The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by petey yup

Look at their losses in the OCC this season...Xavier, ND, Oregon, GMU....Reall good teams.
But still all losses. I may not be 100% correct on this, but strength of schedule only affects the RPI if it's a win. Someone might have to clarify that for me. Regardless, KSU was ranked #1 in RPI for the first month of the season last year. Believe me, I had to hear about it everyday from my K-State friends
laugh.gif

And as far as quality wins this season it's...Kansas, A&M, Oklahoma, Cal, Rider, Nebraska
A&M may not make the tournament. They were dominant last year. Cal is not that good. Rider? Come on.

Last season in the OCC they lost to..New Mexico, Cal, Colorado St., Xavier
They beat New Mexico. Once again, Cal stunk like they do this year. They lost to Xavier by 10 last year and got blown out by them this year. Granted...Xavier is improved this year.

Completely diff Resume's
Again I say...Not Exactly.

Cornell clinches with there next win. But they're in the Ivy and we smacked them as we always do.

You know most people are actually giving Syracuse props just for staying in the bubble picture and being in basically every game until the end with theinjuries we have.

Syracuse will make the tourney and even if we didn't, no explaining will have to be done. Once Dorf went down, noone expected that much.

No ratings for CBS.
I'm all about conspiracy and the corportocracy running things --- and maybe i'm just naive because this is "MY" sport... but Idon't believe this plays any part in the selection process. The committee has strict guidelines for deciding who is in and who is out, and it's basedon performance and performance alone... I don't think you can find any examples over the past 10-20 years where a team was selected over another because ofmarketability -- this isn't college bowl season, where they openly talk about ratings and how teams travel --- These things are not to be a part of theselection process, and I don't believe they are when you look at who picks the teams and how they are told to do it.
I gotta say Lunardi seems kinda off this year to me. For example, No way Ohio St is in right now. RPI is not even in the top 50 and there best win is Syracuse and there ONLY other notable win is Florida. 17-10 8-6 in the L10 and 1-7 against the top 50(#48 is there only one). Umm no.
Agreed - they are out as far as I can tell.

I mean...

this is kind of what was expected when Devendorf tore up his ACL...wasn't it? on top of Rautins hurt and Josh Wright's departure..

Making the tournament would be nice, but...with the depth of the team making it out of the 2nd round isn't happening....

maybe the NIT (if that's what happens)...gives the opportunity to go on a run and have a positive for next season..

Next year yall are stacked....with or without Greene.

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

Look at their losses in the OCC this season...Xavier, ND, Oregon, GMU....Reall good teams.
But still all losses. I may not be 100% correct on this, but strength of schedule only affects the RPI if it's a win. Someone might have to clarify that for me. Regardless, KSU was ranked #1 in RPI for the first month of the season last year. Believe me, I had to hear about it everyday from my K-State friends
laugh.gif

And as far as quality wins this season it's...Kansas, A&M, Oklahoma, Cal, Rider, Nebraska
A&M may not make the tournament. They were dominant last year. Cal is not that good. Rider? Come on.

Last season in the OCC they lost to..New Mexico, Cal, Colorado St., Xavier
They beat New Mexico. Once again, Cal stunk like they do this year. They lost to Xavier by 10 last year and got blown out by them this year. Granted...Xavier is improved this year.

Completely diff Resume's
Again I say...Not Exactly.

Sorry, you don't know what you're talking about at all.

Petey - funny you mention OSU having a weak resume.. Katz talked about it today in his insider...
[h1]Kent State the new Mason?[/h1]
posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 | Print Entry

Kent State should be this season's George Mason. Does that mean the Golden Flashes will get to the Final Four. Nope. I'm not going there. But what Kent State did last Saturday during BracketBusters was get a road win on national television that suddenly catapulted Kent State (23-5, 11-2) into the rankings and assuredly in the NCAA at-large picture.

Two years ago, George Mason went to Wichita State and beat the Shockers on the road and that seemed to validate what the Patriots were doing in the CAA. It may have ultimately helped them get a bid when they didn't win the CAA tournament.

Kent State coach Jim Christian cited the Mason example Tuesday.

"It's just like them, winning in a tough environment," Christian said. "It's an advantage to be the road team in the BracketBuster. Everyone wants to be home but the chance to play on the road in a place you normally wouldn't get is an advantage."

Christian said the Golden Flashes needed to get a "signature-type win. We didn't have that. We needed a statement-type game for people to realize we were pretty good in a pretty good league."

Kent State did beat George Mason earlier this season but that isn't the same as taking out a ranked team like the Gaels on their home court, a place where Saint Mary's had beaten Oregon, Gonzaga and Seton Hall earlier this season.

The Golden Flashes finish with two of the final three games on the road -- at Bowling Green, Miami (Ohio) and at Akron.

"We've got to win the championship of the MAC first [before the NCAA]," Christian said.

Christian said that getting ranked now obviously means more than earlier in the season. Plenty of teams were ranked early in the season that are no where to be found now (see: Dayton and Ole Miss). Meanwhile, the MAC will likely be cheering against Kent State in the conference tournament so it can get two bids out of the league for the first time since 1999.

Quick Hitters
Kent State lead guard Al Fisher is a great example of how recruiting can be overhyped. Fisher was a late pickup. He was a JC guard out of Redlands CC (Okla.). The Golden Flashes needed a player in July, scoured for a guard and found Fisher. They checked him out academically and got him registered right before classes began in the fall. He's leading the team in scoring at 14.4 points and 4.3 assists.

• Monday afternoon we taped Organizing the Madness, a show with Greg Shaheen, the NCAA's Vice President who is in charge of the NCAA Tournament. It will air Tuesday night on ESPNU at 6 p.m. ET.

For the most part it was our way of showing a bit of what we did earlier this month at the mock bracket seminar in Indianapolis.

But there were a few key points that beg repeating:

We need to remember not to get caught up in a team's conference record. A great example is Ohio State. The Buckeyes are 8-6 in the Big Ten. On the surface that looks like a strong resume builder in a conference as established as the Big Ten. But look closer at the record and you'll see that the eight wins came against Illinois twice, Northwestern twice, Penn State, Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota. Those are the bottom six teams in the Big Ten. Ohio State hasn't beaten any of the top four so far -- Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Michigan State. That's why if you were to examine a 7-7 Arizona State in the Pac-10, you'd see that ASU has conference wins over Arizona (two) and Stanford among its seven wins. Arizona is also 7-7 in the league and Stanford is in second place in the Pac-10. So, this is an example where a worse conference record on the surface has better wins than another conference record in a fellow high-major conference.

This shouldn't come as a surprise since this has happened before where teams with nine or 10 wins in a high-major conference don't make the field.

But coaches, fans, and the like need to be reminded by the committee that the conference record isn't a determining factor for a bid.

Monday night, when I asked West Virginia's Bob Huggins to state his case as to why the Mountaineers should be in the field, the first thing he said was that they were 8-6 in the best conference in the country. So, let's examine the eight wins. West Virginia has one win over a team ahead of it in the standings -- Marquette. One of the eight wins came against a team that is just behind it in the standings in Syracuse. But the other six wins came against teams in the bottom of the Big East -- St. John's, South Florida, Providence (two), Rutgers and Seton Hall. That's why upcoming games against Connecticut and Pitt will be critical to the Mountaineers' chances of earning a bid. They still might earn a berth but hanging the bid process on a conference record is an easy out for the coach when the committee, as Shaheen said, will strip away the record. His line Monday was that these teams should be looked at as essentially all independent teams. Just look at their schedule and determine who they played, where they played and how they played.

Clearly, that won't be advantageous to a lower-profile team since they won't have as many opportunities to pick up quality wins. And that's why it's even more important to win games out of conference for teams like Davidson, which played a host of higher-profile schools (UCLA, UNC and Duke) but didn't win any of them.

• There are still two weeks to play in the regular season but Tennessee's win over Memphis should make Duke and Carolina fans pause. If the Vols were to secure a No. 1 seed by winning the SEC and let's say winning at least one of the next two road games (at Vanderbilt and at Florida) then the Vols would likely be in Charlotte as the top seed. Charlotte is the closest venue to Tennessee and if the Vols are the top seed then they would go, not North Carolina or Duke.

• Texas' win at Kansas State on Monday night was yet another indicator to me that the Longhorns should be a No. 1 seed based on who they've beaten (UCLA, Tennessee, Kansas, Oklahoma and Baylor). As of Tuesday, the Longhorns should be a No. 1 seed in the Midwest (Memphis in the South, and I still say UCLA in the West).

No ratings for CBS.
I'm all about conspiracy and the corportocracy running things --- and maybe i'm just naive because this is "MY" sport... but I don't believe this plays any part in the selection process.
i kind of disagree, but i think it could go both ways. big name programs with slightly lesser qualifications make it over mid-major teams all thetime. you could argue that it's because of the perceived talent level of the mid-majors or you could just as easily argue that's it because the bigname programs will draw in more viewers. then again, people route for the underdog in March Madness more than any other sporting event so you could almostargue that Eastern-Tech-A&M-State-Wesleyan of Ohio could possibly bring in more viewers hoping for an upset of a team like Duke. but then again, CBS knowspeople are going to watch regardless of who's playing, so it could be a non-factor...

My thing with the whole "No ratings for CBS!" conspiracy theory is, it's March Madness. It's the NCAA Tournament. People are going to watchregardless. Sure, people would like to be able to see the best player in the country, but it's not going to sway ratings or ticket sales one way or theother at all, really.

And all the teams that get all the all the talk about being on the bubble...

how often do we hear about them after the first Sunday???

and..

I think CBS is a non factor

Originally Posted by jrellcuse10

It shouldn't matter what conference you play in, a win is a win.

Huh? But we did beat them....

I was referring to the conference. You said that they play in the Ivy League. You were trying to imply that's the only reason they're tournamentbound. They won the games they were supposed to and Cuse did not. Doesn't matter to me if Syracuse beat Cornell. Who folded when they did?

Ok well winning games in the Ivy is a lot different then winning games in the BE.

Whatever but they are winning. So they should be justly rewarded. I've come to accept that 'Cuse will be in the NIT again. Next year, if wearen't plagued with injuries and gain experience from this year, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Originally Posted by jrellcuse10

Ok well winning games in the Ivy is a lot different then winning games in the BE.

Whatever but they are winning. So they should be justly rewarded. I've come to accept that 'Cuse will be in the NIT again. Next year, if we aren't plagued with injuries and gain experience from this year, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Yea. I find it hard to believe we are going to take Pitt and Marquette, then WIN A GAME IN THE TOURNAMENT.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by dfresh244

Originally Posted by The Lowa

Originally Posted by D723

You know what would make this loss so much better? Tyreke Evans signing.

I really think that he will sign with Louisville

Its been stated that Louisville is out of the race. But we'll see

I hope not with him they will have the best incoming class.

I gotta say Lunardi seems kinda off this year to me. For example, No way Ohio St is in right now. RPI is not even in the top 50 and there best win is Syracuse and there ONLY other notable win is Florida. 17-10 8-6 in the L10 and 1-7 against the top 50(#48 is there only one). Umm no.

OSU did not bet the top four teams in there conference unless they win at IU tonight. They should not be in at all.

Jerome Dyson is back. Now we will see Uconn at full strength.

Now i defiantly think they are favorites to win the Big East tournament.

EDIT-

Yea he should not start. Austrie has picked it up a lot from last year. He can shoot pretty well and his Ft's are on point.

Like you said he will be a goos spark off the bench and just make them better.

I don't think he should get his starting job back...

on that team he can be valuable scoring punch off the bench...and Austrie has been doing fine, and is again tonight...

and you mean the BET, right?

Since when did Dickey Simpkins start his commentating career?

He and Kenny Albert are doing the Uconn game...weird
laugh.gif

his catch phrase seems to be "HOT LIKE FIRE!!"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

- Adrien dominating in the first half...but Rutgers hanging around...always a tough place to play..

- OSU still in this....if Ebanks doesn't still go to IU...next year is gona be rough

Back
Top Bottom