The 2012 NFL Draft Thread, 4/26 8EST/5PST Vikings are on the clock

And some of this stuff is smoke screens this close to the draft. Not buying half of it anymore.

The agent for Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict confirmed that his client has not been invited to any pre-draft team visits.

We're tracking all pre-draft meetings closely, and haven't so much as seen Burfict scheduled for a private workout. "I am a little bit worried," said Burfict's high school coach, Matt Logan. "I just don’t know if he’s listening to anybody right now." The same series of events happened with Florida S Will Hill last year. Hill went undrafted and didn't even get a camp invite.

Yikes.

From overrated to extremely underrated in a month.

laugh.gif
Laurent Robinson, Mike Thomas, Lee Evans, and Blaine Gabbert

theone2401 wrote:
laugh.gif
Laurent Robinson, Mike Thomas, Lee Evans, and Blaine Gabbert

That's lightyears better than Mike Thomas, Cecil Shorts, Jason Hill, Jarrett Dilliard and Chastin West. I'd pretty much guarantee that either Blackmon or Floyd will be a Jag as well.

IMO, Blackmon is as good as any wr prospect I have seen coming out. I still want the vikes to land him.

I think the Browns are trolling and are gonna pick Blackmon. If you're them wouldn't you rather grab Blackmon at 4 and then take either Doug Martin or Lamar Miller with their other 1st rounder? If they take Richardson they would probably be stuck taking Hill or Randle with that other 1st, that wouldn't solve any of their passing problems. If you grab Blackmon and Martin/Miller you've got your #1 WR and RB of the future locked up. Then they could take a flyer on Weeden with their 2nd and reunite him and Blackmon.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

I think the Browns are trolling and are gonna pick Blackmon. If you're them wouldn't you rather grab Blackmon at 4 and then take either Doug Martin or Lamar Miller with their other 1st rounder? If they take Richardson they would probably be stuck taking Hill or Randle with that other 1st, that wouldn't solve any of their passing problems. If you grab Blackmon and Martin/Miller you've got your #1 WR and RB of the future locked up. Then they could take a flyer on Weeden with their 2nd and reunite him and Blackmon.
Isnt Martin / Miller a reach at 22 though?

i take Richardson at 4 and the Best WR on the board at 22 , dont waste a pick on weeden, hes 29 and would only be a stop gap for 2-3 years. 

If they take Richardson they would probably be stuck taking Hill or Randle with that other 1st, that wouldn't solve any of their passing problems.

I think that's actually a good turn-out; and that would help our offense a lot.

I agree though, there are smoke-screens and trolling - like bringing Tannehill in for a workout (
laugh.gif
) just to boost his stock up and trying to slip down a pick and still grabbing Richardson.

I still have them going with Richardson with the 4th, and snatching Hill by trading down to about the 18th or 19th.

That's my guess.

The question becomes which prospect has the biggest drop off from them to the next best player.

Blackmon to Wright, Randle, Jeffery,Floyd
Or Trent to Martin, Miller, Wilson, etc.

Which one is deeper and will allow you to maximize the 2 picks, should they both be spent on RB & WR

It's gotta be more of a drop-off at the RB position, Dre. I would not spend the #22 on either Miller or Martin. Both second-rounders for me. What if Cleveland could somehow get Trent and Kendall Wright? Dream come true for Browns fans.

Originally Posted by dreClark

The question becomes which prospect has the biggest drop off from them to the next best player.

Which one is deeper and will allow you to maximize the 2 picks, should they both be spent on RB & WR
this.

the gap between Trent and Martin/miller/etc is huge compared to this WR class

Great point. I believe the WR's have a bigger dropoff. But thats mainly because I believe there are a number of future #1 backs in this draft as opposed to #1 WR's.

Originally Posted by Caerus

Great point. I believe the WR's have a bigger dropoff. But thats mainly because I believe there are a number of future #1 backs in this draft as opposed to #1 WR's.

This. 
Blackmon and Floyd are the only potential #1 receivers in this draft, Alshon could maybe be one if he really stays in shape and is focused. Kendall Wright and Sanu I think will be awesome #2's, Stephen Hill has huge boom or bust potential, and I don't see how the hell people are giving Rueben damn Randle 1st round looks. Richardson is going to be awesome, but Doug Martin, Miller and Wilson all could be starting RB's this season, and Polk, Pead, Turbin, Pierce and Poole all have the potential to be starting RB's or atleast fill in for the starter in front of them if he went down. Then you have guys like LMJ and Hillman that could be great change of pace Sproles type backs. If the Browns draft Blackmon and Martin/Miller in the 1st round and Weeden in the 2nd, they could potentially have the 3 new leaders of their offense. They need that big go-to receiver for their offense, just drafting Randle or Hill sure as hell isn't going to help much, and Wright probably won't make it to 22. Having Trent Richardson with those receivers sounds a lot like the Vikings recipe for craptastic seasons around their great RB.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Originally Posted by Caerus

This. 
Blackmon and Floyd are the only potential #1 receivers in this draft, Alshon could maybe be one if he really stays in shape and is focused. Kendall Wright and Sanu I think will be awesome #2's, Stephen Hill has huge boom or bust potential, and I don't see how the hell people are giving Rueben damn Randle 1st round looks. Richardson is going to be awesome, but Doug Martin, Miller and Wilson all could be starting RB's this season, and Polk, Pead, Turbin, Pierce and Poole all have the potential to be starting RB's or atleast fill in for the starter in front of them if he went down. Then you have guys like LMJ and Hillman that could be great change of pace Sproles type backs. If the Browns draft Blackmon and Martin/Miller in the 1st round and Weeden in the 2nd, they could potentially have the 3 new leaders of their offense. They need that big go-to receiver for their offense, just drafting Randle or Hill sure as hell isn't going to help much, and Wright probably won't make it to 22. Having Trent Richardson with those receivers sounds a lot like the Vikings recipe for craptastic seasons around their great RB.

the issue for Weeden though is his age, hes 28 now, by mid season his 29, so now you literally have a 2-4 year window of QB , considering if he gets it from day 1, now what if he doesnt? what if he struggles (hes a rookie QB) so you give him this year, next year, and before you know it hes 32 and your in the market for a QB already after 3 or so years.

plus i want them to give Colt a chance
laugh.gif
idk why
laugh.gif

Good mernin' NT. Interesting tidbit from SI's Peter King from his Monday Morning QB online column from Gil Brandt. Link to post here.

Stat of the Week
This from the mind of the great Gil Brandt:

Amazing the bust factor at linebacker in the last 10 years. Brandt tipped me onto this, and he's absolutely right: Look at the top 10 picks in the draft from 2001 to 2010. Six have been linebackers (if you count Terrell Suggs as a defensive end). The six are A.J. Hawk, Ernie Sims, Keith Rivers, Jerod Mayo, Aaron Curry and Rolando McClain. One of the six has made a Pro Bowl -- Mayo -- and he's made just one. Rivers was traded to the Giants for a pittance of a fifth-round pick on Friday. Curry was dealt from Seattle to the Raiders for a seventh-rounder last year. The Eagles gave up a fifth-round pick for Sims in 2010; he's an unsigned free agent now. Hawk and McClain have been pedestrian at best in Green Bay and Oakland, respectively.

One Pro Bowl linebacker picked in a decade in the top 10 of the draft. Contrast that to defensive linemen: Twenty-six were picked in the top 10 of the draft from 2001 to 2010 -- obviously counting Suggs as a defensive end -- and those 26 have made 29 Pro Bowls.

we need GMs for the following teams, for anyone that is interested in doing the mock:

chiefs
steelers
falcons

Cool story on Bama's Trent Richardson on ESPN Sunday about taking cancer survivor & Bama fan Courtney Alvis to her prom. Link here.

Back
Top Bottom