The College Basketball Post

1195071734.jpg

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm interested to see the phantom calls tonight

The Davidson game tonight will be good. A huge test for our team. Curry and Co. can light it up from the perimeter, and that's something that we'vestruggled trying to guard against in the past. Defense will be the key tonight and I hope Roy puts Ginyard and Green on Curry all night. He would abuseWayne.

If yall are going to stay on Hansbrough's nuts all year, at least spell his name correctly.
laugh.gif

JND1, sorry for the mispelling after I typed it I thought didnt look right. Also, who is the doofy looking ginger in your avy right before Roy "Idon't give a @%+% about North Carolina" Williams"?

In regards to the article by Yoni Cohen, if you look at some of the upsets this year I would think that these 2 wins by Syracuse are pretty solid.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

JND1, sorry for the mispelling after I typed it I thought didnt look right. Also, who is the doofy looking ginger in your avy right before Roy "I don't give a @%+% about North Carolina" Williams"?

In regards to the article by Yoni Cohen, if you look at some of the upsets this year I would think that these 2 wins by Syracuse are pretty solid.

If I'm not mistaken that is Surry Wood.
And I'm going to miss most, if not all, of the Davidson game tonight
mad.gif
. Basketball practice was supposed to be from 2:30 to 5:30 which would have been perfect, butit's now 5:30 to 8:30.
So at least its not a big game, but still is UNC basketball
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by 23MichaelJordan45

Originally Posted by OUChrisLitt

So at least its not a big game, but still is UNC basketball
eek.gif

Davidson?

Yeah, there a perimeter team, and like JND1 said, they will have a hard time defending the perimeter.http://JND1.u.yuku.com

Davidson has nothing on UNC talent wise, but they are not playing chumps here -- this is a veteran mid-major squad, the type that preys upon big favoritesearly in the season and early in the ncaa tournament... getting a shot at #1, one of the team that constantly steals the spotlight from them in their ownstate, winning tonight would be the career highlight for all these guys.. they're going to give UNC their absolute best shot to the chin tonight.
That being said - they won't be able to sneak up on the tarheels, because UNC has seen what they're capable of doing last year and wont'take them as lightly as you do, sir.

Here's a pregame writeup from davidsonbasketball.blogspot.com:

Everybody's Back: The 2007-08 Wildcats return every scholarship player from last year's 29-5 team, while adding three freshmen to the roster. Head coach Bob McKillop's starting lineup boasts seniors Thomas Sander, Jason Richards and Boris Meno. Junior Max Paulhus Gosselin serves as the unit's defensive stopper, and Stephen Curry is back hoping to build on a terrific freshman campaign.

Curry Draining Threes Like His Father: Dell Curry was known during his days with the Charlotte Hornets for his marksman-like shooting ability from behind the three-point line, and his son followed suit during his first collegiate season, connecting on 40.8 percent of his shots behind the arc en route to a 21.5 points per game scoring average. Curry ranked ninth nationally in scoring (second among freshman) and broke the NCAA single-season freshman mark for three-point field goals (122).

Serbian Connection: UNC's Deon Thompson and Curry both played this summer for the USA-under 19 team in the World Championships held in Novi Sad, Serbia. The U.S. squad lost to host Serbia 74-69 in the gold medal game.

Little Known Fact: Richards ranked second nationally in assists (249) and assists per game (7.3) last season.

2006-07 notes: Southern Conference regular season and tournament champions ... second straight trip to NCAA Tournament, ninth overall ... Third straight 20-season, seventh under McKillop ... School record 29 wins ... Set 14 school records (7 school / 7 individual) ... Won 25 of its last 27 contests ... Top-20 Nationally in eight major statistical categories

Last Meeting: North Carolina topped Davidson 82-58 at the Smith Center on Jan. 3, 2006. Tyler Hansbrough scored 23 points and Reyshawn Terry added 16 points and four blocks as the Wildcats were held to 32.3 percent shooting on the night. The Tar Heels out-rebounded Davidson 54-31.

Series History: North Carolina and Davidson have battled 71 times over the years, with UNC winning 60 of those contests and 33 of the last 37. The Tar Heels and Wildcats met twice almost every year from the late 1920s to the birth of the Atlantic Coast Conference in the mid-1950s. Carolina hasn't lost to Davidson away from Chapel Hill since Feb. 18, 1952.

Background
Enrollment: 1,700
Conference: Southern Conference
Nickname: Wildcats
Colors: Red & Black
Head Coach: Bob McKillop
Record at DC: 311-218
Last Year: 29-5 (17-1)

Projected Starters (with 06-07 stats):
2 Jason Richards (6-2, 190, Sr.) - 13.5 ppg, 7.3 apg
30 Stephen Curry (6-2, 180, So.) - 21.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg
14 Max Paulhus Gosselin (6-6, 195, Jr.) - 4.8 ppg, 3.1 rpg
15 Thomas Sander (6-8, 220, Sr.) - 13.2 ppg, 6.4 rpg
5 Boris Meno (6-8, 220, Sr.) - 11.0 ppg, 8.2 rpg

Key Reserves:
22 William Archambault (6-6, 210, So.) - 7.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg
41 Andrew Lovedale (6-8, 215, Jr.) - 4.9 ppg, 5.9 rpg
24 Bryant Barr (6-4, 185, So.) - 3.5 ppg
23 Stephen Rossiter (6-7, 230, So.) - 1.5 ppg, 2.0 rpg
1 Brendan McKillop (6-0, 175, Fr.) - Charlotte (N.C.) Catholic

For the record - i believe UNC wins this, but it could be fun for awhile.

My point was this: to say playing the nation's best mid-major team isn't somehow compelling or a "big game" is surprising to me.

It's a big game for both teams. Looks good on Davidson's schedule and will do wonders for their RPI and if they pull off a win it'll vault theminto the top 25. UNC will get kudos for scheduling a major mid-major for their first game and not some cupcake as well as showing some love to a fellow NorthCarolina school. UNC's inability to guard the perimeter could hurt them from the get-go but I don't see this game being that close come the finalbuzzer. I'm interested in seeing what improvement Lawson has made from freshman to sophmore year and my dude Deon killin' dudes on the blocks. Damn Iwish he was in a Duke jersey
frown.gif

Unfortunately, no... I gave up on football earlier this season too, just didn't have enough time to study the lines and was losing money and not enjoying it... I took all my money out of my gambling accounts last week actually, poker and all.. putting it towards christmas gifts and what not.. I want back in the game badly though, i've got a gambling jones i can't shake - i've been able to control it well enough though, so I don't consider it a "problem"... just a jones for now
We have the exact same life lol, that was trippy reading that.

Now that I am capping games just to see how i do without betting actual money, im over 65 percent in NCAAF. life sucks as a bettor lol

[h3]http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/27337[/h3]
[h3]Trojans on verge of big signing[/h3] [h5]Posted: Wednesday November 14, 2007 07:56AM ET[/h5]
The day before USC played UCLA in February 2006, Tim Floyd flew to Cincinnati to watch O.J. Mayo compete in a high school basketball game before doubling back to guide his Trojans to an upset victory over the Bruins. The USC coach won't have to travel quite as far to keep tabs on the anticipated star of his latest recruiting class. Compton High senior guard DeMar DeRozan could sign a national letter of intent with the Trojans as soon as today, the first day of the early signing period. DeRozan, ranked as the No. 2 overall prospect in the nation by Rivals.com, said Tuesday he was debating whether to sign now or wait until the spring, though he maintained that he would be firmly committed to the Trojans even if he deferred his signing.

Originally Posted by WstCoastGotti

Unfortunately, no... I gave up on football earlier this season too, just didn't have enough time to study the lines and was losing money and not enjoying it... I took all my money out of my gambling accounts last week actually, poker and all.. putting it towards christmas gifts and what not.. I want back in the game badly though, i've got a gambling jones i can't shake - i've been able to control it well enough though, so I don't consider it a "problem"... just a jones for now
We have the exact same life lol, that was trippy reading that.

Now that I am capping games just to see how i do without betting actual money, im over 65 percent in NCAAF. life sucks as a bettor lol

Maaannn... I know how that goes. I am straight cash in the bank when there's no money on the line, but the second I throw even 5 bucks on a gamethings go terribly wrong. I wish I was just awful at it so I could fade myself, but i'm stuck right in that 55 percent zone where you end up losing moneyfrom the juice all season long... that is of course, isn't good enough. I'll get it together one of these years, I'd love to just really be ableto focus on it like a professional.. have that be my job, but i'd be homeless then.
laugh.gif

Davidson is giving UNC all they can handle the first 10 minutes... I'm convinced that their front 5 is good enough to beat any team in this country onany given night.. They are so smart and know each other so well, they are very well coached and hustle all over the court.. plus, if they get hot, watch out.
Props to Carolina for scheduling them.. i think Carolina's depth ends up having them pull away here, but this is a very good game so far.

I'm convinced that their front 5 is good enough to beat any team in this country on any given night.. They are so smart and know each other so well, they are very well coached and hustle all over the court.. plus, if they get hot, watch out.
Yeah they are good. Curry has such a fast shot he is almost impossible to guard......push up on him...he is to fast and he will go right byyou...back off even the slightest and the shot is goin up.....very enjoyable player to watch.

Yeah Davidson is definitely not backing down and that good to see. We need the tough games early on to make us better down the road

unc starting to pull away though, Stephon Curry is pretty damn good. He has such a quick trigger

I don't really know what you are trying to prove Gottlieb Jr. If I believed that Cuse played their best these last 2 games, that would be a real bad sign,wouldn't it? They played nowhere near their potential, which they won't for a little while. We didn't play bad, however we played bad compared tohow we will look by midseason. Fordham won't be a blowout and neither will Ohio St. An unexperienced team such as ours won't look incredible against asolid competition right away. Now, if we played a team like Penn St right now....blowout city
laugh.gif

(From the arena right now...)

Dumb move by Hansbrough, opening the door back up for Davidson. They could've put them away out of the half. It's funny, Davidson isn't even reallywinning this game on the perimeter -- they're winning it inside. I'll have a writeup on our site after the game/early tomorrow depending onwho wins.

Davidson gave us all we wanted tonight. I can't wait to see this team play Duke in the same arena, UCLA, and State in a few weeks when they are a bit morepolished. I think I might even try to catch that game in Raleigh. It's good to know that we can hits some shots from the perimeter down the stretch,something that hurt us last year. It's a gutsy way to start the season, imo the game had a tournament feel to it and that should give us some confidenceentering the season.

Wow...I just got home from practice at 8:45 and turned on ESPN2 and my eyes went
eek.gif
. 4 point win...OUChrisLitt, youwere right, I under estimated Davidson.

By the way, OUChrisLitt, do you work for Sporting News?

UNC-Davidson was a great game. Davidson missed a lot of chippies down the stretch and it's hard to win like that. Huge shot by Ellington at the end, thatwas a great move. This shows that on a neutral court, a team like Davidson can play with anybody in the country.

By the way, OUChrisLitt, do you work for Sporting News?
Yes, I'm an editor, but I also write fantasy football, college basketball and a mashup of all sorts of sports culture stuff (fashion, kicks,gaming, etc.).

Fun game tonight. I'll have something up on the site tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom