^ The Avengers - Official Movie Thread: Out Now!! ^

I thought First class was ok when I saw it in theaters. But not so long ago I watched it again at home and couldn't stand it.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

I like 1st class but what they did to Mystique in it pissed me off.
this, completely.
gentry187 wrote:
I thought First class was ok when I saw it in theaters. But not so long ago I watched it again at home and couldn't stand it.
and this

It wasn't the continuity, I don't really mind that at all. It's just Magneto was so far and away better than anything else in the movie. And everything outside of him felt disjointed and aimless with some badly written dialogue in there, up and down acting and sometimes really bad special effects. Mystique
30t6p3b.gif
..Sometimes Prof. X is straight, others he's just annoying as hell. Kevin Bacon was really good, but January Jones (Emma Frost) is such a bad actress. She ruins almost every scene she talks in. Lenny Kravitz's daughter sucks and Beast was okay. I liked the other kids, but their big battle at the end was so bad.

Like if they stuck with the plan and just made a straight up Magneto origin movie, that would've been amazing, but instead they squeezed it down and made it the b-plot of a whatever X-Men prequel. And then they basically ran through what the next 2 First Class movies are supposed to be in the last half hour, so what do they do now?

Originally Posted by ConductZero

I thought all the other X-Men movies were pretty lame but I was blown away by First Class and I don't even like X-Men like that.   
This.  I was one of the skeptics who never saw this in theaters because I never gave it a chance.  And then I saw this on dvd and I was
eek.gif

I wish I saw this in theaters.  Severely underrated film. 

The only thing that I didn't like about that movie ... and it's been mentioned... Mystique.  But it might've been partly because I was already kinda used to Rebecca Romjin's Mystique so there might've been bias there. 

Agreed with every positive thing said about 1st class. That movie was
pimp.gif
. And Kevin Bacon as the villain
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I too hated Mystique with that fat faced girl. Magneto was on a whole 'nother level though.

I want to watch this again just to see my 5'8 Canadian boo Cobie Smulders. Did anyone else think Captain America kinda sucked between the rest of the cast. He just seemed sort of emotionless.

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

Did anyone else think Captain America kinda sucked between the rest of the cast. He just seemed sort of emotionless.
Yea man...To me, dude is basically just Cyclops from the X-Men movies. Chis Evans does a good job, but dude's already handicapped, being the weakest one of the big names. Then add on that he's up against RDJ, Sam Jackson, Ruffalo who killed that role and Hemsworth who's casted perfectly.

Even Black Widow and Hawkeye were more important to the movie than him.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Did anyone else think Captain America kinda sucked between the rest of the cast. He just seemed sort of emotionless.
Yea man...To me, dude is basically just Cyclops from the X-Men movies. Chis Evans does a good job, but dude's already handicapped, being the weakest one of the big names. Then add on that he's up against RDJ, Sam Jackson, Ruffalo who killed that role and Hemsworth who's casted perfectly.

30t6p3b.gif
What do you mean more important? I don't think we watched the same movie. Cap was instrumental in making The Avengers a team. He brought the classic heart and soul that makes The Avengers who they are.

To say BW and Hawkeye were more important is stretching it. Cap is just not the type of character who's going to show much charisma. I thought his presence in the film, given that fact, was tremendous. It was just like in the comics.

When Cap gave Fury that $10 bill 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MrONegative

30t6p3b.gif
indifferent.gif
 who did you see giving orders out to all the other Avengers? 
Cap is the leader that keeps the Avengers in check.

I think Evans and the cap character were nailed down just right. I have no idea what you guys wanted. Whedon played the right cards by not making cap all star-spangled bannery. When you have all these big name characters you have to let each shine. Cap is the reserved leader, he is the antithesis to starks braggard ways. Thor evens out the big 3. Cap gave orders like a boss, organized the team like a boss, and made them remember why they were picked for the team.

overall the casting for this movie was spot on. I had alot of doubts for rufallo as banner but he pulled it off...Ed Norton has the classic banner look and imho he should have remained as banner but ruffalo acted the part of a banner.

and the last line where dude was like "to court death" and Thanos starts smiling was perfect.

MARVEL NEEDS TO GET ALL OF IT"S TEAMS UNDER THE SAME HOUSE AND DO AN ALL OUT INFINITY WAR MOVIE AND THEN AN ILLUMINATI MOVIE ONE DAY. JUST HAVING A CAMEO OF SPIDER-MAN OR WOLVERINE WOULD PUSH THESE MOVIES TO TDK STATUS.

hopefully this doesn't add a whole new fire to this campsite but am I the only one who thought that the watchmen movie was great? it was a long movie which is good since some movies with a lot of characters/stories have to get compressed to a  hour and 45 min movie. It was rated R because that's how I believe some action movies should have to be... the comics didn't really have high censorships. be it that is was a graphic novel and not an actual comic per say. yes I know they are trying to sell it to kids but even the batman "heath ledger" one was great in my book with dark themes. both were written and shown great.

Y'all are funny. Cap did work. If anything, Thor did the least IMO. He mistakenly stole Loki from the plane, got stabbed or whatever by Loki at Stark towers, got tricked into being stuck in the holding chamber that Loki was in... he did some flying around and killed a fair portion of the alien army, but he wasn't as integral as the Hulk destroying so many enemies including Loki, Captain giving out orders while also defeating some of the army, or Iron Man with the missile and guiding the aliens towards the group. BTW, I like Thor as a character and movie more than I liked Cap. Just had to say how ridiculous it is to say Cap is comparable to Cyclops.

Capt got #%$# done and got the team to work together when needed. Sure he got clowned on and whatnot by Stark and Banner to some extent, but when it came down to it he led the team and the team responded..... just like in the comic books
laugh.gif

And to the dude that said the Watchmen was great, it was
laugh.gif
In the same smart way that TDK and possibly TDKR will be. Not saying the The Avengers wasn't "smart" but it just is the epiphany of a fun action packed movie. Watchmen/TDK and Marvel movies are both great and enjoyable in their own right.

I agree with the Cap being played pretty perfectly in this movie. The moment they turn to him for a plan and he just laid it out for them
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

More important to what happened in this movie?

He's still Captain America. He can take hits from Iron Man and apparently Thor. He can talk down to Tony Stark and whoever and yeah he did organize the fighting. But just in the plot of this movie, Hawkeye working for Loki, giving up SHIELD's secrets, leading the attack and basically causing that huge helicarrier battle. Then Black Widow interrogating Loki, shutting off the portal.

I'm not saying they had nothing for him to do. I'm just saying for what was important to the plot of the movie, he didn't have as much of a part as anyone else. And just in general his portrayal is the weakest of that big 4 to me. Part of it might be because I didn't like his origin movie.

Saw it last night and absolutely loved the movie!

I'll probably see it again in theaters, and that's saying alot with me watchin every dollar i spend and ticket prices going up every single week.

I loved all the subtle jokes that were in the flick (the nicknames Stark gave people - 'point break', legolas, etc to the $10 Cap gave Fury)...

I'm not in deep in comics as i was when i was younger, but I wouldn't mind seeing a cameo here n there... LOL

Eh I feel you. He just didn't really have any memorable moments other than being the first avenger to join Fury and try to get everyone else.

I did read that in Captain America 2 will have the biggest tie in to The Avengers 2, so maybe his role will be vamped up for that film

Was it me or did the giant flying worm resemble something from a Gears of War game?
It clearly had the head of a Brumak.

I watched it sans 3d and Imax and I'm regretting that I didn't go all the way and watch it in IMAX if that helps.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

^that's ignorant
sick.gif

I saw it in 3D and it was whatever. That post-conversion ehhhh.

But def see it in IMAX if you can. This movie goes BIG.

IMO Evans did a better Cap in Avengers than the Cap movie. There was a whole bunch of things I didn't like about the Cap movie. Seemed to me they rushed it just to get him to modern age. Short scuffle with the Red Skull, quick Bucky death, etc. It seemed to me they focused way more on his building relationship with that Carter chick than what he meant to WW2 and winning it.

I didn't even mind how they changed Bucky's relationship with Cap, giving Red Skull an early form of the serum, that knock off Dum Dum Dugan being in it, the ridiculous use of the cosmic cube, my man Derek Luke being useless in it, and a few other things.

They had so much potential if they wrote that movie right even if they wanted to have him be found in the modern age at the end of the movie. No hint at the Invaders, no fight with other Nazi villains like Master Man, they made Zola a %+#!%, no Bucky as Bucky. They should've done a time skip (a few years) mid movie and mention these guys just so we know he's been in the war for a while putting in work. That way when this movie ended they could do sequels where it's back in the war with the Invaders and have sequels where it's in the modern day. Could've done a nice parallel with the Avengers and Invaders. To me it's not the same Cap, doesn't have the same essence as the American symbol that brings hope to the modern age. This Cap is just a guy that was marketing bonds and enlistment, was in a comic book, had two known successful missions, and then disappeared.

Fav part of Avengers movie acting/story wise is when they all started arguing. Good points being made and I liked where it was going. Kinda agree with dude saying Thor wasn kinda minimized. The Hulk put in a lot of the pure strength work. Don't agree about Evans being the least important, to me he's even with Ruffalo. Stark as expected owned this movie. Not too happy with how Fury was used.

Originally Posted by big1236

I'll probably see it again in theaters, and that's saying alot with me watchin every dollar i spend and ticket prices going up every single week.

I loved all the subtle jokes that were in the flick (the nicknames Stark gave people - 'point break', legolas, etc to the $10 Cap gave Fury)...

I'm not in deep in comics as i was when i was younger, but I wouldn't mind seeing a cameo here n there... LOL
Aye can somebody help me out with that scene i was explaining #@%* to my girl and missed it.(always askin questions during a movie
eyes.gif
) i look up and just see a $10 in fury's hand what was that about?

Cap was great. He was the second guy to stand out to me after Ruffalo....

That talk he had with Stark after what happened to Phil

When he was introduced to Banner on the heli carrier....  you could really feel the pure goodness oozing out of him (pause) banner: "is that the only word you heard of me?"  "it's the only word I care about."

When he told his teammates what to do and shouted out orders...

When he told the cops what to do...

The hostage scene at grand central terminal...

Evans was great.

Originally Posted by nawghtyhare

Originally Posted by big1236

Aye can somebody help me out with that scene i was explaining #@%* to my girl and missed it.(always askin questions during a movie
eyes.gif
) i look up and just see a $10 in fury's hand what was that about?

When speaking to Fury early in the film Cap says, “At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me.

Back
Top Bottom