The College Basketball Post

Tyus Jones is going to be in that 10-20 range.

A lot of people are sleeping on Newman. come next year...this board will be slurping him. If he goes to LSU, he'll see some minutes at the 1. Wish you guys could've seen him this past summer running point for team USA. He played brilliantly.

Dude is like a less athletic monte Ellis. Will fill it up and make plays. Simmons, Blakeney and Newman is a crazy trio.

Iff Jarrel Martin and Jordan Mickey stay...look out.
Not by that much. I thought Monta was way more athletic than he was too until I saw him play for the first time in person last year. He did a spin move to split a double and I'm still not sure I saw what I saw; went up off two feet and dunked with relative ease. That alone was worth the price of admission. 
$20k though? People got stupid money.
think dude owns a couple of hotels. that loss won't hurt him.

I personally think they should've given Mark Jackson the reigns but what do I know...
Jackson would have been great but he jumps the second the right NBA job comes calling.
This. He doesn't want to coach in college. He still feels like his job was stolen from him in the Bay; and it's even harder to swallow with all the success GS is having. 

Last edited:
I just think shaka needs to go to a basketball school. where recruits want to go like a syracuse. boheim might be out in the next 3 years anyway. why not wait for a better opening. and lets be real. shaka will not be given the long leash that barnes had. posting mediocre seasons. It would be a battle to see who gets fired first charlie strong or shaka. 

he's being paid well by VCU so I can see him staying and waiting. it'll probably come down to how much texas is gonna throw at him.

So close yet so far
Easy 250K if he hedges it correctly.

I think Shaka going to Texas would be a good fit for him. Not a ton of pressure, has some time to do his thing, can get paid.

Same thing with Marshall to Bama (don't see it happening, but it could) ...not a lot of pressure and has time to make things happen, then go to a Blue Blood if things go well at Bama.

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein · 9m 9 minutes ago

BREAKING: Chris Mullin will hire Iowa State's Matt Abdemassih at St. John's as an assistant, source told @CBSSports. Story coming. #SJUBB

Still a bit skeptical of the Mullin hire, but this probably means that Diallo ends up at St. John's :pimp:

Shaka needs to make that move to Texas...He has done a great job with VCU, but they have a ceiling. They will always be able to compete with the best teams in the country, but he still won't be able to get the recruits that he would get if it were a bigger school.

None of the top tier jobs are going to be open for a few years. Syracuse is the closest to opening up, but I actually think Texas is a better job. Great city, great facilities and lower expectations than I think they'd have at Cuse.

shaka would breathe new life into a syracuse program that needs a young energetic coach like himself. Texas to me hit their ceiling with barnes from 03-08. I just don't see that program becoming anything greater than what barnes was able to do. 

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein · 9m 9 minutes ago

BREAKING: Chris Mullin will hire Iowa State's Matt Abdemassih at St. John's as an assistant, source told @CBSSports. Story coming. #SJUBB

Still a bit skeptical of the Mullin hire, but this probably means that Diallo ends up at St. John's :pimp:
Great addition. Kid is a class act and one of the hardest workers in the NCAA.

Last edited:
shaka would breathe new life into a syracuse program that needs a young energetic coach like himself. Texas to me hit their ceiling with barnes from 03-08. I just don't see that program becoming anything greater than what barnes was able to do. 

Man what?

Barnes was a horrible coach and still able to bring in 5 star guys, Shaka will have no problem reviving that program especially with all the money and resources they have flowing in Austin.

LSU losing Jarell Martin and Jordan Mickey to the nba draft. Cameron Payne expected to enter this week

I understand Martin going pro, but Mickey will measure out at 6'7 and his offensive game is a work in progress

mark jackson would've been a great hire. I still think mullin will possibly turn the program around. smart doesn't need to go to texas. What he has going at vcu is great. wait for a better job like a duke, unc, kansas etc or head to the NBA like brad stevens.

Texas is a great job man. I'd go ASAP if I were him

Considering that he still asn't won a conference title I don't think its a bad move for Shaka to cash in his chips. Bloom is not as full as it once was. Plus, Texas is an easy basketball job, they don't really care so it would be a good fit for him + austin is a place where he would seem to fit.

Won the postseason title this season, if u count that.

Just heard a great stat on Kentucky...(and I don't want this to seem like I am taking shots at UK...they're great, phenomenal)...

Doug Gottlieb said on a radio station in KC that Kentucky has been phenomenal on defense, but in their first 37 games (this stat was before the Notre Dame game, not sure where it is now) ...they have played against only THREE top 50 offenses in the country. North Carolina (23rd) is the best, Eastern Kentucky and Vanderbilt are the others.

Needless to say, this match-up of UK and Wisconsin is going to be very very interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom