The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand people not being sold on Memphis for certain reasons, but you cannot compare them to a team like Portland from last season. Memphis is definitely legit and can beat anyone in the West. Portland lacked depth and a strong defense. They were not a good road team either.

I will say this....

Memphis struggled against the Spurs after 2011, but the main reason was due to Marc not being aggressive and allowing the Spurs to pack it in on Zbo. Our offense struggled in previous seasons because we would literally force feed Zbo and the Spurs knew the formula to beat us that way. Memphis never had a player of Lee's caliber at SG the year they met in the WCF and they never had the type of Gasol they have now. Memphis has some weaknesses just like every other team in the West, but I think they are more of a favorite now than any other team not named the Spurs. Not to mention, one of Memphis main problems was always health. Marc was injured and overweight all last season. The year Memphis went to the WCF? They started Tony Allen and Tayshaun Prince at SG/SF and had no bench along with no other shooters. That was the year they also traded Rudy. The year before that? Zbo was injured for most of the year.

I keep expressing the concern with the Warriors turnover issues, but it seems to always be ignored. If they play against a great defensive team in the playoffs, its hard to see them winning in a 7 game series. They turn the ball over far too much and make too many careless mistakes on the offensive end. Imagine them having to play MEmphis in a 7 game series (a team that thrives off causing turnovers and enforcing their pace on the other team). You really think GSW is going to be able to handle that? I don't. This is one of the reasons why I don't believe in them and I think Memphis and possibly San Antonio is the only team in the West they would not be able to beat.

The debate is still out on whether or not Memphis can beat the Spurs. But, if they can avoid them this year and stay healthy, I dont' see any other team stopping them (that's if OKC misses or isn't 100%). Clippers, Rockets, Warriors, Blazers, Mavs....I just don't see any of those teams stopping Memphis in a 7 game series. All of those teams rely heavily on the 3 point shot and try to push the pace. Memphis is capable of shutting all of that down in the playoffs. They already somewhat showed that by blowing out the Clippers and Rockets so far this season. I'll be interested to see how they perform against the other 3 teams I listed.

Last edited:
I think the Bulls can win, but the Playoffs would have to start yesterday.

I have no idea what they will look like in April, but I'd bet the over on banged up.

It's going to come down to match ups and HCA in the West. GSW is great, but I don't think they best the Grizz in a 7 game series. Bad match up for them. But if they don't have to face Memphis I could see them in the Finals

Pretty much what I was saying.

Grizz should stay away from the Spurs
Warriors should stay from the Grizz
Spurs should stay away from the Warriors (IMO)

I think those are the top 3 teams right now in terms of contention in the West. I had the Mavs as one of my favorites coming in, but I think they have too many kinks to workout with their PG situation and adjusting to new players. Maybe they get it together by season end. The Clippers were also one of my favorites, but they seem to be the same team we've seen in the past.

And trust me....I didn't think the Grizz would contend this year, but this was based on me thinking we would see the same type of production from everyone this year. I never expected Marc to play this way nor did I expect Lee to shoot the ball so well (granted, his percentage will decrease some). I also did not expect our offense to look the way it has. Even though its early, they have addressed a lot of the concerns I had coming into the season. Zbo also is taking a needed step back this season, which allows Marc to be more of the focal point.

Last edited:
What's the number again? 8 or 9 different organizations have won the championship in the last 30 seasons?

I don't buy into these new squads winning it all until it happens. Sorry.

I'm not saying they aren't capable...but history tells us we'll see the same ol' faces hoisting up another trophy in June. *shrugs*

Last edited:

What's the number again? 8 or 9 different organizations have won the championship in the last 30 seasons?

thats an average of a new team winning a championship every 3-4 years though

mavs happened 4 seasons ago 
nerd.gif

thats an average of a new team winning a championship every 3-4 years though

mavs happened 4 seasons ago :nerd:

Since The 76ers won in 1983 it has been:

1. Spurs
2. Heat
3. Mavs
4. Lakers
5. Celtics
6. Bulls
7. Rockets
8. Pistons

Three of those teams (Lakers, Pistons and Celtics) won't make the playoffs. Two of those teams (Rockets and Heat) aren't legitimate title contenders. Mavs are a fringe title contender. Spurs and Bulls are favorites for a lot of people.

It's possible a new team could enter this year.

Last edited:
I keep expressing the concern with the Warriors turnover issues, but it seems to always be ignored. If they play against a great defensive team in the playoffs, its hard to see them winning in a 7 game series. They turn the ball over far too much and make too many careless mistakes on the offensive end. Imagine them having to play MEmphis in a 7 game series (a team that thrives off causing turnovers and enforcing their pace on the other team). You really think GSW is going to be able to handle that? I don't. This is one of the reasons why I don't believe in them and I think Memphis and possibly San Antonio is the only team in the West they would not be able to beat.
The Warriors last 5 games since the loss to SAS
@ OKC - 9 TO
vs UTA - 13 TO
@ LAL - 16 TO
vs CHA - 14 TO
vs BKN - 10 TO

3 of those 5 games, it was garbage time in the 4th and that's where the TO numbers look worse than it actually was. Granted, it wasn't against the upper echelon of teams in the NBA, but in the beginning of the season, it didn't matter who we played. We still had 20+ TO games. We've been able to keep the TOs down as of late, which is an encouraging sign that the Warriors are getting better at valuing possessions.

If 0-82 were ever a possibility the Sixers would be far and away out of the danger zone of losing their 25% odds of the No. 1 pick, so you wouldn't be seeing Henry Sims if winning can't affect the tanking.

You'd see rotations that actually work together, not the strategic implosion being orchestrated right now. Go check the Sixers most frequently used 5-man combination on BReference. Minuses all over the board. I don't think a descendent of Morey would fail to see that. He knows that that is there. This dude has taken tanking to the ultimate troll level before any rules were set in place to prevent the full-bore style he's implemented.

Lost some respect for my dude Bilas today when he and that Goodman clown posted a story comparing this year's Kentucky team vs. the Sixers.

Last edited:
Spurs and Grizzlies are my favorites to win it all. Marc Gasol makes that team a legit title contender, and I just love everything about what they have to offer. You've got an elite PG, elite team and individual defense, and between Marc ZBO and Mike they've got some real weapons individually offensively, especially with Marc's renewed fervor on the Offensive end of the floor. Courtney Lee and Qpons provide adequate outside shooting, and although Courtney will come down from his torrid shooting pace right now, he should end up at around 40 to 42% from deep. And, they make you play their style of play, which automatically gives them a chance to win ANY game. I mean they really are a complete team to me. Health is always a factor with any team, but as long as they are healthy, it's going to be hell to be them 4 out of 7.

Spurs because,well yeah they are the spurs. They've stumbled a tiny bit out the gate, but they look like they are going to be right there as usual. We all know the book on them and I don't think anyone would suggest they aren't right at the top of the title contenders in the league right now.

Beyond those two, I would probably list Golden State here although health is an issue with them and I think they still have to prove that their style of play will take them deep into the playoffs. They've incorporated Bogut more which is good, and Curry and Thompson are who are they are so they've got a solid shot at representing the west for sure. They look poised to have home court for two rounds this year which is going to be pivotal.

Despite how shaky we have looked through 13 games, I think the Clips are still viable contenders as well. They haven't been as sharp against the elite as one would have presumed thus far, but they'll be fine once playoffs roll around. We haven't seen them at their best on both sides of the ball yet and that'll come. There's very few teams I would put above them if they return to who they were on both sides of the floor last season. Would much rather have them playing their best ball towards the end of the year than now.

Then there's dallas, Houston, Portland, Phoenix, man it'll really come down to who has homecourt in a 7 game series and who is the closest to full health when the playoffs hit.

I dont see GSW really being contenders. They live and die by the 3 too much. Those shots dont fall the same in the playoffs. They dont really pound it inside like memphis and san an do. i wouldnt mind memphis winning, that'd be cool. I'm a laker fan to the death, but when we dont have a chance, I have no problem when blue-collar, grind it out teams do their thing.

damn man. I hope Rose could stay healthy man. He was such a pleasure to watch a few years ago.

WOW @ that stat, I can't even wrap my head around that.

Bulls would have a championship without a doubt with a healthy Rose.

Last edited:
@Aykis16: After tonight, Jason Thompson will be 45 games away from being the longest tenured Sacramento King ever.

:wow: :wow:

Was hoping for redemption against the Pelicans tonight, but just found out Gay and Collison aren't playing 
tired.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom