The College Basketball Post

Word
smh.gif
. I can't wait until AAU though
pimp.gif

Yea AAU is fun as hail with a good amount of
nerd.gif
everywhere but you can't wait until then to go hard mella... What you puttin up a game?

So far this year Im averaging, 18.5 ( I think? or something close to that) and 9 assists a game
pimp.gif
. I'm about to step my steal column up though.

Oh you lookin good numbers wise, I take it you're a pg if you bump it to 22-24 with the 9 helpers you'd be golden, so what's the issue? Not gettingit done in the most important stat, W's?

Originally Posted by PACMAN301

So far this year Im averaging, 18.5 ( I think? or something close to that) and 9 assists a game
pimp.gif
. I'm about to step my steal column up though.

Goto butler if you can seriously get a scholly there.. they've got a great freshmen big man there putting in work, and you would learn from a greatcoaching staff.. plus if you're a guard, you get to shoot three's all damn day..

The freshman class would like to welcome Austin Freeman and Chris Wright

stay a while fellas

pimp.gif

also, Corey Chandler is killin at Rutgers

Originally Posted by allen3xis

The freshman class would like to welcome Austin Freeman and Chris Wright

stay a while fellas

pimp.gif

also, Corey Chandler is killin at Rutgers

Yeah he is good. He did have 7 turnovers though
eyes.gif
. By the way.....whydid he commit to Rutgers?
Did he want to stay close to home?

Laval Lucas Perry is transferring from University of Arizona.

Sad to see him go because in his brief minutes he showed promise but with Wise stepping up he isn't going to get much PT this year and next year BrandonJennings will start and in '09 we have another 5 star PG in Abdul Gaddy coming in and since Wise is clearly a 4 year player he would be a career 3rd stringPG. Some school is going to get a good PG there's just too much of a backlog at AZ at the guard position.

138th player in his class (2007) and 22nd ranked PG

526424.jpg

Figured i'd share a video on my nittany lions big come from behind win over the weekend... give petey a look at the big ten beating up on the big east
laugh.gif

Nah - we just beat Va Tech a few weeks back - that was a better win than this.. plus we beat Illinois on the road two years ago when they were ranked #6 in thecountry, ending their 33 game home winning streak. I know we're a complete joke compared to Syracuse, but we ain't that bad
laugh.gif
We pretty much hangwith whatever competition we're playing against, but can only hold on to beat the mediocre and bad teams, with the occasional upset over a big team athome. The BJC ain't that easy to come in and win for the most part, and we're headed in the right direction with 3 really promising freshmen to goalong with a couple of solid upper classmen... we'll never be a powerhouse, but we could get into that illinois type range, where we make the tournamentconsistently and sometimes make a push for a final four run or something.. I'd take that.
smile.gif
nobody thought they could do it and they have..

but we could get into that illinois type range, where we make the tournament consistently and sometimes make a push for a final four run
Damn, you beat a bottom tier BE team and now you're talking final 4?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by petey yup

but we could get into that illinois type range, where we make the tournament consistently and sometimes make a push for a final four run
laugh.gif

not this year petey.. damn, pay attention. I said our future looks good, i'm talking 5-10 years down the line... this is the first year we'vegotten the kind of recruit needed for that sort of change.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

we just beat Va Tech a few weeks back - that was a better win than this..
imo, this year Seton Hall > this year VA Tech

You might be right honestly... the Hall has some shooters on that team.. they play horrible defense though, or at least they did against us.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by petey yup

laugh.gif

not this year petey.. damn, pay attention. I said our future looks good, i'm talking 5-10 years down the line... this is the first year we've gotten the kind of recruit needed for that sort of change.

Defiantly true. You could a few years down the road.

Yeah man, this school isn't that good at basketball. Imma lead them to state though
pimp.gif
. We're undefeated right now though:pimp:

The Renaldo Balkman Threshold
Identifying the Best Defenders

by Ken Pomeroy
Printer-
friendly
Contact
Author

If you pay attention to hoops analysis, you'll notice it tends to focus on offense a lot more than it does defense. Whether the analyst prefers to watchgames and ignore the numbers, watch the stats and ignore the games, or find some happy medium in between, the emphasis is on what happens with the ball, notwithout it. This is in part because the only defensive measures recorded are blocked shots, steals and defensive rebounds. Yes, I would argue that defensiverebounding should be included in the evaluation of defense, because it directly results in preventing scoring. I would also concede that defensive reboundingis a different kind of defense, since unlike the other two measures, it only matters after a shot has been missed. So that leaves us with just blocks andsteals to tell us about a player's ability to disrupt the opposing team's offense before a shot is launched.

Complicating matters is that blocks and steals are so rare. Big-time shot blockers will record a rejection on about one in ten possessions. We don't knowtheir impact on the other nine. That's just talking about the top shot-blockers in the nation. What about the less proficient big men who still rack upblocks, but on one in 20 possessions? It's even more difficult to assess a player's impact based on his steals. The best at forcing steals will do soon about one in 20 possessions. That leaves 95% of the player's possessions unaccounted. What if a player is going for steals all the time, and puttinghimself out of position when he's not successfully causing a turnover?

So it's difficult to accept that block and steal rates are a foolproof way to identify who is making an impact on the defensive end. I am more than willingto accede to traditional scouting in this area. However, one thing I have noticed in the brief time I have been gathering tempo-free individual defensivestatistics is that being proficient at both blocking shots and forcing steals is a strong indicator that a player is doing disruptive things on thosepossessions where he doesn't get credit for doing either.

Specifically, the numbers I look for are a block rate of at least 6.0 with a steal rate of at least 2.5. In fact, these benchmarks are probably too lofty.I've been tracking these stats for the past three seasons, and only two players playing at least 24 minutes per game in power conferences getting have beenable to reach these figures. Those players are Joakim Noah (who did it twice) and Shelden Williams, who were both among the best defenders in recent years.

I've called this the Renaldo Balkman Rule for a reason, though. Balkman, you'll recall, was a junior forward at South Carolina during the 2006 season.After the season ended, Balkman decided to test the NBA waters and put his name in the draft. This was met with widespread mockery and derision, at least bythe people who bothered to care. Later in the spring, Balkman decided to leave his name in the draft, which was met by more mockery and derision. When he wasselected in the first round by the Knicks, again you had mockery and derision. This time it was directed towards Knicks GM Isiah Thomas.

During his final college season, Balkman posted a block rate of 5.9 and a steal rate of 4.1. He didn't quite qualify for the rule I created in his name,but against a difficult schedule, he was close enough to deserve some attention. And even though he's been playing for the Knicks, his career has beenconsistent with with being one of the top collegiate players on defense that season. In fact, by some advanced measures, he was one of the best defenders inthe NBA last season. You could say that Thomas and Balkman got the last laugh on their critics, except that both have bigger things to worry about, like beingassociated with a team that is on the brink of becoming a laughingstock. However, Balkman's decision to join the NBA should have been taken more seriouslyfrom the beginning given his block and steal numbers.

So far this season, there are just three players from power conferences meeting the Balkman threshold: Kansas sophomore Darrell Arthur, Nebraska senior AleksMaric and LSU freshman Anthony Randolph. Arthur actually met the benchmarks last season as a part-time player, and Kansas should be able to maintain its statusas the best defensive squad in the land with him as its anchor. Maric is the unlikeliest member of this trio because he has never qualified in either categoryin his previous three seasons in Lincoln. So far this season he has 15 blocks and 13 steals. All of last season, while averaging nearly 30 minutes per game, hehad 33 and 15, respectively.

However, the player to focus on is Randolph. In a year with so many impact freshmen, it's becoming clear early on that the 6'10" Randolph has acase for being the best of all of them on the defensive end. The season is young, but Randolph's block rate is at 11.2 (30th in the nation) with a stealrate of 2.9. LSU's early schedule has had its share of cream puffs, but Randolph has proved his defensive worth against the more skilled opponents he'sseen. Against the Tigers' three best opponents so far--Oklahoma State, Arizona State and Villanova--he's posted a 9.3 block rate and a 1.3 steal rate.The steal rate has particularly suffered, which indicates he's a longshot to be a member of the Balkman club by season's end, but he shouldn't bedismissed as a potential defensive stalwart.

Randolph's impact came to light during the Villanova game last Thursday. It was an epic victory for Villanova, as they overcame a 21-point deficit over thefinal 8:48 to beat LSU 68-67. The final 4:08 of that comeback came without Randolph on the court, after he picked up his fifth foul. Villanova would have theball ten times from that point on and they scored nine times for a grand total of 19 points. At the end of the game, Randolph's defensive presence could bequantified like so: In his 50 defensive possessions on the floor, Villanova scored 33 points, and in his 23 possessions as a spectator, the Wildcats scored 35points. In his 28:11 on the court, Randolph finished the game with a plus/minus of +21 on a night when his team was -1.

Anthony Randolph isn't Tyrus Thomas, and LSU isn't going to the Final Four with this freshman shot blocker. However, for a team that was pickednext-to-last or dead last in the SEC West by just about everybody, there is reason to believe that this season could be much more interesting than that. Whatis more certain is that opposing SEC teams are going to struggle to put up points against LSU assuming Mr. Randolph stays healthy and out of foul trouble. Hecan block shots and get steals, and when he's not doing either he's still making it difficult for the opposition to score.

Ken Pomeroy is an author of Basketball Prospectus. You can contact Ken by clicking here or click here to see Ken's other articles.

Ohio 61, Maryland 55.

If anyone else caught Jerome Tillman's dunks on the Maryland big men, well, you already know. Such a big win for Leon Williams, who is from Baltimore andwasn't even recruited by Maryland. He put up 15 points and 15 boards.

[table][tr][td]East[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TIME (ET)[/td] [td]MATCHUP[/td] [td]TV[/td] [td]PPV[/td] [td]TICKETS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7:00 PM ET[/td] [td]Florida Gulf Coast at Army[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7:00 PM ET[/td] [td]George Washington at Binghamton[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7:00 PM ET[/td] [td]Harvard at Long Island[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7:00 PM ET[/td] [td]Rutgers at N.J.I.T.[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]West[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TIME (ET)[/td] [td]MATCHUP[/td] [td]TV[/td] [td]PPV[/td] [td]TICKETS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9:05 PM ET[/td] [td]Boise State at Utah Valley State[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Midwest[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TIME (ET)[/td] [td]MATCHUP[/td] [td]TV[/td] [td]PPV[/td] [td]TICKETS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9:00 PM ET[/td] [td]Norfolk State at Air Force[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]South[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TIME (ET)[/td] [td]MATCHUP[/td] [td]TV[/td] [td]PPV[/td] [td]TICKETS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7:00 PM ET[/td] [td]Citadel at Davidson[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7:00 PM ET[/td] [td]Campbell at North Carolina-Asheville[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8:00 PM ET[/td] [td]Winthrop at Mississippi[/td] [td] [/td] [td]
networkLogo_fullCourt.gif

[/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8:00 PM ET[/td] [td]McNeese State at Louisiana-Lafayette[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8:00 PM ET[/td] [td]Miami (FL) at Mississippi State[/td] [td] [/td] [td]
networkLogo_fullCourt.gif

[/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8:00 PM ET[/td] [td]Centenary at Louisiana Tech[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Tickets[/td] [/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom