The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

with the amount of hype Anthony Davis is gathering from NBA experts, the New Orleans Pelicans better make the playoffs or at least finish with more than 45 wins.
And if he's the 3rd best player in the league he should probably put up better numbers (besides blocks, yes he's definitely the best shot blocker) this year than guys like Al Jefferson, Cousins, Griffin, Love. Because he didn't last year....

He ran the floor catching lobs and rebounding against the scrub teams of FIBA and this has suddenly catapulted him into a top 3 player in the NBA?

Not smart though.

Kyrie has the max.

Love is gonna get a massive deal.

Bron will too.

Giving TT 4 year 48M which is rumored doesn't make any ******* sense.

Nope, not smart at all. But it was probably a part of Bron coming back. Rich Paul making sure his guys get taken care of. I personally would call Bron's bluff because I don't think that he has the gall to leave twice, with Tristan Thompson not getting a max being the turning point.

These rankings are based on next season's expectations. A lot of people felt like Davis would be the 3rd best player in the league this season, so its not like this comes as a surprise. Being that he's the only other Western Conference player in the top 10 without another top 40 player on his team, its a little unfair to say he should have the Pelicans in the playoffs this year. There's a chance they can make it, but you're talking about a team that have injury prone players in a tough conference.

Paul has Griffin (vice versa)
Russ has Durant and Ibaka

Go into the top 10 and you have..

Curry has Klay
Harden has Dwight (vice versa)

ANT's next best player is Jrue and he came in a #68 and probably won't be any better than top 50. :lol: . It would be a different story if he was placed in the East, but the West has 8 well established veteran playoff teams with 2-3 teams looking from the outside in.

Using that type of judgment...what should his ranking be if he cannot lead the Pelicans to the playoffs? How do you define that? I thought the ranking would be based on the ability of the player.

Last edited:
They need to chill on the superstar hype and just let the kid develop. Don't need to be setting these ridiculous expectations for him.  He should be ranked somewhere in the 10-15 range IMO

I think Davis is going to be good, like really good, the foundation is already there, but they are giving him too much credit too soon. I mean I don't think he is number three yet, not a strong enough body of work. I guess if you have a marketing machine behind you that bumps you up a few notches and the shortfalls, like missing the playoffs, or not even getting your team legitimately in the hunt for the playoffs are overlooked. But he will get his team there eventually so maybe that is what they are banking on.

Last edited:
I fully understand it takes a team to make it to the playoffs. you have to have at least some talent around you to be successful.

With that said, holiday, gordon, Evans and Asik should be enough talent (assuming they're healthy) to at least vie for a playoff spot.

I mean, just 2 years ago james harden lead the rockets to the playoffs without dwight. Dirk almost did it at 34 with OJ mayo as his 2nd option.

There's talent on the Pelicans roster. I just don't know if it fits together nor do I think Monty Williams will able to harness it. And it may not even matter, because the West is just that deep in talent.

Shield your eyes, AntiDope.

Last edited:
I fully understand it takes a team to make it to the playoffs. you have to have at least some talent around you to be successful.

With that said, holiday, gordon, Evans and Asik should be enough talent (assuming they're healthy) to at least vie for a playoff spot.

I agree. If Davis really is the 3rd best player in the league -- and a two way player at that -- then he should be able to get the Pelican's into the playoffs, despite how loaded the West is. Not to say that I don't think AD is great, I just agree that the 3 ranking is a little high right now. But whatever. At the end of the day any media generated rankings are basically meaningless and just designed to fill space and get people talking.

I just want to know how an individual ranking is defined because you could look at any of the top 5-10 players and see weaknesses in their games or their inability to surpass expectations every year. Everyone from Durant to Russ to Paul to Griffin.

Nope, not smart at all. But it was probably a part of Bron coming back. Rich Paul making sure his guys get taken care of. I personally would call Bron's bluff because I don't think that he has the gall to leave twice, with Tristan Thompson not getting a max being the turning point.

Lol

These rankings are based on next season's expectations. A lot of people felt like Davis would be the 3rd best player in the league this season, so its not like this comes as a surprise. Being that he's the only other Western Conference player in the top 10 without another top 40 player on his team, its a little unfair to say he should have the Pelicans in the playoffs this year. There's a chance they can make it, but you're talking about a team that have injury prone players in a tough conference.

Curry has Klay

ANT's next best player is Jrue and he came in a #68 and probably won't be any better than top 50. :lol: . It would be a different story if he was placed in the East, but the West has 8 well established veteran playoff teams with 2-3 teams looking from the outside in.

Using that type of judgment...what should his ranking be if he cannot lead the Pelicans to the playoffs? How do you define that? I thought the ranking would be based on the ability of the player.

AD also plays in by far the toughest division, too. Sixteen games against Memphis, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. Normally, each division has a least one doormat. The Pelicans are the doormat by default. Add in the Western Conference as a whole, and it's much tougher to make the playoffs with only one star player.

Curry has Klay

Quality post on AD. Agree on everything.

Come home Throb
laugh.gif

Maybe he will end up in New Orleans with all of the other ex-Kings from 2-3 years ago

Y'all didn't see the AD hype train coming from a mile away. Called this.

Espn had Harden as the 4th best player in last years ranking and Kyrie at #8.

AD is the goods, the media is trying to push him though. Even if he improves marginally...y'all will turn on him. He's more like a top 10-15 guy honestly.

LOL. "Turning on him" would be stupid. Kid will likely have legitimate claim at the #1 spot at some point if his development continues.

LOL. "Turning on him" would be stupid. Kid will likely have legitimate claim at the #1 spot at some point if his development continues.

nah. especially being a 4/5. nah. todays game is manufactured to showcase the 2/3 position. Dude is good and will get better, but #1? nope. Last big guy that was a #1 was shaq. There will not come a time where AD is the #1 guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom