The 2015 NBA Draft Thread: Draft Day Is Here

Josh Selby was the 49th pick in the draft. He doesn't count.

Jerryd Bayless comes to mind

Yall keep saying that it is ridiculous to compare Russell to Curry, but yall forget that it would have been ridiculous to compare 2009 Steph Curry to 2015 Steph Curry. You would have been laughed at and called crazy or a troll.

Russell is a better prospect than Steph was. Simple as that. Prospect to prospect, Russell wins. I am not saying that he will become what Curry has, because those are absurd expectations to place on him, but there is no reason to think that it is impossible for him to have that kind of ceiling.
Was with you on all of this until the bolded part.

Unless he's a Blake Griffin, or Carmelo, or Tim Duncan or Shaq coming out of college, (which he isn't) then by all means there are plenty of reasons to think that someone becoming a franchise player, the greatest shooter in NBA history, NBA MVP and NBA Champion is pretty close to impossible.

It obviously happens, but it's one of those things where when it happens, it happens. But the idea of projecting someone to be the greatest shooter ever and a league mvp is pretty close to impossible for so many reasons. So by that rubric, a steph curry ceiling is pretty close to impossible for DLo to achieve. 

Was with you on all of this until the bolded part.

Unless he's a Blake Griffin, or Carmelo, or Tim Duncan or Shaq coming out of college, (which he isn't) then by all means there are plenty of reasons to think that someone becoming a franchise player, the greatest shooter in NBA history, NBA MVP and NBA Champion is pretty close to impossible.

It obviously happens, but it's one of those things where when it happens, it happens. But the idea of projecting someone to be the greatest shooter ever and a league mvp is pretty close to impossible for so many reasons. So by that rubric, a steph curry ceiling is pretty close to impossible for DLo to achieve. 
I agree with what you are trying to get at. And again I would never say that I "expect" DLo to become Steph Curry. Those would just be unreal expectations.

Russell will never be Steph Curry. Only Steph Curry can be Steph Curry. Expecting him to even reach that level would be a lot to ask. But your logic is flawed. DLo could absolutely have that kind of ceiling despite not being a Blake, Melo, Duncan etc.

Its not just Steph, look at the top 3 MVP candidates from this season. Steph, Harden, and Westbrook. Russell now is considered a better draft prospect than any of those 3 players were at the time of their drafts. So while it might be unrealistic to EXPECT Russell to become that kind of player, he absolutely has the ceiling to do so IMO.

Depends on the fit and how hard he works, but the potential to get to that upper tier level is there. Then maybe in a couple of years we'll be talking about how unrealistic it is to expect the next guy to be Russell. Then we rinse, wash, and repeat. Sure there will always be busts along the way and players who seem to come from nowhere. But that is how this whole process works. It's unpredictable.

Last edited:
i get what you're saying

i wouldn't be surprised if any of the top guys in this draft are MVP candidates 5-7 years down the road

I agree with what you are trying to get at. And again I would never say that I "expect" DLo to become Steph Curry. Those would just be unreal expectations.

Russell will never be Steph Curry. Only Steph Curry can be Steph Curry. Expecting him to even reach that level would be a lot to ask. But your logic is flawed. DLo could absolutely have that kind of ceiling despite not being a Blake, Melo, Duncan etc.

Its not just Steph, look at the top 3 MVP candidates from this season. Steph, Harden, and Westbrook. Russell now is considered a better draft prospect than any of those 3 players were at the time of their drafts. So while it might be unrealistic to EXPECT Russell to become that kind of player, he absolutely has the ceiling to do so IMO.

Depends on the fit and how hard he works, but the potential to get to that upper tier level is there. Then maybe in a couple of years we'll be talking about how unrealistic it is to expect the next guy to be Russell. Then we rinse, wash, and repeat. Sure there will always be busts along the way and players who seem to come from nowhere. But that is how this whole process works. It's unpredictable.
I guess what I'm saying is that, in theory, you are correct. DLo could be an NBA MVP. Steph, Harden, Westbrook, it would have been unrealistic for them to become a MVP / MVP Candidate. So while it's unrealistic to EXPECT that, it could happen. Which is true.

However you said "He absoltely has the ceiling to do so" and that's just where I would disagree with you.

Why? Because I don't see that in his cards. I don't see that for most guys entering the draft unless they are the Blake's or the Tim Duncan's or Shaq's entering the league. Reason being is because that's an incredible feat man. Like I said, it's one of those things where I wouldn't put a league MVP, or a champion on any player that wasn't the aforementioned because it's just so far out there, so far out of the realm of possibility for me personally. Just because Steph, Harden, and Westbrook almost won MVP this year doesn't make that any less valid IMO. Them almost winning doesn't dismiss how crazy it is for them to even be in that conversation, considering their status as prospects entering into the league and because of that craziness, I personally would never ever say that a player could have a league MVP as their ceiling unless it's blatantly obvious.

Nate Robinson was the greatest player in the history of the summer league

Now if you want to go and call him a "bust" im gonna go Chapelle on you...

"Sir, my fanhood will not permit me to make a statement like that."

And then ill tell you to go **** yourself

he is a friend of a friend.

followed him closely as his HS is rivals with my alma mater (LB Poly)
pimp.gif

That Salim reference above dat 503 
pimp.gif

Alonzo Trier 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
Kemba was that dude at Rice... Reminds me of last person to be All American at my High School Alma Mater was Jamal Mashburn

Who is the friend? U must know The Don then?

And lol at MD being rivals with Poly, idk about any of that. Ya'll only match up in CIF.
Kemba :smokin

yea well the one year in '13, I think they played again a few years before too. but it's socal man, and I feel like everyone hates us :lol:

I don't know The Don? PM'd...maybe we know each other? :lol:

yea well the one year in '13, I think they played again a few years before too. but it's socal man, and I feel like everyone hates us :lol:

I don't know The Don? PM'd...maybe we know each other? :lol:

Stan is the lil homie, u must certainly know The Don lol.

Really? I feel like in bball everyone loves the style Poly plays.

@ESPNInsider: He's the next Dirk .. and Pau .. and KD. Chad Ford makes case for Kristaps Porzingis at No. 1 http://t.co/PERrY9xR1Z

can someone post? i just wanna see how Ford thinks Zingy is Dirk/KD/Pau :lol: :stoneface:

Back
Top Bottom