The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
no clue what to make of this donovan hire. great college coach. but does he translate to the pro's?

When you look at the track record of big name college coaches who have tried to jump to the NBA, it's pretty iffy. Pitino, Calapar both failed in the pros. Brad Stevens seems to be more the exception than the rule.

mad.gif
indifferent.gif
mean.gif

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/2...ris-crittenton

Quote:
Former NBA player Javaris Crittenton pleaded guilty to manslaughter Wednesday, admitting in an Atlanta courtroom to his role in the 2011 shooting death of a mother of four. He faces a 23-year prison sentence.

Prior to his involvement in two August 2011 Atlanta-area shootings, the second of which left Julian Jones, 22, dead, Crittenton was best known to most NBA fans for his role in the infamous confrontation with former Washington Wizards teammate Gilbert Arenas in which both players admitted to pulling out guns in the locker room.

Jury selection for Crittenton's murder trial wrapped up Tuesday, and opening arguments were scheduled to begin Wednesday before Crittenton suddenly changed course and pleaded guilty.

Crittenton played alongside Dwight Howard in high school at Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy and later became a standout at Georgia Tech.

Prosecutors were preparing to introduce evidence that he joined a street gang his rookie year in the NBA.

Shortly after becoming the 19th overall pick in 2007 and signing a contract with the Los Angeles Lakers for $2.6 million in guaranteed money, Crittenton joined the West Los Angeles street gang known as the Mansfield Gangster Crips.

On Wednesday, Crittenton admitted in court to being a gang member in a tearful guilty plea in which he apologized to Jones' family.

Prosecutors were preparing to introduce evidence that Crittenton was aiming for a man, a rival gang member who allegedly robbed him days earlier, and that he shot Jones instead, who was an innocent bystander.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...shooting-death
Former NBA player Javaris Crittenton pled guilty to manslaughter in the 2011 shooting death of a 22-year-old mother of 4 ... and was sentenced to 23 years in prison.

As we previously reported, Crittenton -- a 1st round pick in the 2007 NBA Draft -- was initially charged with murder for killing Julian Jones in a drive-by shooting in Atlanta.

But Crittenton struck a deal with prosecutors in which he agreed to plead guilty to the lesser voluntary manslaughter with a weapon charge and aggravated assault with a firearm. In exchange, prosecutors dropped the murder charge and Crittenton got 23 years in the clink.

During the hearing, Javaris apologized for the killing -- started to cry -- and said it was all a terrible mistake.

In the past, officials said they believed Javaris was out for retaliation against a rival gang member on the day of the shooting ... but ended up shooting Jones instead, who had just put her kids to bed.

no clue what to make of this donovan hire. great college coach. but does he translate to the pro's?

He'll bring good defensive schemes and as we saw with Brooks, you don't have to even have a plan on offense when you have Russ and KD. :lol:
yeah that is true. will be interesting to see how this plays out.

When you look at the track record of big name college coaches who have tried to jump to the NBA, it's pretty iffy. Pitino, Calapar both failed in the pros. Brad Stevens seems to be more the exception than the rule.
main reason I'm hesitant on college coaches going pro. Stevens is the exception since the man is a downright genius. although the other guys are great collegiate coaches, i dont think they just have the basketball mind that Stevens has cultivated.

If Pitino and Calipari had two top 5 players...they may have fared differently.

Last edited:
crittenton stuff is so tragic. had a bright future and he foolishly let it get away. 0 need to join a gang when you're in the nba. hell 0 need to join a gang period.

^^^^

Yea I read about when the story first broke some time ago, he was one of the young players I had my eye on, thought he was gonna be a good play in LA but I knew he was on the wrong path after Gilbert incident.

Best thing that could have happened to wiggins was going to Minnesota. I'm not trying to watch him stand in the corner and shoot 3s. And there would have been zero playmaking opportunities next to lebron and myrie

LeBron AKA GM of the century didn't see the vision. He wanted a "better" version of Miami with 3 max cats and perennial All-stars out the gate

It wasn't even that simple, he didn't wanna keep Wiggins because Wiggins didn't sign to Bron's agency with Rich Paul like he wanted him too.

That's the only reason why he isn't there, because Bron couldn't profit off of him the rest of his career.

Which is even more stupid because if they won rings, Bron's getting more money regardless.

Best thing that could have happened to wiggins was going to Minnesota. I'm not trying to watch him stand in the corner and shoot 3s. And there would have been zero playmaking opportunities next to lebron and myrie

It definitely is the better situation for him to be a number one option, he still won.

LeBron sometimes does these things that make you scratch your head. Like he really expected the highest rated prospect since himself to willingly become his pawn. Its like he thinks hes the end all be all of basketball sometimes

LeBron sometimes does these things that make you scratch your head. Like he really expected the highest rated prospect since himself to willingly become his pawn. Its like he thinks hes the end all be all of basketball sometimes

Ever since he came back to Cleveland he been tryna play God, even as a lifelong fan I can condone a lot of the **** he's done.

Guess I'm fitting out.

Once I read about Raymone recruiting _'s through text saying "Hey, this is King James"...it was a wrap.

Wouldn't surprise me if people in his circle call him that **** too. 

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom