The Blueprint Turns 13 Today

antidope

Supporter
tumblr_nbqelkeXal1qzbwkjo1_1280.jpg

A more than unfortunate day, September 11, 2001 goes down in history and is marked as the day America lost a piece of ourselves. Thousands of lives were lost, and you didn’t have to be a New York resident to feel the effects of that day for the rest of your life.

Weeks before, and we had Jay-Z preparing to release his sixth studio album titled The Blueprint. Originally slated for a Sept. 18th release, it was pushed up to September 11th due to heavy bootlegging. The streets were talking in Jay’s favor though, and reviews were more than favorable. The Blueprint  is highly regarded as the day rap grew up and for considerable reason that I’ll explain later. Despite 9/11 attacks, the album marked his fourth number one debut on the charts, and sold an impressive 420,000 units in the first week. After its release, it was blessed with The Source Magazine’s honorable 5 Mics, XXL Magazine’s coveted XXL rating, 5 stars from Vibe Magazine and was even ranked number 464 on Rolling Stone’s list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

What makes this album so important you ask? Well for starters the production. Then newcomer Kanye West brought an element to Jay’s lyrics that hadn’t been introduced to mainstream hip hop yet. Soulful instrumentals meshed with coy lyrics as evident on “Heart Of The City” which samples Bobby Blue Band’s hit song of the same title, or a scathing diss track such as “The Takeover” which samples from 3 different artist (KRS One, David Bowie, and The Doors sampled on one song!?). It was a game changer that still appears to be difficult to follow up from many artist.

There are 6 important elements that make a song amazing; Purpose and Message, the cool factor, rhythm, melody, lyrics, and delivery. This album can be divided and filed under each category, and that’s what made it special. Not only that, but it could be applied to a bevy of different situations in your life. “Song Cry” pulled you in with the production, and sat you down for a closer listen with lyrics you could relate to, “U Don’t Know” had you on your street sh*t even if you were from the burbs:
“I sell ice in the winter, I sell fire in hell, I’am a hustler baby i sell water to a whale”
“All I Need” you were leaving for a night out but checking for all the necessary accessories. “Rocawear, (check) Nike airs, (check) mean bucket.” Oh and then theirs “Renegade.” The Eminem featured classic that caused much debate about who delivered the best. Jay approached the song challenging listeners, and with his incredible flow that matched Em’s production but Jay stans have to admit he took an L with this one. Em’s flow, his tone of voice and the way he approached the subject matter just appealed to me; sh*t he even had humor:
“And I got nothing to do but make you look stupid as parents you fu*kin do-gooders, too bad you couldn’t do good at marriage!”
Getting back to me calling this album the day Hip Hop grew up. Prior to the release of the “The Blueprint”, the topic of choice for most rappers was the drug game, women, money, so forth and so on, and even though those are still the most popular topics, a new and refreshing way of expression was introduced. Jay matured and it showed with his more mature beat selections, and perfected rhyme patterns. As said by writer Jake Hamilton, The Blueprint  didn’t so much re invent rap, as the possibilities of rap stardom, which might just be more significant. Underneath the tragedy and horrific events that will plague this date forever, lies a flawless album. Dust it off, and relive the better moments, but never forget.
http://firstklassbreakfast.com/jay-z-the-blueprint-11-years-later/

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Didnt think it was really OP appropriate being that this is my personal opinion but:

The Blueprint is in my opinion the greatest album ever made with Reasonable Doubt being a close second. I’m sure that’s not an opinion that A. People agree with or B. Sits well with people period (the idea of a rap album being the best album ever made is laughable to people), but its an opinion that I will staunchly defend.

This was the album that really cemented my affinity with Jay Z, I don’t think I’ve played any album more in my life. Jay Z was the second rapper I ever really heard, the first being DMX, I only really got into Jay Z because of Money, Cash, H____ having that DMX feature on it. Started off with Vol 2, and then got Volume 3. When it was time for The Blueprint to come out, Jay Z was sharing the lane with Eminem for the rapper that got most of my attention. I was on the Marshall Mathers LP heavy during that time, it was the only album I listened to for months on end, even though I had the edited version because I made the mistake of letting my parents hear the Slim Shady LP and they flipped out on me. But learning from that mistake I knew I was going to have to get this album on my own somehow and lo, and behold The Blueprint was a victim of heavy bootlegging.

This was the first album I’ve ever seen that was bootlegged to such a degree, I had more or the less the entire thing almost a month before it was originally slated to come out (September  25[sup]th[/sup], then moved to the 18[sup]th[/sup]). There may have been albums that were bootlegged heavier than this, but nothing that was really on my radar, but once I did get my hands on it, I didn’t listen to MMLP for like two months.

Outside of the bootlegging which plays little part into the quality of the album, I just think that is the best piece of music that has ever been released. Content wise I think this album is flawless, theres not a song that I deem skip worthy, the album has it all, metaphors, storylines, deep s____, club s_____, girl  s_____ world s ______ . 13 years later it still feels fresh and vibrant to me. Its not an album that when I listen to it, it takes me back to the period in which I heard because it feels like an album that could have been put out today.

I cant even name a favourite song on here, it’s a situation where theres four or five songs that I can name as my favourite. This album more or less shaped the way I saw rap as a genre, once upon a time I used to listen to other music, but after this album came out, all I wanted to do was listen to this and more things like it(being other rap music) and I never looked back.  Its on repeat all day long today 

Rumor has it the Blueprint classic, coudlnt even be stopped by Bin Laden  
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

I was in 6th grade when this dropped I think, pretty sure it was my first Jay album. Played the hell out of it for a long time when I got it, and of course I still go back to it every month or so. Great album.

Blueprint.. the beginning of samples on every beat and when the Dr Dre Xplosive groove was used on 3 of the same songs (minus new samples)..lol

Greatest album ever made? Are you serious? :stoneface: ***** :stoneface: This album is certified trash.

There are only two good things about this album...

The Eminem verses. He completely obliterated jay z in the worst way possible. Embarrassed him on his own album :smh:

The second good thing about this album was Takeover. without this wack *** song, the greatest rapper of all time would have never been inspired to make the greatest diss track of all time with Ether

Greatest album ever made? Are you serious?
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
This album is certified trash.

The Eminem verses. He completely obliterated jay z in the worst way possible. Embarrassed him on his own album
mean.gif

The second good thing about this album was Takeover. without this wack *** song, the greatest rapper of all time would have never been inspired to make the greatest diss track of all time with Ether
So is this your Niketalk schtick?  Just trollin and hating on everything?

Greatest album ever made? Are you serious?
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
This album is certified trash.

The Eminem verses. He completely obliterated jay z in the worst way possible. Embarrassed him on his own album
mean.gif

0/8

Should have just ignored the cries for attention^

Its MY favorite album of all time, making it the Greatest Album Of All Time.

I still remember all the events of 9/11, and my moms driving me to different stores to cop.

Horrible day, Great day for music.

Think Fab and someone else dropped albums that day.

GAOAT

2001: It’s no secret that September 11, 2001 is one of the darkest days in American history. There were far more important events going on in the country than the release of a new Jay Z album that day. To call the release of Jay Z’s magnum opus, The Blueprint, on September 11, 2001 “bittersweet” seems somehow disrespectful to the victims of the World Trade Center attack but The Blueprint remains one of the most important albums in hip-hop history.

Despite the tragic events of the day, The Blueprint is consistently ranked as one of the best albums released in the last 15 years. It’s influential blend of soulful samples and Jay’s triumphant world-conquering lyricism gave the album instant credibility with hip-hop fans and garnered a unique appeal to mainstream critics, too. After years of locking the streets down with hit after hit, the album felt as if it were Jay’s de-facto coronation to the throne of hip-hop. This can be no better exemplified than his iconic diss song, “The Takeover,” where Jay challenges fellow contender, Nas, for the throne.

The album was not only a critical success but a commercial one, too. Powered by hit singles such as “Izzo (H.O.V.A.),” “Girls, Girls, Girls,” and “Song Cry,” the album landed at #1 on the Billboard Charts on it’s way to being certified double platinum. The album is also notable for popularizing the wave of “chipmunk soul” in hip-hop , lead by the sound of the album’s producers, Kanye West and Just Blaze. 13 years later, The Blueprint is still widely revered and can be seen arguably as Jay’s finest hour.
http://www.xxlmag.com/news/hip-hop-...mpaign=today-hip-hop-jay-z-releases-blueprint

Classic album :smokin
Heart of the city
never change (jay's greatest song ever :x :smh: :smokin)
takeover
renegade
the whole album lol

Reasonable Doubt is jay's best album tho :nerd:

I liked AG but after a couple years. I could do without half of that album. Nowhere near as good as what people say. It's his best album since The Blueprint but I'm fine with never hearing AG if it means none of the other albums came out.

My favorite rap album <>. I still remember going to Circuit City to get it on September 11th.  

Asinine Statement of the Month:  "After watching the Made In America performance...there is no denying Kanye is the greatest of our generation"--Ginfante

Last edited:
my 2nd favorite hov album :pimp:

the way he ended this with blueprint (momma loves me) followed by the 2 hidden tracks was perfect execution :smokin

i still need that blue case cd version >: :lol:

A classic and easily my favorite Jay album.

Heart of the City is one of my favorite rap songs ever, I listen to it at least once a week and never get sick of it.

I still have the blue case cd in excellent quality :smokin

Back
Top Bottom