Thank you for helping NikeTalk donate $10,000 to Operation Smile!

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
It's been just over a month now since we set up shop here on our new and vastly improved website, yet we still have some unfinished business regarding our former stomping grounds.  Much of it, obviously, is negative:  Yuku and CrowdGather are continuing their assault against common sense and the will of their own users by shamelessly re-purposing your old posts, without your express consent, for use on a slapdash knock-off site they've dubbed "SneakerTalk," and they've even sunk so low as to insert the words "Nike Talk" in their page titles to further mislead visitors, but that's a conversation for another day. 

The type of unfinished business we'll be discussing today is entirely positive:

We have about $40,000 in previously unannounced donations covering most of 2012 to date.  Rather than discuss them all at once, we'll make one announcement each week or so until we're caught up, which will allow us to really focus on the great work that each charity performs.  

As we're discussing unfinished business, it seems apropos that the first announcement in this series will focus on the fulfillment of an old promise.  

Back in 2009, we decided to celebrate NikeTalk's 10th anniversary by revisiting all of our previous donations to that point and asking our fellow members to select one of those organizations as the recipient of a new $10,000 donation:  http://niketalk.com/t/215248/congra...-10-000-10th-anniversary-donation-update-2-20

The HSUS received an incredible show of support from many of their passionate, dedicated supporters and wound up securing the $10,000 donation for their wonderful and deserving End Dogfighting Campaign (which has since evolved into "Pets For Life.")

While we were thrilled to contribute, some of our users felt a little disappointed that our runner up, Operation Smile, missed out.  

Ever since, we've been looking forward to the opportunity to make an equally substantial contribution to Operation Smile.  Earlier this year, we did exactly that.  

In the grand scheme of things, $10,000 may not change the world.  It can, however, change lives.  

Every three minutes, a child is born with a cleft lip or cleft palate.  Many children suffering from this condition experience difficulty eating, speaking, and hearing.  Some are even ostracized by their peers due to their appearance.  Fortunately, most cases are highly treatable and, for as little as $240, a surgical procedure can help these children lead healthier, happier lives.  

Perhaps the best way to appreciate Operation Smile's work is to experience the smiles that are their namesake and legacy: 

It's amazing to think that, for less than the price of that new Air Jordan VI/VII Olympic package, we can, instead, make a smile like these possible.  I think you'll agree that these moments are far more golden than anything you'll find in a shoe box.

For more before and after pictures like these, as well as detailed information about the charity, check out Operation Smile's website.  

Thanks again to all of you for your continued support of the NikeTalk community.  Your visits make donations like these possible.  

For more information about NikeTalk's donations, as well as a list of all donations to date, check out the charity section of our website:  http://niketalk.com/a/community-contributions-to-date

Heart warming.

Great to know that there are organizations out there doing this type of work and that our community is helping to support them.

Hats off to Meth, Nelson C, the NT staff and my fellow member for making a positive impact in the real world.

:nthat:

Last edited:
Awesome!

Turn off adblock and keep clicking ads!
We'd get in trouble with AdSense et al. if we encouraged people to click just for the sake of clicking, so we have to be very careful there - but certainly disabling or creating an exception for AdBlocking software is a big help.  

We're trying our best to make the ads you see as relevant and interesting as possible, so if anyone has any suggestions for desired sponsors or anything like that feel free to send me, or any member of our team, a PM.  

The better these things perform, the more money we'll have to give to wonderful causes like Operation Smile.  I've yet to see the numbers from our first month on the new platform, but this site is costlier to run than the old one and we're working our hardest to make that investment pay off for you, our fellow members, and for the charities we hope to support. 
Hats off to Meth, Nelson C, the NT staff and my fellow member for making a positive impact in the real world.
These donations are always a TRUE community achievement.  None of us could do something like this individually.  (Well, some of us could sell off our sneaker collections, I suppose.)  Together, we can make contributions like these a reality on a fairly regular basis, and that truly speaks to the power of COMMUNITY.  

Obviously a $10,000 donation takes some forethought, as it takes time for us to save that up, but even though the scale of our upcoming announcements is a little smaller the organizations involved are all truly remarkable in their own right and I hope you'll find them more than deserving of our support. 

We'll also be doing a new round of voting for our Kiva.org community account soon, too, so stay tuned!

It's amazing to think that, for less than the price of that new Air Jordan VI/VII Olympic package, we can, instead, make a smile like these possible.  I think you'll agree that these moments are far more golden than anything you'll find in a shoe box.
smile.gif

Proud to be a member of Niketalk! 
nthat.gif

So on average, a surgery costs $240.

In '07 we donated $2000. (That's give or take 8 kids)

With this $10000 donation, we're helping possibly 40 children.

Wow.

Turn off adblock and keep clicking ads!
We'd get in trouble with AdSense et al. if we encouraged people to click just for the sake of clicking, so we have to be very careful there - but certainly disabling or creating an exception for AdBlocking software is a big help.
No doubt, Meth, didn't mean it in a reckless sense.
Instead of going straight to some webshops, I use NT's ad links to shops instead.

Stuff like this really makes me proud to be a member of Niketalk.  Meth and the rest of the staff, keep up the great work.

Back
Top Bottom