The 2015 NBA Draft Thread: Draft Day Is Here

He definitely has the ability to become one, you don't see players as skilled as he is as young as he is.

Crucial part of his game to me is if he can get better at drawing fouls and at least be passable on defense.

He's got special talent with the ball though,

Take it however.

Hardwood Paroxysm @HPbasketball 7m
In 2009, Steph had a 42.1% eFG on jumpers off the dribble. D’Angelo Russell had a 51.6%. WHAT.

Hardwood Paroxysm @HPbasketball 3m
Steph Curry had a 46.2% eFG on jumpers his last year at Davidson. Russel had a 53.4% efG on jumpers last year.

Hardwood Paroxysm @HPbasketball 1m
Curry shot 37.5% eFG out of the pick and roll his last year at Davidson. Russell had a 53.9% out of pick and roll last year.

Bro the situations that both players were in were completely different, OSU clearly had the better team, Davidson was basically "Curry and other guys"

Everyone knew he was gonna come out gunning every game cause he needed to for them to even be competitive

Classic case of why ratings sometimes don't matter coming out of high school

They certainly weren't scrubs but they certainly weren't the Fab Five either

Defenses keyed on Russell tough

They did but its not like his teammates didnt step up when he was down

All i am tryna say is his final season at Davidson was way better than this freshman season Russell had

Last edited:
Curry comparison is just to get people talking.

Just as ridiculous as dude comparing Simmons to AD.

Yeah, but they were just recent examples.. But it's basically every year, really :lol:

To name a few more recently Cliff Alexander, Shabazz Muhammad, Kyle Anderson and the list goes on.

Austin Rivers :x  

Not trying to be a "Mr. Know it All" but I called it correctly on every player you listed up there other than Kyle Anderson. I hated Cliff, Shabazz and the Harrison twins game before they stepped a foot on the college court and could easily see they were overhyped.

With Ben Simmons, that's a can't miss prospect.

i see an uninspired defender. someone that will struggle in traffic. someone that will struggle with the physicality of the nba. i dont think he splits doubles or gets through traps as easily he did against certain college teams. to me, he's more likely to perform (at least initially) like he did against Arizona than he did against some other squads. he's just not someone i would consider drafting.

mudiay is explosive, has the potential to be a really good defender. could become a solid rebounder for his position. he finishes well in traffic, can push the tempo. his jumper isn't there but i think it develops well enough to be respectable. if i need a 1, i'm taking mudiay.

i see an uninspired defender. someone that will struggle in traffic. someone that will struggle with the physicality of the nba. i dont think he splits doubles or gets through traps as easily he did against certain college teams. to me, he's more likely to perform (at least initially) like he did against Arizona than he did against some other squads. he's just not someone i would consider drafting.

mudiay is explosive, has the potential to be a really good defender. could become a solid rebounder for his position. he finishes well in traffic, can push the tempo. his jumper isn't there but i think it develops well enough to be respectable. if i need a 1, i'm taking mudiay.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, I just think you're reaching and there's not much to go off of to base this assessment off of. Basically just a blank guess

I like Mudiay over Russell as well but I pretty much always side with the more athletic/physical specimen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Russell turned out to be a bigger Dame Lillard with better court vision and just as bad defense though.

Well it all depends on what your projection of him is. Like I said, for me, I don't see Russell as a franchise type prospect. I think he may top out as a 2nd option at best

I dig the fact that he's a gym rat and that he has exceptional IQ. I didn't view those numbers as a direct comparison to Steph Curry, rather a snapshot of how well he really shot the ball. I know there were games where he struggled badly with his FG% especially against the better teams, so those numbers actually surprised me. Those bad games are to be expected by any freshman in a major conference

I cant really give my take on Mudiay vs Russell

I only saw Russell this past season and really havent saw Mudiay since he went to china

That Davidson team was def better  than the OSU team this year. You guys are just getting caught up in stars and rankings. This OSU team was not good. One of Matta's worse teams for sure.

There's nothing similar about DLo and Evan Turner. 
laugh.gif
 So many hot takes, man. 

that's what GR8 does
laugh.gif

copied one of his posts from the Knicks thread into MS Word one time & it was like 2.5 pages
Nobody outside of the Knicks thread knows me 
laugh.gif

Forgot about Wiggins though. Wiggins had the same kind of hype that Simmons has now. But I think Wiggins will wind up being one of the best players in the NBA so that might only further emphasize what I am trying to say.

JRS stay hating on Russell 
laugh.gif

And yeah OSU was ******* awful this season. Those Russell shooting #s are 
eek.gif

He isnt a shooter like Steph. Nobody is. But worth noting that he is taller, younger, and considered more of a "pure PG" right now than Steph was when he entered the draft as a Junior. People used to say that the best Steph could possibly be was a much much smaller version of Reggie Miller.

Last edited:
Love Russel, he's not a Steph Curry level shooter.

how many of Steph Currys fingers would I have to break for him to shoot 74% from the line in a season?

Well it all depends on what your projection of him is. Like I said, for me, I don't see Russell as a franchise type prospect. I think he may top out as a 2nd option at best

I dig the fact that he's a gym rat and that he has exceptional IQ. I didn't view those numbers as a direct comparison to Steph Curry, rather a snapshot of how well he really shot the ball. I know there were games where he struggled badly with his FG% especially against the better teams, so those numbers actually surprised me. Those bad games are to be expected by any freshman in a major conference
I could see that. I view a similar ceiling for him. Good for a well rounded team, but not good enough to carry a squad. He'd fit in well with the Lakers or 76ers potentially.

that's what GR8 does :lol:

copied one of his posts from the Knicks thread into MS Word one time
Nobody outside of the Knicks thread knows me :lol:

Forgot about Wiggins though. Wiggins had the same kind of hype that Simmons has now. But I think Wiggins will wind up being one of the best players in the NBA so that might only further emphasize what I am trying to say.

JRS stay hating on Russell :lol:  

And yeah OSU was ******* awful this season. Those Russell shooting #s are :wow:

He isnt a shooter like Steph. Nobody is. But worth noting that he is taller, younger, and considered more of a "pure PG" right now than Steph was when he entered the draft as a Junior. People used to say that the best Steph could possibly be was a much much smaller version of Reggie Miller.
View media item 1446973

Love Russel, he's not a Steph Curry level shooter.

how many of Steph Currys fingers would I have to break for him to shoot 74% from the line in a season?

Better question for next season would Mario Be able to put up T Ross numbers if given the same amount of mins, I kinda wanna know how dudes see him as a product today, not down the line

Like is he ready to make an impact?

I'd put Mario at Tier 2 if I didn't have questions about his overall game. Kid is one of the better scorers in this draft. Just not sure if he's gonna be a great team/overall player. But he's definitely one of the best scorers in this draft.

If MJD was coming up in this draft, who would be rated higher him or Winslow?

And where would Evan turner be in that mix?

Russell rumors:

Why the hell is he being compared to Steph? 
indifferent.gif
 Dude plays much more like a Manu type playmaker

After trading point guard Michael Carter-Williams, the 2014 rookie of the year, to Milwaukee this past season, it would appear that the 76ers need a point guard.

But the buzz around the NBA is that D’Angelo Russell, a 6-5 point guard from Ohio State whom many see as a lesser Stephen Curry-type, doesn’t want to play for the unpredictable 76ers. Russell did work out for the 76ers last week.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....ngelo-russell-doesnt-want-to-play-for-sixers/

Last edited:
Real talk tho as a prospect the only reason you would want to play for the sixers is cuz you can get unlimited mins ...other than that they are basically a d league team , you won't get no shine , and nobody has any idea what they are trying to do with the team or when they might want to start winning ...can't blame Russell at all if he thinks that

Even tho ppl on here think mcw "sucks " he was super happy to leave philly and go to the bucks and he ended up being s starter and contributer on a playoff team

Back
Top Bottom