The Bicycle Thread

Finally did a decent ride. I started losing it though around mile 30-39. My legs, *** and back started to go out. I guess I have to condition more to do these long rides.

6AAE77BB-871B-4B08-94C6-DF5678683A6E.jpeg

557960BE-5339-4221-BCCF-9B341A4657EC.jpeg
Nice ride , clean whip !

ID on the saddle bag ? been lookin for 1 that isn’t ugly/bulky and yours looks super clean

Finally did a decent ride. I started losing it though around mile 30-39. My legs, *** and back started to go out. I guess I have to condition more to do these long rides.

You did good man. You gotta work on them miles slowly. All the 10-20 miles ride will help you gain more and more miles on your longer rides. I always just say, ride with how much time your available. During the week I can only get about a 20-30 mile ride a day just because thats about what I have time for. Then on the weekend allocate a couple hours to test your endurance on a nice long ride.

Many factors too. Eating, Hydration, Weather, Wind, etc. All this will aide in your ride or make it a little more challenging.

**** that's far. The furthest I've gone was down Lake Merced Blvd., around the lake, and back up to Westlake(jogging route).:lol:

Got some new parts for the Surly steam roller. Changing from flat bars to dropbars. Will post parts and before after pics.

You did good man. You gotta work on them miles slowly. All the 10-20 miles ride will help you gain more and more miles on your longer rides. I always just say, ride with how much time your available. During the week I can only get about a 20-30 mile ride a day just because thats about what I have time for. Then on the weekend allocate a couple hours to test your endurance on a nice long ride.

Many factors too. Eating, Hydration, Weather, Wind, etc. All this will aide in your ride or make it a little more challenging.
I made sure I had breakfast before I went and had 2 waters and an energy bar just in case. Weather was great today but wind in the bridge added to that incline. But you are right. You sort of have to really prep for those rides.
Could be wrong but looks like Rapha.
Yup. It’s the small Rapha saddle bag. The pros of it is it looks great and classy. The bad is it’s like $70 and doesn’t hold a lot. I have one tube and a tool and that’s it. Couldn’t fit a CO2 cartridge in it at all which defeats the purpose of the spare tube. There is a bigger one which looks the same and more functional but the small one looked better which really shows my priorities in cycling.

06C01399-8454-400A-82B2-2708DC0DA3F1.jpeg

I made sure I had breakfast before I went and had 2 waters and an energy bar just in case. Weather was great today but wind in the bridge added to that incline. But you are right. You sort of have to really prep for those rides.

Yup. It’s the small Rapha saddle bag. The pros of it is it looks great and classy. The bad is it’s like $70 and doesn’t hold a lot. I have one tube and a tool and that’s it. Couldn’t fit a CO2 cartridge in it at all which defeats the purpose of the spare tube. There is a bigger one which looks the same and more functional but the small one looked better which really shows my priorities in cycling.

06C01399-8454-400A-82B2-2708DC0DA3F1.jpeg
Yea you;ll get to know your body a lot better once you get more time on the saddle. Big miles are cool and all, but I enjoy the nice fast short rides just as much. Long as youre having fun. I would hate to do long rides if I didn't enjoy them.

Somedays too, I only feel like I have a 20 miler, but then just end up switching up, hitting a store to re-up on fluids and a snack and double up or more.

Feeling weak seeing these 20-milers called "short rides." If I need to go any further than that, I'm driving lol...

Honestly, I'm scared of the longer rides because I don't know how much water/food to bring, I don't know how my body will hold up, and I don't want to get stranded with a flat. But next year, when weather's good again, I'll try for a 40-50 mile ride.

Feeling weak seeing these 20-milers called "short rides." If I need to go any further than that, I'm driving lol...

Honestly, I'm scared of the longer rides because I don't know how much water/food to bring, I don't know how my body will hold up, and I don't want to get stranded with a flat. But next year, when weather's good again, I'll try for a 40-50 mile ride.
Naw you good fam. Its like anything, the more you do it the better you get. No secrets to it really. No shortcuts no matter how expensive the bike.

I think once you get up there, you'll realize how short 20 is really. I think after 30 is when it feels longer. It changes how much nutrition and water you need IMO. Usually 20 and below, I can get away with a single 16 with some BCAA/Carb mix if I hydrated well that day.

But everyone is different in regards to nutrition and what not.

When I’m doing a 20+ miler I consider my route and if there’s food spots along the way. Not a full meal but like a health food spot where I can grab a carb & protein snack and a drink. Less to carry plus it helps plan the route and rest stops.

Have none of you got pockets on your jerseys?

I don’t ride with a saddle bag because it was annoying moving it between bikes so I have a little pocket toolkit that has everything I need for repairs - pump, couple of tubes, rubber gloves, multi tool etc - and everything else goes in the other pockets.

Up to 20 miles I don’t take anything, more than that you can get everything in your pockets up to about 60 miles. Did a century a few years ago with my pockets and one stop at 50 miles for something to eat. Even at that distance you don’t need a meal but just little and often and there’s usually somewhere you can get something - at least a gas station.

I’m a fan of proper food and keep gels etc for emergencies - low sugar 10 miles from home isn’t fun and a few gels will help but I like sandwiches and a banana or similar for a day out. I tend to have one bottle with an energy drink and another just water too.

Yeah I'm not doing nowhere near those numbers but those back pockets are wild convenient. Got a musette/feed bag too for when I don't want to put that tight **** on and just go for a quick ride.

Have none of you got pockets on your jerseys?

I don’t ride with a saddle bag because it was annoying moving it between bikes so I have a little pocket toolkit that has everything I need for repairs - pump, couple of tubes, rubber gloves, multi tool etc - and everything else goes in the other pockets.

Up to 20 miles I don’t take anything, more than that you can get everything in your pockets up to about 60 miles. Did a century a few years ago with my pockets and one stop at 50 miles for something to eat. Even at that distance you don’t need a meal but just little and often and there’s usually somewhere you can get something - at least a gas station.

I’m a fan of proper food and keep gels etc for emergencies - low sugar 10 miles from home isn’t fun and a few gels will help but I like sandwiches and a banana or similar for a day out. I tend to have one bottle with an energy drink and another just water too.
Yea I mostly use my jersey pockets and a tool keg. If its short enough I just use a tool keg, since 20 or so I usually only need a single bottle, so the keg goes into the other cage.

I agree pretty much on the century. Definitely need less food than I thought. Where I messed up was with hydration and carbs, little and often. But the route we took was through the Columbia River Gorge, and there are less stops for food/water than I prefer.

Saying that I also live somewhere where it doesn’t get that hot - riding in the US in the summer I’d always have at least one bottle. Not such a big deal here!

Naw you good fam. Its like anything, the more you do it the better you get. No secrets to it really. No shortcuts no matter how expensive the bike.

I think once you get up there, you'll realize how short 20 is really. I think after 30 is when it feels longer. It changes how much nutrition and water you need IMO. Usually 20 and below, I can get away with a single 16 with some BCAA/Carb mix if I hydrated well that day.

But everyone is different in regards to nutrition and what not.
Thanks man. I used to get beat from 5-mile rides... When I went on my first 30-mile ride, I cramped up and had to walk the last 2 miles. Not fun.

I do 20-30 now but it'll definitely take some planning and work to go beyond that. Eventually I'll need to add that 2nd bottle cage that's sitting in my closet and find a way to carry stuff with me.

Where can I find inexpensive riding gear? Looking like a goon in sweats right now.
I still bike in basketball shorts :lol: Getting some real gear has been at the top of my list for 2 years now but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I ride with a fanny pack swung behind me
cause I also like to carry a small mirrorless camera. I put my keys, wallet, protein bar and other things in there too. I wear bike shorts but also wear Nike shorts over it. As far as shirts, I only ride Mash long sleeve shirts for now. I just got two new ones that should be in the mail tomorrow.

I ride in Torm jerseys - comfy and I like the style. Got a long sleeves red one and a short sleeved black one with red and yellow stripes - for that overnight century I did a few years ago. Wool is really good this time of year - but no good on a warm sunny day (although if it wasn't black it would probably be okay - I keep meaning to get a lighter colour for the summer).

When it gets a bit colder I've got an Endura jacket which is good. I was kicking myself a few months ago though because in April they were offering 50% to health workers and I meant to get another one and forgot until a few days later. Would have been a great deal at half price.

Back
Top Bottom