TEAM PENNY is LIVE!!! - We made it to 100

^
You and me both!!!
I need a size 11,

anyone......?
smile.gif

Well as promised I also have to fulfill the membership requirements.

Hi everyone! I'm Jared from the suburbs of Orlando, FL. I was born here and have lived here the entire 25 years of my life.

Penny Hardaway is a special guy to me. He was the hometown hero. He along with Shaq, Nick, Bowie. Grant, D3, and a bunch of other guys took us from being a newfranchise to the top of the league.

Unfortunately we've never won it all, but both times we've been to the finals I don't believe we played with the same heart that got us so far. Bigups to the Rockets and the Lakers.

Anyways....I had kind of a strange childhood. My family did not own a TV until I was in high school. So to be honest with you guys I haven't seen as muchof him playing as I would have liked to. I do know that he was a special player though. The guy had talent and could just flat out play ball.

My grandma got me the entire uniform (jersey & shorts) for my birthday one year. I believe that same year my dad took me to my first NBA game. It was ahome game vs the Washington Bullets. As we all know they sucked back then and the Magic took home the victory. I still have the uniform set and the ticketswhich I'll post later.

Now back to not having a TV. I would rush home from school and the first thing I would do is head straight to the computer. I had to check if there was a gameon that night. Afterwards I would proceed to playing hours of NBA Hangtime on the PC with my younger sister. She would always play with Reggie Miller and Iwould always be Penny. My fave move was coming down the sideline and busting a double spin move followed by the corner 3 ball. Money everytime!

By now my parents would be home and start cracking down on me not having my homework done yet. So now it was gametime and I'd be sent to my room to dohomework. I would turn on the AM radio and listen to the game while doing my homework and trying to actually learn something at the same time. I would sitthere during games and just imagine in my head what was going on. The radio analysts would have me sitting on the edge of my seat just waiting to hear whatwould happen next. I had a sony boombox and any games I thought were important I would record on cassette tapes. lol Not sure why I did this cuz I don'tthink I ever listened to them again. I would always tape games when they played the Lakers, Rockets, and I think Miami.

Also for Christmas one year I got a basketball hoop. I would spend hours outside pretending to be Penny or Jordan (although it didn't help my game todaylol) just going through the moves and trying to mimic what I thought they might do. I remember during the playoffs in 1994 my parents let me go to theneighbors house to watch the games. Living through the Penny and Shaq glory days is prob my fave thing from my childhood.

Everyone throughout the entire city had a Penny jersey. You couldn't go one day to school without seeing at least 15 of them. If you didn't have onethen you just weren't a cool kid.

Whenever I would go buy shoes for school I would always get something besides Jordan shoes. I always talked my sister into getting Jordans, but I never did tilhigh school for some reason. There was just something much more appealing to them for me. The first Penny shoe that dropped had me going crazy. I remembercoming home from school and rushing to the mailbox to check if a new Eastbay mag had been sent out. I always circled or cut out anything I wanted. You had tobe the first kid to bring it to school the next day too. It was just something you did. Anyways so the Orlando Penny 1 dropped and I didn't get them. Fewmonths later my friend is over at my house and we pulled out a phonebook. We searched the letter S for the word Shoes. Once we found it we called EVERY singlestore listed in the Orlando area. Took like 4 hours and we came up with nothing.

Next year comes along and I finally got some Penny's; Atlantic II's. I had those for a couple weeks and something went wrong. Took them back to SportsAuthority and to my disappointment they were sold out. I had to exchange them for the white/blk leathers. I also still have those to this day which arepictured below.

Anyways there is soooooo much more I could say about Penny and his kicks but this was just a taste of my childhood and why I like him. I might add some morelater, but for now just enjoy these pics...

Wide shot

Newspaper clippings collage I made prob 10 years ago.

Group shot

Penny jersey is size 40 and not for sale. I will trade for a 44 if anyone needs a smaller size though.

Also for the die hard penny fans out there, yesterday my love for Penny lead me to create a web forum all about Penny. All you have to do is head over thereand sign up and I'll approve you within 24 hrs. It's a yuku site so it won't be much hassle as your login should be the same. Just think of thesite as a categorized version of this thread.

Show off and talk all about Penny shoes, gear, memorabilia and pictures.

http://teampenny.yuku.com/

MODS - If there is a problem with posting this just lmk and I'll edit this out.

nice stuff jared..my turn
wink.gif

i was a HUGE knicks fan. i bleed blue and orange. my "basketball life" started around the time the knicks battled the bulls in the eastern finalsand the bulls always came on top. then shaq gets drafted by the magic. i was heavily into collecting basketball cards back then so rookie cards were all therage. i was really intrigued by draft picks and seeing them perform with their new teams. so the year penny got drafted comes. and its all about chriswebber. i loved watching the fab five play and i really didnt know much about other college teams or players. anfrenee wasnt really known until he got tradedfor webber (which shocked everyone). my friend and i would play pickup games and try to role play which draft picks we were gonna follow for the year. i waswebber and he was penny that season LOL. so since i knew he was gonna copy pennys game, i watched how penny played. then came the shoes. i had the penny airups with the old school #1 logo. the webber air maxes were much more expensive and royal blue was my fave color so even if i was webber, i went with pennyskicks. then my friend cops the penny max 1s and i go
eek.gif
. at that point, ipromised myself that if pennys kicks the following season would be hot, then id cop in a heartbeat. then the penny max 2 ads show up in magazines..you know,the one similar to the AJ concord 11s ad with the white background and a phone number to call (how many remember?) i was officially sold. i got the replicajersey and shorts to match.
i was officially a penny fan. i followed his stats and then came his finals berth. i really wanted them to win especially coz i hated the rockets for beatingmy knicks the year prior. but nick anderson choked and that was that. then came what i think was the pinnacle of pennys career (the 1st round playoff serieswhere he was "the man" after shaq left) avg 40 ppg that series i believe. after that season, things were never the same. he goes to phoenix wherei thought he looked out of place in that purple jersey. but then comes his knick career. awesome choice..fave team..fave (at the time) player. too bad itdidnt work out. i ahve a feeling his story isnt done just yet though..but well see.
as far as collecting his shoes..well i mentioned how it started..the rest as they say is history:

my half cent "origins" tribute:

additions after the group pics:

i still have my penny replica and my basketball cards.
i would like a royal pinstripe authentic jersey as well as a lil penny doll. a mcfarlane figure wouldnt hurt either but i would probably need to get onecustom made
frown.gif

my penny grails would probably be the nike air lambaste and i forget the name of the other nike shoe but i know what it looks like (edit with nameforthcoming).

^
Dope stuff bro!!!

You just reminded me about all my basketball cards and my Starting Line Up Figure I have..
A McFarlane figure would be dope!

Glad to see this has truley blown into a team! I will def contribute by loading pics later on today and to all the members posting ............
2417164282_3cedc64029.jpg

**Applying 4 Membership**

My father has been a Knicks fan since i was born and growing up to be honest i wasnt watching basketball games everyday when I was home. It wasnt until i sawthese shoes that appeared to be from mars (foams) that I started to wonder who Penny Haradway really was. Jordans were everywhere and there was so much othersneakers hitting but these are what were popping up more and more. Eventhough i wasnt the most knowledgable person of the game of basketball I liked the gamebut didnt follow as hard espeacilally after the jordan reign was over. I would always catch knicks games because of my pops but my team was the Nets, of coarsebecause Jersey!! As he was on the suns I didnt notice him as the star he was to my older friends (which is how i got my first penny jersey from a friend who iguess you can say fell a penny short
grin.gif
).This is when i researcehed theman behind the #1. The commercials, More shoes that all apeared to be more complex and admirable then the dunks i was wearing, and lil penny all drove me intoadmiring Hardaway as more than a player but everytime he came on it didnt matter what! i was interested. Years passed and Penny and Malbury were on the knicks!A dream team to my father for the championship New York has been in need of! It was the game between them and the Nets in the playoffs I was actually convincedI was more a Penny fan than a nets fan.

PICS sooooon to come***

Melon, u killed it with that post. great collection.

Off from work 2morrow, gonna dig thru some things & find my Penny stuff from younger days & maybe some pics from back in the day.

Mod- P1mpjuce is from NY if you wanted to update that with everyone elses. i see they have there state. From a lil' town called Plattsburgh.

Originally Posted by penny4president

Abernja, I have dropped mad Penny knowledge and correxcted those who dont know him well, I have everyone of his kicks and Jerseys from Orlando, Phoenix, New York & Miami...EVEN his Memphis State jersey.I was inhisFan Clubas a Kid and have one of his wristbands from a Knick game as well as numerous old '90s Shirts and new Lil Penny ones too. Am I in Team Penny or What???

and now you got a white magic procut as well my dude
pimp.gif
this man has thesickest penny collection i've ever seen

let me know if you need help posting the pics of your stuff.

Packersgotme:
enlightening story bro, I am looking forward to the pics of your collection my dude!

Sadly not much heat here.. My Penny 4's are completley cooked at my girls crib, and mynewwest cop, knicks 1's should be here soooon. I was scammed formy blue foams not too long ago....
smh.gif
and sold Eggplantsand dr dooms as well. Been waiting for awhile for white penny 3s and miami penny 2s to hit clearances/outlet rack by me but I Will Def updateas things start rolling in!!

a65155eb75a9f7ac905889cebd553b81015e3dc.pjpg

nice posts everyone.

hit up Aber's team Penny forum. its a place for all things Penny related. show your stuff off, trades, FS, buying, pics vids. Let's get it all.

MELON,

Nice signatures for your pics. Maybe you, or who you had do those, could help us set up a logo for Team Penny? The Team AMFAM T's are fresh, Why not showoff our team?

I only have 3 pairs of Penny Hardaway shoes..But they are among my top 5 in terms of shoes all time! The creation and design of these were so amazing.
Definitely second best signature line to Jordan all time. I'm missing my Penny 1s
ohwell.gif

My favorite shoe all time!

check ebay for that magazine. i got it from a dude in england, for 8$ total. great steal IMO

Back
Top Bottom