The College Basketball Post

Good win for Uconn...they have a favorable schedule, glad we have the tiebreaker.
The rate ya'll goin' we may not need to go to the tiebreaker
laugh.gif
Refs can't save you EVERY game.

And this is 3 times in a row UConn and Duke have had games on the same day and pulled out wins. Now all an N' need to do is win powerball and I'mgood.
laugh.gif

How is Kansas State down 10 to this bummy +%$ Tech squad?
They have hit one three pointer. One. Coach Self always talks about how great outside shooting can mask aninability to run offense. But at the same time TT is just flat out playing and out hustling KSU thus far.

Wow big win for the U, tough one for the Cuse. Its scarin me that price could leave early, was amazing tonight. Harangody is better than i expected but will gono where at the next level, and i let him know that tonight
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NotoriousLAR

Wow big win for the U, tough one for the Cuse. Its scarin me that price could leave early, was amazing tonight. Harangody is better than i expected but will go no where at the next level, and i let him know that tonight
laugh.gif

really??
grin.gif
wow.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
dude with the ugliest shot in d1 just got his stuff sent packing about 10 rows deep... but KSU is back within 8.. they're taking this game.

I dont think price will do it, but a lot of people around campus have heard grumblings he could leave, i think its just hometown worries, he isnt anywhere nearthe top of any draft boards

^^if Price have a Mike Conley type of tournament, I really doubt he's going risk coming back. However he's one of the most exciting basketball playersin college and want to see him come back for his senior year.

Your right, he would almost be dumb to risk it after whats happened to him with the brain and all. Would love to see him come back and make a run at the NCnext year tho
tongue.gif

[table][tr][td]
February 13, 2008
[font=times new roman, times, serif]Who's #6[/font]
Three Candidates for a Final Four

by Ken Pomeroy
[/td] [td]Printer-
friendly
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Contact
Author
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
About a month ago, I examined who I thought was the fourth-best team in the nation, under the premise that Kansas, Memphis and UCLA were clearly the top three teams. Not much has changed (at least in my opinion) since then. Despite multiple losses by Kansas and UCLA, those three teams are still the best in the country. The two teams I had competing for the four spot were Duke and North Carolina. Duke has proven their status with a slew of double-digit wins both home and away in ACC play. Carolina is in hoops purgatory at the moment, struggling without Ty Lawson. For the sake of argument--or more accurately, to avoid one--I'll table the discussion as to whether they're in the top five so we can move on with things.

History tells us we'll probably get two Final Four teams out of the top five, so the question becomes: who's #6? Not because it really matters to me from a ranking standpoint, but because that next tier of teams will provide the other two that will make a deep tournament run. With that I present three nominees, the first two of which are receiving nary a top ten vote in the latest AP poll.

Louisville

Mr. Gasaway commented on Louisville on Monday, and I would be hard pressed to state their case any better. However, I wanted to relay a personal story involving the Cardinals. Back on the afternoon of January 19, I was merrily switching among a few games that my suite of backyard satellites was pulling in. Among them was Louisville at Seton Hall, and every time I checked in, Louisville was keeping a nice cushion between them and the Pirates. Eventually, I checked out, with the opinion that Louisville was the best team in the nation nobody was talking about. This occurred with about 11 minutes to go in the game and the Cards up 67-57.

I'm too embarrassed to admit how long it took for me to get the news that Seton Hall came back and won that game. I'm more embarrassed for myself that I missed one of the more unlikely stretches of basketball played this season. Over its next 14 possessions, Seton Hall would score on 13, totaling 31 points during that time. That's an amazing accomplishment in a competitive game of any sort, even against a suspect defense. The thing is that Louisville's defense, other than for those 14 possessions, has been outstanding, as it typically is under Rick Pitino. In fact, even including those 14 possessions, the Cardinal defense has still been the best in the Big East. Sure, they shoot a few too many threes for my taste, but if Terrence Williams continues to show restraint in that area and David Padgett remains healthy, there are few teams whose Final Four chances are better. Louisville probably won't win the Big East regular season title, but don't let that fool you. They're the best team in the conference.

Kansas State

The Wildcats, too, are led by a great defense, and the offense is catching up in a hurry. It's been since December 4 that they've been held below a point per possession. Only three times during that stretch have they failed to get 40% of the possible offensive boards, with their worst performance being a 30.8% rate against Oklahoma in an 84-82 win on January 12. They don't always shoot well, and they don't always take care of the ball, but they get plenty of second chances and that's a nice safety net.

Inevitably over the past four seasons, fans of a team that relies on freshmen will try to draw comparisons between their team and the '03 Syracuse team that got much of its offense from freshmen Carmelo Anthony and Gerry McNamara en route to a national title. Kansas State is getting that buzz now, and the obvious similarity is that both were led by an ultra-high usage freshman. Extending the analogy, both teams had excellent regular seasons that were marred by a bad loss around the time the calendar flipped over to February which dropped their stock more than each deserved. In the case of the Orange it was a loss at Rutgers, and for the Wildcats, the loss at Missouri took away some of the buzz from the big win against Kansas. The biggest difference is that K-State controls its own destiny to win its conference. If the Wildcats do that, few will be surprised if they make a deep run in March.

Stanford

The Cardinal provides us with an unusual sight--a team playing great defense that almost never creates steals. They beat Washington State in overtime without a single one. Overall, there are just 13 teams in the nation forcing fewer steals per possession. It's the Jim Calhoun model: stock your team with multiple seven-footers and make sure opponents are encouraged to approach the hoop as often as possible. There's no need to gamble on turnovers when you can force a shooter to dribble into a bad matchup. Because of this, six of its last seven opponents have been held below 42% shooting (eFG).

Stanford lost to Siena before Brook Lopez was available. Since then, they have lost to UCLA and Oregon. Their remaining seven regular season games are manageable, so it's not out of the question that they could get at least a share of the conference title. However, it's more likely that they drop another game or two. That combined with playing games late at night on non-traditional TV outlets will keep them from being a trendy pick in March. Don't be deceived though, Stanford has enough talent to get to the Final Four.

Ken Pomeroy is an author of Basketball Prospectus. You can contact Ken by clicking here or click here to see Ken's other articles.

[h1]Possible options for Indiana[/h1]
posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 | Print Entry

Quick hitters for Wednesday:

• The NCAA can't enforce a postseason ban against Indiana this year because the NCAA committee that overlooks the investigation will not hear the case until June, after the tournament is over. If the Committee on Infractions, which doles out the penalty, finds it necessary in that hearing, then a postseason ban for 2009 is always a possibility.

• If coach Kelvin Sampson can't survive this at Indiana, then there will be a long line at the door in Bloomington. One name that might be at the front of the list is Washington State's Tony Bennett. Bennett played at Wisconsin-Green Bay, his family name is strong in the region and he would be well-liked by the high school coaches in the state. His sister, Kathi Bennett, was the Indiana women's coach from 2000-2005. Bennett signed a new deal at Washington State after being named national Coach of the Year in his first season. He likes living the quiet life in Pullman. However, he has a senior-laden team, and if there were ever a time to move back to the Midwest, this would be the perfect opportunity (if the job became available). If Sampson can't beat the NCAA and/or Indiana doesn't want to be patient, then don't be surprised to see Indiana go with a coach who doesn't have any baggage whatsoever in his past

. • The Florida ties at LSU make it more and more likely coach Anthony Grant will be targeted in Baton Rouge after Virginia Commonwealth's season is over. Former LSU coach John Brady was confident that Grant would be high on the list. The person who gets the gig has to ensure he is tight with the most connected basketball person in the Baton Rouge area: Collis Temple Jr.

• The problem for Kentucky in its at-large quest will be the 41-point loss at Vanderbilt. It will make committee members think again about the early-season home loss to Gardner-Webb. That's a bookend of bad games that will haunt the Wildcats' thin chances of landing an at-large berth, if they aren't able to win the SEC tournament.

• Purdue is having a magical Big Ten season under Matt Painter and led by Robbie Hummel. But what makes it even more special are the long-term effects. Purdue should return everyone next season, save senior Tarrance Crump (16.4 minutes per game) and adds point guard Lewis Jackson (Decatur, Ill.), who is a leading candidate for Mr. Basketball in Illinois. Purdue seems to have recaptured the frenzied passion of the Boilermaker fans in West Lafayette, making it one of the toughest road stops in the Big Ten once again.

• Pitt's Levance Fields didn't get into the Providence game Tuesday night. He was cleared to play, but the Panthers didn't feel great about him during shootaround. So, the plan is to take it slow over the next week and continue to make a game-day decision. The next opportunity is Friday night at Marquette. Pitt wants to make sure Fields can play in March and won't run the risk of rushing him back too soon.

• [color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]For those who love the RPI, I serve up a note from ASU sports information director Doug Tammaro. Through Tuesday, only nine teams had three wins against Top 25 RPI teams: Duke 4-1; Purdue 4-2; Texas 4-2; Memphis 3-0; UCLA 3-1; Arizona State 3-2; Louisville 3-2; Connecticut 3-2; Dayton 3-3[/color]
So much for Memphis being a paper tiger...

Sampson has got to go
This dude has no damn standards. He really think he Alonzo from Training Day and the rules don't apply to him. When shhh like this happenthere should be monetary penalties cause you could potentially F up a players future pending what sanctions are placed.

They already took away his $500,000 bonus....

Dude just dont give a %**@....

Tell me that I am sleepy and misread this.....But Syracuse lost to USF???
eek.gif

roll.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom