype bandwagon began.

4. Davidson was not impressive early this season, although the played some top ranked teams pretty tough, they also had a couple bad losses. Point is, nobodywas making Stephen Curry appreciation posts after they lost to UNC-Charlotte, because he didn't look like the dominant player that he's been the last 2weeks.

5. Davidson got hot towards the end of the season and ran through their conference tournament and the Curry bandwagon started to grow stronger again. Mostbasketball heads thought Davidson would beat Gonzaga and lose to G-Town and Curry would drop 30+ in both games.

6. Curry shows out (as expected) against the Zags and Hoyas, but suprisingly carries them to victory against the latter. The hype grows to ridiculous levels ascasual basketball fans realize that he's a primetime performer.

So when people are saying where was all this Curry hype all season, they are right. There wasn't a lot of Curry hype this season. You might have known dudewas a baller, and you might have mentioned it, but everybody was too busy riding Hansbrough, Beasley, Rose, etc. to spend a lot of time jocking a 6'1 guardthat played in the Big South. Now that he's done major damage in the tournament the slurping has come to the forefront.

Bayless, Gordon and Westbrook - not about bein flashy

they are just better for the next level.

That's all I can say really.

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

These are the facts:

1. Nobody was jocking Stephen Curry right out of high school except people in NC, and hardcore high school basketball junkies.

2. Nearly all basketball fans heard about Curry during his freshman year at davidson, due to the fact that we was putting up strong numbers and he was Dell Curry's son, but very few differentiated him from any other high scoring players last year (i.e. Morris Almond). Point is, there wasn't much hype.

3. Everybody heard about him dropping 30 in the NCAA's last year on MD, and the hype bandwagon began.

4. Davidson was not impressive early this season, although the played some top ranked teams pretty tough, they also had a couple bad losses. Point is, nobody was making Stephen Curry appreciation posts after they lost to UNC-Charlotte, because he didn't look like the dominant player that he's been the last 2 weeks.

5. Davidson got hot towards the end of the season and ran through their conference tournament and the Curry bandwagon started to grow stronger again. Most basketball heads thought Davidson would beat Gonzaga and lose to G-Town and Curry would drop 30+ in both games.

6. Curry shows out (as expected) against the Zags and Hoyas, but suprisingly carries them to victory against the latter. The hype grows to ridiculous levels as casual basketball fans realize that he's a primetime performer.

So when people are saying where was all this Curry hype all season, they are right. There wasn't a lot of Curry hype this season. You might have known dude was a baller, and you might have mentioned it, but everybody was too busy riding Hansbrough, Beasley, Rose, etc. to spend a lot of time jocking a 6'1 guard that played in the Big South. Now that he's done major damage in the tournament the slurping has come to the forefront.

True Story...

/thread

Other than him not being a flashy player, what makes you think he's not on par with the other three? Gordon and Bayless aren't even in the tournament anymore and they played teams with far less defensive prowess than the teams Curry's seen.
Aside from the fact that all three are far superior athletes and infinitly more explosive off the dribble... They handle the ball and create offthe bounce better than Curry. They are better passers. All three have played more than their fair share of time at PG this year and had solid success,something Curry hasn't done. They are all better built physically to succeed at the next level. Curry isn't strong, he's got short arms...

We can go back and forth about this all day, but I'll ask you this... From a physical standpoint, what separates Stephen Curry from Salim Stoudamire and JJRedick?

curry is the smoothest shooter in college basketball history.

he's au-to-mat-ic.

curry's shot > reddick's.

case closed.

seriously, what will it take for you guys to recognize curry and give him the overwhelming props he deserves? will he have to win the national championship?

btw what he is doing in the tourney is the single greatest individual performance in the history of the ncaa tourney.

Originally Posted by J RAIN 23

he's au-to-mat-ic.

case closed.

seriously, what will it take for you guys to recognize curry and give him the overwhelming props he deserves? will he have to win the national championship?

btw what he is doing in the tourney is the single greatest individual performance in the history of the ncaa tourney.
indifferent.gif
roll.gif

Yes he will have to win the tournament to be more of a legend than any other small school scorer who torched a couple of big time programs in thetournament.

This is not the single greatest individual performance in ncaa tourney history unless you are 14 years old and your history of the ncaa tourney started lastyear.

Stephen Curry is gonna be like Daniel Gibson in the league. I know Ima put my money on dude in the 3 point contest though.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Other than him not being a flashy player, what makes you think he's not on par with the other three? Gordon and Bayless aren't even in the tournament anymore and they played teams with far less defensive prowess than the teams Curry's seen.
Aside from the fact that all three are far superior athletes and infinitly more explosive off the dribble... They handle the ball and create off the bounce better than Curry. They are better passers. All three have played more than their fair share of time at PG this year and had solid success, something Curry hasn't done. They are all better built physically to succeed at the next level. Curry isn't strong, he's got short arms...

We can go back and forth about this all day, but I'll ask you this... From a physical standpoint, what separates Stephen Curry from Salim Stoudamire and JJ Redick?

JJ Redick: No handles
Salim Stoudamire: Jury still out (I'll give you that much)

If Curry decides to stay all four years like someone stated already, then we can compare him to Salim. Or if he gets better like a lot of us expect, maybe wewon't have to. But I think we can all agree on this, when the bright lights turn on this kid is money and he plays at his best. That's an intangiblethat Gordon and Bayless haven't done, both of them were duds in the tourney. Westbrook meanwhile, hasn't lost, but has shot a combined 8-32 in threetournament games.

He's definitley appreciated. I don't expect him to do much on the next level, but I wouldn't bet against him.

That J is so smooth.

Hell naw.

Don't get me wrong dude can shoot. But he still needs balance to be able to hit. reggie could just twist and turn however he wanted and still hit. Reggieis a once in a lifetime talent shooting wise.

Plus Steph Curry is too short to be a SG in the league (at least a starting sg). I definetly think he will make it too the league tho but he gonna have to playpg.

Just look at reddick, he isn't getting any pt and he can flat out shoot.

Originally Posted by toine2983

Good Lord.

Stephen Curry is having a hell of a tournament run, but God give it a rest.
tired.gif

smh.gif
@ these bandwagon fans, where was the Stephen Curry jumpshot appreciation thread 2 months ago?

I'm REALLY suprised JRain didn't start this thread.
laugh.gif

Word.
laugh.gif
tired.gif

I love Curry's jumper, but no matter how well he does in this tournament, he'll still have the second best jumper in his household. Dell's jumperwas otherworldly.

Definitely a place for him on most NBA teams, word to Steve Kerr. You want a dude like him late in the game who can hit some threes to get you back into thegame or make free throws near the end when you're up.

i've seen stoudamire @ arizona and my fair share of curry this season, and curry has not shown he's better than stoudamire in any aspect of the game(on the offensive side at least).

stoudamire could handle the rock and create his own shot in college (sickest shot i've seen in years
sick.gif
), even while supposedly being shorter than curry(6-1 versus 6-3). he also played in a tougher conference than curry, one where each team plays another at least twice a season. i'm not saying it's themain reason, but the fact that these teams curry is torching in the tourney has never seen him before is a big reason hes going for 30+ a game. let him faceteams like gtown, ucla, kansas multiple times a season and let's see if he still averages that much.

Curry is alot more craftier with the ball than either JJ or Salim. Maybe not craftier than Salim but on par atleast when it comes to putting the ball on thefloor. There has plenty of times where he had to put the ball on the floor and made some pretty nice plays. He's not strictly a catch and shoot guy (rightnow).

The Daniel Gibson comparison is not a bad one...although Gibson is a little stronger physically.

he's au-to-mat-ic.

case closed.

hop-off.jpg

Originally Posted by jumpmantwenty3

i've seen stoudamire @ arizona and my fair share of curry this season, and curry has not shown he's better than stoudamire in any aspect of the game (on the offensive side at least).

stoudamire could handle the rock and create his own shot in college (sickest shot i've seen in years
sick.gif
), even while supposedly being shorter than curry (6-1 versus 6-3). he also played in a tougher conference than curry, one where each team plays another at least twice a season. i'm not saying it's the main reason, but the fact that these teams curry is torching in the tourney has never seen him before is a big reason hes going for 30+ a game. let him face teams like gtown, ucla, kansas multiple times a season and let's see if he still averages that much.
How can u say that for sure tho??? ... I don't see how anyone can say for that he'd wouldnt be doing this in a big conference.... if jj can dowhat he did in the acc you don't think curry could do well in a big conference?? He's been giving teams work all season this year and last year....yeahe plays in a smaller conference but it's still impressive....

AND why are people so quick to say he's nuthing like reggie miller in college...I'm pretty sure most of the people sayin that weren't old enuff towatch reggie miller in college...so how would u kno??...I'm not saying he's better than reggie or ne thing like that i'm just saying idk how youcan say ne thing about reggie in college...other than reggie was a shooter and 6'6 not 6'3 like curry...

if a dude like kev martin can survive, bein as skinny as he is.....curry can have a chance.

but kmart is 6-7 if that matters.

Originally Posted by presequel

if a dude like kev martin can survive, bein as skinny as he is.....curry can have a chance.

but kmart is 6-7 if that matters.

Being 6'7 matters alot. At his height he's going to be able to get his shot over most guards. At 6'2...Ellis is going to have to be craftyenough to get open because he aint gonna shoot over most guys. But he does have one of the quickest releases I've seen so that helps.

He'll have a career in the NBA...which is accomplishment all on his own coming from Davidson.

he's au-to-mat-ic.

case closed.

Jesus Christ.

Back
Top Bottom