The College Basketball Post

Sean Singletary
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Derrick Rose has the meanest green light for a freshman in the country....

laugh.gif
NC State with the L at home.

With the incoming freshmen we have coming in here and what we have coming back, I don't see us losing any more than four games this year," Grant began. "Honestly. If we stay healthy, I think we have the talent to be a Final Four team and contend for a national championship. - Gavin Grant (NC State SF)

That's one
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Guess you haven't seen OJ and Eric Gordon play for their respected squads this year.

Really, I have not had the chance to catch them play....So I didn't comment on them....I hope to catch them soon...

Is there anything better than college bball during the day? today we get that
pimp.gif

Sad, but my day from 2:30pm to 1:30 am has been set
laugh.gif
tired.gif

[table][tr][td] Marquette vs Chaminade

2:30 pm ET, ESPN2
11/19/2007 [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td] LSU vs Oklahoma St

5:00 pm ET, ESPN2
11/19/2007 [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
fr-orange.gif
[/td] [td] UCLA vs Maryland

7:00 pm ET, ESPN2
fr-orange.gif
[/td] [td] Princeton vs Duke

9:00 pm ET, ESPN2
fr-orange.gif
[/td] [td] Arizona St vs Illinois

11:30 pm ET, ESPN2
11/19/2007 [/td] [/tr][/table]

That's unhealthy.....

laugh.gif

And, Im gonna miss part of the Duke game tonight as I am driving home for thanksgiving....
smh.gif

He was nice before...but how in the world dude turned into a star in the ACC, I'll never know

capt.ee7013ea55ca4c3c84ebb03b5c83ebc7.miami_providence_basketball_sju129.jpg

pimp.gif

there was nothing vicious about that dunk
laugh.gif
it actually was i jus hate unc...sorry mateallen good looks on those games...its definitely finals week but ima take a break to watch these joints.

This week here is the third best week of basketball behind championship week and the tournament, because you'll have daytime games all week long, and someinteresting ones to boot.

Guess you haven't seen OJ and Eric Gordon play for their respected squads this year.

i havent watched them, do they really shoot more than Rose?

i too have observed Rose out there just jacking em

I think Gordon has put up 15 and 14 shots, and shot over 50% each game..I wouldn't call that jacking.

Mayo certainly has all the freedom in the world

With Rose...thats Memphis...every player has the green light...I'd still say he's doing a good job of being a PG

In what way could they possibly be overrated? 2 straight elite eight's and they return all their best players plus add one of the top 2 freshmen in the country.... um, you sure about that?

you thought i was talking about their preseason ranking.... i meant after having watched them play.

they've won, but they dont look as efficient as they should be. rose is obviously an elite scorer, but he isnt distributing like he should be and isturning the ball over like a frosh. they play great D. but their offense will struggle if CDR and Rose can't hit shots, not too many consistent roleplayers or big men scoring.

those are all problems i see with the Tigers, but like i said, we'll see how the season plays out. they have G'Town in some weeks so we'll see.

i cant wait to watch ucla destroy maryland tonite..
pimp.gif
and then duke and princeton at 9
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

In what way could they possibly be overrated? 2 straight elite eight's and they return all their best players plus add one of the top 2 freshmen in the country.... um, you sure about that?

you thought i was talking about their preseason ranking.... i meant after having watched them play.

they've won, but they dont look as efficient as they should be. rose is obviously an elite scorer, but he isnt distributing like he should be and is turning the ball over like a frosh. they play great D. but their offense will struggle if CDR and Rose can't hit shots, not too many consistent role players or big men scoring.

those are all problems i see with the Tigers, but like i said, we'll see how the season plays out. they have G'Town in some weeks so we'll see.

They are a better team than they have been the last two years.. maybe you didn't watch them very much or something, but this is the exact same formulathey've used with the same style of players and they now have an even deeper bench than ever before. They will be fine, and i'd be surprised if theylost more than 2 games this year (one of those could be in the tournament). This is an inbelievable squad they have, and mostly it starts with defense - theycreate some big mismatches on defense because of their length and quickness, that's where they get a ton of points.. don't look for this team to everbe princeton in the half-court set, they need to get out and run to create points... but that formula seems to work for them and many other teams that cancreate turnovers and fly down the court.
I think you're just looking for them to be a team they aren't.

And I still don't see how they can be overrated... they are rated as one of the top 2 teams in the country, which is exactly where they should be. Therehaven't been enough games yet to really move teams around a lot, but if you can tell me a team that somehow deserves to be ahead of them i'd love tohear about it.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

they've won, but they dont look as efficient as they should be. rose is obviously an elite scorer, but he isnt distributing like he should be and is turning the ball over like a frosh. they play great D. but their offense will struggle if CDR and Rose can't hit shots, not too many consistent role players or big men scoring.

They are a better team than they have been the last two years.. maybe you didn't watch them very much or something, but this is the exact same formula they've used with the same style of players and they now have an even deeper bench than ever before. They will be fine, and i'd be surprised if they lost more than 2 games this year (one of those could be in the tournament). This is an inbelievable squad they have, and mostly it starts with defense - they create some big mismatches on defense because of their length and quickness, that's where they get a ton of points.. don't look for this team to ever be princeton in the half-court set, they need to get out and run to create points... but that formula seems to work for them and many other teams that can create turnovers and fly down the court.

And I still don't see how they can be overrated... they are rated as one of the top 2 teams in the country, which is exactly where they should be. There haven't been enough games yet to really move teams around a lot, but if you can tell me a team that somehow deserves to be ahead of them i'd love to hear about it.

I concur, Calipari's squads have always been uptempo type teams. Even in the half court set they just spread you out and take you off the bounce, and Idon't see any set of guards who can stop CDR and Pooh off the dribble (he's too strong and athletic for most pg's)). Only problem I can foresee isif they face a zone style defense and thats because I'm not to familiar with their shooters. But even style they cause so much turmoil on the defensiveend it would be hard for a lot of teams to get back in time to set up that zone. But we'll see as the season progresses, as of now I can't think of ateam that should be ranked higher than them.

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

JND1... did you goto the UNC game last night?

Nope, had to work. I had to listen to Woody Durham on the radio, his reaction to that dunk was priceless.

F345852.jpg

And they say this dude isn't athletic.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

They are a better team than they have been the last two years.. maybe you didn't watch them very much or something, but this is the exact same formula they've used with the same style of players and they now have an even deeper bench than ever before. They will be fine, and i'd be surprised if they lost more than 2 games this year (one of those could be in the tournament). This is an inbelievable squad they have, and mostly it starts with defense - they create some big mismatches on defense because of their length and quickness, that's where they get a ton of points.. don't look for this team to ever be princeton in the half-court set, they need to get out and run to create points... but that formula seems to work for them and many other teams that can create turnovers and fly down the court.

And I still don't see how they can be overrated... they are rated as one of the top 2 teams in the country, which is exactly where they should be. There haven't been enough games yet to really move teams around a lot, but if you can tell me a team that somehow deserves to be ahead of them i'd love to hear about it.

I concur, Calipari's squads have always been uptempo type teams. Even in the half court set they just spread you out and take you off the bounce, and I don't see any set of guards who can stop CDR and Pooh off the dribble (he's too strong and athletic for most pg's)). Only problem I can foresee is if they face a zone style defense and thats because I'm not to familiar with their shooters. But even style they cause so much turmoil on the defensive end it would be hard for a lot of teams to get back in time to set up that zone. But we'll see as the season progresses, as of now I can't think of a team that should be ranked higher than them.

31.6 percent this year from three... not a real great effort from there. Last year they shot over 35 percent, which was pretty average - they did graduatetheir best three point threat, but I don't think they're the type of team that needs to rely on three's even against the zone.. they are able toget inside most zones and get layups and dunks, they're just that athletic. I think most teams would regret zoning up against them.

We'll see though - i don't think they're unbeatable at all, i just think you have to take care of the ball against them (which isn't easy) andmake sure you don't give up a lot of offensive rebounds (again, not easy). A well-coached team that shoots pretty well from the floor and cleans up theboards would hang with them and have a shot to win it down the stretch.

i can't argue with you because they really do have the talent to be at the top... that may be their style, but when i think back to that OSU game in thetourney last year, i feel that even this new Memphis team still would have lost to OSU for similar reasons: their inside game, turnovers, trouble defendingquick guards, and facing a zone defense are all things that could really cause them to lose. and you can see that a lot of those are dependent on guard playand role players (neither has been solid/consistent so far for Memphis). but obviously there are no Greg Odens out there to really challenge them inside likethat this year, further supporting that they are more than legit title contenders. there is a Roy Hibbert though, and some quick Mike Conley-type guards aswell

i will concede that they deserve their current ranking through this point in the season (which BTW, is not as the #2 team in the country. UNC and UCLA are nowboth ahead of them), but looking at that GTown game a month from now, they could definitely shock a lot of people and drop that one. but i definitely don'tsee them dropping a C-USA game.

i can't argue with you because they really do have the talent to be at the top... that may be their style, but when i think back to that OSU game in the tourney last year, i feel that even this new Memphis team still would have lost to OSU for similar reasons: their inside game, turnovers, trouble defending quick guards, and facing a zone defense are all things that could really cause them to lose. and you can see that a lot of those are dependent on guard play and role players (neither has been solid/consistent so far for Memphis). but obviously there are no Greg Odens out there to really challenge them inside like that this year, further supporting that they are more than legit title contenders. there is a Roy Hibbert though, and some quick Mike Conley-type guards as well

i will concede that they deserve their current ranking through this point in the season (which BTW, is not as the #2 team in the country. UNC and UCLA are now both ahead of them), but looking at that GTown game a month from now, they could definitely shock a lot of people and drop that one. but i definitely don't see them dropping a C-USA game.

All valid points.

Losing to Gtown wouldn't be that huge a deal though, that's a damn good hoyas squad. Problem for Memhpis, like always, is they get no real tests fromjanuary until tournament time.. they sorta get the gonzaga effect. It's gotta be tough to go 3 months of playing cupcakes and then having to flip theswitch come tourney time.

I'm going to the CBE Classic tonight in Kansas City. Can't wait to see the new Sprint Center, it's supposed to be
pimp.gif

Maryland vs. UCLA
Missouri vs. Michigan St.

Should be some very good games tonight.

Iono... He's been lackluster so far this yr averaging a little over 10, its only been 3 games but still, he's due for a good game hopefully Mich St isthat game

Back
Top Bottom