TEAM AIR FORCE 1 VOL. 6 AKA STOP PM'ING US

Originally Posted by p5jay2

for those who are wondering what Mayor does (or used to do) for living,
interesting read

http://www.villagevoice.c...the-mayor-of-sneakerdom/
Nice article but a couple of things are note worthy.

His shoe collection, he estimates, is worth about $300,000. 

I'd say that his collection is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. Those $2K snake joints actually hit a few outlets a good 2-3 years after they initally dropped for 1/8th of their asking price. Plus the whole idea of a 'bespoke' is to have a 1 of 1 - who's gonna pay $820 on the resell market for someone else's creation/idea? 

Before going upstairs, he pulls a 1991 Air Force 1 from among the stacks. The shoe is black with a wine-colored swoosh. He lost his original pair from 1982, so this is the oldest pair he has got. "Tinker made these," he says, gazing admiringly. "I'm afraid to wear them."

Did Tinker really come up with that particular colourway? Or did Mayor forget that Bruce Kilgore was the man behind the AF1. Strikes me as odd that a guy like Mayor who claims to be one of the top AF1 heads doesn't even know who originally designed the AF1.

interesting read

Nice article but a couple of things are note worthy.

His shoe collection, he estimates, is worth about $300,000. 

I'd say that his collection is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. Those $2K snake joints actually hit a few outlets a good 2-3 years after they initally dropped for 1/8th of their asking price. Plus the whole idea of a 'bespoke' is to have a 1 of 1 - who's gonna pay $820 on the resell market for someone else's creation/idea? 

Before going upstairs, he pulls a 1991 Air Force 1 from among the stacks. The shoe is black with a wine-colored swoosh. He lost his original pair from 1982, so this is the oldest pair he has got. "Tinker made these," he says, gazing admiringly. "I'm afraid to wear them."

Did Tinker really come up with that particular colourway? Or did Mayor forget that Bruce Kilgore was the man behind the AF1. Strikes me as odd that a guy like Mayor who claims to be one of the top AF1 heads doesn't even know who originally designed the AF1.

Maybe his estimation is based on how much he thinks he's spent and no so much resell value.

Either way, it's an estimation.

Props to him for wearing everything, or at least attempting to.

Maybe his estimation is based on how much he thinks he's spent and no so much resell value.

Either way, it's an estimation.

Props to him for wearing everything, or at least attempting to.

Originally Posted by vood99

interesting read

I'd say that his collection is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. Those $2K snake joints actually hit a few outlets a good 2-3 years after they initally dropped for 1/8th of their asking price.

He was talking about the made to order pack. Those are all 1 of 1s and are worth 2k a piece easy. But hats besides the point. Apparently he doesn't own a shop that puts stereos in cars anymore. Now he is a "consultant" whatever the %+#% the means. Bottom line is the dude has a CRAZY Air Force collection. Nothing else really matters. 

interesting read

I'd say that his collection is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. Those $2K snake joints actually hit a few outlets a good 2-3 years after they initally dropped for 1/8th of their asking price.

He was talking about the made to order pack. Those are all 1 of 1s and are worth 2k a piece easy. But hats besides the point. Apparently he doesn't own a shop that puts stereos in cars anymore. Now he is a "consultant" whatever the %+#% the means. Bottom line is the dude has a CRAZY Air Force collection. Nothing else really matters. 

Originally Posted by golfinguru11

interesting read

I dunno fam, I see the joints that MFPearson, MNadel, Stuntman, illphil, BIP, 8tothe24 and some of the other OGs post in here and I'm blown away.

Kudos to Mayor for rockin' his 'limited' issue kicks though.

interesting read

I dunno fam, I see the joints that MFPearson, MNadel, Stuntman, illphil, BIP, 8tothe24 and some of the other OGs post in here and I'm blown away.

Kudos to Mayor for rockin' his 'limited' issue kicks though.

that article was written horribly, mayor is cool in my book and not much else can be said about his collection :smoking

that article was written horribly, mayor is cool in my book and not much else can be said about his collection :smoking

interesting read

It DOES matter a little bit. He's from humble beginnings, so that's fine. But, there are lots of things about who a collector is or how he/she acts that affect my opinion of him/her and the collection. For example, if you're just a rich kid buying thousand dollar shoes, or a celeb who amasses a crazy collection of hyped exclusive (not like DJ AM, for example), you get no respect. You're like one of those crazy European "writers" who pieces like crazy but has no handstyle and has never actually tagged. I'm not saying Mayor is one of those dudes, but how a collector behaves does influence my opinion of him and his collection. If I found out Jay Jones lived in his mom's basement, I'd lose a lot of respect for him and his collection - as is, so many of his pieces are so expensive that I actually think of him as something different than what I consider most of us to be.

To get optimum respect, IMO, you have to be a regular dude who lives within your means, works a normal job (can be fairly well paying), and have your overall life in order. You have to keep your passion but also keep things in perspective and you have to respect the history of things. These things matter in my book. That's just my book though... but I bet a lot of the heads in this thread agree.

Oh, and thanks for the props Vood.

interesting read

It DOES matter a little bit. He's from humble beginnings, so that's fine. But, there are lots of things about who a collector is or how he/she acts that affect my opinion of him/her and the collection. For example, if you're just a rich kid buying thousand dollar shoes, or a celeb who amasses a crazy collection of hyped exclusive (not like DJ AM, for example), you get no respect. You're like one of those crazy European "writers" who pieces like crazy but has no handstyle and has never actually tagged. I'm not saying Mayor is one of those dudes, but how a collector behaves does influence my opinion of him and his collection. If I found out Jay Jones lived in his mom's basement, I'd lose a lot of respect for him and his collection - as is, so many of his pieces are so expensive that I actually think of him as something different than what I consider most of us to be.

To get optimum respect, IMO, you have to be a regular dude who lives within your means, works a normal job (can be fairly well paying), and have your overall life in order. You have to keep your passion but also keep things in perspective and you have to respect the history of things. These things matter in my book. That's just my book though... but I bet a lot of the heads in this thread agree.

Originally Posted by BIP Roberts

Np BIP, you and illphil are one of the few rational/level-headed people on this forum.

After posting last night I went back to page 1 of this thread and I was reminded of why an OG AF1 completely obliterates some whack Bespoke or some $2000 Anaconda/Gator joint.  

Originally Posted by BIP Roberts

Np BIP, you and illphil are one of the few rational/level-headed people on this forum.

After posting last night I went back to page 1 of this thread and I was reminded of why an OG AF1 completely obliterates some whack Bespoke or some $2000 Anaconda/Gator joint.  

lol BIP throwin jabs at the EU writers. they were the first with access to a wide array of colors back in the day. blows my mind that you can buy pretty much and color and any kind of cap nowadays. damn rich kids will never know the joys of racking cans or discovering a new cap. yes i'm salty.

Back
Top Bottom