The College Basketball Post

Imagine what college basketball would look like today if players stayed in college for four years just as they did in the 1970s, 1980s and into the mid-1990s.Here are most of the top players who would still have college eligibility: the All-Imagine Team. Don't get caught up in the rankings but look instead atthe names … and then imagine.

All-Imagine First Team
Greg Oden, Ohio State
Kevin Durant, Texas
Marvin Williams, North Carolina
Rudy Gay, UConn
Dwight Howard, Southwest Atlanta (Ga.) Christian Academy

J.R. Smith

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

If J.R. Smith had gone to college, he would have been wearing Carolina blue.

All-Imagine Second Team
LaMarcus Aldridge, Texas
Tyrus Thomas, LSU
Al Horford, Florida
Rajon Rondo, Kentucky
Jeff Green, Georgetown

All-Imagine Third Team
Josh Smith, Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.)
Thaddeus Young, Georgia Tech
Javaris Crittenton, Georgia Tech
Julian Wright, Kansas
Brandan Wright, North Carolina

All-Imagine Fourth Team
Corey Brewer, Florida
Aaron Afflalo, UCLA
Spencer Hawes, Washington
J.R. Smith, St. Benedict's (N.J.) Prep
Al Jefferson, Prentiss (Miss.) High School

All-Imagine Fifth Team
Joakim Noah, Florida
Nick Young, USC
Jordan Farmar, UCLA
Wilson Chandler, DePaul
Glen Davis, LSU

All-Imagine Sixth Team
Jason Smith, Colorado State
Rodney Stuckey, Eastern Washington
Ramon Sessions, Nevada
Shawne Williams, Memphis
Daequan Cook, Ohio State

Sebastian Telfair #30

Brian Babineau/NBAE via Getty Images

Sebastian Telfair was as hyped as any high school player ever, but he has failed to live up to the billing in the pros. How would he have done in college?

All-Imagine Seventh Team
Taurean Green, Florida
Josh McRoberts, Duke
Andrew Bynum, St. Joseph (N.J.) High School
Sebastian Telfair, Lincoln (N.Y.) High School
Dorell Wright, South Kent Prep (Conn.) High School

All-Imagine Eighth Team
Shaun Livingston, Peoria Central (Ill.) High School
Robert Swift, Bakersfield (Calif.) High School
Gerald Green, Gulf Shores Academy (Texas)
Martell Webster, Seattle (Wash.) Prep
C.J. Miles, Skyline High School (Texas)
Monta Ellis, Lanier High School (Miss.)
Andray Blatche, South Kent Prep (Conn.)

It boggles the mind to think what the game would be like if these players had stuck around and were dotted across the college basketball landscape right now.These are very significant losses for college basketball, to say the least. After looking at that list, do you think college basketball would be better ifthese players were still in college? You bet. College basketball is still great, but it isn't as great as it should be. And, the NBA draft is to blame.

Jay Bilas is a college basketball analyst for ESPN.

Arizona has their season opener against NAU tonight.

smokin.gif

Love looked solid to me.. but I wasn't blown away by him.. i don't see how he's the best player in this class like many people said... In fact, idon't even see that he's that great of a pro prospect at this point.. but then again, what do I know?
laugh.gif

I'll need more time to really get a feel for him, I only got to watch the first half and that's not enough time to make a fair assessment of his game,but the way people talked about him you'd think he was gonna be Hakeem down under the hoop.. just wasn't anything I found to be all that impressiveabout him after one half of watching him play... a good prospect, for sure, but not a real game changer.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

-University of Washington senior guard Ryan Appleby will be sidelined up to six weeks after fracturing his thumb during a rebounding drill in practice on Wednesday.

great.
eyes.gif
at least joel smith's playing again.
pimp.gif

We MUST land a big man in recruiting.....
We landed 2 top 50 PF's for next year. POWER FORWARDS! WHY?! We need a legit center. We put all our stock in Monroe and dude burned us forGeorgetown. I started questioning Coach K's recruiting 2 years ago and nothing to this day has changed my mind. We'll be a top 10-15 team every yearbut I don't see us being legit title contenders like we used to be year in and year out, not until Coach K changes his recruiting ways.
Love looked solid to me.. but I wasn't blown away by him.. i don't see how he's the best player in this class like many people said... In fact, i don't even see that he's that great of a pro prospect at this point.. but then again, what do I know?
Nah I agree with you Craftsy. Even in high school I thought he was a good player but the best in his class? Not a chance. I don't see himbeing a great pro either but a decent role player ala Haslem, Scalabrine, etc
laugh.gif
Dude is a couple White Castle burgers away from developing asthma. How do you have the body type of a newborn?

After starting the Mid-Major report onSportingNews.com last season, I'm really excited to get started again.

Tomorrow night I'm hitting my first game of the season: Davidson vs. North Carolina at Bobcats Arena. Really looking forward to seeing how Davidson stacksup against one of the big boys so early in the year. I'll also be hitting up Davidson vs. Duke next month.

The Mid-Major report will be back on our site in the near future, probably once per week instead of twice this season because I've got so many projectsgoing.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Craftsy have you been or will be capping at all?

some soft lines to open the season
Unfortunately, no... I gave up on football earlier this season too, just didn't have enough time to study the lines and was losing money andnot enjoying it... I took all my money out of my gambling accounts last week actually, poker and all.. putting it towards christmas gifts and what not.. I wantback in the game badly though, i've got a gambling jones i can't shake - i've been able to control it well enough though, so I don't considerit a "problem"... just a jones for now.
nerd.gif

Nah I agree with you Craftsy. Even in high school I thought he was a good player but the best in his class? Not a chance. I don't see him being a great pro either but a decent role player ala Haslem, Scalabrine, etc
laugh.gif
Dude is a couple White Castle burgers away from developing asthma. How do you have the body type of a newborn?

Cool - so it's not just me
laugh.gif

After starting the Mid-Major report on SportingNews.com last season, I'm really excited to get started again.

Tomorrow night I'm hitting my first game of the season: Davidson vs. North Carolina at Bobcats Arena. Really looking forward to seeing how Davidson stacks up against one of the big boys so early in the year. I'll also be hitting up Davidson vs. Duke next month.

The Mid-Major report will be back on our site in the near future, probably once per week instead of twice this season because I've got so many projects going.

Great to see you posting in here Chris - always enjoy reading your work, glad to see you're busy --- I assume that's a good thing in the businessyou're in. Keep us up to date on all your writings if you can, I still have your page subscribed to I think.. i'll have to double check that.

Syracuse, from that Oh-so-tough big east, is getting all they can handle from the a-10's best
laugh.gif

Hopefully this shuts petey up for awhile about how great the big east and syracuse are... something tells me it won't.

this idiot on cuse throwing up the <> is pissing me off.

the a-10 is no slouch
pimp.gif
(i'm a big bonnies fan)

cuse is a joke. i hope playing virtually no road non-con games and not leaving the state of ny comes back to bite them.

Originally Posted by petey yup

Simmer down penn st fans and co.

JONNY!!!!!!
pimp.gif

Can't wait to play Ohio St.

Your only defense against what I say is that I goto Penn State... like that's some crime. I can't help our team has no basketball tradition, sorrybud. Admit your team looked like crap, like usual against any sort of decent competition. There's no shame there.

Donte Greene not impressive at all imo...all dude does is stand on the perimiter and wait for the ball to come to his side

Flynn is nice

Onauku has been better than I expected

Still, if I'm a Cuse fan..I can't be all that excited

Like crap? I take it you just watched the end of the game. We looked great at times, sloppy at others. It's a young team and St joes is solid. It'sgonna take time for our young guys to really get it together.

Back
Top Bottom